Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Armacham posted:

I thought it already does that

Hah! shows how much i play her. (only random heros).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Armacham posted:

I thought it already does that

it does

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

press e again to break mei's ice wall early

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

press e again to break mei's ice wall early

Can you write the tips for overwatch please? Nobody seems to know this and your teams' wasted ult is just an oopsie. I like to wall then charge my little shot and E juuuuust right. Enemies use it as valid cover because they assume it's gonna stay there and protect them.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Make Orisa's melee an AoE knock back where she rears up and whineys

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

turtlecrunch posted:

Notice for buffalo fans: Jeff says they are currently experimenting with some buffs for Orisa, no details because he's not sure what will stick yet. "Overall, we feel like she's not far off but not quite in the ideal spot yet."

Oh, nice. The shield cooldown reduction was a lot of what needed to happen, but she still feels kinda squishy for a tank.

Maybe if they just get rid of Scatter Arrow.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the fact that hanzo's core mechanics haven't changed hardly at all is just blizzard plugging their ears and shouting I CANT HEAR YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what I like is that you don't even have to be a big character to get instakilled by Scatter Arrow. I can be running around as 76 and a Hanzo hits my feet and mercs me

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
they probably haven't considered changing scatter arrow because they only look at the metrics, and Hanzo has a really bad winrate at every tier except GM when it juuuust manages to hit 50%. They'll usually only consider a change when the winrate gets to something crazy-high like 50.5%

the solution is to just delete hanzo which fixes both problems

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kassoon posted:

the solution is to just delete every character except hanzo which fixes both problems

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Hanzo is a lot of fun to play.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Hanzo is a lot of fun to play but scatter arrow is a really dumb ability.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kassoon posted:

increase her projectile speed and it'll be fine. I'm thinking maybe instant? Like when you click on their head it registers a hit?

This has been discussed before but giving Orisa a hitscan version of her current weapon would almost certainly be too good without some downgrades to compensate. As it stands it's a 150 ammo full auto weapon with less spread than Sombra's SMG that does 132 DPS. That's low, but making it hitscan makes nailing headshots much much easier than it currently is with the projectile version, and being able to simply hold your crosshair over someone and tape M1 down for over 12 seconds at a time would probably be pretty nuts, especially considering that you'd be doing this from a distance behind a shield. I say this as someone that thinks that Overwatch could use more better damage and less mitigation, but I'm not sure giving Orisa's gun hitscan would actually be a very healthy upgrade for the game as a whole. It would essentially be another reason for flankers and D.Va to be mandatory picks so you would wind up with an unholy fusion of dive comp and shield wars going on.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
orisa is meant to be defensive, not offensive

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you made orisa's gun hitscan you'd probably have to hit it with the same set of downsides the heavy from tf2 has on his chaingun (wind up time, massive falloff, no headshots)

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/893174886390046720

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Don't gently caress around with my cowdaughter. She is the best and most fun character to play and is perfect and I will fight you.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Snazzy Frocks posted:

orisa is meant to be defensive, not offensive

While I'm sure Blizzard like to think of characters in such terms I actually feel like they shouldn't, it doesn't really benefit the game to have characters pigeonholed like that. It's the same dumb way of thinking that gets us "Roadhog does too much damage for a tank!" like tank characters should have a single definition which is being a fat sack of hitpoints that does crap damage and never shall anything more diverse than that enter consideration. It's the one thing I actually respect about their insistence that "Symmetra is a support, support doesn't HAVE to mean healer" despite the fact that they haven't really presented a compelling argument for why Symmetra deserves to be a support, otherwise I agree with the idea that A). roles should be fluid, not concrete, and B). characters should be useful on both offense and defense.

Cowcaster posted:

if you made orisa's gun hitscan you'd probably have to hit it with the same set of downsides the heavy from tf2 has on his chaingun (wind up time, massive falloff, no headshots)

Blizzard would probably hit it with a massive spread increase among other things, which seems to be their favorite way of nerfing hitscan autofire weapons.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Don't gently caress around with my cowdaughter. She is the best and most fun character to play and is perfect and I will fight you.

We're all sick of slow, flanking 76 taking cheap picks with her floor halt, fortify then point blank shooting cheese hook.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

This has been discussed before but giving Orisa a hitscan version of her current weapon would almost certainly be too good without some downgrades to compensate. As it stands it's a 150 ammo full auto weapon with less spread than Sombra's SMG that does 132 DPS. That's low, but making it hitscan makes nailing headshots much much easier than it currently is with the projectile version, and being able to simply hold your crosshair over someone and tape M1 down for over 12 seconds at a time would probably be pretty nuts, especially considering that you'd be doing this from a distance behind a shield. I say this as someone that thinks that Overwatch could use more better damage and less mitigation, but I'm not sure giving Orisa's gun hitscan would actually be a very healthy upgrade for the game as a whole. It would essentially be another reason for flankers and D.Va to be mandatory picks so you would wind up with an unholy fusion of dive comp and shield wars going on.

give her an ak47

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Sorry but Blizzard already reached their mandatory assault rifle quota, all they've got left are glowing energy projectile machineguns.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Give us more zarya-esque beam weapons.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

give us more The Painkiller, from the game Painkiller

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

we've had sniper defense, we had sniper offense for a short period, we've had sniper healer, and tilt sniper. What we need now is sniper tank.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kassoon posted:

we've had sniper defense, we had sniper offense for a short period, we've had sniper healer, and tilt sniper. What we need now is sniper tank.

