Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Watching the actors crack up is always fun for me in older sitcoms, too. Like the episode of Friends where Ross is playing the bagpipes and Jennifer Aniston just can't keep a straight face any more when Phoebe starts 'singing' along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey if you don't expect ST:D to be a shitshow check this out http://www.geekexchange.com/news/breaking-nicholas-meyer-working-on-khan-limited-series/

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
^^^^^^oh my god why does everyone have such huge nerdboners for Khan

There was a great moment in one of the last few episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine where the actor that plays Scully flips a cookie off of his nose and into his mouth; immediately after he does it, he has a very proud (and completely out of character) smirk on his face.

I love it when little bits of the actors' real selves sneak out.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Does anyone who hasn't drank the kool aid at CBS really not expect it to be the hottest of garbage?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Older sitcoms like Taxi were blocked and acted out just like stage plays and you can really tell, and imo it enhances the experience to see them react to the audience reacting to them. Same with Seinfeld or Cheers.

It's hard to do well and most shows probably shouldn't bother trying, plus it's a holdover from when most actors had theater/improv/stand-up experience instead of YouTube experience or whatever.

Don't forget Frasier, the absolute master of dis poo poo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

esperterra posted:

Watching the actors crack up is always fun for me in older sitcoms, too. Like the episode of Friends where Ross is playing the bagpipes and Jennifer Aniston just can't keep a straight face any more when Phoebe starts 'singing' along.

Rowan Atkinson at 1.15 in this clip.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

IRQ posted:

Does anyone who hasn't drank the kool aid at CBS really not expect it to be the hottest of garbage?

Friend, let me tell you about the hottest new streaming platform called CBS All-Access.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
it's only prayer is if it's available as an ad-on subscription for Amazon Prime for like 4 bucks a month. If that's not the case, it's loving stillborn.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CBS seems like the least likely network to have a successful streaming service given their audience and catalog. Their demo numbers are so bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

CBS seems like the least likely network to have a successful streaming service given their audience and catalog. Their demo numbers are so bad.

Was it JAG that got something like 15-20 million viewers but less then a 1.0 in the 18-49 demo?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CBS All Access seems entirely dependent on its reality TV. They don't even have full catalogues for their big shows like Big Bang Theory or Criminal Minds. Its a super bad service.

I assume they just think the Star Trek crowd might be invested enough to buy in the same way the Big Brother crowd is. Their entire marketing strategy seems to be that instead of building a worthwhile service they just want to appeal to one niche audience at a time. Which seems very dumb.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Is Power any good? I have a starz sub for American Gods and the now dead Black Sails, but I could get more use out of it.

My coworker says the last season was the best of them all, idk. Never watched it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pentyne posted:

Was it JAG that got something like 15-20 million viewers but less then a 1.0 in the 18-49 demo?

Almost all their stuff kills the total viewer numbers but posts sub 1.0 in the demo.

I mean, there's a reason they can say poo poo like "Bull is the most watched drama of the year!" and you not know literally a single person that watches it.

I could be wrong, my folks have jumped feet first into being cord cutters and love it, but my suspicion is that most old people would rather watch TV the same way they've been doing it for 40 years and aren't going to be very happy when NCIS starts buffering every 30 seconds because the CBS platform is still working out kinks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My parents are one of those. They have every cable channel under the sun and don't give any shits about streaming. That's why I use their account for HBO Go, Cinemax, Showtime, etc on my Roku.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been trying to get my mother on board with cord cutting so I can cut her costs, but she won't do it in part because the idea of changing the way she watches TV really freaks her out but also because I can't find a way to get the Hallmark Channel without cable.

My research into this seems to suggest that the Hallmark Channel is specifically refusing to get on board with the streaming revolution because they know their entire audience are old people like my mother who are scared of cord cutting and will pay a premium for their lovely, SD channel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My mom called me to ask about cord cutting literally the day that DirecTV Now launched with a $30 month promotional price and I was like, you should try this thing. They were able to drop their cable bill by like $200 a month and I don't think they've ever had an issue where they couldn't watch something they wanted to. They pair that with a digital antenna for local stations, Amazon and Netflix and they're just fine..

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

CBS All Access seems entirely dependent on its reality TV. They don't even have full catalogues for their big shows like Big Bang Theory or Criminal Minds. Its a super bad service.

I subbed to it this last season of Survivor to livewatch with friends since I have no other practical way to get CBS outside of actually paying for cable. The quality was middling, the interface was absolute dogshit, and it was behind my friend's broadcast feed by a good couple minutes.

