Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

The next version of that mod is expanding it to all of Europe

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=932793401

Peep that fuckin' Ireland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's like a nightmare you can't wake up from

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:vince:

I may need to try that mod.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:eyepop:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
e: nvm

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

It's like a nightmare you can't wake up from

And that you don't want to wake up from

Because EU4 players are masochists

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

The next version of that mod is expanding it to all of Europe

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=932793401

The one thing this does do is highlight just how much of a shitshow the HRE really was.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also imagine trying to do naval combat when the English Channel is three loving zones wide

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I think that's the level of detail Paradox should go for in EU4 - but with a dynamic system where once you go large enough you just see all those tiny states as autonomy/factions/rebels, in a bigger province, to keep things manageable. Would be a perfect fit for the dynamic real-time battlefield system too.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think that's the level of detail Paradox should go for in EU4 - but with a dynamic system where once you go large enough you just see all those tiny states as autonomy/factions/rebels, in a bigger province, to keep things manageable. Would be a perfect fit for the dynamic real-time battlefield system too.

I think it's perfect this is in a mod, because this sounds great in theory but in practice will suck to play and only be enjoyed by the 1% of hardcore grognards.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I could see that mod being pretty fun if you want to play an HRE game, but how does it work for nations with off-map sources of income or manpower (e.g. the tiny piece of Poland in the first screenshot)? Or what about nations that receive trade from off-map?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

I could see that mod being pretty fun if you want to play an HRE game, but how does it work for nations with off-map sources of income or manpower (e.g. the tiny piece of Poland in the first screenshot)? Or what about nations that receive trade from off-map?

In the original mod I think they modeled France by creating coastal crossings over the wasteland provinces, and then giving the few French centres just absurd development levels. Presumably they would take a similar approach to Poland. But yeah, you'd think they'd run the map out as far as Russia as a counterweight to Pol-Lit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just had a really great African Power run ruined because Portugal, Spain, and France all got into a three way alliance. I can't defeat them because morale is literally the only thing that matters in combat and guess what they always have more of than me!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I threw my economy in the dumpster and got my army and navy completely annihilated just to sign a white peace because apparently my troops turn tail and run at the sight of the French troops being 20% happier than them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

I threw my economy in the dumpster and got my army and navy completely annihilated just to sign a white peace because apparently my troops turn tail and run at the sight of the French troops being 20% happier than them.
Checks out. Did you backup your save? just wait it out, eventually you can find a way to peel off France by singling out Portugal via an ally/when France is in a hellwar and break all their alliances. I almost gave up on my Third way run when....
Delhi became a Ming Tribuary and Ming hated me so I couldnt become a Tributary
and
Persia got guaranteed by Russia
and
Ottomans allied France
and
France conquered Tunis's Sunni Muslim Colonial Columbia
and
a random province in the middle of Ming randomly turned Shia.

I waited it out by powering up other ways and blammo, I got it with 20 years to spare.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Some time ago I started on a CK2 game where I let Iceland run hog wild and take over most of Europe. Eradicating Catholism while I was at it. Norse supremacy and all that. Sunni and Catholism as heresies is always fun. Byzant ended up as Cathar, Mongolia was Jewish and other fun stuff. Finished it the other day and converted it to EU4 to see how that would go.

Finished that game this morning, after 36 hours of play in two days. Loads of fun. Especially since my ruler was a midas touched immortal who lived to the ripe age of 506 years or something (that is, when the game ended). I love playing stuff like this, seeing Sunda and Malacca as big colonial powers. Ming was in it for a while too, getting most of the US west coast, but in the end, I kicked their butts too, because why not. The last 100 years or so, I was just colonizing whatever I could because I didn't have anything else to do, except kick Ming's rear end and start taking India from Orissa while still keeping on eradicating the other religions and cultures.

All in all, quite happy with how it turned out, but it's still only something I do every other year or something.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yeah sure that's technically Western Europe I guess.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone else disappointed when the first age ends after like 50 years of gametime, when the game lasts 380 years? I feel like I rarely actually get to take advantage of some of the sweet bonuses you can get in that age.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Double Post, completely unrelated:

:psyduck:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Austria inherited France?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Okay I know I'm supposed to be shocked by Australia but what the gently caress is up with Ottomans being in the lead while also having Russia AND the Commonwealth AND Austria AND Persia on the great powers list.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

Okay I know I'm supposed to be shocked by Australia but what the gently caress is up with Ottomans being in the lead while also having Russia AND the Commonwealth AND Austria AND Persia on the great powers list.

