Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone using Ordinator actually found the Spirit Tutors from the Restoration tree? Looking around the internet seems to say that they move between two fixed points on main roads, but I've covered about half the map without seeing one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Has anyone using Ordinator actually found the Spirit Tutors from the Restoration tree? Looking around the internet seems to say that they move between two fixed points on main roads, but I've covered about half the map without seeing one.

I'm amazed enough whenever I stumble across one of the wild shrines.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Of course right after I post, I find one in the road from Falkreth to Helgan

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Agents are GO! posted:

Then you must be posting from bizzaro-verse.

I guess for $10 you can't go wrong either way.

Stefan Prodan posted:

... he makes racist jokes about buying your relatives if you're Khajiit.

He must make those jokes to everyone because Khajiit is the only race I haven't played and I've heard that joke a lot.

wormil fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 3, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Skyrim is a game that everyone wants to be good.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I guess for $10 you can't go wrong either way.

He must make those jokes to everyone because Khajiit is the only race I haven't played and I've heard that joke a lot.

Oh really? Haha drat I hadn't played as a Khajiit before and everyone else was saying racist poo poo at me and so I thought he was just joining in

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh really? Haha drat I hadn't played as a Khajiit before and everyone else was saying racist poo poo at me and so I thought he was just joining in

They're just mad because they can't handle a talking rug being their prophesized god-king.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Though it's still less of an insult than an elf dragonborn.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Stefan Prodan posted:

but man I wish they had better writers.
TES was never known for good writing. On the other hand, Witcher games are based on some very well written books. Most of the characters are already well-characterized in the books.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 4, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dwesa posted:

TES was never known for good writing. On the other hand, Witcher games are based on some very well written books. Most of the characters are already well-characterized in the books.

Morrowind absolutely had good writing (and bad, but plenty of good) they just dumped it all when they decided literally everything must be voice acted.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dwesa posted:

morrowind has some of the best and most memorable writing in any game. even the overarching story has people still talking about it 15 years later. chim, 26 sermons, the tribunal etc

skyrim doubled down on the bog standard western mythos and failed to characterize anyone or anything, I can't think of a single backstory to a character or god besides "ulfric shouted a king to death"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Its amazing that they managed to make something so mundane out of a story about the two halves of a schizophrenic god having a philosophical argument, with the Dragonborn being the eternally recurring centre and genesis of linear reality and Alduin being a demiurge figure leading angels made of time , but... they managed I guess

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

Morrowind absolutely had good writing (and bad, but plenty of good) they just dumped it all when they decided literally everything must be voice acted.

this is what really did it. You already have publishers saying that players need to experience everything in one play through. Having to spend money on voice acting multiple conversational outcomes? I dread the next Elder Scrolls where they decide the PC needs a voice actor.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I like to say that the problem is that Bethesda's best writing never loving shows up in game other than in books/notes/background.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I like to say that the problem is that Bethesda's best writing never loving shows up in game other than in books/notes/background.

ahem

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

He hath done that which cannot be undone!

Fool! I have done thy mother!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I enjoyed the story of Shivering Isles. Oblivion itself, eh, nothing really special.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Its amazing that they managed to make something so mundane out of a story about the two halves of a schizophrenic god having a philosophical argument, with the Dragonborn being the eternally recurring centre and genesis of linear reality and Alduin being a demiurge figure leading angels made of time , but... they managed I guess

Wait... what?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Soonmot posted:

this is what really did it. You already have publishers saying that players need to experience everything in one play through. Having to spend money on voice acting multiple conversational outcomes? I dread the next Elder Scrolls where they decide the PC needs a voice actor.

As long as the hero is a Khajiit, I'll accept it.

GunnerJ posted:

Wait... what?

Some of the Elder Scrolls lore is really weird.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Some of the Elder Scrolls lore is really weird.

That is, if anything, completely straightforward compared to some of it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Yeah, Morrowind managed to break the mold and I still remember it fondly. Maybe I should've written "Bethesda's writing and world-building was interesting 15 years ago and it was interesting only occasionally since then." I believe that TES games were/are mostly played for their open-worldness and first-person RPG sandboxing, some people probably noticed craziness of the lore behind it in case they bothered to read the books, but MW was basically only game where craziness of that world was visible in-game (and Shivering Isles felt like an attempt to return to it), because Kirkbride also did the concept art and not only some of the writing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

wormil posted:

Stefan Prodan posted:

I was just playing a new Nord character and he said that, so yeah, he probably says it to everyone.

edit; the one downside of playing SSE on PC is I miss all the hilarious glitches of playing on console. Like the time my wife got stuck walking backward and she did it for the rest of the game. Or the epic mudcrab vs dragon battle I once witnessed in Whiterun hold. It was a literal line of dozens of mudcrabs marching up to a dragon and fighting it, and they almost (collectively) won. The dragon was down to a sliver of health when it killed the last mudcrab. Haven't seen anything remotely like that in SSE. Maybe because of the patches.

wormil fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 6, 2017

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Wait... what?

