Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I think Titanfall 2 is a much better game than TF1, but I do miss the presentational stuff that people mentioned earlier, from TF1 Attrition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Insert name here posted:

I'll say the one thing the first game did head and shoulders over the second game was presentation and immersion with poo poo like all the animations being first-person and having AI minions show up in every game mode rather than just 3 (and in which 2 of them they're always enemies). Beyond that it's really just personal preference, like I personally preferred the overall aesthetic of the first game, and I liked being able to fully customize your Titan. Old-school rodeo was a blast too. Overall I'd definitely say TF2 is the better game to play, but there's just a bunch of very specific things I prefer from the first game that aren't necessarily bad in the second game, but I just liked the first game's version of it for one reason or the other.

Yeah. I miss everything being first person, the grunts chattering and interacting with the environment. Also the maps were way better. Its telling that almost all the maps they've added are from TF1.

I also think they nerfed the smart pistol way too hard. It was balanced in TF1, goddamnit. At least let us get more ammo if we do survive!

EDIT: Oh! The BIG customization thing I miss are the custom Titan voices. I get that they want the Titans to have a personality now, but I miss my sassy Russian Titan.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 3, 2017

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/a15M8fI.gifv

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ATweapons.gif

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

That marks the second time I've been trickshotted by a Scorch on that map.
First time was on the roof opposite.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
TF2 is a better game, but there were a lot of babies thrown out with the bathwater in the transition. The number and liveliness of the AI grunts, map design, SMG weapons having such absurd ranges(The r-97 was essentially a shotgun in use in the first game), weapon customization, challenges to use specific weapons to progress through regenerations, pilots not having bright glowing red visors, first person titan animations, etc

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Almost everything I miss from the first game has been replaced with something that I've come to like just as much, if not more.
• I loved the immersion of the 100% first person animations (being executed was hilarious) but I also love the new executions and other animations. Grand Theft Semi-Auto, Shadow Boxing, etc make it worth the change.
• I thought the campaign multiplayer was a really cool idea, but the singleplayer campaign in TF2 was really, really good and I wouldn't give it up to bring campaign multiplayer back. Plus it was not without it's issues, and really took a hit when they made some changes to account for lower player populations.
• Regenerating Titan shields worked well in the last game - moving from pilot to Titan meant moving from COD-esque to Halo-esque gameplay, and it was amazing that the two gameplay styles coexisted well in the same space. But I think TF2 is well balanced without regen shields.
• I easily prefer the "hero" style Titans to more customizable ones - it allows for more interesting abilities that would be impossible to balance if you could mix-n-match them.
• It's hard to go back to Titanfall without sliding. That almost makes TF2 the better game all by itself.

I loved the first game, like seriously it was in my Top 3 Games Of All Time (if not the number one game). And I love TF2 even more.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

There are titans in FD that are designated as snipers but the real snipers are the scorches.

Xarbala posted:

I actually do like the move from three varieties of customizable chassis to six (now seven) discrete "hero classes" of mech with specific and knowable capabilities.

I like that they kept the three chassis concept for the new titans, 2 Strider 2 Atlas and 2 Ogre. I think Monarch is an original chassis made by the militia?

Insert name here posted:

I'll say the one thing the first game did head and shoulders over the second game was presentation and immersion with poo poo like all the animations being first-person and having AI minions show up in every game mode rather than just 3 (and in which 2 of them they're always enemies). Beyond that it's really just personal preference, like I personally preferred the overall aesthetic of the first game, and I liked being able to fully customize your Titan. Old-school rodeo was a blast too. Overall I'd definitely say TF2 is the better game to play, but there's just a bunch of very specific things I prefer from the first game that aren't necessarily bad in the second game, but I just liked the first game's version of it for one reason or the other.

The first person entries and executions are what I miss the most. The immersion factor was top notch even when you were on the receiving end. I find that the 3rd person ones, in certain circumstances, can be a little disorienting. I also liked how rodeo worked before but I'm fine with the change. The main thing I miss was how you could hear someone climbing on your titan before the rodeo notification popped up. Now you get no sound and an immediate notification (or a delayed one with low profile).

