Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Is there a mod that reintroduces that old constructor exploration bug? If not, how would I go about adding that back in? I have no idea if that is even possible but I need it bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Tigey posted:

I guarantee within a week someone will upload a mod to Steam that makes it so all the black human pops are automatically enslaved and owned by white human pops

Probably less than a week

1 hour after it goes live, I bet.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Is there a tentative ETA on when armies will get unfucked? It's still annoying I have to spend the amount of time/micro on something that is objectively no fun. Also lol at the person who thought up Stellaris' army attachment system.

Other than that everything is looking pretty good.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

BadOptics posted:

Is there a tentative ETA on when armies will get unfucked? It's still annoying I have to spend the amount of time/micro on something that is objectively no fun. Also lol at the person who thought up Stellaris' army attachment system.

Other than that everything is looking pretty good.

:shrug:

There's a dev diary coming out tomorrow that Wiz teased as having something big but who knows.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Base case scenario: Something that is done automatically and we can safely ignore it exists.

Worst case scenario: It'll make the current internal migration mechanic even more annoying as you try to get the right ratio of slaves and pops on each planet.

Seriously, this mechanic sounds like it'll bring us further into pop micromanagement hell. It certainly doesn't sound like it will make the game more fun. Why do this?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

GamingHyena posted:

Base case scenario: Something that is done automatically and we can safely ignore it exists.

Worst case scenario: It'll make the current internal migration mechanic even more annoying as you try to get the right ratio of slaves and pops on each planet.

Seriously, this mechanic sounds like it'll bring us further into pop micromanagement hell. It certainly doesn't sound like it will make the game more fun. Why do this?

I kinda wish they'd go all the way with this line of thinking and make slavery a pure pop-modifier rather than an actual enslaved pop on the grid, even though that has its own issues. It feels like the game's trying to change from planets full of slaves building row upon row of pyramids for the Goa'uld masters to something a bit more nuanced and I'm not sure pops-on-the-grid is the best way to represent that.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Ok question. I haven't' played since launch but have had a new game going that has gone well until now with the DLC. I'm in a spiral 4 armed galaxy and am in the inner most 'ring' for the most part. There are two FE's in the ring above mine (the one that doesn't let you settle on Gaia worlds, and military isolationists). The isolationists seemed far enough away I would have no problem with them because again they were in the 'ring' above mine and a lot of empty space in between. I settled a planet within my existing territory that was on the north side of my 'ring'. That seemed to have angered the FE greatly as apparently they deem it too close and they declared war on me.

What do I even do? There is no way I can fight them and they didn't even give me any ultimatums or anything like I thought FEs did. If i had settled on the planet and they warned me I would have backed off but I never even got that option. I also don't even seem to be able to peace out instantly. I'm just pretty frustrated as I feel like I have no options except for my entire civ getting destroyed for no reason. Any advice?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Go to the war screen and surrender. They'll enforce all their demands, which will be cleansing that planet, killing your ruler, and a 10 happiness penalty.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

PittTheElder posted:

Go to the war screen and surrender. They'll enforce all their demands, which will be cleansing that planet, killing your ruler, and a 10 happiness penalty.

Well that sucks but thanks. I didn't even realize I could select the different demands on the war screen which was what my problem was. I surrendered and took the hit.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

insider posted:

Ok question. I haven't' played since launch but have had a new game going that has gone well until now with the DLC. I'm in a spiral 4 armed galaxy and am in the inner most 'ring' for the most part. There are two FE's in the ring above mine (the one that doesn't let you settle on Gaia worlds, and military isolationists). The isolationists seemed far enough away I would have no problem with them because again they were in the 'ring' above mine and a lot of empty space in between. I settled a planet within my existing territory that was on the north side of my 'ring'. That seemed to have angered the FE greatly as apparently they deem it too close and they declared war on me.

What do I even do? There is no way I can fight them and they didn't even give me any ultimatums or anything like I thought FEs did. If i had settled on the planet and they warned me I would have backed off but I never even got that option. I also don't even seem to be able to peace out instantly. I'm just pretty frustrated as I feel like I have no options except for my entire civ getting destroyed for no reason. Any advice?

