Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CommonShore posted:

Idunno maybe I'm a sucker, but whenever something like this happens (during the Monks three-parter eg) I have a split second moment where I go "how cool would it be if they had cast a new Doctor in secret and we got a surprise mid-season regeneration..." and then it's just a worthless non-plot device.

Yeah these days it's pretty much near impossible to hide that

If nothing else you know they're not going to change horses mid-stream during an actor's last season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If anyone cares about Dr. Men, we'll be getting some figures of them come Fall

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vinylshadow posted:

If anyone cares about Dr. Men, we'll be getting some figures of them come Fall

There's a joke about Jodie here somewhere

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Astroman posted:

I guess you could say the 10th Doctor was kinda getting his groove back after being War who he wanted to forget, and 9, who was still saddled with guilt over what he (thought he) did as War. So he overcompensated a bit.

One concern I do have with Jodie is that I wonder what her relationship is with the show as a fan. I haven't heard her speak much about it, but I'm pretty sure she's not a superwhonerd like Tennant or Capaldi, nor can I see her writing fanfiction and geeking out over Troughton eps like Smith did to get into the role. Of course Eccleston wasn't a huge fan either as far as I know, and he did a great job performing. Though he was quick to leave and not want to come back, which I can never see happening with 10, 11, or 12.

I guess it was bound to happen sometime--you aren't always going to get massive fans cast in the role. At least the showrunner is though. When we get some kind of nu-Who done by both an actor and a showrunner who aren't huge fans (or the same stable of writers who have been involved in spin off media for the past 20 years) things could take a massive nosedive. Or not, but looking at the shitshow that is modern Star Trek I don't want to see my other favorite franchise go that way.

I hope she isn't a fan.

I mean, its okay if she is, but it is interesting that she is not. She has worked in a variety of roles, comedic and dramatic, and has been in a science-fiction movie, and an actor's job is to...act. So I don't think not being a fan of the show will hurt her.

Like, the thing with her gender, if it just turned out to be "quirky supergenius who reverses the neutron flow at the last moment and teaches us a valuable lesson, only played by a woman", than it doesn't mean anything. I hope that its a sign that they are willing to explore and experiment.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Kris Marshall will get pregnant with Doctor Who's baby and they'll leave the baby in a barn on Gallifrey

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chokes McGee posted:

Part of that wasn't his fault, the poison really hosed up his regeneration and left him unstable. It took a while, but it finally started settling down around Trial. By then I'd say he was closer to early One in assholery.

Ten was just a glib emo sociopath from the get go and never really evolved past it.

Maybe Ten was also hosed up by poison. :colbert: Sucking that hosed up time goddess energy out of Rose couldn't have been good for him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Narsham posted:

Also, he earns major points for "Go to your room," which shows how well he can resolve a cliffhanger without any cheats.

I love that resolution so much. 9 looks so pleased with himself for having thought of it, and even more tickled that it actually worked :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

marktheando posted:

Let's Kill Hitler. Oh yes Mels, the best friend we've never mentioned before. How is this poo poo just a year after the wonderful series five?

Mels is the Poochie of Doctor Who.

MELS REGENERATED INTO ALEX KINGSTON ON THE WAY BACK TO HER HOME PLANET

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I love that resolution so much. 9 looks so pleased with himself for having thought of it, and even more tickled that it actually worked :allears:

And then, to cap it all off a little later "...I sent him to his room. THIS IS HIS ROOM."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I'm so glad that worked. Those would've been terrible last words."

Say what you like about Series 1, The Empty Child/Doctor Dances was worth the farting aliens and Bad Wolf subplots

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The farting aliens almost made me give up because, really? This is the great Doctor Who everyone is obsessed with?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Chokes McGee posted:

I've never understood why they do regeneration cliffhangers if it's very public knowledge the next doctor hasn't been picked yet, especially if it's mid season

like you would have to live under a rock to not know by now the next doctor is always accompanied by fanfare and mass outbreak of complaints

Just seems like it's cheapening the plot device. It used to be this super dramatic turning point, now Twelve is just tossing around regeneration energy because why not.

Kids still watch doctor who, don't they? They oftentimes remain unaware of many backstage events and casting decisions, so regeneration cliffhangers still work on them. Teasing that the hero is going to die when the writers are plainly not going to kill off the title character halfway through the story is as old as serialised storytelling, the difference is that sometimes the doctor glows a bit to really sell it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Say what you like about Series 1, The Empty Child/Doctor Dances was worth the farting aliens and Bad Wolf subplots

The Doctor getting on a mic and accidentally doing stand-up during a bombing raid in Wartime London :allears:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
He really was fantastic.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I watched those two again just the other day and it was a great reminder of how good Eccleston was. So much potential for him to be fantastic again with Big Finish!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

marktheando posted:

Let's Kill Hitler. Oh yes Mels, the best friend we've never mentioned before. How is this poo poo just a year after the wonderful series five?
LKH's biggest flaw is its positioning in the season framework. It would have benefitted a lot if there were several episodes between it and A Good Man Goes to War, to both introduce Mels and give Amy and Rory enough time to come to the terms with River's identity and the fact that she's going to be alright.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Ephemeron posted:

LKH's biggest flaw is its positioning in the season framework. It would have benefitted a lot if there were several episodes between it and A Good Man Goes to War, to both introduce Mels and give Amy and Rory enough time to come to the terms with River's identity and the fact that she's going to be alright.

the problem with a character like mels is that if you don't introduce her at the beginning when we don't know anyone, she'll always be weird. even kids are genre savvy enough to recognise Checkov's Childhood Friend by now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plus to make it work (it didn't work) they had to make her the even weirder, stranger, more troubling black sheep of the town, when it had already long since been established that Amy was the the oddball of the village who everybody was very slightly scared of because something about her just didn't quite add up (because her life was a mess of paradoxes, lost time and contradictions on top of her being oddball in her own right).

