Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
B

Yeah I don't really see us coming back from that mess. The mad sultan and his loyalists have forever destroyed the dream of a united and powerful Al-Andalus. Come Vicky I doubt we'll even rate secondary power if this keeps up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
A, a military dictatorship is truly the way to go.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Yeah. We are a 17-th century nation on the brink of industrialization that just had a civil war between its legislature and its would-be absolute monarch. No one bounces back from that.

Come on, people! We're Muslim Britain. We've got a real good shot.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
We're not an island that can be easily defended by a humongous navy, which i think is a very important part of being Britain in the modern era.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Also, our very few colonies are utterly indefensible. How many times have they been occupied now?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Honestly people after all this is over we should ally the Celts. Bear with me here:
- We really have almost nothing against them. Yes, they just took some land from us, but it was not really important land in the grand scheme of things. Let's just ackowledge it's theirs now.
- They certainly have interests against our two main rivals: Against France, who holds land in their isles and challenges them in Colombia; and against Morocco, definitely, in Argentina.

Let's be friends with them and build a great anti-french/morocco alliance. The only problem is if they view us as a rival at the moment, but V2 is coming anyway.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Alright, I did some soul searching and I'm a fickle bastard, but changing again to B. We need to start practicing some realpolitik, cause there's anti-steamroller games and then there's games where we just get straight up hosed.

With that in mind I also advocate reaching out to the Celts or at the very least the Vakhtanis.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Updated tally:

A - We Refuse Him - 7 - ThatBasqueGuy, Crazycryodude, Agean90, Raserys, Weebus, Mountaineer, Sinner Sandwich.

B - We Accept Him - 17 - Talas, Lord Cyrahzax, TyrsHTML, devildragon777, RZApublican, Frionnel, Crazycryodude, unwantedplatypus, Yvonmukluk, Captain Oblivious, WilliamAnderson, GunnerJ, Mountaineer, Soup du Jour, Hitlers Gay Secret, Grizzwold, Erwin the German.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Erwin the German posted:

Alright, I did some soul searching and I'm a fickle bastard, but changing again to B. We need to start practicing some realpolitik, cause there's anti-steamroller games and then there's games where we just get straight up hosed.

With that in mind I also advocate reaching out to the Celts or at the very least the Vakhtanis.

The Vahktanis hate us and are going through their own deluge at the moment. Maybe Provence will take us back now that Utman is gone?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Aw jeez. While I get that this should be a huge crisis, I still feel like Hashim might have cranked up the intensity of those rebellions a bit much.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah we're gonna be feeling the aftershocks of that well into the 1800's, unless the Celts, French, and Moroccans all have a similar calamity befall them.

Which is very possible, the Age of Revolutions is yet to come, but we really got hosed.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The Vahktanis hate us and are going through their own deluge at the moment. Maybe Provence will take us back now that Utman is gone?

I'm thinking long term we'd probably benefit from cultivating an alliance with them - might help us project beyond our immediate reach when Vicky rolls around.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Sup bros. You may not know me, but you know my dad, The Dalai Ullama. Well, it turns out he was burn at the stake by some Portuguese and is now a Llama Kebab (quite delicious by the way). I, The Son of the Dalai Ullama, am a bit more worldly, and unbeknownst to my father, a practicing Shi'ite. I say B. Lets bring ourselves together, form a love circle, and grow into better society for everyone.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:allears:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Wait, France owns Peru, so how are we supposed to trust any llama?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah we're gonna be feeling the aftershocks of that well into the 1800's, unless the Celts, French, and Moroccans all have a similar calamity befall them.

Which is very possible, the Age of Revolutions is yet to come, but we really got hosed.

Yeah, doing some quick math I count about half a million battlefield casualties from all sides of the civil war (assuming that most rebels are dead), which is goddamn staggering for 17th century warfare. Like, I don't think that the entire Thirty Years War managed to reach that number even if we count all military casualties. Assuming a somewhat typical ratio between military and civilian casualties Iberia should be a goddamn depopulated wasteland by now.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 3, 2017

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

B. Peace in our time!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

A

no peace, eternal war

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
This is a good update.

Unfortunately hashim can't army too well and lost a bunch of battles and manpower due to getting outflanked. The colonial army in particular needed a lot more infantry/cavalry than artillery.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Aw jeez. While I get that this should be a huge crisis, I still feel like Hashim might have cranked up the intensity of those rebellions a bit much.

My main issue is that there weren't any events where anything good happened it was just "so hey more nobles decided to throw their troops into this rediculous meat grinder of a civil war which they have apparently been watching for years while somehow not getting involved at all previously" which sort of stopped being believable after the 2nd or 3rd time it happened.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

RabidWeasel posted:

My main issue is that there weren't any events where anything good happened it was just "so hey more nobles decided to throw their troops into this rediculous meat grinder of a civil war which they have apparently been watching for years while somehow not getting involved at all previously" which sort of stopped being believable after the 2nd or 3rd time it happened.

