Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Refined horse poo poo.

I'll leave it for someone not on a phone to elaborate.
my favorite example of this is when fritz redlich, an economic/military historian, attempted to prove this thesis by counting how many 30yw generals were protestant. He also counted devout Catholics who had been born Protestant. The huge number of protestants proved Weber right...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Doctor Malaver posted:

I know this is tongue in cheek but what's the issue with South Slavic languages? They are difficult for non-Slavs to learn but once you get there pronunciation follows writing (and the other way too) really well. Letters are always pronounced the same. OK, words can be written down wrong based on ije/je and č/ć variants but it never produces confusion in actual communication. Native speakers err with that too.

Recent orthographical reform. Recent enough that an actual linguist was the one doing it.

Cyrillic is derived from Greek and has its own problems.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

cheetah7071 posted:

The issue is that I don't know anything about them so I wouldn't think to mention them. Are those the ones saint Cyril developed the writing for? I guess that would make them share the property other good orthographies have that they were intentionally created by a single person who isn't just blindly copying what the neighbors are doing.

Most European orthographies work fine - I don't think your point is very good.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

French dig unearths 'little Pompeii' near Lyon

quote:

The ruins of an ancient Roman neighbourhood of luxury homes and vast public spaces have been found by archaeologists in south-eastern France.
"This is undoubtedly the most exceptional excavation of a Roman site in 40 or 50 years," team leader Benjamin Clément told AFP news agency.
The site in Vienne, near Lyon, was abandoned after fires, leaving a "real little Pompeii", he said.

Vienne, on the River Rhone, is already famous for a Roman theatre and temple.
The city, which became a Roman colony in about 47 BC, flourished under the Caesars.
The new site in modern-day Vienne was discovered during preliminary work to build new housing in the suburb of Sainte-Colombe, on the right bank of the river, but remains have now been uncovered on both banks.

What is so astonishing is the extent of the site, which covers 7,000 sq m (75,000 sq ft), and the diversity and state of preservation of the ruins, Clément says.

Among the ruins are:
A collapsed residence dubbed the House of the Bacchanalia because of its floor mosaic depicting a procession of maenads (female followers of Bacchus, the god of wine) and satyrs (mythical creatures half-man, half-goat)
A mosaic in another residence depicting a bare-bottomed Thalia, muse and patron of comedy, being kidnapped by a lustful Pan, god of the satyrs
A large public building with a fountain adorned by a statue of Hercules, built on the site of a former market
Excavations began in April and are due to continue into December.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kanine posted:

what do u guys think about the whole weber theory that protestantism is the reason for the emergence of capitalism?

(if there's a better thread to ask this pls link me)

Trash. Capitalism is a product of hugely increased productivity of capital.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

You just know that "lustful pan" is BBC speak for "pan with comically giant priapism"

Briefly on why Weber is bullshit.

First off, let's start with the basics. What does Weber argue, exactly?

Weber's argument is first that capitalism is a state of mind as much as anything else, a willingness to subordinate all sorts of traditional beliefs and activities (cultural traditions, customary practices, emotional attachments and bonds) to the naked pursuit of economic gain. Personally I think this is a bit questionable to start with but I"ll leave it for the philosophers and economists to argue this point. The major problems most historians have is with his second major component to his argument, that Protestantism was unique in encouraging its followers to embrace a calling and reject distractions from it. If God has called you to be a carpenter you should be the best loving carpenter you can be and avoid frivolities like hobbies. This focus makes you uniquely suited to out-compete your fellow carpenters, which in turn means you prosper and become the engine of the economy. This is the famed "Protestant work ethic" that he identified.

Here are the reasons why I think he's full of poo poo.