It just felt like it was trying way too hard, and putting her next to lil' Amelia just highlighted how bad the character and the writing for Mels was.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 3, 2017

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ephemeron posted:

The idea of parents coming to terms with their kid being raised by an evil cult and brainwashed into an assassin because she becomes good as an adult is really really stupid. It's impossible to salvage it.

They would want to rescue their baby as a baby. And it's not like it's too late- they have access to a time machine!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

As folks said when I brought these episodes up a bit ago, Dalek is also very good*, and I rate Father's Day and the finale quite highly too. But I still maintain that The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances are the high point of the first season, and nothing else really comes that close.

___
*Controversial hot take: Dalek actually is better than Jubilee though both are absolutely worth your time

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dalek has the better ending, for sure, but Rose is no Evelyn so it comes up the same for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

docbeard posted:

*Controversial hot take: Dalek actually is better than Jubilee though both are absolutely worth your time

Nah, I'll agree with that too. Jubilee is great, and there's some fantastically dark moments, but Dalek is also the better story. Jubilee is trying to tell a story of a big empire gone wrong, and we're only shown about 3 people, 2 of whom are in charge, and they never feel like they're in charge of millions of people. They just come across as a couple of kooks rattling around an empty house.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cojawfee posted:

The farting aliens almost made me give up because, really? This is the great Doctor Who everyone is obsessed with?

It's a great story once you get past its obvious issues

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

It's Davies doing a quite clever remix of the classic series "alien in human disguise" a la the Fomasi plus the Robert Holmes "make a fart joke central to the plot." The problem is that both elements are obscure enough references that they don't land very well and the whole conceit is ultimately too far up its own rear end.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All the stuff with people reacting to the existence of aliens was pretty well done. Pretty distracting in retrospect how much Harriet Jones kinda sorta reminds me of a less-boring version of Theresa May, though.

One thing that disappoints me is that RTD had lines in "The Last of the Time Lords" where the Master really rubs it in about how he never could have made it all happen without the Doctor, because the Doctor got rid of the only person in the government who could have stopped him (Harriet Jones), but he took them out of the script because it was too nasty.

I think that was a mistake. I think that would have fit in with the part of Ten's character who's a real take-charge sort who thinks he knows best, only for it to backfire on him further down the line. Would've been exactly the kind of gloating that Simm would've done really well too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

All the stuff with people reacting to the existence of aliens was pretty well done. Pretty distracting in retrospect how much Harriet Jones, Prime Minister, kinda sorta reminds me of a less-boring version of Theresa May, though.

One thing that disappoints me is that RTD had lines in "The Last of the Time Lords" where the Master really rubs it in about how he never could have made it all happen without the Doctor, because the Doctor got rid of the only person in the government who could have stopped him (Harriet Jones, Prime Minister), but he took them out of the script because it was too nasty.

I think that was a mistake. I think that would have fit in with the part of Ten's character who's a real take-charge sort who thinks he knows best, only for it to backfire on him further down the line. Would've been exactly the kind of gloating that Simm would've done really well too.

Sorry, had to fix that, it was reading all wrong.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Yes, we know who she is. :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fil5000 posted:

Yes, we know who she is

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FOAMASI - You mentioned Foamasi?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

Fair enough, but in the first one she was only MP for Flydale North.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I think the Daleks saying "Yes, we know who you are" is one of RTD's best moments.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

FOAMASI - You mentioned Foamasi?

The Slitheen are just a little less foam and a lot more assy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It was cool how Slitheen wasn't their species but their surname, and I was annoyed Moffat forgot that when he mentioned them

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Fil5000 posted:

I think the Daleks saying "Yes, we know who you are" is one of RTD's best moments.

That really is more fantastic than it even should be.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fair enough, but in the first one she was only MP for Flydale North.

Yeah, in her introduction she was an obscure nobody who wants to become better known, which is part of the reason the 'we know who you are' joke is so good.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

They just come across as a couple of kooks rattling around an empty house.

So a metaphor for the British Empire?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

marktheando posted:

The idea of parents coming to terms with their kid being raised by an evil cult and brainwashed into an assassin because she becomes good as an adult is really really stupid. It's impossible to salvage it.

They would want to rescue their baby as a baby. And it's not like it's too late- they have access to a time machine!

plus amy and rory trying to get their baby back even though it'd be a paradox would imo be a better way to do that season's climax than river not wanting to kill doctor who. instead of the weird bullshit half-conclusion where river accepts she has to kill her husband but WHOA HES NOT DEAD FOOLED YOU, amy and rory could legit have to give up their daughter to save the universe. like the conclusion of Wedding of River Song isn't that it's wrong to change history but rather that they were just not as good at it as the Doctor

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

2house2fly posted:

It was cool how Slitheen wasn't their species but their surname, and I was annoyed Moffat forgot that when he mentioned them

no one actually liked them enough to memorize little details like that, even if they're pretending to appreciate whoever those fat farting aliens that are never appearing again are called.

(though the zygon two parter would've been a lot better if it was about the slitheen, at least it would be funny and it didn't really deserve better than them)

(not an invitation to another long discussion about zygon invasversion AGAIN just saying here)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

So a metaphor for the British Empire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's pretty insane to think that the Queen has had the opportunity to watch every episode of Doctor Who.

• Locked thread