Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I've always liked The Tear Garden but The Secret Experiment and Have A Nice Trip never did that much for me. They felt a bit too much like jam sessions and I like it more when they are more song focused. And I'm happy to report that their new album, The Brown Acid Caveat, is amazing. Especially Strange Land feels like vintage Tear Garden. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hedenius posted:

I've always liked The Tear Garden but The Secret Experiment and Have A Nice Trip never did that much for me. They felt a bit too much like jam sessions and I like it more when they are more song focused. And I'm happy to report that their new album, The Brown Acid Caveat, is amazing. Especially Strange Land feels like vintage Tear Garden. Good stuff.
Oooo! Vintage as in Last Man to Fly? That's probably one of my all-time favorite albums.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

david_a posted:

Oooo! Vintage as in Last Man to Fly? That's probably one of my all-time favorite albums.

Strange Land specifically feels more like something that could have been on Crystal Mass but there are tracks that would not have been out of place on Last Man to Fly. It's up on Spotify so give it a listen.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

chime_on posted:

What time has PIG been taking the stage on this tour?

The show in my town has doors at 7:00, show at 7:30, but then there are 4 loving opening bands.
Doors were at 7, show at 8 and PIG came on at 9.

Two opening bands. Julien K and Ghostfeeder. I missed both and walked in just when PIG took the stage. Cut it a bit close.

PIG was great. Actually better than the run last year. Much less from The Gospel. I love that record, but we got the three songs from the new EP instead. I'll take it. Also they played this and it was totally killer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziSQZZ_X_Wo

Projected in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4DzP39C0C0

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 25, 2017

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Hedenius posted:

Strange Land specifically feels more like something that could have been on Crystal Mass but there are tracks that would not have been out of place on Last Man to Fly. It's up on Spotify so give it a listen.

Can confirm the new Tear Garden is dope as hell

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hedenius posted:

I can see (hear?) what you mean about Strange Land, it sounds reminiscent of the first half of Crystal Mass. I feel like I need to give that album some attention again since I have a fairly negative view of it for some reason. Some of those later tracks really soured me on it.

Don't have Spotify so I'll just keep poking around YouTube...

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

david_a posted:

I can see (hear?) what you mean about Strange Land, it sounds reminiscent of the first half of Crystal Mass. I feel like I need to give that album some attention again since I have a fairly negative view of it for some reason. Some of those later tracks really soured me on it.

Don't have Spotify so I'll just keep poking around YouTube...
I was thinking mostly of Seven Veils as a song that could've been on Last Man to Fly.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

teethgrinder posted:

What bands are opening?

Julien-K and Ghostfeeder, as per the whole tour, but my local show has a couple local openers as well: Roseclouds and Tescon Pol.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Doors were at 7, show at 8 and PIG came on at 9.

Two opening bands. Julien K and Ghostfeeder. I missed both and walked in just when PIG took the stage. Cut it a bit close.

Crazy that two openers were on and off in 60 minutes...! I was kind of banking on PIG starting around 10. I'm taking an evening class right now, and the earliest I can make it to the venue would be like 9:50 if traffic is perfect.

How long was PIG's set?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5iIbLmO8Sk

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Pig started at around 10:30 in Tampa. And both Ghostfeeder and Julien-K put on some really good shows, I don't know why you'd want to miss them.

Ray's definitely on top form as well, this show was much better than last year's, and that was already way better than I was expecting from him at this point in his career.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

chime_on posted:

Crazy that two openers were on and off in 60 minutes...! I was kind of banking on PIG starting around 10. I'm taking an evening class right now, and the earliest I can make it to the venue would be like 9:50 if traffic is perfect.

How long was PIG's set?
It might've been closer to 9:30. My sense of time is scrambled. I was also an hour drive's away. Yeah.
Nice.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Reminder that Kanga's remix of Pig's Diamond Sinners is sick as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxD0jXzrqbc

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Seeming has released a collaboration with Merzbow.

It didn't really seem very Merzbow-y, then I got to 8:15 and daaaaamn

http://www.self-titledmag.com/2017/07/28/premiere-seeming-merzbow-collaboration/

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
New Boy Harsher single! The video is okay (some cool, gritty, New York at night vibes, but it doesn't really go anywhere), but the song is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeSN4PntOos

"Motion" is the first track on their new EP Country Girl, which comes out October 13. It looks like the they also have a few new tour dates in October and November.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Seeming has released a collaboration with Merzbow.