1) economic concentration and large scale investment - capitalism in other words - did not begin with Martin Luther. Just look at the loving Renaissance era Italian city states for christs sake. What the gently caress else are you going to call Florentine bankers and Venetian traders if not capitalist, and not a one of them was anything other than Catholic As gently caress. This isn't small scale mom and pop enterprise, these are international consortiums that become rich and powerful enough to dictate government policy. This is also all ignoring the fact that a lot of similar activity can be seen before the collapse of the Roman empire. The basic capitalist concept of leveraging economic wealth (be it monetary or in production facilities) to generate more wealth faster wasn't exactly a foreign concept. Now, the argument can be made that Weber isn't saying that the protestants were the first to come up with this poo poo, but that their unique religious culture made them vastly more predisposed to it, thus giving countries where they were in the majority a major advantage. In this way I'm being a little unfair to Weber, but I still think it's worth pointing out as a lot of the people who quote him today take this extreme version of him.

2) More importantly, though, Weber fundamentally fails to understand Protestant/Calvinist (in his case he's mostly thinking the Calvinists, Puritans, and Presbyterians - he's very much trying to explain the economic ascendancy of the US in the early 20th century) theology. His basic problem is that he conflates earthly vocation for religious calling. That single mindedness that he claims allows the protestant to become the perfect capitalist, if it exists, shouldn't be directed to earthly pursuits but to spiritual awakening. Put simply, he conflates earthly callings with spiritual callings in the writings of lots of influential Protestants, and ignores their injunctions that argue directly against what he is claiming. 16th - 17th century Protestant writers were adamant that spiritual callings trumped earthly concerns, and there was even significant mistrust of accumulating wealth. Calvin in particular condemned any gain achieved at your neighbor's expense and the accumulation of wealth. Richard Baxter, whose writings Weber leans on to make his own argument, wrote specifically on the issue of earthly labor and employment and urged believers to choose a job in which they would do the most service to god and, and explicitly states that they should not choose a position that will bring them the most wealth or honor but where they can do the most good and best avoid sinning. In short, a lot of the hang ups about worldly activities and their sullying effect on the soul that Catholics had were brought over to Protestantism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I would suggest that people realizing that they can become hella rich is what leads them to fixate on becoming hella rich.

The facility produces the mindset, there's a really obvious issue with trying to suggest that it happens the other way around. Unless he's trying to suggest that all the proto capitalists without any concept of wealth accumulation just went and took the orders instead because that's basically the same thing obviously.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

Personally I would suggest that people realizing that they can become hella rich is what leads them to fixate on becoming hella rich.

The facility produces the mindset, there's a really obvious issue with trying to suggest that it happens the other way around. Unless he's trying to suggest that all the proto capitalists without any concept of wealth accumulation just went and took the orders instead because that's basically the same thing obviously.
Nah, the explanation is they felt anxious. Because here's the part of Weber's thesis that Cyrano didn't mention, which is that he focuses on Calvinism because they believe in predestination--the "elect" are saved and the rest are damned, but unlike the Catholics, there's nothing either group can do about it. It doesn't depend on how righteous you are. You can look for signs that you might be elect in this world, however, and one of those signs is supposedly earthly success. So Weber's argument is that if you can't tell whether or not you're saved (and that's difficult) you can use business success as a sort of tracking isotope. Then they take that feeling and transfer it to business success itself. Even so, Weber says Protestants feel anxious all the time.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

2) More importantly, though, Weber fundamentally fails to understand Protestant/Calvinist (in his case he's mostly thinking the Calvinists, Puritans, and Presbyterians - he's very much trying to explain the economic ascendancy of the US in the early 20th century) theology. His basic problem is that he conflates earthly vocation for religious calling. That single mindedness that he claims allows the protestant to become the perfect capitalist, if it exists, shouldn't be directed to earthly pursuits but to spiritual awakening. Put simply, he conflates earthly callings with spiritual callings in the writings of lots of influential Protestants, and ignores their injunctions that argue directly against what he is claiming. 16th - 17th century Protestant writers were adamant that spiritual callings trumped earthly concerns, and there was even significant mistrust of accumulating wealth. Calvin in particular condemned any gain achieved at your neighbor's expense and the accumulation of wealth. Richard Baxter, whose writings Weber leans on to make his own argument, wrote specifically on the issue of earthly labor and employment and urged believers to choose a job in which they would do the most service to god and, and explicitly states that they should not choose a position that will bring them the most wealth or honor but where they can do the most good and best avoid sinning. In short, a lot of the hang ups about worldly activities and their sullying effect on the soul that Catholics had were brought over to Protestantism.