The entire tes universe takes place in the dream of a godhead, who has two conflicting personalities, Anu and Padomey (Sithis). Anu is the force of stasis and Padomey is the force of change. Akatosh was the "archangel" created to make sense (time) of the events that happened in the universe. He was tricked by Lorkhan (his uh younger brother who liked sithis more than anu) into creating the world along with the other 7 divines. Those who didn't make the world were the daedric princes or the magna ge (stars, plus the sun). Also the gods are literally planets. Nirn is the combination of 8 planets who are also the laws of physics. That's why the divines don't seem to have real power, because they are literally part of the world and you don't even notice their influence.

anyway at some point akatosh shattered himself into pieces and those are the dragons, the first of which was Alduin. Dragons are literally time itself which is why they can't be destroyed, only absorbed by Alduin or a Dragonborn. His job is to eat everything so time can be one again reset and the universe can replay with small differences. By the time of Skyrim the world is nearing the end which is why everything sucks and is breaking down. ANyway that's the most sane way to explain it. Bye.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Oh also this version of the TES universe doesn't have the law of memory, so if everyone believes something happened, it did. And if everyone forgets something (Like what the Thalmor are trygin to do to Talos) it never existed. Michael Kirkbride is insane and it rules.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
:stare:

Jesus Christ.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

... You didn't know?

Anyway, that's a good reason why Talos isn't a real Divine. He's not a planet!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Todd "The Paid Nude Children Mod God" Howard turned it into viking dragons.

Anyway can someone remind me what the best follower enhancer mod is? SSE

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

That doesn't even get into the various beings (Tiber Septim/Talos, Vivec, Molag Bal possibly, and the player-character of any of the various games) who gain power from knowing that they're actually in a videogame.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

docbeard posted:

That doesn't even get into the various beings (Tiber Septim/Talos, Vivec, Molag Bal possibly, and the player-character of any of the various games) who gain power from knowing that they're actually in a videogame.

skyrim is much worse for not having a character writing books about being a video game character instructing you the player on how to beat the game

those books don't even exist in oblivion or skyrim, what the gently caress lmao

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Also how hard is it to convert a mod to SSE? been thinking of just doing a bunch of easy mods if it only takes a few minutes a piece. One's that others haven't done due to "copyright" (lmao)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

my understanding is its a bit fiddly but not hard, someone in thread was doing it a few months back.

also if you haven't tried enderal then get to it, it's really good. its like if skyrim had a good plot, interesting lore and competent voice actors (there are a couple of stinkers but the best ones are superb).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sebmojo posted:

my understanding is its a bit fiddly but not hard, someone in thread was doing it a few months back.

also if you haven't tried enderal then get to it, it's really good. its like if skyrim had a good plot, interesting lore and competent voice actors (there are a couple of stinkers but the best ones are superb).

its like if skyrim 100% lifted the plot from mass effect

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

its like if skyrim 100% lifted the plot from mass effect

And was (more) boring and levelling was clunkier. I would've liked Enderal a lot more if they'd just kept Skyrim's mechanics rather than trying to bolt on ones of their own.

Average Bear posted:

Also how hard is it to convert a mod to SSE? been thinking of just doing a bunch of easy mods if it only takes a few minutes a piece. One's that others haven't done due to "copyright" (lmao)

Converting mods to SSE is fairly easy. You'll need the nif converter, something to extract BSA files, and the SE CK.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea why the Bethesda launcher can't update/install the CK for me anymore? I Reinstalled it and it works now.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 8, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

skyrim is much worse for not having a character writing books about being a video game character instructing you the player on how to beat the game

those books don't even exist in oblivion or skyrim, what the gently caress lmao

maybe when Vivec got bored and wandered out of existence or whatever he did (I'm not reading the Trial of Vivec I know MK thinks it's canon but it's an embarassing forum roleplay for gently caress's sake) they ceased to exist along with him

or not, I guess

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Serious Answer: When the original Tribunal took power again, they probably banned the books.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

docbeard posted:

who gain power from knowing that they're actually in a videogame.

But you've got to do this exactly right or you just cease to exist instead. You need to understand that the world is just a dream, and that it is real, and that these things are not contradictory.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
SSE
How important is it to use TES4Edit?