Lots of African Conquest?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm not shocked by the Australian thing because the rebels on the right make it seem like you're playing as Australia.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

That was me screwing up my Turning the Tables run, by forming Australia before vassalizing my former overlord. But now I am curious about Europe so I'm colonizing in that direction.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I did it, I kinda didn't have any goals anymore in my Russia game so I decided to gently caress Ming. After 18 years, and around 280k manpower I finally got them to explode. It was an utter waste of time, manpower and diplo points but they burned.
Just chain war dec their tributaries to keep them in a permanent hellwar.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Double Post, completely unrelated:

:psyduck:

This is why I still play this game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tahirovic posted:

I did it, I kinda didn't have any goals anymore in my Russia game so I decided to gently caress Ming. After 18 years, and around 280k manpower I finally got them to explode. It was an utter waste of time, manpower and diplo points but they burned.
Just chain war dec their tributaries to keep them in a permanent hellwar.
I did the same thing in my Third Way run - just 100% occupy for a few years to run up that devastation and WE, then white peace (so they keep their WE), then wardec a tributary that you want to eat and 100% occupy them.

I also noticed that when doing this the Tributaries' Liberty Desire goes up, but they rarely break off on their own and you cannot support their independence.

Dance Officer posted:

This is why I still play this game.
Now that I vassalized Tidore and got the achievement I think I am going to form Australia again and go figure out what happened to France. I cannot see Europe at all though for some reason I can see South America...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in my professional opinion austria got the burgundy lands and then ate france yes yes. BUT. does england still hold normandy etc. a resounding maybe

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

To help with the whole "Build Tall" thing that people have been longing for, it would be neat if a country that was under its state limit (thus if a country could have 10 states but only has 5) received some sort of bonus in its states, scaling with the ratio of states /possible states. This would help reflect shorter line of communication, less distance between ends of the country, and all of the other advantages of having less land to oversee.

edit: Also, I would really like to be able to see my active edicts in my outliner...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 5, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

To help with the whole "Build Tall" thing that people have been longing for, it would be neat if a country that was under its state limit (thus if a country could have 10 states but only has 5) received some sort of bonus in its states, scaling with the ratio of states /possible states. This would help reflect shorter line of communication, less distance between ends of the country, and all of the other advantages of having less land to oversee.

edit: Also, I would really like to be able to see my active edicts in my outliner...

Seems like a neat idea--also we really loving need a way to see all edicts. A map mode, something on the outliner, something in that big book of stats. Maybe in the States/Territories map mode, it highlights ones with active edicts in a different color/shade and have the icon of the active edict.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There is an edict map mode

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So uh, yeeaahhh....

Rapner
May 7, 2013

So uh, yeeaahhh....

How? You look tiny.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rapner posted:

How? You look tiny.

"Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, the Emperor of China has asked that we swear fealty and pay tribute to them."

"Hmmm...."

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

"Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, the Emperor of China has asked that we swear fealty and pay tribute to them."

"Hmmm...."

"Bonjour Roi du Soleil, the Ottoman Sultanate is now under the protection of the Son of Heaven."

"Hmmm...."

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rapner posted:

How? You look tiny.
I was completely mystified, which is why I shared.

Here is a screengrab from 10 years later:

The only thing I can think of is that because I seeded Feudalism, Renaissance, and Colonialism on the shores of Lake Victoria so I am ahead of the game in terms of institutions and have more dev than my size would normally indicate?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

I was completely mystified, which is why I shared.

Here is a screengrab from 10 years later:

The only thing I can think of is that because I seeded Feudalism, Renaissance, and Colonialism on the shores of Lake Victoria so I am ahead of the game in terms of institutions and have more dev than my size would normally indicate?

I suppose you had a string of very good rulers and really high gold income for advisors.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

It looks like Poland went with a local noble and Muscovy went ham on Lithuania, also Bahmanis winning thunderdome kinda early.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
England got eaten too it seems, maybe France?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

So I recently finished up my first full game
(as Ottomans) and I decided on something a bit different for my next game and took off the training wheels for Kirishitan Japan as Otomo. My first shot started well until around 1490 when I hosed a war up bad and Uesegi utterly destroyed me. My second time around I secured the shogunate faster (around 1475) and I have some questions:

1: Why the gently caress would I ever want to unify Japan? Being Shogun is awesome. Not only do I have no vassal limits, they are all stupid shitheads who constantly fight each other and keep themselves weak. Plus I get to be the ridiculous brutal monarch I always wanted to be in CK2 but instead of tyranny I get monarch points. If they could only import the execution sound fx from CK2 it could be perfect.

2: I was kind of a dipshit when I became Shogun and left the Ashikaga a couple provinces assuming they would become my vassals (this was a silly expectation on my part.) Obviously they immediately became Ming tributaries. Now it's the mid 1530's, they have 1 province occupied by Ikko-Ikki rebels, a distant capital on the other side of the island that has been under siege by noble rebels for 30ish years (not enough to ever progress obviously) and nothing else.

Is there any way I can get these guys without taking on Ming?

3: As Jianzhou and Haixi were immediately wrecked I ended up allying Korchin in order to game the tributary system and invade Korea. Will Korchin deliver the disaster and gently caress with Ming if I get them independent or should I start planning shenanigans to get Yeren in charge?

And last - is Spain or Portugal ever going to show up? I need some loving Christianity. Really glad at this point I didn't take Religious as an early idea group.

• Locked thread