Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
What's cool about the 16-bit and even the 32-bit eras is that all the systems were different and each had its own flavor and style and you could tell what system it was just by looking at the graphics \ sound. Genesis, SNES and PC Engine were all really really different.

Many a schoolyard argument was fought over which was better, Genesis or Super Nintendo, but the correct answer is both because if you just go for one, you'll be missing out.

Even the N64 \ Saturn \ PS1 were still very different, even though the Saturn and PS1 were similar and shared a lot of games that were nearly identical. The N64 was the odd man out because it was the start of Nintendo was stupid and stuck to cartridges and it was the beginning of the end of their dominance over consoles

Sega and Nintendo were great foils. Nintendo are grumpy old men who don't understand technology newer than a VCR whereas Sega was really ahead of its time and a lot of the things Sega pioneered that ultimately flopped are commonplace today, like online console gaming (the Dreamcast), DLC \ expansion packs (Sonic & Knuckles basically), backwards compatibility (the Genesis \ SMS power converter) streaming video on a portable device (Game Gear TV tuner) games on optical media (Sega CD) and so on

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Even the N64 \ Saturn \ PS1 were still very different, even though the Saturn and PS1 were similar and shared a lot of games that were nearly identical. The N64 was the odd man out because it was the start of Nintendo was stupid and stuck to cartridges and it was the beginning of the end of their dominance over consoles

Really? I would've said that the 64 and PlayStation were more similar as properly designed to be 3D first systems, whereas the Saturn was kinda the ultimate 2D system in a newly 3D world.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sega and Nintendo were great foils. Nintendo are grumpy old men who don't understand technology newer than a VCR whereas Sega was really ahead of its time and a lot of the things Sega pioneered that ultimately flopped are commonplace today, like online console gaming (the Dreamcast), DLC \ expansion packs (Sonic & Knuckles basically), backwards compatibility (the Genesis \ SMS power converter) streaming video on a portable device (Game Gear TV tuner) games on optical media (Sega CD) and so on

On the other hand, Nintendo introduced the analogue stick in the 64 (remember the PSX shipped without them) and built-in 4-player. And the SNES had a bunch of great technology decisions that gave it much more life than the Genesis: mode 7, in-cartridge processors, a better graphics pipeline, whereas Sega made a bunch of losing technology bets with the 32x and Sega CD (fine tech, but not as Genesis add-ons) and the whole Saturn architecture.

Nintendo's only real misstep in those days was cartridges for the 64. It was only the GameCube era where they went full curmudgeon and refused to embrace things (twins sticks for fps, online play, DVD player)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 3, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sega Channel was basically PS+/GamesWithGold but 15 years early

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

12 DAYS TO GO

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/mXsHRFA.mp4

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Robotnik's deadly speed trap

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/892662568413577216

So tiny, so perfect.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edlPcKaNMcY

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Apparently even with the DIrect X Guff, Mania is smaller than the Sega CD Version of Sonic CD.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Apparently even with the DIrect X Guff, Mania is smaller than the Sega CD Version of Sonic CD.

Sonic CD was about 450 megs, 320 megs audio and 130 megs data. Modern compression can fit that audio quality into a fraction the size, and it's not shabby on binary data either.

The Steam remaster of CD was 290 megs, and that included both soundtracks, the past music as recordings (it was synthesized like other genesis games originally), the high quality intro/outro, and probably the same DirectX guff Mania has.

Mania is 400.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 3, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

More importantly, does this Ruin Mania Forever?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I can't wait til the 16th when I awaken from my mania sleep after playing til eight in the morning and flip on youtube, watch an unrelated video and then all the recommended videos are "mania sux" and "is mania the greatest letdown in human history" and "killing myself irl over mania because the jump sound is 8% off the perfect frequency due to mp3 file compression clipping the last 18 nanoseconds"

Also those weird, weird RadicalSoda thumbnails.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Much love for the YM2612 when it's in good hands. I wish there was a thread for discussing dope Genesis tunes, or maybe there is and I just missed it.

Lately I've been grabbing Yuzo Koshiro's Genesis game soundtracks on vinyl from Data-Discs. So far I have Streets of Rage 1 and Revenge of Shinobi. Waiting for my order of SoR2 and (to bring things back to the thread topic) the Sonic Mania soundtrack to ship.

https://data-discs.com/collections/all

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Really? I would've said that the 64 and PlayStation were more similar as properly designed to be 3D first systems, whereas the Saturn was kinda the ultimate 2D system in a newly 3D world.

This is both true and also kinda not sorta? The Saturn is by far the best at 2D games (especially with the ram cart), especially fighting games because a lot of versions of the same Capcom fighters are lovely on the PS1. That said, the Saturn and PS1 share a LOT of the same games, like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, the Lost World, most Capcom fighters, Mega Man 8/X4, Castlevania SOTN, so on and so forth. Many are better on the Saturn and many others are better on the PS1, but they were often less different than Genesis or SNES versions (but again, not always).

