Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
For some reason I only post in this thread when it's about Marcus Hutchins (@MalwareTechBlog) but it sure looks like he just got blackbagged by the FBI
https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/893145496788795392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Moatman posted:

For some reason I only post in this thread when it's about Marcus Hutchins (@MalwareTechBlog) but it sure looks like he just got blackbagged by the FBI

USA is scary.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Moatman posted:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/MabbsSec/status/893166585736724481
No word on charges.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That is god-drat terrifying.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'm glad they've managed to at least figure out where he is. Doesn't make this any less insane though.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/03/researcher-who-stopped-wannacry-ransomware-detained-in-us

quote:

According to an indictment released by the US Department of Justice on Thursday, Hutchins is accused of having helped to create, spread and maintain the banking trojan Kronos between 2014 and 2015.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

holy poo poo!!!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
DEF CON needs to leave the USA ASAP. Wonder if they could get it done by next year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Here's the indictment.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3912520-Marcus-Hutchinson-Indictment.html

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If that's all true, not particularly bright of him to be traveling to the US.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

The document was saying he was helping to update and sell the malware.

That needs to be cleared up first before I can condone or not his behavior and treatment.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Twerk from Home posted:

DEF CON needs to leave the USA ASAP. Wonder if they could get it done by next year.
If Def Con moved to a country that didn't have extradition rights to the west, do you think people would still go? Do you think feds still wouldn't catch people who went?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

You're going to love DEFCON china then!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

anthonypants posted:

If Def Con moved to a country that didn't have extradition rights to the west, do you think people would still go? Do you think feds still wouldn't catch people who went?

More attendees would vanish probably.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DefCon 2018 - Belarus Edition!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Internet Explorer posted:

If that's all true, not particularly bright of him to be traveling to the US.

More or less, the US has a long memory and a dim view of this kind of thing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That indictment.

Well, we aren't going to see poo poo on this for months

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nice of the UK press to doxx him after WannaCry, like the FBI needed the help.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

"Anyone got a kronos sample?" --@MalwareTechBlog, 13 Jul 2014

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

anthonypants posted:

This isn't about the scope of extradition, since he's already from the UK. This is about direct grabbing during a visit, and that would be much less of an issue in any other western country.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
[quote="“Dylan16807”" post="“475011367”"]
This isn’t about the scope of extradition, since he’s already from the UK. This is about direct grabbing during a visit, and that would be much less of an issue in any other western country.
[/quote] I'm sorry I gave you the benefit of the doubt, I didn't know you were implying that hosting DefCon in a different Five Eyes country would be an improvement.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Like, what are your options if you move defcon out of the US for security reasons? Scandanavia? Germany and France are probably out. Italy or Greece, maybe? Probably not Greece in its current state.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They're going to try China, tee hee.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i hear of good security conferences in germany and belgium

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
If you've actually committed a crime, maybe you shouldn't go to a convention that's about stopping the crime you committed.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Double Punctuation posted:

If you've actually committed a crime, maybe you shouldn't go to a convention that's about stopping the crime you committed.
there would be very very few people at security conferences if that were the case

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

defcon has really changed huh

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Where do you think you are?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks to aggressive interpretations of vague computer crime laws you'd be hard pressed to find a security researcher who hasn't at least technically committed a crime.

That said assuming these accusations have some merit this isn't exactly a case of a whitehat violating overbroad laws.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I like how quick we went from "OMG he's been disappeared the USA is the worstest" to "he's literally being held in the exact place you would expect for someone arrested by the FBI in Las Vegas".

Twitter remains a stupid as gently caress source of breaking news. Opinions bad. News at 11.

E: phone posting spelling fixes :smith:

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 4, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

apseudonym posted:

I like how quick we went from "OMG he's been disappeared the USA is the worstest" to "he's literally being held in the exact place you would expect for someone arrested by the FBI is Las Vegas".

Twitter remains a stupid as gently caress source of break news. Opinions bad. News at 11.

Whoa don't be so hasty there. Let's wait for all the facts to come out before we draw conclusions on Twitter and opinions

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Twitter did nothing wrong!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i hear of good security conferences in germany and belgium

I watch the Chaos Computing Club videos when they go up on youtube and they have a very good hit rate

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Subjunctive posted:

They're going to try China, tee hee.

Yeah, they've already announced they're going to have a mini-Defcon in Beijing next year. We'll have to see which country has more arrests.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

wolrah posted:

Thanks to aggressive interpretations of vague computer crime laws you'd be hard pressed to find a security researcher who hasn't at least technically committed a crime.

That said assuming these accusations have some merit this isn't exactly a case of a whitehat violating overbroad laws.

The flipping charge list is accusing him of helping develop the malware to be better and getting paid for it with the people that were using it for profit.

Doing that is not research.

Like I said in a previous post, the guy needs to clear up he didn't get stupid and actually do underhanded malware business while working at a company that provides malware security before giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

duz posted:

Yeah, they've already announced they're going to have a mini-Defcon in Beijing next year. We'll have to see which country has more arrests.

At least in China the US gov't might try to protect you.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Why not just do it online?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

That misses half the point of these conferences, which is face-to-face networking and learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Guy Axlerod posted:

Unlike maybe you and a good chunk of this forum, some of us like to interact with other human beings in a physical sense.