I think you're misrepresenting Weber a little. From what I remember, he specifically introduces quotes about the sinfulness of accumulated wealth, and then makes the point that investing that wealth back into your work is not "accumulation," which makes reinvestment into your workshop or whatever a moral use of money. There's a loophole for business expenses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HEY GAIL posted:

Nah, the explanation is they felt anxious. Because here's the part of Weber's thesis that Cyrano didn't mention, which is that he focuses on Calvinism because they believe in predestination--the "elect" are saved and the rest are damned, but unlike the Catholics, there's nothing either group can do about it. It doesn't depend on how righteous you are. You can look for signs that you might be elect in this world, however, and one of those signs is supposedly earthly success. So Weber's argument is that if you can't tell whether or not you're saved (and that's difficult) you can use business success as a sort of tracking isotope. Then they take that feeling and transfer it to business success itself. Even so, Weber says Protestants feel anxious all the time.

But if you can't do anything about it then why would you care how businessly successful you are? You either won the lottery or you didn't.

It would make more sense for people who didn't believe in predestination.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The counter-argument is that, while you can't couch the drive to acquire wealth in Calvanist terms for that reason, you absolute can forgive perceived sins committed in the pursuit of wealth in Calvanist terms. This could reduce the stigma of being a businessman in Calvanist areas, which could potentially drive the movement of wealth out of noble hands and into bourgeois hands. Of course, there's so many insanely conflated factors in any broad social change, and, y'know, capitalism also exists outside of Calvanist and even Protestant areas so I wouldn't buy this as more than a small piece of a much larger puzzle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I thought it was industrialization.

I thought it was the black death?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was gonna say I am not sure I have sufficient traverse in my eyeballs to give an appropriately sideways look to the assertion that being a greedy bastard is a novelly protestant vice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

(If my memory serves me...) Hugh Trevor-Roper argues almost the reverse - that Counter-Reformation persecution led to an exodus of Huguenots from Catholic Europe, creating a concentration in the few places which tolerated them. Because expertise was often held by families, technical knowledge migrated in blocks. This led to the increase of expertise in these relatively tolerant locations, which in turn accelerated economic and industrial growth in places like London or Amsterdam.

It has less to do with Protestant ideology than with Catholic willingness to persecute in this period.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

But if you can't do anything about it then why would you care how businessly successful you are? You either won the lottery or you didn't.

It would make more sense for people who didn't believe in predestination.

Because you're worried about going to gell. You can't control whether you're saved or dammed, but you really don't want to be damned, so you scrutinize your life for outward signs of salvation, and worldly success becomes a proxy for the state of your soul. "If I were damned", you think, "why would God bless me in this world so much. Surely, I enjoy divine favor."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But there's still nothing you can do about it so why worry?

Maybe I'm odd.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe I'm odd.
because you're deliberately tricking yourself into feeling less anxious, using an error of logic. IF i am elect THEN i will become wealthy doesn't mean IF i am becoming wealthy THEN i am elect, but if it assuages your anxiety you can pretend that it does. You believe you're gaming the system.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Also, if you believe that God rewards the elect in this world, then if everyone who's been rewarded on this world does something there's got to be something to it, no?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It also overlooks the entire Muslim world, where the bulk of commerce in the middle ages took place.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
You could rephrase that to saying it overlooks everywhere in the world that isn't Western Europe.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

CommonShore posted:

(If my memory serves me...) Hugh Trevor-Roper argues almost the reverse - that Counter-Reformation persecution led to an exodus of Huguenots from Catholic Europe, creating a concentration in the few places which tolerated them. Because expertise was often held by families, technical knowledge migrated in blocks. This led to the increase of expertise in these relatively tolerant locations, which in turn accelerated economic and industrial growth in places like London or Amsterdam.