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Getting executed in first person in BF3 and 4 was loving stressful

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. God that shuffling sound as you realized what was coming

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

That marks the second time I've been trickshotted by a Scorch on that map.
First time was on the roof opposite.
I imagine they gave the AI scorches aimbots because otherwise they wouldn't be a remote threat as soon as you left ground level. They don't seem to use the canisters from what I've seen, ( I'd guess because programming when to use it would be a pain in the rear end ) so they won't flood a roof with gas then light your rear end up, or punch you near the edge. They're still pretty helpless from a distance though.

Anyway, fun things for FD-

- Redeploying your own turrets restores their HP to 100%. Handy if they're left with a sliver at the end of a wave.
- Make sure to swap out your pistol for something else. I prefer a LMG because it mows down drones.
- Turrets are great for drones too, but arc mines don't need watching, and making the AI bunch up puts them in a perfect position for all sorts of fun stuff. Like Scorches, Northstars, and just leaping from one rodeo to the other while laughing like a maniac.
- ARC MINES. Seriously, Nuke Titans are not a problem when they're properly spaced and placed along the paths. They won't even get close.
- Don't hesitate to jump out of your Titan. Besides quickly repairing turrets, by the time you're done pissing about shooting at a rooftop with Mortar Spectres on, you could've already killed them on foot and be off murdering something else.
- Don't ragequit if you've levelled up stuff. You don't get any level ups. Even if you're the last one left, just tough it out or go get a beer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

limited posted:

Anyway, fun things for FD-

- Redeploying your own turrets restores their HP to 100%. Handy if they're left with a sliver at the end of a wave.
- Make sure to swap out your pistol for something else. I prefer a LMG because it mows down drones.
- Turrets are great for drones too, but arc mines don't need watching, and making the AI bunch up puts them in a perfect position for all sorts of fun stuff. Like Scorches, Northstars, and just leaping from one rodeo to the other while laughing like a maniac.
- ARC MINES. Seriously, Nuke Titans are not a problem when they're properly spaced and placed along the paths. They won't even get close.
- Don't hesitate to jump out of your Titan. Besides quickly repairing turrets, by the time you're done pissing about shooting at a rooftop with Mortar Spectres on, you could've already killed them on foot and be off murdering something else.
- Don't ragequit if you've levelled up stuff. You don't get any level ups. Even if you're the last one left, just tough it out or go get a beer.

THIS IS SOMETHING YOU CAN DO? I could have a Devotion and a snoipe? :aaa:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Playing with Devotion on FD makes the game like my own personal Saving Private Ryan. I think I mowed down like 80 out of the 95 grunts in the first wave on forward base kodai.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Olympic Mathlete posted:

THIS IS SOMETHING YOU CAN DO? I could have a Devotion and a snoipe? :aaa:
From what I've seen, grunts only drop Spitfires, the basic AR, and maybe a DMR if you're lucky. :(

Got to be quick though, as weapons on the ground despawn as the wave ends. I usually scoop up the first thing I find in wave one, but prefer a Spitfire. But if you die after wave two, you're pretty much stuck with your pistol, as grunts basically disappear.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Snak posted:

Playing with Devotion on FD makes the game like my own personal Saving Private Ryan. I think I mowed down like 80 out of the 95 grunts in the first wave on forward base kodai.

Yeah I set up on the left (from start) raised area with the trees behind the smoke with a threat scope and amped wall and ensure MVP within seconds. Electric smoke for hurling when you need to make sure minimal amounts of grunts get through.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Turns out Overcore+Sensor Array Legion kicks an absurd amount of rear end on FD Homestead.

Spent nearly the entire match holding down the trigger while swarms of drones burst into flames and nuke titans synchronized eruptions while an eagle screamed in front of an american flag

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

limited posted:

I imagine they gave the AI scorches aimbots because otherwise they wouldn't be a remote threat as soon as you left ground level. They don't seem to use the canisters from what I've seen, ( I'd guess because programming when to use it would be a pain in the rear end ) so they won't flood a roof with gas then light your rear end up, or punch you near the edge. They're still pretty helpless from a distance though.
They definitely use canisters, at least against your titan

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah they do use canisters they don't spam them like players can.

