Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

prefect posted:

I hope Jerry remembered to take his Titanic model and his framed photo of Doofus Rick. (He was keeping them in the garage.)

Oh he definitely had the Titanic on his mind, he was wearing the cap from the Titanic episode at the start of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

There is no way in hell I'm watching that video

I watched it and its from Wisecrack, a generally pretty good channel. It sums up exactly how this is much more than just "Rick and Morty + Mad Max", which is the biggest complaint about the episode. I don't see what's so bad about it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I watched it and its from Wisecrack, a generally pretty good channel. It sums up exactly how this is much more than just "Rick and Morty + Mad Max", which is the biggest complaint about the episode. I don't see what's so bad about it.

Angsty nerds feeling unfulfilled in this world and taking any excuse to argue the merits of an apocalypse Fallout wild west where they would like totally rock bro! Where they would be men! is what's wrong with it. If you like that then its you who need to pull up.

Analysis that the modern world is soul crushing because some young men are losers? Come on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you don't find docking funny then you need to get your head out of your foreskin

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Angsty nerds feeling unfulfilled in this world and taking any excuse to argue the merits of an apocalypse Fallout wild west where they would like totally rock bro! Where they would be men! is what's wrong with it. If you like that then its you who need to pull up.

Analysis that the modern world is soul crushing because some young men are losers? Come on.

I'm not saying I agree with it. But that is clearly a point the episode was making. The entire theme of the show is that life is pointless. Using a Mad Max parody universe to show that the badasses would fall into banality when given a typical suburban life is just another way of exploring this theme.

The message is absolutely not that we would be better off in a post-apocalyptic world.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 3, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I for one just don't think about it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I think we can all at least agree that Beyond Thunderdome is the weakest of the Mad Max films.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Kazinsal posted:

I think we can all at least agree that Beyond Thunderdome is the weakest of the Mad Max films.

Can't we just etc. etc.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cojawfee posted:

What the gently caress is "penis in the foreskin kind of love"? I kind of wish there was someone that could veto some of the dumb poo poo they say in the show.

I only know Justin's personality from Twitter and random clips of things but mostly Twitter. I would be terrified to tell him his idea is dumb poo poo that should get cut.

Also the joke was fine.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I think you'll find the original has aged terribly and consists of an hour and a half of Max going to the beach with his family and it's boring and sucks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Kazinsal posted:

True, though to be fair it was also arguably the most iconic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

rydiafan posted:

I think you'll find the original has aged terribly and consists of an hour and a half of Max going to the beach with his family and it's boring and sucks.

I agree with this. The first Mad Max is a lovely australian movie that someone decided should have sequels that were actually good.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

What the gently caress is "penis in the foreskin kind of love"? I kind of wish there was someone that could veto some of the dumb poo poo they say in the show.

thread title

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

rydiafan posted:

But unlike thunderdome the best parts are at the end, not the front where you watch half a good movie then are flabbergasted by the WTF mess of the 2nd half. I'll take the rockin conclusion to 1 over the lets leave the thunderdome last half of the film 3rd one.

Nothing touches Road Warrior out of the originals. NOTHING.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

I agree with this. The first Mad Max is a lovely australian movie that someone decided should have sequels that were actually good.

The same dude made all of them. Mad Max is lower-key than the others mostly because it was made on a budget of about ten bucks; the others had big studios backing them, so Miller could go bigger with them.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Who rules Bartertown?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Morty's piloting skills have come a long way from barely being able to park or fly in a straight line.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

rydiafan posted:

look at this idiot voicing his dumbass opinions

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

But unlike thunderdome the best parts are at the end, not the front where you watch half a good movie then are flabbergasted by the WTF mess of the 2nd half. I'll take the rockin conclusion to 1 over the lets leave the thunderdome last half of the film 3rd one.

Nothing touches Road Warrior out of the originals. NOTHING.

So basically there's two good movies between all three of them?

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
https://imgur.com/gallery/VQYZA
It's the gift that keeps on giving.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Cojawfee posted:

And shalom to you, my brother.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Checks out.

I actually don't mind the first one, but it's a lot less action oriented. People just have much fonder memories of the ones after since the first isn't as extravagant.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

rydiafan posted:

Its basically a step above a student film. When you compare it to works like Clerks its pretty cool, and the fact that it allowed and inspired the later films is significant too, as well as basically creating the post-apocalyptic genre as we know it.

But yeah, its not like Terminator 1 and 2 or Alien and Aliens where the first is different but they're both great; Mad Max is definitely a rough and low-budget film and Mad Max 2 is the poo poo.

The remake is also loving awesome.

Beyond Thunderdome is different. I dunno how to compare it to the first mad max, but it tries some interesting things and does more worldbuilding than the others, but ultimately the plot is poorly paced.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Two amazing balls-to-the-wall best-of-the-best action films, and two mediocre films that you can at least see they put a lot of heart and soul into trying.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Part of the reason why Beyond Thunderdome was a bit of a mess was because producer Byron Mitchell died early into the production. He'd worked on both previous Mad Max films and was a close friend of director George Miller, and the production as a whole somewhat fell apart because of his death and the effect it had on Miller.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Post-Apocalypse//Zombie nerds are often the funniest kind of sad because the bottom line is: if you aren't already a cutthroat murderous rape-machine, you will get skullfucked by mutants in hob-nailed boots day 1. It's not like the outbreak//nuke is going to give you the iron will necessary to suddenly make hard choices, and while you waffle or puke after your first kill, you're gonna get shanked and dumped in a mud hole.