It has less to do with Protestant ideology than with Catholic willingness to persecute in this period.

This counter-theory seems perfectly plausible, with one major caveat: we have already assumed that there was a difference in economic development between Catholic and Protestant places. However there isn't. Modern research has almost completely undercut the empirical underpinnings of the Protestant Work ethic, or at least reduced the effect to something very small and explainable through more parsimonious hypotheses.

In the 19th century there was a great concern and interest in this evident phenomena of rich and successful Protestant nations and merchants. Even Catholics took it seriously and speculated as to the cause of their own failure to succeed. It was out of this apparent circumstance that Weber proposed his theory to explain this difference which everyone could plainly see.

Unfortunately for the theory of the Protestant Work when economic historians actually looked at the data they couldn't find any difference. There is no significant difference in the rate of economic growth or savings or otherwise between Protestant and Catholic states of Europe and there never has been. Of course this is partly explainable by the small sample size and high variance, but it still contradicts Weber's own expectations and those of other theories seeking to explain a theoretical religious impact on development. Still determined to find supporting evidence, researchers sought to make comparisons on finer scales. Unfortunately data is rather scarce going back more than a couple hundred years, so you usually have to use some kind of proxy for GDP.

One of the most recent papers on the subject by David Cantoni used city size as a proxy for economic growth. If Protestantism had a real effect on economic development, you'd expect to see a difference in city growth between Protestant and Catholic regions. In fact, Cantoni found zero difference. Religion had no impact on economic growth. Another mark against Weber.

Now there are some studies that have found religion had some small effect on long-term economic trends. A 2009 paper by Sascha Becker and Ludger Woessmann looked at Catholic and Protestant communities in rural Prussia and found Protestant regions had significantly higher economic growth. However when they looked deeper into their data, they noticed Protestant regions had significantly higher literacy as well as economic prosperity. When they used literacy as their explanatory variable instead of religion, they found they did a better job of predicting the economic outcome between regions. That is to say, it wasn't some kind of abstract Protestant anxiety or metaphysics which manifested in higher savings rates and hence greater long-term economic growth that explained differences in outcomes. Rather it was that the Protestant effort to help everyone read the bible turned out also to leave people better educated, which there is lots of evidence directly produces positive impacts on the economy .

Cantoni does not think Becker and Woessmann's work contradicts his, as he posits that the effect of Protestantism on literacy in urban areas would be much smaller as the baseline level was substantially higher.

So basically, the Protestant Work Ethic is a theory explaining a phenomena that never existed, or at least one we can't prove ever existed. I'm not sure why it was seen as so self-evident in Weber's day, I suspect it was just another weird obsolete prejudice among many others popular in that era.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 3, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Koramei posted:

Hah, ancient history isn't safe either in East Asia :v:

There are a lot of very good Korean and international scholars studying Korea these days though, you shouldn't just dismiss it all out of hand. I understand what you're saying (and Korean history's been one of my main interests for the past few years so I'm pretty acutely aware of it) but Korean historiography has come strides in the past few decades and a lot of Korean academics are very aware of what you're talking about. Especially with a work written for an international audience that's got a non-Korean name attached.

These Korea posts inspired me to pull out my Korean history book by Kyung Moon Hwang and see what he as to say on Hangul:

A History of Korea: An Episodic Narrative posted:

King Sejong the Great
Only one monarch in the long history of Korean royalty commands the universal appellation of “the Great” following his name: Sejong the Great, the fourth king of the Choson dynasty (r. 1418– 50). Sejong enjoys a standing in Korean civilization that is akin to George Washington’s in the US, with his name attached to everything from universities and cultural institutions to civic organizations and state projects. That his portrait graces the most familiar South Korean currency, the 10,000 won bill, is itself a reflection of his perceived supreme stature in Korean civilization. Most Koreans attribute to him what is widely considered the nation’s signature cultural accomplishment, the promulgation of the native Korean alphabet in 1446. They also know that he instituted innovative state policies and sponsored the invention of advanced scientific instruments such as the rain gage, water clock, and sun dial. He is seen, in short, as having come closest to the ideal of the sagacious monarch who promoted the welfare of the common people above all. But one can also summarize his accomplishments and historical significance with the claim that, more than anything else, King Sejong the Great completed the foundation of the Choson state’s great task of Confucianizing Korea.

