Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

greypearl posted:

A friend of a friend's bird had a sudden illness, went to the big emergency vet place, and was promptly redirected to my avian vet. Do not pass go... but they may very well have collected $200.

True story, Pearl gets frightened when she bites me and may bite again unless I comfort her. Given that the entire Pearl reward system is structured (adorably) around praise and applause instead of normal things like food, I guess it's not that surprising.

Ah, now I'm totally obsessed with the idea of an African Grey taking applause breaks, and getting indignant if you aren't quick enough :3:

A trap tempting enough to risk fingats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

greys are so good

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

greypearl posted:

True story, Pearl gets frightened when she bites me and may bite again unless I comfort her. Given that the entire Pearl reward system is structured (adorably) around praise and applause instead of normal things like food, I guess it's not that surprising.

Amadeus doesn't bite me so much as give me quick beak pressure, but if it's unexpected enough I sometimes instinctively yelp and then he gives me an immediate contrite kiss. Birds... :3:

Jose: :swoon:

Indecisive Squirrel
Apr 28, 2009

Suntan Boy posted:

Thank you all, sincerely, for your support. It seriously means a lot. You were a Good Boy, Mookie, and I love you, too.

My condolences Suntan. Mookie looks happy in those pics and I'm sure was thankful for all the love you showed him.

On a secondary note, hello bird crazies. I've been lurking this thread for awhile. Due to 2 cats and apartment living, I'm currently stuck living vicariously through you all. You've already given me more than enough knowledge on birbs to work with as I aspire of one day rejoining the owner club.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Indecisive Squirrel posted:

My condolences Suntan. Mookie looks happy in those pics and I'm sure was thankful for all the love you showed him.

On a secondary note, hello bird crazies. I've been lurking this thread for awhile. Due to 2 cats and apartment living, I'm currently stuck living vicariously through you all. You've already given me more than enough knowledge on birbs to work with as I aspire of one day rejoining the owner club.

This is my life. I figure I might have my life in order by the time my cat dies in another 15 years or so, maybe then I can get birb.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

blackflare posted:

This is my life. I figure I might have my life in order by the time my cat dies in another 15 years or so, maybe then I can get birb.

I just said screw it and got a birb.

The cats are vigilantly watched...and I have already told hubby we are not replacing cats as they drop off....we will have 2 at most at the end.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

pics or it didn't happen

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Lots of new toys to investigate-Preen n Scritch basket, Foraging Sisal Nest, Foraging Pail, Nest n Coco, Foraging Party Party, Polly's Shower Perch (small) with a small Teepee, Steve

There's more than shown here-Ohtori is currently working on this: http://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/food-tumbler and it's working out pretty well-it's almost as big as him, but easy to spin around, doesn't lose too much food when it falls out, clear to see what's inside and motivate him, and very solid so a Grey etc should be fine with it too. Inko is intrigued by this: http://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/crazy-8-s even though it's so big to him-it makes nice rattling noises and can be solved through violence so perfect for him

(If toy/accessory reviews (more like comments, not too in depth) would be useful I could do that some time)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:tviv: :kimchi:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

(If toy/accessory reviews (more like comments, not too in depth) would be useful I could do that some time)

Yes please!

:swoon:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

This is the BEST picture.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

G-Grandpa?!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Steve's crest is outrageous and I love it

MattLochNessMonster
Jul 1, 2009
Where does everyone land on concrete perches? I've had one for my grey for a while now and it's kind of worn, so I was thinking about replacing it. It looks like there's some controversy in the community about concrete perches.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

MattLochNessMonster posted:

Where does everyone land on concrete perches? I've had one for my grey for a while now and it's kind of worn, so I was thinking about replacing it. It looks like there's some controversy in the community about concrete perches.

As long as it isn't their only/main perch it isn't a problem.

Birds that perch mostly or exclusively on concrete perches can develop issues on their feet due to the roughness. If it's just one of their perches and they use it occasionally instead of all the time it shouldn't be an issue.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So somehow bobby has learned how to open his supposedly unopenable cage. He keeps getting out then chucking tanties when hes hungry but cant see the way back in

I know its him because the bottom door was half undone and i never open that, except for when I replace long perches

Indecisive Squirrel
Apr 28, 2009

:swoon: I wish my hair was as perfect as Steve's crest.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Also gold star for Ohtori, he is a very good product model.
Yes yes, just like that, lift one foot to investigate the toy. Look into it, but not too into it. Yes, perfect, you're a natural!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Heard you were talking poo poo...

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

why plastic birb is nakeb?? :derptiel:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
just discovered we can brush taco with a toothbrush and she won't flip out

will have to get her more used to this so we can get a photo

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

GoldStandardConure posted:

just discovered we can brush taco with a toothbrush and she won't flip out

will have to get her more used to this so we can get a photo

Very much so

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

https://twitter.com/ParrotOfTheDay

The species today :3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Pale headed rosellas are great (yesterday's potd). They are native to my area but fairly shy and quiet compared to other similar sized parrots, most notably the rainbow lorikeets. We also have king parrots who are also fairly shy and sometimes get bullied by happy jacks. When they're migrating we also get scaly breasted lorikeets, sulphur crested cockies and two types of black cockatoo. Galahs are always around, usually chilling out on the road or harassing dogs, as are corellas. We don't get big flocks of corellas. GSC has those.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Someone I know in Brisbane has a king parrot, they are pretty cool birds.

