Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The last thing we need is Keanu ditching and dissuading Carruth. Dude gave up on A Topiary after years, let's not hope that the boat rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Was Book of Henry bad? Still haven't seen it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

UmOk posted:

Was Book of Henry bad? Still haven't seen it

It has 23% on Rotten Tomatoes. The general consensus is that the movie was completely insane, has massive tonal shift issues, and probably shouldn't have been greenlit, like, as a concept.

I also, however, haven't seen it, so I'm going off of critics and other posters here.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ingmar terdman posted:

Get David Lynch

*Kylo Ren sings atonally for 5 minutes straight*

Rey: If you can't see it, I can't tell you about it.

*Finn eats spaghetti out of a briefcase with his hands*

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

thrawn527 posted:

It has 23% on Rotten Tomatoes. The general consensus is that the movie was completely insane, has massive tonal shift issues, and probably shouldn't have been greenlit, like, as a concept.

I also, however, haven't seen it, so I'm going off of critics and other posters here.
Geez, I just read the synopsis on Wikipedia.
What the gently caress? :gonk:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

JazzFlight posted:

Geez, I just read the synopsis on Wikipedia.
What the gently caress? :gonk:

Watch the trailer. The shift from "standard indy movie about a smark, quirky kid" to "This is how/why we need to murder the neighbor, see the mom with a gun?"is quite something.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Watch the trailer. The shift from "standard indy movie about a smark, quirky kid" to "This is how/why we need to murder the neighbor, see the mom with a gun?"is quite something.

Posts like this make it sound awesome. Was there a thread for it? I didn't see one

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the 'random' button on wookiepedia is the best way to get album titles for your cloud rap posse

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ron Howard clarifies an important detail about the Han Solo movie.

https://twitter.com/RealRonHoward/status/892750204885184514

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Were"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Remember, these titties happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The MSJ posted:

2017 redeemed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

And I don't think they went with the safe choice for 8. Biggest movie he's made is Looper and some of the best (including one of the most controversial) episodes of Breaking Bad. He's a fun choice, and I don't think a safe one. I'm super looking forward to 8, but rather worried about 9.

Rian Johnson has always seemed like a weird choice to me. He's an excellent director but honestly, his writing is pretty stiff and he loves high-concept stuff that never really pays off or sticks the landing.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Timby posted:

Rian Johnson has always seemed like a weird choice to me. He's an excellent director but honestly, his writing is pretty stiff and he loves high-concept stuff that never really pays off or sticks the landing.

I thought Looper stuck the landing the pretty well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

UmOk posted:

Posts like this make it sound awesome. Was there a thread for it? I didn't see one

The Book of Henry is bad, but it's amiably bad. The performances are generally fine and it's competently made, it's just that taken at face value it's tremendously confused and misguided, the tone is insane, and the kid at the center of it (I think unintentionally) is tremendously unlikable despite everyone around him basically regarding him as a saint. However, it gnawed on me a couple of days after seeing it, and I eventually settled on it having a pretty interesting point to make, just made in a bizarre fashion.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 3, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bizarre is good, I think.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Unironically the best news I have read about the film

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Bizarre is good, I think.

Also Sarah Silverman plays a friend of the mom and there's a weird sexual tension between her and the kid, which is kind of different.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

homullus posted:

Unironically the best news I have read about the film

I heard Ehrenreich was having trouble but a recast this late in the game is shocking. In the end though I trust Ron Howard and Kathleen Kennedy.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

General Dog posted:

The Book of Henry is bad, but it's amiably bad. The performances are generally fine and it's competently made, it's just that taken at face value it's tremendously confused and misguided, the tone is insane, and the kid at the center of it (I think unintentionally) is tremendously unlikable despite everyone around him basically regarding him as a saint. However, it gnawed on me a couple of days after seeing it, and I eventually settled on it having a pretty interesting point to make, just made in a bizarre fashion.