Even the development of the Korean alphabet itself was part of Sejong’s wide-ranging efforts to enhance the state’s dissemination of Confucian teachings. Overlooked in the ceaseless and ubiquitous mythologizing of this great feat (there is even a national holiday honoring the alphabet) is the fact that Sejong, in addition to standardizing the Korean— that is, “correct”— pronunciation of Chinese characters, found the alphabet a potentially breakthrough instrument for public education. In his famous preamble to the “Proper Sounds to Educate the People” (Hunmin chngm), the document introducing the new alphabet, Sejong stated not only that the Korean language is different from Chinese, but also that the common (“ ignorant”) people needed a simplified system of written communication. The Choson government in fact soon began to publish numerous didactic works featuring glosses with the new alphabet, all preaching the core values of Neo-Confucianism. And indeed, Neo-Confucian scholarship and education was the basic charge of the Hall of Worthies, a state research institute that Sejong established soon after ascending to the throne. Today there remain questions about the precise balance of contributions from the Hall of Worthies and King Sejong the Great to the alphabet project, but in accordance with the Confucian values that Sejong so eagerly sought to instill, there was no difference: he gets the credit.

I thought this book was pretty good, and it was amusing to see the author take shots at conventional Korean historiography which he thought was bullshit, even if I had no prior idea what these common Korean narratives were.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe I'm odd.

To be fair, if you're not worried about the fact that there's a chance you're going to be tortured for eternity, and, even worse, that you'll forever be denied the presence of God, the source that is all that is good and right and decent, all joy, all pleasure and all love, and in the knowledge that it's your own fault, because you're lower than a worm, a fully wretched creature full of sin and death and wickedness, with nothing in you that is decent, or good, or redeemable or beautiful, and the only hope you have to avoid that is the grace of God, who willingly took human form and was tortured and killed, so that you might have, if He so chooses, for reasons that you cannot know, a chance to enjoy His wholly undeserved mercy to save you from your just punishment, even though your very existence is loathful to Him and fills Him with such intense sadness and misery that that alone is a sin, that you could cause a being that is wholly Love to suffer so....if that doesn't worry you, what sort of things do?

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.
Death is nothing to us; for the body, when it has been resolved into its elements, has no feeling, and that which has no feeling is nothing to us.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Epicurius posted:

To be fair, if you're not worried about the fact that there's a chance you're going to be tortured for eternity, and, even worse, that you'll forever be denied the presence of God, the source that is all that is good and right and decent, all joy, all pleasure and all love, and in the knowledge that it's your own fault, because you're lower than a worm, a fully wretched creature full of sin and death and wickedness, with nothing in you that is decent, or good, or redeemable or beautiful, and the only hope you have to avoid that is the grace of God, who willingly took human form and was tortured and killed, so that you might have, if He so chooses, for reasons that you cannot know, a chance to enjoy His wholly undeserved mercy to save you from your just punishment, even though your very existence is loathful to Him and fills Him with such intense sadness and misery that that alone is a sin, that you could cause a being that is wholly Love to suffer so....if that doesn't worry you, what sort of things do?

Failing to attain tranquility. Figured you'd know that one.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

is my hat big and fluffy enough

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

is my hat big and fluffy enough

Answer: No.
Your hat can always be bigger and fancier.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mike Duncan's audio book is available for pre order.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arglebargle III posted:

Mike Duncan's audio book is available for pre order.

It was pretty awesome and nostalgic to hear the theme music on the podcast

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

First civilizations of Greece are revealing their stories to science

quote:

For the first time, scientists have obtained and analyzed genome sequences from the ancient Minoans and Mycenaeans, who lived three to five thousand years ago and were Europe's first civilized people.

