Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

When does this rally take place?

It takes a while to gather that many Bund members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Riptor posted:

is he making another boy scout speech

Outdoor cinema version of the piss tape.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Please let this be nothing

a big 'ol nothingburger

That's what we need right now

Please don't let this be an announcement to end CSR, or ban trans individuals from the military, or anything like that

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Paradoxish posted:

They offer health insurance apparently, but at least according to that article the actual wages for these jobs are very low. The high-end of the scale given is $13/hour, which is actually on the low side for warehouse work. Warehouse jobs can be pretty awful and even lovely companies tend to offer at least slightly better than retail wages so that people have any reason at all to stick around.

Yeah Warehouse jobs here start at $18 hr in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BlueberryCanary posted:

a big 'ol nothingburger

Please don't let this be an announcement to end CSR, or ban trans individuals from the military, or anything like that

By the way he said the media is going to love it, God knows.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I can't wait for the announcement to leak out in a half hour

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

I once read an article that said that people who post about doing things online are less likely to accomplish that goal because talking about it and getting karma/likes/upvotes/farts give you the same satisfaction as having actually done it and thus your motivation is gone. Is there a word for this effect?

I dunno if there's a term for it but there's evidence that telling people your goals (internet or not) can make you less likely to achieve them: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ulterior-motives/200905/if-you-want-succeed-don-t-tell-anyone

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

BlueberryCanary posted:

a big 'ol nothingburger

Stopping CSRs actually might hilariously backfire and end up increasing the amount of overall subsidies the government pays out, making healthcare more affordable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Reik posted:

Stopping CSRs actually might hilariously backfire and end up increasing the amount of overall subsidies the government pays out, making healthcare more affordable.

How do?

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Reik posted:

How so?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
If he announces that he's cutting CSR there's a decent chance Congress removes his ability to do that.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my loving god. Leaked transcript of Trump's phone convos with Pena Nieto and Malcom Turnbull. They are basically treating him with kid gloves and giving him baby-talk on international policy while Trump randomly interjects with references to his amazing election victory:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/australia-mexico-transcripts/?utm_term=.a155c95aaa9c

Here's a snippet from his discussion with Turnbull about accepting refugees through Australia in late January:

quote:

TRUMP
Malcom [sic], why is this so important? I do not understand. This is going to kill me. I am the world’s greatest person that does not want to let people into the country. And now I am agreeing to take 2,000 people and I agree I can vet them, but that puts me in a bad position. It makes me look so bad and I have only been here a week.

TURNBULL
With great respect, that is not right – It is not 2,000.

TRUMP
Well, it is close. I have also heard like 5,000 as well.

TURNBULL
The given number in the agreement is 1,250 and it is entirely a matter of your vetting. I think that what you could say is that the Australian government is consistent with the principles set out in the Executive Order.

TRUMP
No, I do not want say that. I will just have to say that unfortunately I will have to live with what was said by Obama. I will say I hate it. Look, I spoke to Putin, Merkel, Abe of Japan, to France today, and this was my most unpleasant call because I will be honest with you. I hate taking these people. I guarantee you they are bad. That is why they are in prison right now. They are not going to be wonderful people who go on to work for the local milk people.

TURNBULL
I would not be so sure about that. They are basically —

TRUMP
Well, maybe you should let them out of prison. I am doing this because Obama made a bad deal. I am not doing this because it fits into my Executive Order. I am taking 2,000 people from Australia who are in prison and the day before I signed an Executive Order saying that we are not taking anybody in. We are not taking anybody in, those days are over.

TURNBULL
But can I say to you, there is nothing more important in business or politics than a deal is a deal. Look, you and I have a lot of mutual friends.

TRUMP
Look, I do not know how you got them to sign a deal like this, but that is how they lost the election. They said I had no way to 270 and I got 306. That is why they lost the election, because of stupid deals like this. You have brokered many a stupid deal in business and I respect you, but I guarantee that you broke many a stupid deal. This is a stupid deal. This deal will make me look terrible.

