Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

For those of you playing on mobile, what battlespeed and active/wait setting are you using? I don't really know what's "fair", and I dont know if im being too harsh or lenient on myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

So why does Minotaur have a special reaction for being on the receiving end of a thrown Assassin's Dagger? That seems like an odd thing to intentionally program.

Do people just not loving bother to read the item lore?

Sax Solo fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 25, 2017

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
there's item lore...?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Well, no.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sax Solo posted:

What the gently caress, this screen exists and it literally tells you to throw it at Minotaur?

e: "toungue" :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Pretty sure it's a Dark Souls joke :ssh:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

For those of you playing on mobile, what battlespeed and active/wait setting are you using? I don't really know what's "fair", and I dont know if im being too harsh or lenient on myself.

Unless it was changed in Mobile, battle speed is all the same. The game, when time is moving, moves at the same pace, regardless of the battle speed. What does change is the pause that occurs when a turn comes up - a higher number gives you a longer pause to input a command before ATB starts to fill again. As this really shouldn't be a game of inputting things fastest, running on 6 is generally recommended. Personally I leave it on 3 because I'm used to it, and it does make a difference on fights where timing is important (locking down Omega) as I don't have to wait as long for the pause to conclude.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

derra posted:

Unless it was changed in Mobile, battle speed is all the same. The game, when time is moving, moves at the same pace, regardless of the battle speed. What does change is the pause that occurs when a turn comes up - a higher number gives you a longer pause to input a command before ATB starts to fill again. As this really shouldn't be a game of inputting things fastest, running on 6 is generally recommended. Personally I leave it on 3 because I'm used to it, and it does make a difference on fights where timing is important (locking down Omega) as I don't have to wait as long for the pause to conclude.

Oh, really. The wiki says that battle speed has no effect on the player, but rather determines how frequently monsters can act. Hopefully that's just the FFWiki lying/being wrong?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dragonatrix posted:

Pretty sure it's a Dark Souls joke :ssh:
Oh. I played Demon's Souls but didn't enjoy it so I never actually played the later ones.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Can I use Release on Minotaur? (on iOS, but I don't think that matters in this case) I am in for a long fight either way but it'd be nice to soften him up a bit with some strong fights.

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

OzFactor posted:

Can I use Release on Minotaur? (on iOS, but I don't think that matters in this case) I am in for a long fight either way but it'd be nice to soften him up a bit with some strong fights.

You certainly can. My monster of choice is Sekhmet (Strong Fight, I think about 6k), mostly for flavor implications.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Equip whips means you will have a decent time due to back row. Nice thing about mobile is you can set it to auto to speed it along

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I went with two Rukhs, that cut him in half, then the Fire Lash did the rest. I have spent so long throwing around black magic and not attacking I forgot that whips were even a thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sax Solo posted:

I've got a new rom hack request.

Bonus points if the twelve legendary weapons have grisly Drakengard-esque weapon stories.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

CuddlyZombie posted:

Oh, really. The wiki says that battle speed has no effect on the player, but rather determines how frequently monsters can act. Hopefully that's just the FFWiki lying/being wrong?

Well, in a sense that's true since if you have battle speed set to one the time it takes for you to make inputs will be time for the monsters to charge their atb and attack you. It's a grave simplification, but practially it's true since you don't get more actions but the monsters might.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

And thus concludes my first run though FFV, my first FJF, and my first Triple Crown. Because it was my first time through the game, I did every side quest I could minus getting all pianos, Catobleas, and Carbuncle (I really should have gotten those two for completion sake). I enjoyed the liberties they took in this game for a 25 year old RPG. The characters were quirky and well written, which was a nice change of pace from other RPGs I've played. I did have a few complaints, but I can forgive them because 25 year old RPG.

I was blessed with what is apparently the strongest or second strongest team I could have gotten.

White Mage: Baller. Garula was painful, but otherwise this class was stupidly powerful. I didn't even take advantage of it for most of the game, neglecting to use fun things like Blink and Protect.
Mystic Knight: I loved having a damage dealer, and Break Blade was an MVP.
BEastmaster: I can see the utility, but I wasn't hot on it. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the game, so the combo of trying to prepare for fights with Catch, Control, and Calm was wasted because I didn't want to walk into a fight where Calm or Control was useless. Catch is a one shot, and then a wasted command, and even then you have to prep for it. He probably enables a lot of teams that otherwise would be stuck, but mehhh.
Chemist: OP. For the low cost of grinding Turtle Shells, you could simultaneously be the best healer and damage dealer on the team. Resurrection, Succubus Kiss, and Hi Potion were what I used most of the game. I barely scratched the surface.