Book of Henry should have gotten ‎Colin Trevorrow fired from directing Star Wars.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

General Dog posted:

That "gnawing" is what is good about movies. It means they made you think or something.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

General Dog posted:

Also Sarah Silverman plays a friend of the mom and there's a weird sexual tension between her and the kid, which is kind of different.

I can understand someone having sexual tension with Sarah Silverman.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

So it's just like episode 1 then?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Book of Henry had the potential to be a I Know Who Killed Me-caliber must watch but it's JUST competently made enough to be a bad movie instead of a legendarily bad movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

UmOk posted:

That "gnawing" is what is good about movies. It means they made you think or something.

I meant it as a positive thing. I still wouldn't go so far as to call it a good movie, though.

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

like, you know none of us who like the prequels are being paid to do it right?

trying to get me to stop making fun of you by underlining how sad you are is a strange strategy i dont think is going to work

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
like the hypothetical man who was so excited to get a job at disney or lucasfilm only to find out that his job is defending the prequels from a cubicle all day in an attempt to repair their shattered brand. that man is sad. but the man who does that for free, because he wants to. that is sad the way a war is sad, sadness mixed with insanity, becoming horror. really if anyone here is the hero it's me for facing it

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/775051626545504256

Someone recently linked me this tweet tree by Pablo Higalo. For those who don't wish to click it, he explains that the midichlorian requirement to be a Jedi was done from a narrative perspective to establish the Jedi had lost their way and become more order than Jedi. He goes on to explain that everyone use the force in Star Wars to their own degree. This seems to apply that anyone could become proficient in the force in their own way, from a certain point of view. This sort of pushes things back to how they were viewed during the original trilogies run. Furthermore, he goes on to say that there was more to the force than midichlorians.

What do you all think of this? For those unaware, Pablo Higalo is the one in charge of the status in Star Wars Canon.

Corporate employee engages in unsubstantiated retcon of series' most loathed elements using standard technique of "no they were bad on purpose" coupled with evidence that in the tabletop roleplaying game everybody got "force points" lmao

Razputeen fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 4, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe Geonosis should have taken pointers from the Tezzor cloning facility.

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The films show that the Jedi had become more Science than spirituality, said the man literally drawing a paycheck to make Lucasfilm properties look good, while ignoring that the sole error of the magic monks was trusting a prophecy over their own better judgment

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
horror movie pitch

guy's car breaks down outside of old house during a snowstorm. Old Man says the guy can stay but not to open a locked door or a monster will come out and kill everyone. the guy decides there's gold in the room and opens the door and a monster comes out and kills everyone. on the commentary track i will constantly affirm that the old man is right and all the actors will agree. this is a trick. the point is the old man was wrong because he should not have let the man come in and what's with his "keep the door locked policy" anyway. you know who else keeps doors locked to keep things in? that's right. Child Abductors.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Razputeen posted:

Corporate employee engages in unsubstantiated retcon of series' most loathed elements using standard technique of "no they were bad on purpose" coupled with evidence that in the tabletop roleplaying game everybody got "force points" lmao

It matches the Decipher CCG Canon which assigns everyone force ability levels, which afaik is the highest tier Canon, so I'll allow it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Razputeen posted:

The films show that the Jedi had become more Science than spirituality, said the man literally drawing a paycheck to make Lucasfilm properties look good, while ignoring that the sole error of the magic monks was trusting a prophecy over their own better judgment

Maybe you should read the thread?

Also: Thou art Tezzor.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/lovegwendoline/status/893333040172290048

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

shoulda left her character trash compacted imo

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

shoulda left her character trash compacted imo

Characters in Star Wars have a knack for escaping trash compactors. At least Luke does. And Han and Leia. Chewbacca. Luke was flushed down a toilet at one point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Left is the director right ? Who are the two women to the right of him.

I see Christie and Kennedy as well.

Our right and left not theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

euphronius posted:

Left is the director right ? Who are the two women to the right of him.

I see Christie and Kennedy as well.

Our right and left not theirs.

Daisy Ridley is one of them. I think she might have a big part in the new movie. And Kennedy is actually Dern.

• Locked thread