It didn't really seem very Merzbow-y, then I got to 8:15 and daaaaamn

http://www.self-titledmag.com/2017/07/28/premiere-seeming-merzbow-collaboration/

This track is :krad:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

I love the way that the pre-Merzbow section has this whole vibe that (to me) totally captures what Covenant try but never quite manage to do with their more chill songs.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Came across Ned's Atomic Dustbin performing an awesome set on the Jon Stewart Show in 1995. When I looked it up, apparently PWEI was on it too. Anyone ever come across a clip of that? Doesn't seem to be on YouTube sadly.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
PIG show was pretty awesome, I have to say. I haven't been to any kind of industrial rock show in a long time, and they definitely brought it. I preferred the version of "Juke Joint Jezebel" they played to the KMFDM version-- it had a Sisters of Mercy vibe that I never really picked up on before.

I got there in time to see maybe 20 minutes of Julien-K, who were... not good. Totally generic rock with synths, and a lot of embarrassing wanna-be Dave Gahan posing and preening from the singer. Pass on that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Has anybody seen this Lord of the Lost band that's playing with KMFDM and Ohgr in October?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't but I'm pretty bleh about that tour.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I haven't but I'm pretty bleh about that tour.

I feel like a KMFDM tour only comes around because Lucia or Sascha ran up some credit card debt and need to pay the bills :/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm also not crazed about Ohgr's solo stuff. Welt was good. I dunno somebody convince me otherwise about the rest.

Anyways yeah this recent PIG activity has turned me into a PIG cultist. I've never been to a show where so many people wore the band's gear at the show.

Pig pig pig pig pig. PIG!!!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I'm also not crazed about Ohgr's solo stuff. Welt was good. I dunno somebody convince me otherwise about the rest.

Sunnypsyop is great, even if you don't necessarily like the single "Majik." "JaKO" and "Watergate" are worth checking out, and if you don't like those, you probably won't like the rest of the album.

I think Devils in My Details is the most Skinny Puppy album released since Last Rights, moreso than any of the post-2000 Skinny Puppy output. I love Devils In My Details a lot, and can only advise you to listen to track 1, then track 2 back-to-back ("Shhh" and "Eyecandy") and if that doesn't intrigue you enough to listen to the rest of the album, then I don't know what to tell you.

Underdeveloped is poop. "Bellew" is interesting as an honest-to-god heartfelt Ohgr ballad. Other than that, the best song is "colidoskope" which is technically a "hidden track" but yeah, I hated this album. The opening songs are like bad arena rock.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I"m catching a full on italo disco set from William Bennett (Whitehouse). It is unlikely yet awesome!

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
So loving excited to see PIG this weekend. SO EXCITED

I hope they still have some of the black-on-black logo tees for sale. Do they take cash/card at the merch table?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LabyaMynora posted:

Sunnypsyop is great, even if you don't necessarily like the single "Majik." "JaKO" and "Watergate" are worth checking out, and if you don't like those, you probably won't like the rest of the album.

I think Devils in My Details is the most Skinny Puppy album released since Last Rights, moreso than any of the post-2000 Skinny Puppy output. I love Devils In My Details a lot, and can only advise you to listen to track 1, then track 2 back-to-back ("Shhh" and "Eyecandy") and if that doesn't intrigue you enough to listen to the rest of the album, then I don't know what to tell you.

Underdeveloped is poop. "Bellew" is interesting as an honest-to-god heartfelt Ohgr ballad. Other than that, the best song is "colidoskope" which is technically a "hidden track" but yeah, I hated this album. The opening songs are like bad arena rock.
Going back and listening. Y'know I think I'm with you on Devil In My Details and Sunnypsyop, which picks up for me with ChemTale. WaTergaTe might be the highlight. I like his bizarro glitchy hip-hop stuff. On DIMD, the songs Whitevan and Timebomb are like... industrial show tunes? It's different and good.