QoL improvements I wish were in place:
- Let me continue to see the monster's HP after I libra it for the first time.
- Store the Mix and its effect once I use it so I don't have to keep my phone handy if I want to use something other than Resurrection/Succubus Kiss.
- If the enemy is in counter stance, give me a notification of some sort so I don't have to trial and error it.
- Same but innate reflect and undead.
- Encounter rate was way too high in some areas without a Repel effect.
- Running from battles took too much time randomly.

All in all, I am very glad I got to finish the game and (almost) all it had to offer. I felt fuzzy at the ending because I am a child. Thank you to everyone who answered questions and listened to my complaints!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Popular Run: Geomancer, Red Mage, Knight, Mystic Knight. :shepicide:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

That's a really good team though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's a really good team though.

It's "solid", but I'd hesitate to call it "good". The physical side is good enough that the magic (or at least 750) side doesn't need to pull as much weight. Which means Geo can clear up randoms for the Brave Blade (if you want to do that), Red plays support bot (though ironically Geo wears it better by endgame with its Magic stat + !Dualcast + Rune Chime), Knight and Mystic Knight murder. :black101:

Regardless, you've still got two party members that need sufficient help to get by.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm willing to call that team good without reservations because I can't think of a single situation which it can't handle with ease. Access to nearly every status effect, Two-Handed and !Spellblade for amazing single-target damage, an easy way around damaging floors, and !Guard + Cover in combination with Berserk for some fun times.

The only tough spot would be Omega, and even it isn't too bad with Mystic Knight.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm willing to call that team good without reservations because I can't think of a single situation which it can't handle with ease. Access to nearly every status effect, Two-Handed and !Spellblade for amazing single-target damage, an easy way around damaging floors, and !Guard + Cover in combination with Berserk for some fun times.
Truly this is what all otherwise-good teams were missing all this time!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Decided to :getin: and go for a #PureChaos run. I got the 4B team.

Bard, Blue Mage, Berserker, Black Mage. :black101:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

One more month left!

I don't really have any money (ever), but let's have some fun for the road anyway! I'll :toxx: and give at least $.25 per goon up to $20 for every goon that completes a run from now on to the end using Can Of Worms's Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer. Make sure to emptyquote this post on a win so I can see it! Oh, and please don't use the FFVFJF site, although if you want to slip a victory into another run's #Up that's probably okay.

It's up to you if you want to spoil the Jobs you get or not but I'd recommend it to reduce grinding and magic level confusion. Also, I'll probably wait until next year to actually donate so I can kill two birds with one stone and water that :black101: tree.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Cool, I was thinking about doing a randomized fiesta run anyway. If I'm reading this right, you're requesting that we not do it as an official Fiesta run though?

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm currently on Byblos with Knight (!Revive, Magic Shell, !Flirt, and !Steal) and Beastmaster (!Scan and Sprint) and I hate everything

Edit: Next Beastmaster ability gave me... !White. :negative:

jaclynhyde fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 1, 2017

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

Cool, I was thinking about doing a randomized fiesta run anyway. If I'm reading this right, you're requesting that we not do it as an official Fiesta run though?
Yep, just to keep the Fiesta's stats clean. Also, RK has a thing about normal emulation so I can't imagine he'd be too into it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

jaclynhyde posted:

I'm currently on Byblos with Knight (!Revive, Magic Shell, !Flirt, and !Steal) and Beastmaster (!Scan and Sprint) and I hate everything

Edit: Next Beastmaster ability gave me... !White. :negative:

Byblos is vulnerable to Paralyze and isn't Heavy. Whips trivialize him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mega64 posted:

There's no guarantee that either of those classes can equip whips.
Hell, there's no guarantee that either of those classes have the !attack command.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Beastmasters can. Oh, is this the random hack of the ROM? Nevermind.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

Oh thank god.

Schwarzwald posted:

There's no guarantee that either of those classes can equip whips.
Hell, there's no guarantee that either of those classes have the !attack command.