Reich and his colleagues' work suggests that about three-quarters of the ancestry of both peoples derives from the first farmers of the Aegean Sea, including western Anatolia (a region that lies within modern day Turkey), Greece, and the Greek islands. But, quite different from the rest of contemporary Europe and from the first farmers of Greece, the Bronze Age Greek civilizations also derived a small part of their ancestry from populations from the Caucasus and Iran.

The new study also shows that the Mycenaeans have additional ancestry that is distinct from the Minoans, says Iosif Lazaridis, a postdoctoral researcher in Reich's lab and lead author of the study. This genetic contribution may be from people of the steppes north of the Black and Caspian seas.

It gives us a small sense of the migrations and intermingling of populations in the distant past, which may eventually shed some light on the spread of culture and origins of languages.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Saw this today. Thought some of you may be interested to read about it and who knows, maybe one of you has the required expertise/knowledge to assist.

Translate these chinese characters for 15 000$ each

quote:

A Chinese Museum Is Offering Big Money to Whomever Can Decode This Ancient Script

The going rate is $15,000 per character.

IT’S NOT BOUNTY HUNTING, BUT it’s close: The National Museum of Chinese Writing in Anyang, Henan Province is offering a large monetary reward to anyone who can decode a 3,000-year-old script. The writing, which dates to the ancient Shang dynasty, is one of the “earliest written records of Chin­ese civilization,” according to the South China Morning Post.

So far, experts have decoded around 2,000 of the approximately 5,000 characters found on these oracle bones, which were carved into turtle shells and ox bones and report on everything from taxes to the climate. But the process has proved both costly and time-consuming, so the National Museum of Chinese Writing is crowdsourcing it.

They’re offering 100,000 yuan (~$15,000) for each unknown character a person can translate (with evidence). A sum of 50,000 yuan (~$7,500) goes to anyone who is able to provide an explanation for a character whose meaning is in dispute. The reward is open globally, but it is only available to experts whose submissions have been approved by at least two language specialists. The museum is also encouraging the use of new technologies, like cloud computing, to decipher the texts.

The oracle bones largely come from an excavation near Anyang in the 1920s. Experts believe that most of the characters represent names of people and locations. So far, over 200,000 oracles have been recovered, roughly 50,000 of which bear text.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Epicurius posted:

Well it's more that if that's going to happen anyway then worrying about it's not going to do any good.

It makes sense if you think you can do something to stop it but much like death in general, if you can't, just ignore it.

I'd worry about... oh... getting my beard to grow straight, that seems like something I can do something about.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Those hats must've been so loving gross irl.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

Well it's more that if that's going to happen anyway then worrying about it's not going to do any good.

It makes sense if you think you can do something to stop it but much like death in general, if you can't, just ignore it.

I'd worry about... oh... getting my beard to grow straight, that seems like something I can do something about.

Sure, point taken. But look at how many people now worry about death, or if they'll get sick, or theyll be a victim of a terrorist attack, or all sorts of things they can't control.

In fact, a lot of the time, people worry more about risks they can't control than those they can, just because they feel helpless.

When you add to that a religion where the authorities actively encourage this sort of guilt and fear, it's out there.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Lone Badger posted:

Answer: No.
Your hat can always be bigger and fancier.

Hendrick and Everhard Kockman at three-and-a-half years old, Johanna Vergouwen, 1683

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Imagine trying to get a three year old to wear that outfit and stand still long enough to pose for a painting

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

cheetah7071 posted:

Imagine trying to get a three year old to wear that outfit and stand still long enough to pose for a painting

Just murder some relatively similar sized street urchins and pose their bodies with the outfits.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Give a three-and-a-half years old a real sword AND a flute, now that's a deathwish.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Give a three-and-a-half years old a real sword AND a flute, now that's a deathwish.
childrens' swords were sometimes wired into the sheaths or bated

the flute though, that's on your head, parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Just murder some relatively similar sized street urchins and pose their bodies with the outfits.

Or at least paint the faces and then stick the rest on mannequins.