I still just filezed colbert even though I was subbed for that 2 months just because it was an easier experience.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
One reason the MASH DVDs are the best is the option to remove the laugh track

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd watch Dexter again if they would include a laugh track.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My biggest :wtf: was when watching the Sports Night dvd commentaries and finding out that it was filmed in front of an audience and the laugh track is real people laughing. No idea how they did that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Will and Grace comeback show just got renewed for season 2. Also adding 4 more episodes to season 1.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

It's a bit like how The Beverley Hillbillies and Green Acres were top-rated shows right to the end but they were all cancelled because they were only popular with old people.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GreenNight posted:

The Will and Grace comeback show just got renewed for season 2. Also adding 4 more episodes to season 1.

poo poo, did it start already?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Nope.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Okay, good. I was worried I missed it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

Older sitcoms like Taxi were blocked and acted out just like stage plays and you can really tell, and imo it enhances the experience to see them react to the audience reacting to them. Same with Seinfeld or Cheers.

It's hard to do well and most shows probably shouldn't bother trying, plus it's a holdover from when most actors had theater/improv/stand-up experience instead of YouTube experience or whatever.

Yeah there are plenty of sitcoms where I do think the audience does actually really fit with the show. Most of them are older sitcoms like a Taxi, Cheers, Seinfeld, -redacted-, Frasier, Fresh Prince, Roseanne, etc. And most of them feature actors that can really milk the reactions from a live crowd. You rarely see sitcoms with audience laughter like that today.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Don't forget Frasier, the absolute master of dis poo poo

"By the way, I've met David Hyde Pierce, and he's fantastic"

e: talking of TV shows filmed as stage plays, I still need to finish Horace and Pete but goddamn it can be hard to watch

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think timing is an issue too. The continual erosion of the half hour timeslot means runtimes and shorter than ever and no one has time to cheer for Kramer's entrance anymore.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

I subbed to it this last season of Survivor to livewatch with friends since I have no other practical way to get CBS outside of actually paying for cable. The quality was middling, the interface was absolute dogshit, and it was behind my friend's broadcast feed by a good couple minutes.

I still just filezed colbert even though I was subbed for that 2 months just because it was an easier experience.

I don't know about your area, but where I live CBS is available on PlayStation Vue.

Although I decided to give Sling another try since they offered me another trial week begging me to come back, and boy have they improved their interface. Starting up in 2-3 seconds instead of Vue's 30-60 with crashing immediately 50% of the time is refreshing too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

"By the way, I've met David Hyde Pierce, and he's fantastic"

e: talking of TV shows filmed as stage plays, I still need to finish Horace and Pete but goddamn it can be hard to watch

DO IT DO IT still one of the absolute best shows of this decade so far

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Amazon has announced that Prime subscribers can now enjoy their own batch of old ‘80s and ‘90s sitcoms. As reported by Variety, the shows are Roseanne, 3rd Rock From The Sun, A Different World, Grace Under Fire, Cybill, and Grounded For Life, with the complete run of each show being dropped throughout August.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Amazon has announced that Prime subscribers can now enjoy their own batch of old ‘80s and ‘90s sitcoms. As reported by Variety, the shows are Roseanne, 3rd Rock From The Sun, A Different World, Grace Under Fire, Cybill, and Grounded For Life, with the complete run of each show being dropped throughout August.

Apparently the version of Roseanne on prime is the same as syndicated, with parts cut to fit a normal tv commercial schedule, and cropped into widescreen from the original framing. Still watchable though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Wow, gently caress that. I can't imagine enough people will throw a fit about it where Amazon will fix it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I've had The Dick Van Dyke Show on in the background for the last three days so referring to anything in color as an older sitcom is kinda throwing me, but it's certainly put this laugh track discussion into perspective.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dark-tower-tv-series-sets-walking-dead-grad-as-showrunner-1026382

Glen Mazzara of The Shield and The Walking Dead fame is going to be running the Dark Tower TV series. Idris Elba from the Dark Tower movie is going to show up as the same character. You'd think after the savage reviews they'd put the show on hold.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm not going to make a thread for this season because the last two didn't get much activity, but the third season of Difficult People starts on Hulu starting on August 8. It's really funny, Julie Klausner and Billy Eichner are peaches, and there will probably be excellent guests this season. Maybe this time, the trans truther will have more lines than ones where she makes a joke about her gender identity or a 9/11 conspiracy theory (she's the only bad part, I swear!). Please watch it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Difficult People is amazing. James Urbaniak's quiet and calm misery is another highlight of the show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I decided to watch random Frasier and holy poo poo the episode where Diane shows her play to Frasier is so money

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

precision posted:

Difficult People is amazing. James Urbaniak's quiet and calm misery is another highlight of the show
His character has the patience of a saint to put up with Julie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That show has a crazy number of really inside NPR/PBS jokes that you'd really have to be familiar with public media to get. But that show kind of trades in extremely esoteric references.

• Locked thread