So something like Crying Wolf from MGS4, with a lady riding inside a big rear end robot with a railgun?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kassoon posted:

I've got just the thing.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
If it were up to me, here are some buffs I'd give Orisa:

1) Firing her gun no longer slows her down
2) Halt's pull is instantaneous (or at least much faster than it is now) and pulls closer to the center of the orb. In exchange its pull distance is decreased from 7.5 meters to 7, maybe make its travel speed a little slower as well if we don't want it to seem OP.
3) Halt has no cooldown, but now costs 50 ammo to fire.
4) Supercharger now functions around corners and behind walls, but the "tether" graphic is still in-play, making it easy to find. This will at least give it a little extra life.
5) 50 additional HP (giving her an effective 675 HP when she uses Fortify, which imo is reasonable for a robotic centaur and also considering she's only Fortified for a few seconds at a time)

I'm of the opinion that while her gun isn't exactly a powerful tool, it's not supposed to be and her weapon is actually okay in the context of the rest of her kit. They should instead focus on what makes Orisa unique and buffing those, namely her crowd-control capabilities and her thickness. That's just me though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Maple Leaf posted:

If it were up to me, here are some buffs I'd give Orisa:

1) Firing her gun no longer slows her down
2) Halt's pull is instantaneous (or at least much faster than it is now) and pulls closer to the center of the orb. In exchange its pull distance is decreased from 7.5 meters to 7, maybe make its travel speed a little slower as well if we don't want it to seem OP.
3) Halt has no cooldown, but now costs 50 ammo to fire.
4) Supercharger now functions around corners and behind walls, but the "tether" graphic is still in-play, making it easy to find. This will at least give it a little extra life.
5) 50 additional HP (giving her an effective 675 HP when she uses Fortify, which imo is reasonable for a robotic centaur and also considering she's only Fortified for a few seconds at a time)

I'm of the opinion that while her gun isn't exactly a powerful tool, it's not supposed to be and her weapon is actually okay in the context of the rest of her kit. They should instead focus on what makes Orisa unique and buffing those, namely her crowd-control capabilities and her thickness. That's just me though.

I agree that I'd look to buffing Halt! which has every time I've attempted to use Orisa felt unnecessarily slow and cumbersome. Faster travel time and quicker response time would be nice places to start. I don't know about making it an ammo driven ability with 0 cooldown...travel time and manual activation keyed to the same button that fires it means you can't really chain it very effectively, so I feel like making it cost ammo would actually be a net nerf overall unless you made it significantly better in the process.

As far as defensive abilities go adding flat HP is the easy road, but I've often wondered if it would be too good or not good enough to make Fortify immunize Orisa from critical hits i.e. headshots.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Kai Tave posted:

I don't know about making it an ammo driven ability with 0 cooldown...travel time and manual activation keyed to the same button that fires it means you can't really chain it very effectively, so I feel like making it cost ammo would actually be a net nerf overall unless you made it significantly better in the process.

Orisa isn't the type of character that's supposed to be solo'ing a bunch of fights with her kit; if she were, then I'd suggest just buffing her gun. If you keep in mind that Orisa should be with her team at all times, or at least pocketting someone, then changing Halt so that it has no cooldown but costs ammo means it'll be drastically easier for her teammates to mow down enemies since they're essentially forced to sit still for twice as long. And even if you take this change into context of her being in a 1v1, three Halts in quick succession means Orisa will have an easier time escaping a pursuer (something she struggles with badly), and two Halts means 50 bullets to get easy, predictable crit shots.

Still, though, this is all theorycrafting. Jeff is the one with the keys and the resources, so we'll just have to believe in him.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

Rirse posted:

So something like Crying Wolf from MGS4, with a lady riding inside a big rear end robot with a railgun?

yes, do exactly that. We need more women in mechs and railguns

Kai Tave posted:

immunize Orisa from critical hits i.e. headshots.

i would burn down blizzard hq

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kassoon posted:

i would burn down blizzard hq

Zarya bubbles immunize her from everything dude, even if Fortify gave Orisa a window of crit immunity it would still be a pale imitation of something that already exists in the game.

e;

Maple Leaf posted:

Orisa isn't the type of character that's supposed to be solo'ing a bunch of fights with her kit; if she were, then I'd suggest just buffing her gun. If you keep in mind that Orisa should be with her team at all times, or at least pocketting someone, then changing Halt so that it has no cooldown but costs ammo means it'll be drastically easier for her teammates to mow down enemies since they're essentially forced to sit still for twice as long. And even if you take this change into context of her being in a 1v1, three Halts in quick succession means Orisa will have an easier time escaping a pursuer (something she struggles with badly), and two Halts means 50 bullets to get easy, predictable crit shots.