also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z9jlFDdt4o

MODEDIT: :nws: and also no actual birds. :mad:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 5, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Big feather and Little feather!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Good morning!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Even though I don't have a bird anymore, the pictures and stories in this thread still just provide a piece of that bizarre delight. Thank you all bird thread goons

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
"Gandalf has discovered the cutest way to eat a raspberry, he holds it in his foot and nibbles it just enough for the juice to collect in the middle and then drinks from it like a cup"

African Greys are terrifyingly cute

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Tsaedje posted:

"Gandalf has discovered the cutest way to eat a raspberry, he holds it in his foot and nibbles it just enough for the juice to collect in the middle and then drinks from it like a cup"

African Greys are terrifyingly cute

omg thats adorable

Cricket takes a nibble of her raspberry then throws it across the cage to explode in a splat of raspberry guts. If it doesn't splat the first time, she goes down to get it and then climbs back up to her perch to toss it again. Raspberry day always looks like a CSI scene...

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I went to the bird shop the other day, because I was bored and needed a break from driving.

Lucky is a grey that has been there for a while. Lucky doesn't do much beyond sit and glare at everyone, and sometimes goes "boop". Lucky has a sign that says "Careful, I might bite." Like most greys, Lucky has a sense of humor.

I've been attempting to scritch Lucky for a while. Usually, he just poofs up and waits for my finger to get a couple millimeters from his head, then takes a swipe at it. This day, he poofed, then ducked and shoved his head in my direction. Since I'm primed to yank my hand back at his first sudden movement, I did, and got sort of a disgusted look.

Then he did it again, and purred. "This is it, this is the day," I thought. Slowly, gently, I reached out with my index finger to finally make a new friend.

The instant my finger made contact with the tip of a feather, he took a swipe at it. Little poo poo.

Next time, bird, next time.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Suntan Boy posted:

I went to the bird shop the other day, because I was bored and needed a break from driving.

Lucky is a grey that has been there for a while. Lucky doesn't do much beyond sit and glare at everyone, and sometimes goes "boop". Lucky has a sign that says "Careful, I might bite." Like most greys, Lucky has a sense of humor.

I've been attempting to scritch Lucky for a while. Usually, he just poofs up and waits for my finger to get a couple millimeters from his head, then takes a swipe at it. This day, he poofed, then ducked and shoved his head in my direction. Since I'm primed to yank my hand back at his first sudden movement, I did, and got sort of a disgusted look.

Then he did it again, and purred. "This is it, this is the day," I thought. Slowly, gently, I reached out with my index finger to finally make a new friend.

The instant my finger made contact with the tip of a feather, he took a swipe at it. Little poo poo.

Next time, bird, next time.

One thing to learn is that birds do not like to be approached or anything to approach them from above including hands (which has the fingers to scratch)

Get lower to the bird (like eye level) and then approach from front/side.

I've had the calmest birds bite because I forgot to do this. That instinct to freak out when something is above them is hard to overcome.

Do a lot of people in here get bitten or is it a joke? Because if you handle birds enough, you should be picking up a few signs and behaviorism the bird does to show it does not want to be interacted with.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My guys really like their snow peas. When I first got Pneuma he wouldn't eat any veggies so I'm glad he came around.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

My guys really like their snow peas. When I first got Pneuma he wouldn't eat any veggies so I'm glad he came around.

Awwww love that!! Those and thai chilis are Cricket's favorites :) They look like they are savoring every bite of their peas :)

Broccoli and carrots tho are evil and must be avoided at all costs...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Our birdsitter while we were in Nova Scotia for a week is a vet tech and I am sooooo glad we went with her again. She sent us pictures of Yoshi every day, and she let him out of his cage to play. It was just such a relief to know that he was in good hands while we were gone. Plus, she's working at the animal hospital nearby us today, so Yoshi won't have to sit in his carrier case too long when we pick him up to bring him home. It's terrifying how quiet and empty the place feels without him for the one night we had to wait to go get him. You forget how used to it you get, you know?

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

EVIL Gibson posted:

One thing to learn is that birds do not like to be approached or anything to approach them from above including hands (which has the fingers to scratch)

Get lower to the bird (like eye level) and then approach from front/side.

I've had the calmest birds bite because I forgot to do this. That instinct to freak out when something is above them is hard to overcome.

Do a lot of people in here get bitten or is it a joke? Because if you handle birds enough, you should be picking up a few signs and behaviorism the bird does to show it does not want to be interacted with.

My dude(ette?), I appreciate that your advice is given in earnest, but I don't think any of the regulars here are unfamiliar with birds. Sometimes, you just get bit, though we're being facetious about it.

And Lucky is a dick, mostly.

Evil Eagle posted:

Good birbs!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Suntan Boy posted:

My dude(ette?), I appreciate that your advice is given in earnest, but I don't think any of the regulars here are unfamiliar with birds. Sometimes, you just get bit, though we're being facetious about it.

What the hell is a bird thread without fingat jokes, even?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

What the hell is a bird thread without fingat jokes, even?

A bird thread where the birds won.

You see, it's because no one has any fingats left to post with

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori's new food tumbler is a massive hit and I recommend it to owners of birds of appropriate size http://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/food-tumbler

It seemed like he was having issues, as he's too small to spin it around in one go, and had to climb the bars to spin it about halfway, maybe a bit more, and hope momentum took care of the rest. This made me think it might be too big for GCCs if as a Blue-throat he's having issues, but today saw Ohtori figured it out-he climbs to the top, holds on to the bars with one foot, then walks on the toy with the other and spins it around that way!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Seems they messed up their links.