Wrye tells me:
code:
= Check Mods
This is a report on your currently active/merged mods.

=== Mergeable
Following mods are active, but could be merged into the bashed patch.
* AFT_NoFriendlySpellDamage.esp
* icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp
* pickpocket100.esp
* RLO - Illuminated Spells.esp
* XPMSSE.esp

=== Mods that need cleaning with TES4Edit
Following mods have identical to master (ITM) records, deleted records (UDR), or other issues that should be fixed with TES4Edit. 
Visit the TES4Edit Cleaning Guide for more information.
* Ambriel.esp:  UDR(1)
* Arc_Cyrae.esp:  UDR(63)
* Dawnguard.esm:  Contains dirty edits, needs cleaning.
* Dragonborn.esm:  Contains dirty edits, needs cleaning.
* Easy Ragged Flagon Travel.esp:  UDR(7)
* Eli_Breezehome.esp:  UDR(2)
* Gwelda Dawnguard Armor.esp:  UDR(1)
* Hearthfires.esm:  Contains dirty edits, needs cleaning.
* Recorder Follower Base.esp:  UDR(2)
* Update.esm:  Contains dirty edits, needs cleaning.
* Warchief Stronghold.esp:  UDR(15)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agents are GO! posted:

And was (more) boring and levelling was clunkier. I would've liked Enderal a lot more if they'd just kept Skyrim's mechanics rather than trying to bolt on ones of their own.

Converting mods to SSE is fairly easy. You'll need the nif converter, something to extract BSA files, and the SE CK.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea why the Bethesda launcher can't update/install the CK for me anymore? I Reinstalled it and it works now.

tough crowd.

I agree the leveling by books isn't great, but it keeps money relevant right til the end which isn't something rpgs generally manage.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I was going to try to avoid having to post here but it's gotten to the point where trying to figure out my problem has gotten more and more frustrating.

Every time I've reinstalled Skyrim and all my mods in the past I've never had a problem ever running any of the mods and the game itself has always run smoothly. This time around, though, my game will pretty frequently just infinitely load at a loading screen until I restart my computer or it just instantly quits to desktop with no error message or anything. Reading up shows that the first problem was probably caused by a memory problem with the game and I did the skse.ini memory thing from the OP. I get a warning when I start a game saying that the memory fix isn't active even though I've copied it directly from the OP. It did seem to work for a time anyway until it ended up happening again. I searched further and found a mod called SafetyLoad that was supposed to fix the problem. That didn't either. I'm not entirely sure why it's happening and it's extremely annoying having to restart my computer several times when I want to play. The second problem I searched for and found that dropping the shadow details would work for that and that also didn't work.

ModOrganizer is coming up with no order or incompatibility warnings or errors, and the only one it is popping up with is saying I have things in my Overwrite folder which I don't entirely understand. Should I post my mod list here or is there some well-known fix I'm just not seeing? I'm starting to wonder if I've placed that memory fix in the right spot. When I search for an SKSE folder, the only one I see it in is under Documents>My Games>Skyrim>SKSE. I don't see anywhere a folder that goes Data>SKSE. But that wouldn't fix the instant quit problem I assume.

Any help would be seriously appreciated. I've gotten back into the Skyrim mood and I don't want the several hours I spent modding this thing up to go to waste, cause I really want to play again. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

wormil posted:

SSE
How important is it to use TES4Edit?

Wrye tells me:
code:
= Check Mods
This is a report on your currently active/merged mods.

=== Mergeable
Following mods are active, but could be merged into the bashed patch.
* AFT_NoFriendlySpellDamage.esp
* icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp
* pickpocket100.esp
* RLO - Illuminated Spells.esp
* XPMSSE.esp

=== Mods that need cleaning with TES4Edit
Following mods have identical to master (ITM) records, deleted records (UDR), or other issues that should be fixed with TES4Edit. 
Visit the TES4Edit Cleaning Guide for more information.
* Ambriel.esp:  UDR(1)
* Arc_Cyrae.esp:  UDR(63)
* Dawnguard.esm:  Contains dirty edits, needs cleaning.
* Dragonborn.esm:  Contains dirty edits, needs cleaning.
* Easy Ragged Flagon Travel.esp:  UDR(7)
* Eli_Breezehome.esp:  UDR(2)
* Gwelda Dawnguard Armor.esp:  UDR(1)
* Hearthfires.esm:  Contains dirty edits, needs cleaning.
* Recorder Follower Base.esp:  UDR(2)
* Update.esm:  Contains dirty edits, needs cleaning.
* Warchief Stronghold.esp:  UDR(15)

I cleaned my sse esms and had constant crashes around falkreath, until I reverted the changes