Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I went to Wikipedia to find out who this person was and....

quote:

Neera Tanden (born September 10,[1] 1970) is an American policy adviser and the President of the Center for Corncob Politics [2], a public policy research and advocacy organization in Washington, D.C.[3] She has served in this role since November 2011, before that serving as Chief Operating Officer from 2010 and in earlier roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
e: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ loving gently caress you. you beat me because I included an image! :argh: :argh:

Read about this stupid corncob backlash, then ended up googling Neera Tanden.

First line of her wiki right now

Well played.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

happyhippy posted:

Looking forward to future rap songs trying to rhyme on 'Corncob'.

Oh wait, 'knob'.

'Lou Dobbs'

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

WeAreTheRomans posted:

e: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ loving gently caress you. you beat me because I included an image! :argh: :argh:

Now who's the corncob? :smug:

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

SLOB ON MY KNOB LIKE IT'S CORN ON THE COB

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I actually had no idea who Al Giordano is so I looked him up and

Ah, yeah, okay. Challenging progressives from the center sure is a great strategy these days, Al.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

VotGs posted:

I get the feeling they're confusing 'corncob' with 'cornholing', which is a pretty old term for anal sex, especially anal rape in prison. Wikipedia says that 'corncob' was a synonym for 'cornhole' from the 70s, but I've never particularly heard it used that way.

I've heard "corncob" used in ways that indicate butt stuff a VERY small handful of times, but that's absolutely not what's going on in the dril tweet and it basically denies the abilities of words to have 2 definitions.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

interesting:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/893130662865186816

i assumed that was just going to get buried but maybe not

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Christ, do we have to turn every random dumb statement on twitter into another civil war?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

evilweasel posted:

interesting:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/893130662865186816

i assumed that was just going to get buried but maybe not

well I guess for some in the GOP this is a way of turning against Trump for now. If he continues to abuse his own party's congress while contributing nothing (what else is he gonna do?) then hopefully they pick up the pace a bit. I'd rather they get him out before he bombs pyongyang or whatever

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 3, 2017

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Hey y'all remember on Futurama where bender was the Pharaoh and he made everyone's life miserable, and they did everything he asked them to, and he became an even bigger jerk, and then even his lovely underlings were like "gently caress this throw him in the garbage. Don't even try to make up a plausible excuse."

How far are we from that?

Ever since I saw Birds Rights Activist I think this is how pussy grabber talks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh poo poo what does this mean???

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
... anyway in real news:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/893129838445330432

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

HappyHippo posted:

I went to Wikipedia to find out who this person was and....

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Read about this stupid corncob backlash, then ended up googling Neera Tanden.

First line of her wiki right now

Well played.

Looks like you guys posted In Tandem

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

We need to reconcile ourselves to the fact that people on the same side as us are going to have dumb views and make dumb statements and not reflexively make a deal of this.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Oh he's going to fire him now out of spite

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Amazon pays very well, apparently. Last report I read had that there is a large influx in people quitting their jobs which is an actual good thing because it indicates security and opportunity In the labor market.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Couldn't Trump veto this, though? And unless it has a veto-proof majority, it won't actually matter, right?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

:eng101:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Couldn't Trump veto this, though? And unless it has a veto-proof majority, it won't actually matter, right?

It'll look extremely bad and be tough to defend. So that's something at least.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Chimp is a breathtakingly stupid clown, but he can still inflict untold harm on the country. Good thing we have a strong left that's willing to stand up for the important issues of the day!

https://twitter.com/AlGiordano/status/892949286543077377

Oh.

As a member of the church of Dudeism I find it highly offensive that he would use the term "dude" in a derogatory manner.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boon posted:

Amazon pays very well, apparently. Last report I read had that there is a large influx in people quitting their jobs which is an actual good thing because it indicates security and opportunity In the labor market.

amazon pays well for skilled labor, not for unskilled labor, and the wages listed there for unskilled labor are not "very well" paying jobs

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Teddybear posted:

It'll look extremely bad and be tough to defend. So that's something at least.
Trump doesn't care about looking bad, though.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/onesarahjones/status/893083608893849601

Saw this posted earlier today and its interesting given the current ridiculous corncobbed thing. Especially this quote:

"If the center wants to win over a suspicious left, they can start by clearly explaining their policy orientation, particularly in areas where they might have fallen short by the supposed standards of the modern Democratic Party — which all three of the above candidates have done in various ways. If they want to deepen divisions, they can use cynical accusations of bigotry to try to beat back any leftist challenger."

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Crows Turn Off posted:

Trump doesn't care about looking bad, though.