Anyone use Ronin much on FD? Any good?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Long Range Mode with Legion feels like a trap with this mode. Your clip is nowhere near large enough to get enough hits to build core fast enough. Short range mode feels like it hits often enough to build your core and enjoy some infinite ammo for a while.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I miss the different language packs you could buy for your titans. That's about it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Blind Duke posted:

Long Range Mode with Legion feels like a trap with this mode. Your clip is nowhere near large enough to get enough hits to build core fast enough. Short range mode feels like it hits often enough to build your core and enjoy some infinite ammo for a while.

I tried out the 'add more ammo' option for him for this reason, worked pretty well. I found myself reloading at inopportune times without it and getting pointless damage from titans with gently caress all health left. Those 40 extra bullets (IIRC) were the difference.

And remember long range mode with your core = gangbusters

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah they do use canisters they don't spam them like players can.

Anyone use Ronin much on FD? Any good?

I've only been playing for about 5 days, but Ronin's are fragile and can just poo poo out damage.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Blind Duke posted:

I disagree; I sit in long range mode about 75% of the time and feel I'm far more effective with it. LR power shot is far more versatile (use Hidden Compartment) and being able to reliably hit crit spots is important. I'm usually popping 10+ cores a match doing this.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bloodychill was using Ronin and mvp'ing just about every wave.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Bloodychill was using Ronin and mvp'ing just about every wave.

How to deal with nuclear Titans? Seems a death sentence,

TastesBlue
Jan 15, 2008
In frontier defense Ronin should have nuclear ejection.

Nuke eject in a group of titans and your Titan meter will be full again before you know it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Shouldn't everyone have nuke eject on FD

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Does your titan die that much?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Scorch should have Wildfire, as it fills his Core in just a few hits.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

xxEightxx posted:

Does your titan die that much?

idk nice to clear last minute waves when ya getting steam rolled

TastesBlue
Jan 15, 2008
I use nuke eject in frontier defense with ronin and northstar.

With ronin I nuke eject 3-5 times on round five. I almost always a have a new Titan ready by the time I hit the ground, thanks to the thunderbolt.

Sword core with ronin in later rounds is a lot of fun too.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
just got the executioner ability for Legion and yeah, this is pretty good

delete titans when they get to one bar of health

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I want to get Legion's aegis upgrades but I find the whole mode switch thing frustrating because I'm terrible at remembering to set it before engagements.

Northstar has been more fun than I expected so far though! Piercing shot plus the upgrade that makes the railgun charge faster is pretty rad.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
So I've got Legion to aegis 20 and while everyone is enamoured by the final upgrade (and for good reason, because it's awesome), I think drill shot is the real star. A 1.5x damage increase per enemy pierced with no cap is insane, especially if you get a map like Blackwater or Rise where it's easy to hit multiple titans.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'd quite like if your FD setups (pilot and titan) were separate from the standard MP gametypes as trying to switch back to a PVP pilot and titan can get annoying, particularly if like me you use different ones for different things.

Just a button press on the pilot and titan selection menus would be nice!

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

xxEightxx posted:

How to deal with nuclear Titans? Seems a death sentence,

Save dashes or phase shift to get away.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'd quite like if your FD setups (pilot and titan) were separate from the standard MP gametypes as trying to switch back to a PVP pilot and titan can get annoying, particularly if like me you use different ones for different things.

Just a button press on the pilot and titan selection menus would be nice!

Or just make the titan selection menu be like pilot selection where you have 10 slots to fill that you then pick your titan and config.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I still cannot figure out how grapple tricks work. I watch the videos and try out the simpler ones like the basic flat terrain speed boost, but the slingshot over a building at a million miles an hour high in the sky evades me. People in videos appear to grapple into things in half a second, where mine takes like, three

I think I need a video that focuses less on what to do and more on what not to do. I know I gotta be careful to not crouch during the process, but beyond that I'm at a loss.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

overcore on legion because with sensor array thats like 20something seconds of just constant firing and you'll get it out like 10 times a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've been running overcore on monarch as well but it's most likely a waste. The drat titan never dies so you probs don't need that extra charge towards your core. I've not really thought about it though.