I like that the Castillians and Portuguese sided with the guy that would, no doubt, force convert them.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

RabidWeasel posted:

He deliberately took the "spawn more rebels" option for several events.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

RabidWeasel posted:

Dance Officer posted:

He deliberately took the "spawn more rebels" option for several events.

These are Disaster events, so there are no good options. A lot of times the options were to have 40k rebels pop, or 30k and you lose a bunch of gold, so I usually went for whatever option my army could take. You're not going to get a bunch of events giving you gold and stability when you're in the middle of a disaster.

The main thing to keep in mind is that these are all pulse events, so they set off randomly within a set period of time, and this period was set out between years. The only reason they became too much to handle was because France and the Celts declared war, which is not something you consider when writing events for a disaster before the game even begins.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 3, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I like that the Castillians and Portuguese sided with the guy that would, no doubt, force convert them.

Only narrative-wise, and only the Castillians to boot. Portugal is a separate state now, and the same would have happened with the Castillians had they not been crushed.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Who could have predicted that the Sultan would manage to raise massive armies from among the Castilians?

HOW DOES THAT EVEN MAKE SENSE

B

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B. Make him sultan, cripple his powers. Also, oh look, all the so-called Dhimmi rose up in rebellion. So much for the Tolerant north! Allah alone should have unrestricted power. It's time to paint the religious map green and focus on our own solidarity.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

paragon1 posted:

Who could have predicted that the Sultan would manage to raise massive armies from among the Castilians?

HOW DOES THAT EVEN MAKE SENSE

That's the problem with writing events for a made up timeline. I wrote them months ago, so I just tried to fit them into the narrative when they popped.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

AJ_Impy posted:

B. Make him sultan, cripple his powers. Also, oh look, all the so-called Dhimmi rose up in rebellion. So much for the Tolerant north! Allah alone should have unrestricted power. It's time to paint the religious map green and focus on our own solidarity.

The rest of al Andalus also rebelled. It's just what happens.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Refuse him, only the line of Utman is legitimate!

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Wait, France owns Peru, so how are we supposed to trust any llama?

"Comment oses-tu me parler ainsi!"

I was originally going to spearhead the taking of Peru and getting all that juicy gold, but it never came to be. Thanks France :argh:!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Raserys posted:

:regd08:

I vote A

Yup. You idiot Merchants deserve this.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I can't wait to execute all the Loyalists, and then the Ulema once they freak out about our new Shia sultan.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Snipee posted:

Yup. You idiot Merchants deserve this.

Don't hurt yourself jumping through all those hoops chief :v:

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Soup du Jour posted:

I can't wait to execute all the Loyalists, and then the Ulema once they freak out about our new Shia sultan.

Maybe statements like these are the reason why we distrust all but Allah and his chosen Sultan.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Soup du Jour posted:

So long as all power to convert remains in Ulama hands, we can outlive one misguided puppet.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Wow uh B

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I am exhausted after all that, gently caress.

B! poo poo's hosed, hopefully he'll make things less hosed.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
We just have to make sure the Vizier doesn't marry the Sultan's daughter, and everything should be fine. He's too old anyway.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
This is a very difficult decision for me. I love absolutism and removal of all restriction on our leader's power, but I also love the Jizrunids, but do I love the Jizrunids more than I love Sunni Islam? In the end, I can't go back on my pro-Jizrunid rhetoric, so Option B for me.

It was a very thrilling read, both hoping Al-Andalus survived and that the Sultan would get his rightful throne. For what its worth, I thought the events were fine. In the regular game, you're supposed to try your hardest to prevent disasters, and if they trigger, you do get tons of terrible events like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, doing some quick math I count about half a million battlefield casualties from all sides of the civil war (assuming that most rebels are dead), which is goddamn staggering for 17th century warfare. Like, I don't think that the entire Thirty Years War managed to reach that number even if we count all military casualties. Assuming a somewhat typical ratio between military and civilian casualties Iberia should be a goddamn depopulated wasteland by now.

Ok that's even worse than I expected, but yep you're right. For anyone not familiar, the Thirty Years' War was downright apocalyptic (go ask HEY GAL in the MilHist thread sometime, she loves all the gory details) and spread out over, well, thirty or so years. We just rode out worse, in less than a third the time. Iberia should be horrifically devastated, moreso than ever before. Like, worse than the Black Death and then some. By an order of magnitude.

I'm sure we can handwave that away because EUIV's armies do tend to balloon ahistorically large and pretend it wasn't as bad as the numbers suggest, but god drat this is the kind of thing that affects demographics for centuries.