Yeah but Sessions is recused and the more obnoxious and obviously guilty Trump makes himself look the less likely Congress is to approve his pick to replace Sessions. Unless Trump does a recess appointment but I dunno if he'll have the opportunity to do that any time soon. That's the best outcome in that situation at least.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Crows Turn Off posted:

If it actually came to a vote on the floor of both houses, it probably would have a veto-proof majority. The biggest obstacle is probably Ryan and/or McConnell quietly killing it by not scheduling a vote for it.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Today in: how to be an insufferable shithead on the internet (WIRED edition)

https://twitter.com/cragcrest/status/893125430873640960

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
One interesting thing about this administration that may be a silver lining is the rolling back of executive power. We aren't there yet but the Russian sanctions bill (which specifically limits him), this special council protection, and the talk of preventing Trump from defunding the subsidies are all moving in that direction.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

evilweasel posted:

amazon pays well for skilled labor, not for unskilled labor, and the wages listed there for unskilled labor are not "very well" paying jobs

Sadly, $13.75, full-time, and health insurance is a massive step up for most people with only a high school degree.

The Amazon Warehouse in my area hires seasonal workers from September-January and pays $22 an hour with no benefits.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, I should have stated compensation (benefits) - which I guess are pretty good.

That said I don't know and am working on heresay.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

If it actually came to a vote on the floor of both houses, it probably would have a veto-proof majority. The biggest obstacle is probably Ryan and/or McConnell quietly killing it by not scheduling a vote for it.

that can be gotten around via discharge petition, and while that virtually never happens it's possible that you could cobble together the votes for it if the media started asking pointed questions why republicans were supposedly for this bill but unwilling to take steps needed to get a vote

a discharge petition basically requires the bill to get a vote, but it never happens because signing one when your party controls the house is seen as an incredible act of disloyalty as making sure the speaker/majority leader has the power to kill bills that will force your side to take hard votes protects your entire caucus, and if discharge petitions become a thing that the public pays attention to as the "real vote" (much like they have with votes to break a filibuster) then suddenly that becomes a problem

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

I actually had no idea who Al Giordano is so I looked him up and

Ah, yeah, okay. Challenging progressives from the center sure is a great strategy these days, Al.

Also that part of the article is lies. AFAICT the actual news is that in June 2016 he said that if Sanders didn't concede and endorse HRC before the convention he'll challenge him for Vermont in 2018. But Sanders did. So....?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 3, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sadly, $13.75, full-time, and health insurance is a massive step up for most people with only a high school degree.

The Amazon Warehouse in my area hires seasonal workers from September-January and pays $22 an hour with no benefits.

oh yeah, the more unskilled labor jobs the better and there's a reason the applicants are beating down their door to get hired, per the article

but it's important to remember those are still poverty-level jobs (and miserable ones, by all accounts, at that)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The online comments about the exchange between Miller and Acosta are deranged. :psyduck:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
T_D is taking the following WikiLeaks tweet as a coded message that Trump is going to be "taken out" like Kennedy.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/893064603021824000

Normally wouldn't post about T_D, but drat if some of the responses aren't... disturbing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

The online comments about the exchange between Miller and Acosta are deranged. :psyduck:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

that can be gotten around via discharge petition, and while that virtually never happens it's possible that you could cobble together the votes for it if the media started asking pointed questions why republicans were supposedly for this bill but unwilling to take steps needed to get a vote

a discharge petition basically requires the bill to get a vote, but it never happens because signing one when your party controls the house is seen as an incredible act of disloyalty as making sure the speaker/majority leader has the power to kill bills that will force your side to take hard votes protects your entire caucus, and if discharge petitions become a thing that the public pays attention to as the "real vote" (much like they have with votes to break a filibuster) then suddenly that becomes a problem

yeah, this is a path that they really don't want to go down because today the discharge petition might force the leadership to schedule a vote for a good bill, but tomorrow your opponents might force you to make an awkward no vote on the "preventing kittens from being thrown into wood-chippers act" that includes funding for unrelated projects you don't support.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Mortanis posted:

Normally wouldn't post about T_D, but drat if some of the responses aren't... disturbing.

Theres farrrrrrr too much :psypop: in that to process

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I too think members of the left bitching about currently sitting Senators when we need everyone to stop a literal fascist is a good use of our time!

What a bunch of loving retards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mortanis posted:

T_D is taking the following WikiLeaks tweet as a coded message that Trump is going to be "taken out" like Kennedy.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/893064603021824000

These fuckin' weirdos aren't going to do poo poo no matter what happens

• Locked thread