My point was that when you take travel time and and activation time into account, plus the fact that you can't fire off a second Halt without detonating the first one, it already has an effective cooldown between uses, the only time you'd be able to chain them is if someone's so close to you that they're practically in your face. Making Halt consume 50 ammunition per use would be a huge nerf because that's a third of Orisa's ammo and she has a pretty long reload animation.

I agree that Orisa can't really solo people and shouldn't be trying but I think it'd be better for Halt to get some QoL improvements that Orisa can use to help in fights without also limiting her already kinda not stellar gun's own capabilities in the process.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 4, 2017

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
anyone have any idea why blizzard seems to be so heavy on the attacking architypes in the game?

I'm not surprised doomfist isn't a healer but at 4 heros a year rate, im not sure will ever feel cool for people who don't dps.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
A tank, healer and 2 dps a year seems like a pretty good mix to me. Maybe throw in a support once in a while but it's ok I think.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Field Mousepad posted:

A tank, healer and 2 dps a year seems like a pretty good mix to me. Maybe throw in a support once in a while but it's ok I think.

Defense will never get any love.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SectumSempra posted:

anyone have any idea why blizzard seems to be so heavy on the attacking architypes in the game?

They aren't? Ana is a support, Orisa is a low-damage tank, and Sombra is considered an "Offense hero" on paper only, in practice people who get mileage out of her do so by running her in a support slot because if you try to use her as a primary DPS your damage will be gently caress-awful, leaving Doomfist as the only real offensively-geared new hero in over a year since the game was launched.

Also "Overwatch is too heavily slanted towards DPS/attack heroes" hasn't been true in forever, if anything Blizzard keeps blunting damage and buffing mitigation across the board. I fully expect Doomfist to get nerfed eventually.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean the thing about the way Overwatch categorizes heroes, "Offense" heroes are neither all about super high DPS (Sombra, Genji's shurikens are pretty much a "poke til you get ult" weapon most of the time) nor are they necessarily heroes that are meant to be "attackers" (you still want Offense heroes when defending), what separates Offense heroes from Defense heroes (who generally have fairly robust damage on a per-numbers basis) is that Offense heroes have mobility while Defense heroes don't. This is why Offense heroes are generally all right to great while Defense heroes are generally lackluster to bad and/or extremely niche oriented, because Offense heroes have ways to engage and disengage from fights while Defense heroes have little to fall back on once they start getting rolled, and additionally have very little way to take the initiative in a fight through jukes, repositioning, or a quick engage. Some of them even have to stand still to do their thing which is a cardinal sin in shooter land.

It's why the hypothetical Junkrat change they're working on where he gets a second concussion mine is a step in the right direction, because if they do it right it won't so much be a straight numbers buff as a way for skilled players to gain more mobility which is one of Junkrat's primary weaknesses, how easy it is to dunk on him with impunity at ranges where the best he can hope for is to spam M1 and hope you're dumb enough to walk into the cricket balls.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

It's why the hypothetical Junkrat change they're working on where he gets a second concussion mine is a step in the right direction, because if they do it right it won't so much be a straight numbers buff as a way for skilled players to gain more mobility which is one of Junkrat's primary weaknesses, how easy it is to dunk on him with impunity at ranges where the best he can hope for is to spam M1 and hope you're dumb enough to walk into the cricket balls.

man i've watched too much Chro and all i can think of is how hilariously mobile junkrat can be if you play him right, even with just one conc mine, but then i remember the average junkrat player and i get sad

chro with two mines is going to be a loving monster. :brrring:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kerrrrrrr posted:

man i've watched too much Chro and all i can think of is how hilariously mobile junkrat can be if you play him right, even with just one conc mine, but then i remember the average junkrat player and i get sad

chro with two mines is going to be a loving monster. :brrring:

I mean yeah, skilled players can pull off sick moves with Junkrat but it's unfortunate that doing so means giving up one of your best burst/knockback tools in the process, plus to be honest mine jumping in Overwatch feels overly restrictive in that the airbrakes kick in too quickly imo. Having two mines means having one to engage with, then one to either disengage with or help burst someone down, or simply give you enough ups to pull off some crazy poo poo that previously you had to wait to stagger cooldowns for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Also you're moving in a predictable manner, so you start running into people that can track and aim, and suddenly you die.