In the future before you settle around FE isolationists put down a outpost in the system you want to colonize and then check the diplomacy screen with them. If it's too close their relations with you will go down and you'll see a modifier that you're settling too close. Then you can just destroy the outpost and they'll be fine. Weirdly enough they don't seem to care about territorial boundaries or mining/science stations so you can still colonize a nearby system and have your territory bleed into systems that they wouldn't let you settle.

Unfortunately, I don't remember if the old trick of "settle a system FE xenophobes hate and before they declare war on you then give the colony to some empire you hate" still works.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/892990952645722112

Gotta be the release date announcement, right?

Also:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/893004548146692096

"Special Values" ?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Its Hide Obsolete and restrict by size

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

Am I correct in thinking there's no "only show highest tech version" button in the ship designer?
Thanks Wiz! :woop:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Playstation 4 posted:

Its Hide Obsolete and restrict by size

Restrict buy size is already a thing now but yes, thank gently caress for hide obsolete components. Scrolling through 50 pages of lasers and railguns to get to the battery was silly.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

All within a few years, I've just had:
Fallen Empire awaken and war mongering
Fanatic Purifiers eat all their neighbours and start leering at me
Scourge show up in my Federation partner and start gutting them.

I'm in the dead centre of this mess. The game's finally gotten interesting!

Trip report:

The scourge kill my partner, and rampage through my empire. I eventually build a bug hunter battleship fleet that can wipe the floor with them, but by this time I've lost so many space ports I'm on -700 energy a month from fleet upkeep. By the time I drain my resources clearing out half the sourge, Awakened Empire and Fanatics both declare war on me (thanks Federation!), and the glorious nation of mankind is officially toast.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Truga posted:

Restrict buy size is already a thing now but yes, thank gently caress for hide obsolete components. Scrolling through 50 pages of lasers and railguns to get to the battery was silly.
Assuming it applies to the fixed slots I'll finally give that Advanced Ship Behaviour mod a go.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Has there been a buff to Destroyer evasion too? Can't recall whether 40%+ with top drives is normal.

Edit: someone on Reddit has itemised the changes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/6razgp/all_changes_from_17_18_from_most_recent_wiz/

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 3, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Stream has started, there's some spooky placeholder animation going on atm.

E: trailer now.

Stellaris: Synthtetic Dawn

Coming soon.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-80-machine-empires.1038072/

Dev diary up too. This sounds totally brilliant, I must say.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Lots to like there, but the one thing that stuck out was that machine empires apparently have to manually build all pops?

They really need some kind of population manager or something, or at least a better interface. That said, I'm looking forward to the update and story pack.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I'm genuinely not too thrilled about the direction content is taking for Stellaris, none of the core things that make the game dull for me seem to be getting improved and it doesn't even really seem on the roadmap either.

Fleet building / combat boredom, pop management, planet management, etc

I played a few rounds of Utopia with leviathans, at this point I really feel like the next DLC should do some substantial under the hood changes and it doesn't seem like those will happen anytime soon. So barring some late 2017 stuff it will be like 1.5 years of "maybe next patch" gameplay.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well this is going to be the best stellaris expansion.

Wiz, you should've said "the worst kind of energy" though, when asked on stream how molten fleshy energy tastes like. :v:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm genuinely not too thrilled about the direction content is taking for Stellaris, none of the core things that make the game dull for me seem to be getting improved and it doesn't even really seem on the roadmap either.

Fleet building / combat boredom, pop management, planet management, etc

I played a few rounds of Utopia with leviathans, at this point I really feel like the next DLC should do some substantial under the hood changes and it doesn't seem like those will happen anytime soon. So barring some late 2017 stuff it will be like 1.5 years of "maybe next patch" gameplay.

All of that is on the roadmap, I can assure you.