Granted, both have a lot of great exclusives so I'd still recommend both and I'm also an unabashed Sega fanboy and I love the Saturn and believe it's the most underrated console of all time so I'm naturally going to be biased towards the Saturn. I have way more Saturn games than PS1 actually and my PS1 library mostly consists of great PS1 games I can't also get on Saturn (like Metal Gear Solid, the Final Fantasy games, SOTN, Mega Man Legends, etc.) It's just the Saturn was a hell of a lot harder to code for, didn't have transparencies and programmers had to jump through hoops to get 3D going right. The Saturn could have run games like Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy VII, it's just that the devs chose not to port them.

And then on the flip side, the N64 is kind of its own thing as far as software is concerned and doesn't really share a lot of games with the PS1 or Saturn. Something like 90% of the N64 games worth having are either made by Nintendo or Rare, and the other 10% are a few third party games like Bomberman 64 or Mischief Makers which still aren't on other systems.

MikeJF posted:

On the other hand, Nintendo introduced the analogue stick in the 64 (remember the PSX shipped without them) and built-in 4-player. And the SNES had a bunch of great technology decisions that gave it much more life than the Genesis: mode 7, in-cartridge processors, a better graphics pipeline, whereas Sega made a bunch of losing technology bets with the 32x and Sega CD (fine tech, but not as Genesis add-ons) and the whole Saturn architecture.

Nintendo's only real misstep in those days was cartridges for the 64. It was only the GameCube era where they went full curmudgeon and refused to embrace things (twins sticks for fps, online play, DVD player)

That's true.

Some people love Nintendo, some hate Nintendo, me, all I can say is that Nintendo is a really weird company that doesn't make sense a lot of the time.

Sega is also really weird too and also very, very dumb. I think the Sega CD and 32X are cool as gently caress because they make my Genesis into a gigantic hideous monstrosity, even though in reality they really kind of suck. The 32X was a bad idea from the get go, but the Sega CD could have been really great, but for some stupid reason it has a lot of awful FMV games. I mean, the PC Engine CD had a great library, why couldn't the Sega CD have more games like that? They ported a few over, like Lords of Thunder, but not that many. Imagine Rondo of Blood or Gate of Thunder on the Sega CD. That would have been sick.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't put Sanic in a blender!!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/893125971439529984

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

New video showing special stage from the official channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qoc-As7hWc4

drat u beep so fast. ..

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

drat u beep so fast. ..

Your to slow

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

hell yeah, bringing back the best special stage

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Blue sphere wtf

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They're throwing some serious shade on Sonic R there.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why do you say throwing shade? I think it all looks great. I'm actually really really excited to play those stages! I love the lovely 32bit Sega Saturn sonic and draw distance lol wow the reimagined blue spheres looks good. So nice and wide

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spiderdrake posted:

New video showing special stage from the official channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qoc-As7hWc4

drat u beep so fast. ..

O WAY?? NO WAY!! NO WAY?? NO WAY!! N

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

So, which one gives emeralds

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I've already watched this six times.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

drat u beep so fast. ..

Oh my loving god this is gonna be the best game ever

I have wanted this loving game since 1994

I almost want to take a day off work just to play Sonic Mania

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Did I just see sonic charge up a spin dash in mid air and then release it automatically when he hit the ground

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CJacobs posted:

Did I just see sonic charge up a spin dash in mid air and then release it automatically when he hit the ground

That's the drop-dash.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It's like the first thing they ever showed off. The drop dash.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

special stages look really cool, sonic looks kinda weird tho
not because he's low-poly, that's cool, but his color looks weird

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

kirbysuperstar posted:

The best thing about the 16-bit consoles was the sheer amount of Seinfeld slap-bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj66eoC8ntI

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Blue Sphere as a bonus stage is really weird. It's kinda long

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Augus posted:

special stages look really cool, sonic looks kinda weird tho

It's his model from the 32-bit days (NiGHTS, sonic jam, sonic 3d blast and Sonic R).

MAN one of my favorite touches about the game that just shows their attention to detail and love for the series is how sonic's movement can accelerate faster than the screen scroll. That is love.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It was kinda hard to tell but it looks like time attack mode has a quick restart button. Yep, this game is for me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

looks like dropdash only gives you the speed of a moderate spindash, so it's balanced pretty well I guess

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah what's going to be the point of doing a blue sphere stage as a special stage? Are there time stones and chaos emeralds to collect or something?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Two Beans posted:

Much love for the YM2612 when it's in good hands. I wish there was a thread for discussing dope Genesis tunes, or maybe there is and I just missed it.

Fukken make one, man. Threads are free. No one reads OPs so just start the conversation.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Wow. Looks like some time was spent playing Sonic R to tune the special stages. That looks great.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

God this game looks so loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

It's his model from the 32-bit days (NiGHTS, sonic jam, sonic 3d blast and Sonic R).

MAN one of my favorite touches about the game that just shows their attention to detail and love for the series is how sonic's movement can accelerate faster than the screen scroll. That is love.

Yeah I really dig those models from Sonic R \ 3D Blast \ Jam and wish there had been a proper Sonic game of the time. The fact that this game has them is the coolest poo poo in the world