Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I just read in a review that all of the blue, glowing crap on Roland's revolvers that has been a staple of literally every piece of marketing for the film has been removed in the final cut.

I am very interested to hear more details about the production now, because that is some super last minute tweaking. To what end, I can not even imagine.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Well it just pisses me off that this movie is boring. That means it will be most likely the last we see of it for a long time. If it was just bad someone would try to do better but with the film being boring they will blame the source material instead of the makers.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Like someone said earlier, they could have just done a straight shot for shot adaptation of The Gunslinger, and it would have been great. Cut a few things here and there, but just use Roland's journey across the desert until he meets the Man in Black at the end. It would have been perfect. It's really hard to believe how badly they hosed this up.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Also a straight adaptation of The Gunslinger probably would have been way cheaper than this movie.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Let us count the horrible movies Sony has put out in the last 2 years...

The Amazing Spiderman 2
Passengers
Inferno
Pixels
Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2
Robocop
Ghostbusters
The Angry Birds Movie
The Emoji Movie
The Dark Tower

Someone put this studio out of it's misery please.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Soundtrack is up on Spotify. I imagine that also includes other music streaming services.

Sounds like early stuff from a workprint of Fury Road.

Shits sake.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

JailTrump posted:

The Amazing Spiderman 2
Passengers
Inferno
Pixels
Robocop
Ghostbusters
The Angry Birds Movie
The Emoji Movie
The Dark Tower

quote:

The Emoji Movie
The Dark Tower

The two worst reviewed movies of the summer, a week apart from each other, both from the same studio. Honestly impressive

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

JailTrump posted:

The Amazing Spiderman 2
Passengers
Inferno
Pixels
Robocop
Ghostbusters
The Angry Birds Movie
The Emoji Movie
The Dark Tower

This is the cinematic universe that Sony deserves.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Diabetic posted:

Well it just pisses me off that this movie is boring. That means it will be most likely the last we see of it for a long time. If it was just bad someone would try to do better but with the film being boring they will blame the source material instead of the makers.

Yea I was hoping that this would just be passably mediocre. Just barely good enough that someone 10 or 12 years from now might see the seed of something great and try to have another go at it. But this is like Fantastic Four level disaster, the IP is gonna be good and dead for a loooong time.

Unless somehow the television series somehow hits, but I can't imagine that happening.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I could see maybe Netflix wanting to pick up the TV series a genre show like that with an established IP is kind of something they're sorely lacking.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Given their success with Stranger Things, aka "Silent Hill as written by Stephen King", I think a Dark Tower series would be right up Netflix's alley. Unfortunately I doubt they could keep Mcconaughey or Elba attached and it also doesn't seem like they're really in a spot to bail out failed IPs with some upside potential at this point.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Given their success with Stranger Things, aka "Silent Hill as written by Stephen King", I think a Dark Tower series would be right up Netflix's alley. Unfortunately I doubt they could keep Mcconaughey or Elba attached and it also doesn't seem like they're really in a spot to bail out failed IPs with some upside potential at this point.

The rights to King's books are tied up with multiple studios much in the same way that Marvel's properties are. I'd love to see this, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon with that Castle Rock show being developed at Hulu.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

It would have to be a media partnership between them and Sony and they do have a history with partnering with other companies to put together content, could happen.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Sounds like at the very least this will make for an entertaining episode of Radio Free Midworld.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Guy Mann posted:

Sounds like at the very least this will make for an entertaining episode of Radio Free Midworld.

Set your watch and warrant on it, thankee sai.

I'm for sure going to see this at the $5 theatre in the afternoon next week and I'm sure there will be less than 5 people there.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
For fans of the books: was the kid the main character? My least favourite part of the movie was that it wasn't 'fantasy' enough. It had some elements that were confusingly unexplained (why were they wearing skin masks? Who are the Gunslingers? etc) but otherwise there was too much of the kid and New York.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Shneak posted:

For fans of the books: was the kid the main character?

Not even close. Especially not in book 1.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shneak posted:

For fans of the books: was the kid the main character?

Nope

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 3, 2017

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Shneak posted:

For fans of the books: was the kid the main character? My least favourite part of the movie was that it wasn't 'fantasy' enough. It had some elements that were confusingly unexplained

Roland is 100% the main character of the Dark Tower series. Jake is definitely an important character, but ultimately he serves to illustrate Roland's character. As far as being 'fantasy', I'd say that the books are much more sci-fi than fantasy.

Not sure if your other questions were rhetorical, but I'll answer them anyway to the best of my availability.

Shneak posted:

why were they wearing skin masks?

I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't give you the movie's answer, but the short answer is that these guys aren't humans. They have crazy animal or otherwise hosed up faces that they cover with human masks.

Shneak posted:

Who are the Gunslingers?

There's an old city called Gilead. The heroes of Gilead were the gunslingers. They are sworn to protect civilization, sorta like jedi. Bad poo poo went down in Gilead, thanks to Walter and some others, and now Roland is the only one left.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
This looked like poo poo from the first trailers on, like many have said. And it's obvious that Sony is making GBS threads themselves trying desperately to have a successful franchise but is not bold enough to give these films the money and creative freedom they need, so we end up with safe and boring movies no one cares about.
I haven't even read any of the Dark Tower books but just by reading some of the wikipedia summaries etc. promises some vivid imagery and potentially insane stories and visuals. None of the trailers have any of that, it looks so generic and plain, like any other YA-movie failure of recent times. How is that possible with Elba and McConaughey as your leads? loving hell.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I know it's a small thing, but going back to interviews with Elba and McConaughey, Elba looks so bored in the interviews like he wants to distance himself as much as possible. He also said he did next to no research on this, that just along with the mess of this movie really piss me off because the Gunslinger was my gateway to King's writing and my love of reading as a whole. I consider LotR my favorite story but Gunslinger is forever my favorite book, despite the silliness of the later books in the series.