TURNBULL
Mr. President, I think this will make you look like a man who stands by the commitments of the United States. It shows that you are a committed —

TRUMP
Okay, this shows me to be a dope. I am not like this but, if I have to do it, I will do it but I do not like this at all. I will be honest with you. Not even a little bit. I think it is ridiculous and Obama should have never signed it. The only reason I will take them is because I have to honor a deal signed by my predecessor and it was a rotten deal. I say that it was a stupid deal like all the other deals that this country signed. You have to see what I am doing. I am unlocking deals that were made by people, these people were incompetent. I am not going to say that it fits within the realm of my Executive Order. We are going to allow 2,000 prisoners to come into our country and it is within the realm of my Executive Order? If that is the case my Executive Order does not mean anything Malcom [sic]. I look like a dope. The only way that I can do this is to say that my predecessor made a deal and I have no option then to honor the deal. I hate having to do it, but I am still going to vet them very closely. Suppose I vet them closely and I do not take any?

TURNBULL
That is the point I have been trying to make.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe he's just resigning because he hates waking up every day

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Subsidies to the insurance companies are tied to the lowest cost silver plan. If you cut subsidies to mitigate risk from the sickest people, the insurance companies will dramatically raise the cost of these silver plans thereby making the cost of a bronze plan much cheaper or make a gold plan similar in cost to a silver plan.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BlueberryCanary posted:

a big 'ol nothingburger

Is this the big announcement

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

I dunno if there's a term for it but there's evidence that telling people your goals (internet or not) can make you less likely to achieve them: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ulterior-motives/200905/if-you-want-succeed-don-t-tell-anyone

That's the exact article I read! I like "virtue signaling"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CSR subsidies apply to Silver plans only. See: https://obamacarefacts.com/insurance-exchange/cost-sharing-reduction-subsidies-csr/ Ending them will only spike the cost of Silver plans.

Similarly, regular subsidies are based on the cost of Silver plans (specifically, the second-cheapest). So if you dramatically spike Silver plans, people get much larger subsidies for the (same-priced) bronze or gold plans.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Guys, we are looking at leaks bigly incorrect

https://twitter.com/joelpollak/status/893119247022305281

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

funkymonks posted:

He lost NH so that part isn't true.

But we do have an enormous problem with heroin and fentanyl relative to the size of the state.

I was wondering about the second part, but hearing the first part first was way funnier.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

JailTrump posted:

Yeah Warehouse jobs here start at $18 hr in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

I'm guessing this is sarcastic

Back in 2008, I had a warehouse job that paid all of $8.50 (and that was excitingly not minimum wage!!!) and while it was in somewhat bumfuck Arkansas it was also in the largest city within about a 3hr drive radius. I doubt the starting wage has gone up very much since then. Maybe to $10, MAYBE.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

No matter what happens with the CSR aftermath, I think even numb policy-ignorant Americans will not take kindly to Trump actively working to make their healthcare more expensive.

Maybe I'm still too optimistic.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Lets assume for a given area a plan that covers 100% of costs is $500 a month. If we use this to estimate premiums for bronze, silver, and gold using their AVs we would get final premiums of

Bronze = $500 * 60% = $300
Silver = $500 * 70% = $350
Gold = $500 * 80% = $400

Lets also assume another competitor exists that charges 10% more, so their final premiums are

Bronze = $330
Silver = $385
Gold = $440

In this area the second lowest silver plan is $385 a month. Lets say we are at a point under 400% FPL where our affordably monthly premium is $300 a month, which means we would receive $85 a month in subsidies. Our cheapest option would be to buy the Bronze plan paying $300 - $85 = $215 a month.

Now, lets say our glorious leader stops CSR payments. Because CSRs only apply to silver plans, when insurers set their rates they will only load up the premiums of silver plans to make up for the loss of CSR payments, Bronze and Gold will remain the same. Lets say insurers calculate they need a 15% increase to Silver to make up for CSRs.

Now, the second lowest silver plan is $385 * 115% = $442.75. Because we are under 400% of the FPL, the amount we would pay for this second lowest silver is still fixed at the $300 a month, so our subsidy increases from $85 to $142.75 a month. We can take this $142.75 subsidy and still apply it to the cheapest Bronze plan at $300 a month for a total net premium of $157.25, which is significantly lower than the $215 a month we were paying for this plan prior.

