Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's kind of funny how Bran managed to sneak into the most played and most winning leader at the top of the ladder. Everyone was expecting huge shakeups after the weather changes but somehow Monsters and Skellige remain remarkably durable factions.

(Once again, its all about the bronzes. Priestesses of Freya and resurrection mechanic syngergizing with discard for SK, monsters with their much elaborated on harpies and carryover/swarm mechanics.)
It's not just priestesses (though they help). It's that the devs and players don't seem to understand how strong a mechanic discarding is compared to the other mechanics like mull and reveal. Morvran sould be the one buffing units, not Bran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

No Wave posted:

It's not just priestesses (though they help). It's that the devs and players don't seem to understand how strong a mechanic discarding is compared to the other mechanics like mull and reveal. Morvran sould be the one buffing units, not Bran.

I remember how many people in the early hearthstone threads hated the idea of Tracking (Draw 3, discard 2). Deck manipulation techniques just seem intuitively bad it seems when oftentimes they're actually super strong.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
It's more that you can thin out your bad bronze cards with discard and make your deck overall more silver/gold.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

moush posted:

It's more that you can thin out your bad bronze cards with discard and make your deck overall more silver/gold.
Part of it yes. But it also lets you choose which bronzes to play that game. War Longships barely have their r3 downside when you can just cycle them out (regardless of whether wl are meta now).

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

No Wave posted:

Right but it couples so wonderfully with resurrection being my point. Discard is great by itself, but with resurrection it's a double threat, you both discard out the cards you don't want to draw and also have the option to play them later if necessary. It's a merging of faction theme effect with specific leader/deck effect for cool synergy.

What non-reveal Nilfgaard mechanics can you use to your benefit with a Morvan deck? Uhhh, golems?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

They're introducing a Discard Alchemist to Skellige next patch, discards a bronze of your choosing from you deck, which is one weird cause I'm not sure it's something that discard decks need, and two it's again a much better card than anything reveal or mulligan have.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

They're introducing a Discard Alchemist to Skellige next patch, discards a bronze of your choosing from you deck, which is one weird cause I'm not sure it's something that discard decks need, and two it's again a much better card than anything reveal or mulligan have.

If it can target golds Ciri:Dash will have a field day.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
The new skellige bronze I think is gonna help promote non-Bran SK leaders because of how good Raiders are

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Raiders are wildly op of course, they're what makes bran's ability and discard completely stupid rather than a strong effect you have to lose tempo for. I think the devs love raiders - for good reason, choosing when to discard raiders is potentially very strategic - so they're probably sticking around.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Right but it couples so wonderfully with resurrection being my point. Discard is great by itself, but with resurrection it's a double threat, you both discard out the cards you don't want to draw and also have the option to play them later if necessary. It's a merging of faction theme effect with specific leader/deck effect for cool synergy.

What non-reveal Nilfgaard mechanics can you use to your benefit with a Morvan deck? Uhhh, golems?
They've finally dialed back strengthen because maybe discard from deck, strengthen, AND resurrect was a little too much.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

steakmancer posted:

The new skellige bronze I think is gonna help promote non-Bran SK leaders because of how good Raiders are

10-12 power across two bodies and thin the deck by one, seems pretty good compared to alchemist since alchemist requires the DFS to be in your hand.

Also nobody ever mentions the other big upside of bran over moorvran which is that he shuffles the deck, negating the stupidity of how mulligans work.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

True but it also opens the door to a well of endless frustration when you have a poor hand and bran shows you your next 4 cards were ermion, lugos, coral and raider.

You always know in your heart of hearts they just got powerslammed to the bottom of you deck and its time to draw endless pirates, but only in pairs.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Had two games the other night where I didn't draw Coral at all (playing QG/discard) and man those were a sad couple of games. In one of them my opponent's last play was to Henselt a Reaver Hunter, adding like 50 points to a row. So very sad.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I've personally dropped Coral for Ciri. Queensguard doesn't need more card advantage, but having it makes things even more hopeless for your opponent after the first round. Coral can be too situational for my preference.

Tonight I had a NG reveal player vicovaro medic resurrect one of my queensguards, then decoy the medic and res a second one (he still lost, those plays were horrible tempo and he played them too early giving me plenty of time to adjust gameplan). In another match a Dagon opponent quite artfully igni'd my 2 strongest Queensguards. Unfortunately for him, his fog also killed my third queensguard the same turn so I got to bring the whole partyline back onto the field with a single Freya res.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
coral is p. much an auto-include SK card so that's funny

that card will literally win you games you had no business winning, especially versus dwarf and monster variants

General Morden fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 2, 2017

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I can't imagine where I'd be without Coral vs dwarves and some NR decks.

I just played a mirror match and in R3 after rezzing my Draig for a second QG boost my opponent played... Birna Bran (hyperlinking it to simulate the hover over I just did in the match). I lost that game.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

It's weird how many people are madly in love with Coral but Merigolds Hailstorm is a card that never sees play.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's weird how many people are madly in love with Coral but Merigolds Hailstorm is a card that never sees play.