I say this as someone who adores zombie and post-Apo stuff, and I think Fury Road is nearly perfect film, but I don't glorify or deify the kind of people who would succeed in that world, and I maintain no delusions about my place in it.

If you aren't already a Rick... you're gonna get Mortied.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Post-Apocalypse//Zombie nerds are often the funniest kind of sad because the bottom line is: if you aren't already a cutthroat murderous rape-machine, you will get skullfucked by mutants in hob-nailed boots day 1. It's not like the outbreak//nuke is going to give you the iron will necessary to suddenly make hard choices, and while you waffle or puke after your first kill, you're gonna get shanked and dumped in a mud hole.

I say this as someone who adores zombie and post-Apo stuff, and I think Fury Road is nearly perfect film, but I don't glorify or deify the kind of people who would succeed in that world, and I maintain no delusions about my place in it.

thats my secret... i'm always ricking

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Bust Rodd posted:

I have a very vivid memory of really pissing my friends off. They asked me what I would do in a zombie apocalypse and without pausing I said kill myself. They were legitimately very angry at me for not having action movie bullshit delusions. It was weird.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zaphod42 posted:

Its basically a step above a student film. When you compare it to works like Clerks its pretty cool
You know, I'm not the biggest fan of the original Mad Max, but this is straight up bonkers. The original has so much story pushed into every frame, and it's visually unique in almost every way. Not to mention car stunts that rival most big budget films today.

It's just insane you can't see a masssssssiiveeee difference between Mad Max and Clerks.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Exactly... Yeah I ended up just listening to it on a lunch break and it was the most mundane poo poo imaginable.. society is .. boring. following rules.. ALSO BORING?? whaaa????

Also I think.. I *think* it unironically referenced and played the clip from Fight Club where Tyler Durden talks about being in Gen X or whatever. Without a drip of irony.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

alpha_destroy posted:

I have a very vivid memory of really pissing my friends off. They asked me what I would do in a zombie apocalypse and without pausing I said kill myself. They were legitimately very angry at me for not having action movie bullshit delusions. It was weird.

I know a good deal about herbalism/foraging and if the world ends I can exchange that knowledge for protection by making deals with the local warlord who probably doesn't know which local plants are edible and which ones will have his best soldiers making GBS threads themselves during a raider attack. I got no problem being the plucky sidekick who never touches a gun

Though without my meds I'll probably kill myself anyway :v:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

What the gently caress, is this the part in the TVIV thread life where we re-enact our doomsday scenarios or something?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'd probably chill for a few days until I figured out what's going on or died from what's going on.. Wait are people shooting themselves??

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Last Chance posted:

I'd probably chill for a few days until I figured out what's going on or died from what's going on.. Wait are people shooting themselves??

I am yea. In my defense the original question from my friends was full blown zombie apocalypse at the height of horde and I was living in an apartment at the time. Obviously i wouldn't shoot myself when the local news runs a story about wacky methheads biting people. But in the scenario my friends described, I'm already pretty much dead. If I just kill myself, 1.) I don't have to deal with the agony that would come with being attacked by zombies and 2.) I won't add to the horde and kill some person trying their luck.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

"Oh man this episode was bad all they did was cover mad max"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zw_E4qwuNs

This thread is getting really bad in a LOT of ways really fast

pull up

Good loving Christ, why do people still think Tyler from Fight Club is supposed to be taken seriously instead of something to be mocked?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CelticPredator posted:

You know, I'm not the biggest fan of the original Mad Max, but this is straight up bonkers. The original has so much story pushed into every frame, and it's visually unique in almost every way. Not to mention car stunts that rival most big budget films today.

It's just insane you can't see a masssssssiiveeee difference between Mad Max and Clerks.

I mean as far as it being a revolutionary film shot on a shoestring budget that launched the director's career :v: They're completely different genres, yes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Good loving Christ, why do people still think Tyler from Fight Club is supposed to be taken seriously instead of something to be mocked?

The video in no way was heaping adoration on Tyler Durden. Holy poo poo dude, triggered much? It was an example of raging at society; they also showed a black and white film and some stock footage. Who the gently caress cares, that's not even the point of the video.

Maaaaan goons love to argue with non-existent strawmen to feel superior.

You go Crabtree! You get those "people" who don't get that Fight Club is satire! You're so cool man!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Crabtree posted:

He had a cool jacket

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

alpha_destroy posted:

I am yea. In my defense the original question from my friends was full blown zombie apocalypse at the height of horde and I was living in an apartment at the time. Obviously i wouldn't shoot myself when the local news runs a story about wacky methheads biting people. But in the scenario my friends described, I'm already pretty much dead. If I just kill myself, 1.) I don't have to deal with the agony that would come with being attacked by zombies and 2.) I won't add to the horde and kill some person trying their luck.

That's cool. I'd probably at least try to hole up here and get through the food I have, but then all bets are off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean as far as it being a revolutionary film shot on a shoestring budget that launched the director's career :v: They're completely different genres, yes.

They're not even in the same astral plane yo. I mean if you boil it down like that....I guess? But I still can't really be down with that comparison. Max Max is a rad movie. Not my favorite, but pretty neat! It's only real problem is it came before Road Warrior and Fury Road. On it's own, divorced from context, it's a good little film about the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The same dude made all of them. Mad Max is lower-key than the others mostly because it was made on a budget of about ten bucks; the others had big studios backing them, so Miller could go bigger with them.

He also directed Babe: Pig in the city and Happy Feet.

George Miller has had a very interesting and diverse film career.