Whispering Machines posted:

So loving excited to see PIG this weekend. SO EXCITED

I hope they still have some of the black-on-black logo tees for sale. Do they take cash/card at the merch table?
Cash for sure.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I"m catching a full on italo disco set from William Bennett (Whitehouse). It is unlikely yet awesome!

He's like a serious italo head it rules

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The Seeming album is out and it's really good!

it's probably not "industrial" as such, but it's definitely "post-industrial". Song-oriented indie pop rock with lots of attention to the sounds. Definitely compatible.

There's a bonus EP which is the second CD in the physical edition.

Seeming's #1 fan Phil Sandifer did a track by track, and here's a long podcast interview.

And my writeup after Phil nagged me enough, with all the videos and a cute cat picture.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

why is merzbow just hanging out there at the end of one song. that's silly

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
To me, DIMD was the only Ohgr album that kinda let me down a bit. They were always glossy over-produced cartoony sounding mixes, and Devils just kinda tried something I don't think worked. I dig the dark melodies and jam-like approach, but I remember someone complaining that it sounds like it was mixed in 30 minutes using iPod earbuds - I can't disagree. Obviously was done on purpose but I can't understand why, nor have Mark Walk and Ogre shed much light on the concept they were even going for. I liked Undeveloped more myself as it not only returned to form but had a Sunnypsyop feel at moments. I'll concede that the first couple songs sounded too stadium-athemy-y.

The new Seeming is really great. Nothing I can say that hasn't already been written about by the reviewers/blogs.

Just got new 3Teeth, NIN, Tear Garden. Upcoming Encephalon, Legend, Comaduster, iVadensphere... alot of good albums still to come this fall.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man I want that new Encephalon.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh look what you made me do. You made me re-listen to Psychogenesis again for the 1000x time.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The new Seeming is a bonafide masterpiece, but I think it doesn't quite reach the level of Madness & Extinction. Still a hell of an album, but something is missing. Maybe I need to listen to it more, only had time to give it two full listen-throughs.

A human heart posted:

It's actually good as gently caress

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Also The Cleaner your new album is hella loving good

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The Cleaner posted:

To me, DIMD was the only Ohgr album that kinda let me down a bit. They were always glossy over-produced cartoony sounding mixes, and Devils just kinda tried something I don't think worked. I dig the dark melodies and jam-like approach, but I remember someone complaining that it sounds like it was mixed in 30 minutes using iPod earbuds - I can't disagree. Obviously was done on purpose but I can't understand why, nor have Mark Walk and Ogre shed much light on the concept they were even going for.

The only song that I noticed sounding like it's "badly" mixed is the opening track "Shhh," which I feel like had the highend cut off of it so that when "Eye Candy" starts it has a more dramatic effect/impact. I think it was a cool trick, but a bit of a gimmick, and I can understand someone hearing that song and going "ugh... this album is badly mixed!" But I don't think it actually extends to the whole album.

I just feel like the whole album has that classic, grimey, chaotic Skinny Puppy feel to it, whereas the New Skinny Puppy is more of a digital glitchy thing, which I used to love. But sometime after Weapon came out I just turned cold on that whole sterile, glitch-heavy sound.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

A human heart posted:

Alex Reed talked about it in an interview on the I Die You Die podcast, and his concept is having a virtuoso trumpet player appear as a guest solo on a jazz record, only it's a virtuoso noise artist making an appearance instead. Not sure if it works or not, but I'm not really a Seeming fan.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Good to know, thank you! I'll stop by an ATM first.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

LabyaMynora posted:

Alex Reed talked about it in an interview on the I Die You Die podcast, and his concept is having a virtuoso trumpet player appear as a guest solo on a jazz record, only it's a virtuoso noise artist making an appearance instead. Not sure if it works or not, but I'm not really a Seeming fan.

The merz rules but i don't really see much point in just having him do a short blast of average noise at the end of a song. it's not even integrated with the rest of the music

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

A human heart posted:

The merz rules but i don't really see much point in just having him do a short blast of average noise at the end of a song. it's not even integrated with the rest of the music

You should definitely apply for a full refund on your excellent opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

extradite THIS! posted:

It's actually good as gently caress

divabot posted:

You should definitely apply for a full refund on your excellent opinions.

Did you know you can actually listen to Merzbow records?