Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Sometimes, if we're far enough ahead, I'll snipe. It's very rewarding hearing that KACHING when you get a headshot.

I won't apologize for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
You guys realize you can use a scoped sniper without having to sit way back in the spawn? Like the SMLE marksman is basically made for an aggressive sniper. Just treat the scope like an acog or something.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I feel like the auto aim is much more helpful with the iron sight variant than scopes though

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If you're not spotting pubbies as a sniper you're bad and you should feel bad.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
It is, especially against still targets but I turned that poo poo off since it was screwing with my fully automatic weapons. The sight picture is much better with a scope however.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The m95 and Russian 1895 trench are the two coolest guns in the game by far

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Excellent work tonight BUTT

Midweek pubbies are way worse than weekend pubbies

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
midweek pubbies make me feel better about myself

especially the late morning/early afternoon ones

red19fire
May 26, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I didn't think you were calling me out, I'm just saying that if you're running and gunning as a recon you shouldn't feel guilty as long as you have no scope. Recon run'n'gunning owns and more people should try it. Those flares are a game-changer.

I have zero sympathy for snipers though, because for 99% of them that SICKNASTY HEADSHOT is sandwiched on both sides by about 500 missed shots. If you're still sitting in spawn after all of that missing, you need better things to do with your time.

Pretty much the only sniper I put up with is my buddy ADMRL Thrawn, because 1) he understands bullet drop and actually makes his shots most of the time and 2) he works with me and my other buddies to be more effective. He calls out people in points that the rest of us are on, 3D spots vehicles with the periscope, and when we tell him we're getting sniped from somewhere, he listens and takes the enemy snipers out instead of trying to land that SICKNASTY HEADSHOT on a dude in the point that three of us were already shooting at anyway. In short, he actually does the job recon is supposed to have. A sniper who actually works with you is fantastic SUPPORT, but every pubbie has this idea that snipers are Lone Wolves who turn the tide of the match with their skills. That's bullshit and every single one of them should get knifed, clubbed, or humiliation AT rocketed.

every sniper should be no more than 100m from their squad, or the team's front. spot constantly, flares everywhere, drill far off snipers, harass dug-in defenders on a point, leave booby traps on main avenues.

VVV I was a wrench spinner and they taught us the basic tenets of infantry tactics in a 3 week course, plus a bunch of pre-deployment specific training. The USMC historic record since Vietnam is 1 kill for every 1.7 rounds fired in combat. XX_UgOtSn1pEd_XX would get a dishonorable discharge if they got a kill for every 100 shots.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 4, 2017

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
What are Marine sniper rules?

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I almost exclusively use the lebel infantry and support pushes by staying a little ways back and using flares and spotting targets. It's super satisfying and rather useful. It's the way to use scouts effectively. Plus if my team is massively ahead or behind I've become quite good at hitting 200m+ shots without a scope. Infantry rifles are quite effective at killing wookies sitting in their base once you get a feel for bullet drop.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I'm total garbage with scopes but really dig bolt action rifles so I'm stoked it's a viable option in BF1. The 1903 experimental is great fun for run/gun/spot scouts too.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
The m1903 experimental is a cool idea but it gets tiring to use because it takes so many rounds to kill anyone. I'm looking forward to that rifle in the new dlc that has a 15-30m sweet spot. That sounds great for close range scout, especially if you use the frommer as a quick follow up if you don't 1 hit someone.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

red19fire posted:

every sniper should be no more than 100m from their squad, or the team's front. spot constantly, flares everywhere, drill far off snipers, harass dug-in defenders on a point, leave booby traps on main avenues.

VVV I was a wrench spinner and they taught us the basic tenets of infantry tactics in a 3 week course, plus a bunch of pre-deployment specific training. The USMC historic record since Vietnam is 1 kill for every 1.7 rounds fired in combat. XX_UgOtSn1pEd_XX would get a dishonorable discharge if they got a kill for every 100 shots.

shut up you nasty boot

i guess we dont wear nametapes on our cammies huh?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It was good to return after a long break to shoot hot loads in BUTT. Had some smashing moments last night:

On Soissons, by the chateau. Using a field gun to try and shoot doods on the hill. No luck, so decided to do one last random arcing shot over the castle towards C and then go running to find someone to shoot. 4 seconds after leaving the gun I get a popup saying that shell hit some poor sod on the other end of the battlefield. His kill cam must have been confusing AF

Then I was on Ballroom Blitz, on an AA gun. Bomber flies over right overhead, and I shoot it, disabling it. Pilot bails out, and I get to shoot him with the AA gun before his parachute hits the floor.

Then I find someone had just left a horse outside the chateau, so I take it, run down two people, win a joust against a proper cavalryman, then follow two dudes up a flight of stairs onto the balcony and ride them down too.

Then I'm hiding in the chateau as a zeppelin rains death down. I aim my Lebel up at the gondola right overhead, not expecting much. but one shot takes out a gunner. Literally a second later a dude lands on a parachute 2 steps in front of me, and he gets a shovel in the face. It was a very pleasing 5 seconds.

I'd have uploaded clips but :effort:

Also, bolt action forward scout is still the most fun I've ever had in this game, the only multiplayer shooter in 20+ years where I have a positive k/d. Got myself a medal last night for 20 kills with each of the new primaries, and in the process fell in love with the Lebel which is my current go to bolt action. That funky reload aside (and man alive good luck with k bullets) it's sexy AF. urn to my M95/M98 at some point, but rocking this bad boy for a bit.