This is caused by the APTC (premium subsidies) and CSRs calculations being tied exclusively to Silver plans. If the premium subsidies were set to a Bronze or Gold plan this wouldn't happen.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

How can you be this dense? He didn't take a hard line, he complained about looking weak because those countries wouldn't let him have his hard line

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gnossiennes posted:

I'm guessing this is sarcastic

Back in 2008, I had a warehouse job that paid all of $8.50 (and that was excitingly not minimum wage!!!) and while it was in somewhat bumfuck Arkansas it was also in the largest city within about a 3hr drive radius. I doubt the starting wage has gone up very much since then. Maybe to $10, MAYBE.

i have this odd memory of 2008 having some vaguely negative economic issues that might be relevant here

B B
Dec 1, 2005

funkymonks posted:

He lost NH so that part isn't true.

Not if you don't count the millions of illegal votes.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sloober posted:

personally i get zero satisfaction from the internet. none. none at all.
I stay on the internet because it makes me miserable.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

"Virtue signaling" is almost exclusively used by alt-right shitheads, and isn't a matter of slacktivism but a cynical accusation that someone doesn't actually believe in the things they say they do.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

the black husserl posted:

No matter what happens with the CSR aftermath, I think even numb policy-ignorant Americans will not take kindly to Trump actively working to make their healthcare more expensive.

Maybe I'm still too optimistic.

It could possibly raise the cost of a silver plan but then not effect the price of gold and bronze plans while increasing the dollar amount of subsidies. It would be one of those things that if you did it, it may "backfire" and actually end up allowing more people to be insured and cost the government more money.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jesus Christ, don't ever say "virtue signalling" ever. That is up there with "white genocide" for words poo poo people say.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-epa-reverses-decision-to-delay-smog-rule-after-lawsuits/ar-AApmfiT

quote:

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reversed a decision to delay an Obama-era rule requiring states to curb smog-causing emissions, one day after 15 states sued the agency over the move.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

evilweasel posted:

i have this odd memory of 2008 having some vaguely negative economic issues that might be relevant here

Well, Trump wasn't President.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

"virtue signalling" is a lazy phrase used to insult someone for not being as much of a shithead as you are.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

B B posted:

Not if you don't count the billions of illegal votes.

FTFY

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Oh man. Please announce on TV that you are dramatically increasing insurance costs which will fall disproportionately on people in the very state you're announcing it in. Let them be ground zero. Burn down your support from the inside out.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Lote posted:

It could possibly raise the cost of a silver plan but then not effect the price of gold and bronze plans while increasing the dollar amount of subsidies. It would be one of those things that if you did it, it may "backfire" and actually end up allowing more people to be insured and cost the government more money.

Right but I'm saying the effects don't matter as much as Trump going on national television and saying "I just acted to take away your healthcare money! Obamacare is destroyed. Do you love me yet??"

It might backfire but Trump doesn't know that, clearly.

He's probably just going to announce some bullshit Jobs Are Actually Very Good nonsense act though.

This is amazing. I am super happy about this and so are my grandparents lungs.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Krispy Kareem posted:

Oh man. Please announce on TV that you are dramatically increasing insurance costs which will fall disproportionately on people in the very state you're announcing it in. Let them be ground zero. Burn down your support from the inside out.

Are you kidding, there won't be a single person among that crowd who wouldn't suckle from his back-teat greedily. They'd love him for it.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

the black husserl posted:

Right but I'm saying the effects don't matter as much as Trump going on national television and saying "I just acted to take away your healthcare money! Obamacare is destroyed. Do you love me yet??"

It might backfire but Trump doesn't know that, clearly.

He's probably just going to announce some bullshit Jobs Are Actually Very Good nonsense act though.

He's going to go on national televsision and say "If the out of touch senators won't protect the American people from the failing Obamacare I'll just have to do it myself!" and people will cheer for him just like they cheer every time he lies.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

BlueberryCanary posted:

a big 'ol nothingburger

He's going to unzip himself to reveal that he's been four angry raccoons stacked atop one-another the whole time.

His base will quickly rally around this new information and sales of coonskin hats will quadruple.

The irony of this will be labeled "fake news."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lamuella posted:

"virtue signalling" is a lazy phrase used to insult someone for not being as much of a shithead as you are.

I like replacing it with "shaming" and seeing if and how the meaning changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lamuella posted:

More specifically "virtue signalling' is the claim that when people are good or don't hate black people that they really actually do hate black people and are actually not good but just want to say they are to get SWJ points from saying it. It's a phrase based on lovely opinions of stuff like "we all hate jews, but some cucks learned to jerk each other over saying they don't"

• Locked thread