The effect attached to a gold 5 body is quite something, and Skellige doesn't have space for a a one time weather spell effect like Hailstorm in it's silver slots.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Hey guys, I'm wondering what gold I should buy for my mostly consume deck? Right now I have Ge'els, Succubus, and Geralt:Igni for swinging the game around after my opponent plays all those swell cards like spotters or pirate captains at the very end of round 3 to either burn them or steal them.

On the other hand I've made a pretty good Bran deck with lots of discard and damage units that worked well against some of my opponents around rank 16. I have coral as one of my only races for the deck but I'm sure there are better ones for that deck archetype. Suggestions?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

MarshyMcFly posted:

Hey guys, I'm wondering what gold I should buy for my mostly consume deck? Right now I have Ge'els, Succubus, and Geralt:Igni for swinging the game around after my opponent plays all those swell cards like spotters or pirate captains at the very end of round 3 to either burn them or steal them.

On the other hand I've made a pretty good Bran deck with lots of discard and damage units that worked well against some of my opponents around rank 16. I have coral as one of my only races for the deck but I'm sure there are better ones for that deck archetype. Suggestions?

Coral is autoinclude, she's so insane since they made her damage round up.

Ciri might be an interesting choice that could work in both decks.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is this going to be on mobile? I really want to play gwent on my phone.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

MarshyMcFly posted:

for monsters, the best faction specific golds (that you don't have) right now are in no particular order: woodland spirit, caranthir, old speartip, caretaker --> since you want to play consume, i'd probably consider caretaker (it's a decent tech choice, just like succubus)

if you want some good neutral golds that support the deck, consider getting regis: higher vampire or yennefer

for discard bran decks, the following golds are generally the best: coral, cerys, ermion, madman lugos, hjalmar

General Morden fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 3, 2017

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Man, people who play control decks sure don't like to press GG.

They especially don't like to press it after you win by two points when your last play was letting the timer to expire to discard a raider.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Does anyone else think Kaedweni sergeant might be a bit too centralizing for NR? Pretty much anything that isn't reaver scout (to get out more sergeants) has most of its strength predicated on how well it works with sergeant, especially now that the "monsters counter" (not really) radovid control deck is dead. Except for a few weird, not very good armor decks, every recent NR game I've played has started the same exact way, 1-3 sergeants, some number of muster cards, the odd KSS or machine here and there, with nenneke, operator and dandelion for reavers.

Maybe there just aren't enough cards to expect real deck variety. I am getting bored of it though.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Sergeants definitely strong, but NR also doesn't have much going in its other archetypes. Machines got nerfed hard, armor is still weak, and why play Radovid when you can just play Monsters yourself?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Honestly non-gold locks are less valuable than resets

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I thought sergeants might have been too limiting going forwards, I wonder if they can hit a balance so that every card isn't str 6 so they don't get affected or str 3ish but with a weak effect because it is expected to be buffed to 6 in your deck. I'd definitely say NR feels the same with musters, neneke, reavers etc, but that is at least partially lack of alternate choices. I liked siege weapons radovid, but I don't know if that is seriously competetive...

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Scoia'tel new card

https://twitter.com/pawelburza/status/893457029234348032

If any Ally or Unit in your Hand or Deck other than a Farseer is Boosted during your turn, Boost self by 2 at the end of the turn.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It seems extremely bad if the buffs only apply while on the board. Compare to Champ of champs to see just how bad.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

It seems extremely bad if the buffs only apply while on the board. Compare to Champ of champs to see just how bad.

You need to have the Farseer on board for the ability to trigger, but it's condition, and that you can have 3 of them, is a lot easier to achieve than Champion. As it works with units being buffed in your deck you can also run it with Defenders and Mulligan Dudes, so you're not stuck with Dragoons and Support only.

Being Agile is also quite nice.

Edit: Though I bet the original version of this card didn't have the "At the end of your turn".

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 4, 2017

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
its like they dont want milva being used

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
"Ally" means units on the board so it should work with basically anything, not just hand/deck buffs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

For some reason I thought it was a silver. Ok so not nearly as bad as I thought it was.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Estraysian posted:

"Ally" means units on the board so it should work with basically anything, not just hand/deck buffs.

So It's kind of like an imperia brigade. More difficult to buff multiple copies but agile as a trade off.

Yet another bronze that might be good round one, but would suck to draw late in the game.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Up Circle posted:

its like they dont want milva being used

There's a really weird SK deck that revolves around bouncing Braenn and your Yaevinn on round 3 with Milva, but that's the only real deck that uses that card well rn

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

steakmancer posted:

There's a really weird SK deck that revolves around bouncing Braenn and your Yaevinn on round 3 with Milva, but that's the only real deck that uses that card well rn

yea ive been doing the same thing with a silly deck i built, the problem is almost any good deck needs buffed units

its a shame because milva is insanely fun to use

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
just release the neutral bronze with veteran 4

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I want there to be a silver that justifies Crach's existence

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

steakmancer posted:

Pre-nerf Morkvarg. :v:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
3500 -> 3700 tonight, finally got around to getting rank 18. Radovid still pretty strong, it seems.

7 kegs and 265 ore waiting for the patch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

steakmancer posted:

That lady with 12 strength?