Sorry I know this is probably annoying but this is probably the only place that I can vent about this considering from now on if it's brought up in conversation it will be "Oh, that boring movie?" :sigh:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think the public has been conditioned to the idea that sometimes Stephen King adaptations are bad and don't represent the book's quality.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Diabetic posted:

I know it's a small thing, but going back to interviews with Elba and McConaughey, Elba looks so bored in the interviews like he wants to distance himself as much as possible. He also said he did next to no research on this, that just along with the mess of this movie really piss me off because the Gunslinger was my gateway to King's writing and my love of reading as a whole. I consider LotR my favorite story but Gunslinger is forever my favorite book, despite the silliness of the later books in the series.

Everyone hates doing the promotional tour. I wouldn't hold it against Elba, in particular.

Going by the reviews his and McConnaughey's performances are the only bright spots in this bland piece of poo poo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm about to find out just how bad this movie is.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Same in about an hour and I think I'm going to be very sad.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Well, this was a surprisingly kid friendly movie (there's violence and killing but less severe than a Harry Potter movie) that felt exactly like a bad Star Trek TNG episode.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
Lots of little nods (especially the Billybumbler one) but if this iteration is just another turn of the wheel, then I wonder what the gently caress happened in the other turns. I guess I'd get back in for another ride, but I don't see an organically formed ka-tet happening on the big screen; not enough time.

Idris was great, would have loved him in a better adaptation. McConaughey had great presence, but holy hell did he have awful lines. The ending was lame as hell.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Movie sucked a lot. Really boring. What a disappointment.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bubble Bobby posted:

Movie sucked a lot. Really boring. What a disappointment.

How did lobstrosities look?

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 4, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This was basically The Talisman with Roland from book 3 in it. What the gently caress.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

At least we got a Roland Flagg showdown instead of a goofy spider. I will say that. Also, lol at psychic powers being straight up called The Shine in this.

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001
Well, after the trailers I thought this was looking awful but instead it was more like fine but a missed opportunity. As a book lover, that's a lot to overcome in terms of disappointment but I wouldn't say this was awful.

This felt like the studio crunched the numbers, decided they could only make one movie from this series so they sat down and attempted to pull together bits and pieces from all over to make one story and end it. If one movie was all they could do I was actually sort of impressed at how much they put in without being like a Last Airbender sort of disaster but with so many elements pulled into this story, if they did somehow have a hit and wanted sequels, they've already stolen many iconic elements from future books.

McConnaughey was walking a fine line but in the end I would say he was pretty good, I certainly appreciated his effort at least, he didn't phone it in. I think just a slight bit more humor and he would have been good version of Walter, but I think while they leaned there a little they pulled him back in to being too serious. I enjoyed his scenes but found myself expecting jokes or a little insanity from him but he stayed in control. He was a well crafted threat, though, I mean I actually appreciated the interpretation of a dude with magic. Far more intimidating and 'real' than, say, a Harry Potter villain.

I thought everything looked pretty great including the taheen which were ripe for being terrible. Perhaps too dark in places and CG where it wasn't really necessary to have crammed a CG thing in.

It's hard to judge this as a book fan, I was disappointed by the missed chance to do something great but I can't say that as its own thing it is more terrible than, say, every other film Sony has put out recently. As far as being entertained, I enjoyed it more than War for the Planet of the Apes once I set aside my book fan disappointment in the entire handling of this IP.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

EchoBase posted:

He was a well crafted threat

How so? I felt like he was the most generic, motivationless Dark Wizard I've seen in a long time.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How did lobstrosities look?

Uh Roland got attacked by some sort of monster at one point but it was hard to tell what it looked like, more a reptile type thing and it wasn't on a beach. Pretty much par for the course

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

It's insane how bad this movie was. It felt like a 13 episode TV series, but every episode was only seven minutes long. There is absolutely nothing to like in it but a few jokes in the NYC section; the NYC section is the only good part.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I hope this film ends Idris Elba's career.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Does (book spoilers) Roland let Jake die at the end? If not I'm calling bullshit.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

readingatwork posted:

Does (book spoilers) Roland let Jake die at the end? If not I'm calling bullshit.

__________________________________no

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

This was basically The Talisman with Roland from book 3 in it. What the gently caress.

In the early 2000s there were a bunch of attempts to do a big adaptation of The Talisman that never happened that IIRC Ron Howard was also involved in, and he was first talking about this Dark Tower adaptation in like 2012, but I was surprised The Talisman itself never got adapted to film since it's a good book, has Stephen King craziness, and is about a kid getting sucked into one of many possible other versions of the world while on a magical quest to save his mom. Like there's your huge franchise starting movie.

The Gunslinger would have made for a pretty straight great adaptation too. I still wish we lived in the timeline where we got lightning in a bottle mix of a director and Kurt Russell in the late 80s for this.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

readingatwork posted:

No, Roland never has to make a single difficult choice and Jake is The Chosen One.

• Locked thread