The random hack keeps the equippable weapons/armor the same, as far as I can tell. Does anyone know if there's a way to see what level of magic you have without looking at the cheat file?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

jaclynhyde posted:

The random hack keeps the equippable weapons/armor the same, as far as I can tell. Does anyone know if there's a way to see what level of magic you have without looking at the cheat file?
Edit: Actually, looks like it shows it in Ability.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 2, 2017

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Red Mage, Dragoon, Monk, Black Mage

July kept me away for a long while but finally got around to finishing this run up. Dualcast Black Mage pretty much handled everything from World 2 on, although Faris jumping over Earthshaker to get the killing blow on Catastrophe with 5 HP left because I was too lazy to get float, then later blocking an Almagest on NED so I didn't have to level grind was clutch.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
So I'm doing a chaos run after my first for funsies and I currently have Chemist/White/Samurai and I'm at the library right now.

Is there any way to make running four white mages up until the Earth crystal where I'll get to have actual (very good) variety more bearable or am I trapped in grinding hell to survive?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think you're stuck being miserable. If I were you, I'd find out my earth job to see if it's something I could use now (which is technically against the rules, but I think excusable here).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Overlord K posted:

So I'm doing a chaos run after my first for funsies and I currently have Chemist/White/Samurai and I'm at the library right now.

Is there any way to make running four white mages up until the Earth crystal where I'll get to have actual (very good) variety more bearable or am I trapped in grinding hell to survive?

Fiesta mod to unlock all jobs, don't tell RK.

Even with buyable flails in Karnak that sounds like a special hell

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think the solo White Mage strat for Byblos is to run him out of MP while chugging Elixirs so...

Archenteron posted:

Fiesta mod to unlock all jobs, don't tell RK.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, this is my first time making it all the way to World 3, and I'm a little bit confused.

As I understand, a lot of it is optional, but are there particular things I really need to make sure to do or that would be really helpful for my party? I've got Blue Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Samurai.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

LordHippoman posted:

So, this is my first time making it all the way to World 3, and I'm a little bit confused.

As I understand, a lot of it is optional, but are there particular things I really need to make sure to do or that would be really helpful for my party? I've got Blue Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Samurai.
Did you get the Chicken Knife in Moore already? You don't have a good way to utilize it (on GBA, at least, iirc Mineuchi is broken there), but it's still probably the best physical damage option you have. And the Agi bonus alone might be worth it.
Your first step should be obtaining the three "free" Legendary Weapons you get from the tablet in the Pyramid. Masamune is a must, the Magus Rod probably too, and you can get the Bell, I guess. Then you take Boko for a spin; run around the world to get the Mirage Vest (it's always useful), and go to the waterfall to get the Magic Lamp (every team can use this). While you're in Phantom Village for the first item, sell all your useless poo poo and buy three Hermes Sandals (there's a fourth one in the Rift and you really don't need a hasted Geomancer imo).

Afterwards, as you have a Blue Mage, you really want to get Mighty Guard. Look up the location for the Stingray enemy, then if you're on GBA, Quicksave there, load, get in one battle, then the next will be Stingray. It's a right motherfucker, so be prepared for a long fight. First you Confuse it with the Red Mage, then you wait for it to cast Mighty Guard on your party, then start digging into its mountain of HP.

There is probably no need for you to do anything else. It's a team with two duds (Red and Geo) but Blue Mage alone guarantees a win and Samurai guarantees it won't take ages. Don't forget to buy two Air Knives to make Aerogas stronger, at least 10 Maiden Kisses and Holy Waters, and you're probably set!

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the rune bell is garbage. just take the assassins dagger instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The Rune Bell/Chime isn't a legendary weapon, you're thinking of the Gaia Bell (which is admittedly garbage).

The Rune Chime is actually a pretty interesting weapon due to its special properties, but this team has no real use for it.

LordHippoman posted:

Gear-wise, four Air Knives are obviously handy, but I'm assuming you already got those. There's a second Aegis Shield is Istory Falls, but you don't really need it if you have Mighty Guard. The Wonder Wand from Fork Tower is useful if you want to fight Shinryu and didn't get a Power Staff in Exdeath's Castle.

Aside from that, Mind Blast and Level 3 Flare are the only useful !Blue spells you're most likely still missing. Both can be gotten in the Island Shrine.

Really, the most important tip for this team (and any Fiesta team) is to buy four Hermes Sandals in Phantom Village.

• Locked thread