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004
I was excited to to be able to join up wit the legendary gunshow poophole and parkingtigers yesterday. Funny to hear gunshow hug doods all the time and see how he rocketed up the scoreboard when he switched from scout to assault.

Sorry about about the interrogation about hong kong parkingtigers, i'm just genuinely interested about life on the other side of the world to me.

Was there a consensus that butt clans should be in Harry (butt) squad?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLig552U9KE

I did it. I spent all five thousand of my scraps. I bought the prettiest sword. I farmed all the challenges. I unlocked all the things. Now I can play the game??

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

shut up you nasty boot

i guess we dont wear nametapes on our cammies huh?

Actually I don't because i'm uhhhh in a secret unit that's top secret because the drill instructors told the commandant i'm too tough for the marines, but my DD214 says i was an OTH discharge for drunk driving to maintain my cover.

also i somehow still have insanely powerful esprit de corps

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
I finally gave in and bought the Martini Henry and I think I'm sold on it now. I bought it less than a minute beforehand and these were my first 3 shots.

https://gfycat.com/DizzyCanineBull

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Auxiliary Treats posted:

I finally gave in and bought the Martini Henry and I think I'm sold on it now. I bought it less than a minute beforehand and these were my first 3 shots.

You missed out on the glory days of the Martini Henry at launch when it was bugged. It was glorious. Any shot that landed in the sweet spot, 30 to 80m, instead of just upper torso, would 1 shot people. I racked up 2,200 kills before they fixed the bug and it's never been the same. It really is the most satisfying gun to shoot in the game even if it has the bullet velocity of a potato gun.

I wish they would implement that bug again. The martini is hard to use anyways and is worse than every of rifle in the game in every single way so why not have it be a murder cannon that has insane drawbacks? I would never use any other gun again.

Live At Five! fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 5, 2017

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Great times today, the twelve or so BUTTs and company who cycled through. Whoever said "Get hugged!" first I'm totally stealing your catchphrase

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Auxiliary Treats posted:

I like the little jump to the ground at the beginning.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Great times today, the twelve or so BUTTs and company who cycled through. Whoever said "Get hugged!" first I'm totally stealing your catchphrase

I was in there for a few glorious games as [BUTT]IHeartJamesMay. Sorry I don't have a mic. My cat ate mine. Literally. Bit it in half.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Always glad to tank lord it up for you. And take a bullet for you with my massive steel body.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Did I see a blurb about double XP?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
It's really funny to read the pc thread and this one. That one's constantly bitching, bout the other players, bugs, the lack of a playerbase...and this one is just people enjoying a loving fun game. I'm off tomorrow, probably put in some hours.

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy
I love this game and all you guys.

http://imgur.com/xVmwq0P
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Ryfael/video/34830337

Ardent Communist posted:

It's really funny to read the pc thread and this one. That one's constantly bitching, bout the other players, bugs, the lack of a playerbase...and this one is just people enjoying a loving fun game. I'm off tomorrow, probably put in some hours.

The evolution from PC to Console game just completed for the Battlefield series.

I'm ok with this :unsmith:

Argento fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 6, 2017

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Snipers and limpets go together so well

https://gfycat.com/TheseOddballBelugawhale

I also got to try out the elusive land boat

https://gfycat.com/SourSolidAffenpinscher

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ardent Communist posted:

This more or less sums up just about every PC vs console debate.

BUT MY BETTER GRAPHICS AND WASD/MOUSE :cry:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
We had some times tonight, can't say I'm a fan of frontlines but uh, good to chuckle about poo poo with the BUTTs

Also hilarious rolling with a squad full of my IRL friends who are all very new to the game and get both real mad and real glad at times haha

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The m95 and Russian 1895 trench are the two coolest guns in the game by far

Occasionally I'll have a round with the infantry variant of the Lebel 1886, but otherwise I love the M.95 and the 1895 Trench. People don't expect you to get a second shot off so quickly with the Trench, it's great.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
As a funny aside, I have pretty outstanding internet and usually roll in the 17-20 ms range for ping to US East servers

A friend of mine lives outside D.C. and got fiber in the other day and consistently rolls with 6 ping. The Livest Actualest Gameplay!!

Also suggests the servers are physically hosted within a couple hundred miles lmao.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Unless I'm on a fully laden local server in HK, which doesn't happen much as it tries to push everyone to Japanese servers, I usually roll 200 ping. And yet, the game is still surprisingly smooth and playable at that. I mean this is still the only multiplayer shooter I've ever had a positive k/d ratio in, and I get to have fun and murder dudes with an often sketchy server connection so...

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Scope status: still for losers

http://i.imgur.com/REv8SDx.gifv

:madmax: :madmax: :madmax:

http://i.imgur.com/zT26mlD.gifv

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Apparently a saber can do a decent amount of damage to a vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w37rOMgprPQ

I also can't believe I pulled this off and survived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFUNDBBJKpQ

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 9, 2017

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMb8NaKACMY

I'm real bad at bayonets

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Pubbie hatemail best hatemail

Laminator fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 9, 2017

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Legendary screen name

My favorite the other night was a dude named "buttfulloflube"

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

The second Community mission is on until the 13th. Gotta win 3 games of Rush. It's the second step towards the exclusive hug device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
It's real :dice: that they added functionality to track your progress for community missions but it doesn't track the 3 part summer mission.