From the outside the distinction might not be obvious because the scope grew during development, but Synthetic Dawn is a Story Pack like Leviathans before it and not an expansion like Utopia. There will still be major expansions and associated major system overhauls coming.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

This looks very cool, but having to build every pop manually? :cmon:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I want to make The Culture is all and all these robots are assholes. S'cool though, you guys do you.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Oh, nice story pack. It seems I will play the game again.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Bold Robot posted:

The alternative would be... having the game automatically take away some minerals and energy to build a new pop whenever it is able? Probably wouldn't be very appreciated in the early game.

We are adding improved build queuing for robots, so scheduling full robotic population (verb) of a planet will take no more than a few seconds.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

I want to make The Culture is all and all these robots are assholes. S'cool though, you guys do you.

To be fair, the assimilators seem nice. They want to make all organics a part of their Empire!

I'm kind of miffed that there are no individualist robot realms, but at least we got more options besides "DeathKillDestroy". Baby steps.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
I am curious if the Servitors can have migration-treaties.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

LordMune posted:

The alternative would be... having the game automatically take away some minerals and energy to build a new pop whenever it is able? Probably wouldn't be very appreciated in the early game.

We are adding improved build queuing for robots, so scheduling full robotic population (verb) of a planet will take no more than a few seconds.

I dunno, but you could have added a small resource drain and have them "grow" like a normal population once it reaches the threshold for a new bot. Not as thematic, but jfc am I not looking forwards to even more micro busywork.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bug Squash posted:

I dunno, but you could have added a small resource drain and have them "grow" like a normal population once it reaches the threshold for a new bot. Not as thematic, but jfc am I not looking forwards to even more micro busywork.

Yeah, having growing robot pops consume minerals like regular pops consume food would be fine.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Relevant Tangent posted:

I mean arguably the Culture is just the Rogue Servitors from the update. :v:

Honestly the three special civics basically read as Skynet, the Borg and The Culture to me.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

LordMune posted:

The alternative would be the option to automate once colonies reach a certain size, or the ongoing drain mentioned above. People are complaining about pop management being fiddly already, and you're going to get more following the patch. I don't mind it myself, but I'm pretty certain others will.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bold Robot posted:

They already said they're adding functionality for building robo pops en masse with a couple clicks. Seems like a non issue.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The problem is that the colony management system is too micro-management busywork and needs a rework, and I worry that by adding to the system, paradox is going locking in the current system. Personally I wish that planets were managed more like EU4's provinces, with a building added to every once in a while instead of constantly, and pops were interacted with more through edicts and politically themed systems like vicky II's elections.

But I understand that dev time is limited and there are thousands of nerds pulling in different directions.

e:^^^^^^ did not see it, will investigate

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 3, 2017

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I think the new story pack looks great. While we've all felt a little annoyed about cumbersome game systems getting in the way of fun, what always keeps me coming back to the game are the great creative and roleplaying possibilities that the game presents. This pack sounds like an awesome addition to my favorite aspect of the game!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

From the 7/20/17 dev diary:

quote:

Robot Building
We've also made some improvements to how you build robotic pops. Robotic pops are now built through their own 'Build Pop' interface in the planet view, which lets you select what robotic model you want to build and also has the option to start building several Pops at a time. If this option is checked, you will be able to build robotic Pops on any number of tiles with one simple click each, massively cutting down on the clicking needed to fill up a planet. Note that this is only a UI change, and does not in any way change the mechanics of how robotic Pops are built.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Its a bandage thats better than nothing, but it still involve a massive outlay of resources to que everything at once. We're trading efficient use of minerals for not dealing with a crap system, which seems like an rear end backwards way of doing things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

You could read The Culture as being the rogue servitor type, as in practice, all the human-likes do is gently caress and mope, while the omnipotent god computers do all the actual decision making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

You could read The Culture as being the rogue servitor type, as in practice, all the human-likes do is gently caress and mope, while the omnipotent god computers do all the actual decision making.

Rogue Servitors are the Culture, yeah. If you read the flavor text for the example empire they're working exactly as intended.

• Locked thread