Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

Yeah, you can still go tour it. It's pretty cool.

BTW, congress is moving to limit Trump's power to fire Mueller without cause:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...omepage%2Fstory

Came to post this, I'm pretty sure the Senate sees Mueller as the only way to get rid of Trump without getting blasted in their local elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Mueller suits up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yALUZFpxKxA

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Senate has now adjourned until early September, with pro forma sessions active until then to prevent recess appointments (the usual).

That means a month of town halls, Donnie sucking up all the DC stories, and a mad rush to fund the government, raise the debt ceiling, and figure out what to do about Obamacare by October 1st. The House is only in session for 15 out of those days.

:dance: WHO IS READY FOR ANOTHER GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN???? :dance:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

The Senate has now adjourned until early September, with pro forma sessions active until then to prevent recess appointments (the usual).

That means a month of town halls, Donnie sucking up all the DC stories, and a mad rush to fund the government, raise the debt ceiling, and figure out what to do about Obamacare by October 1st. The House is only in session for 15 out of those days.

:dance: WHO IS READY FOR ANOTHER GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN???? :dance:

How does a shutdown affect VA benefits? Maybe I should put off buying a car for a few months to make sure I can make rent through the end of the year.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

White shirt?

Checks out...

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So Obamacare is saved till at least mid october?

Eight months with president, house, and senate and republicans fail to accomplish the one thing they stumped on for like... what eight years?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

TBeats posted:

How does a shutdown affect VA benefits? Maybe I should put off buying a car for a few months to make sure I can make rent through the end of the year.

VA funds a year out. You're fine unless it lasts longer than that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

VA funds a year out. You're fine unless it lasts longer than that.

What's the longest the government has ever been shut down? I could see a shutdown with this administration going on for a hilarious-and-then-tragic long time.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

KildarX posted:

So Obamacare is saved till at least mid october?

Eight months with president, house, and senate and republicans fail to accomplish the one thing they stumped on for like... what eight years?

Obamacare is good till next year. They can't try reconciliation again.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

TBeats posted:

What's the longest the government has ever been shut down? I could see a shutdown with this administration going on for a hilarious-and-then-tragic long time.

Three weeks-ish under Clinton, I think.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

cowboy elvis posted:

Technically they still could. The measure McCain torpedoed was an amendment to the reconciliation bill. They could put up another measure that could repeal obamacare as another amendment.

The issue is the senate rejected four different versions of repeal. The skinny bill was about as minor a "repeal" as you could get and still call it a repeal and it still failed. That's where the issue is. No one sees anything that could pass a 50 vote threshold in the Senate, at this time.

But the reconciliation bill itself is still alive and could be passed as soon as the Senate would vote on a agreed upon amendment.

Edit: here's an explainer: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/1/16069414/obamacare-repeal-reconciliation-tax-reform

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 4, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

cowboy elvis posted:

And it's arguable that unless things really swing against the Dems, the GOP likely won't touch it because they have midterms to contend with.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Three weeks-ish under Clinton, I think.

We should start a betting pool on when the government will be operational again if there is indeed a shutdown. With some type of stupid prize for the winner.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Way to go U.K.!!

http://www.wkbw.com/news/national/child-sized-sex-dolls-for-pedophiles-uk-therapist-suggests-them-as-treatment

"Dozens of sex dolls designed to look like children have been seized by police across the United Kingdom in the past year. One therapist suggests they can be an effective treatment for people who have urges to molest kids."

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Jared Kushner's family business has been subpoenaed over their Investment for Visa program.

That is isn't "their" program. It is run by the State Department. They just told people about it.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

TBeats posted:

Way to go U.K.!!

http://www.wkbw.com/news/national/child-sized-sex-dolls-for-pedophiles-uk-therapist-suggests-them-as-treatment

"Dozens of sex dolls designed to look like children have been seized by police across the United Kingdom in the past year. One therapist suggests they can be an effective treatment for people who have urges to molest kids."

It's not a child sex doll, she has Benjamin Buttons disease

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lmao all of you thinking your benefits are fine because they're including in the budget. The debt ceiling will reach a hard limit about two weeks after Congress is back in session, and if they fail to raise it, the government won't have enough money to pay, even if it's budgeted for.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There's incentive not to gently caress up veteran benefits. Pissing off a population of mostly armed, retarded and crazy people won't end well for anyone.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Isn't a shutdown basically inevitable at this point? It seems like a win/win for the brain dead idiot Congress critters that are hardcore ideologues. Cutting government services, destroying its ability to regulate, "starve the beast" and "drown government in the bathtub" have become articles of faith to the cult of conservatism. There's nothing in there that those kinds of whack jobs don't want.

Yeah the party as a whole gets screwed in public opinion polling every time they do it but that doesn't really seem to matter to people gerrymandered into R+ gently caress You districts or the donors that would fund even more hardcore cultists if they don't vote for it enthusiastically.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Think of all the Facebook opinion videos they'll record while sitting in their car

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

FastestGunAlive posted:

Think of all the Facebook opinion videos they'll record while sitting in their car

Home videos with less than 5 views.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/status/892861063221329920

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

There's incentive not to gently caress up veteran benefits. Pissing off a population of mostly armed, retarded and crazy people won't end well for anyone.

Yeah just ask hillary

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
At least Hilldog got to clear her mind with a walk in the woods.

I wouldn't be surprised if a vet went ventilating craniums after their checks stop for whatever reason. Theirs or others.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

That is isn't "their" program. It is run by the State Department. They just told people about it.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/08/jared-kushner-family-business-subpoenaed

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I hope the Mooch just decides to burn it down in his press conference. Seriously, gently caress it. He lost his company, his wife, his kid, his job. He is the douchebag version of D-Fens from Falling Down at this point. Burn it the gently caress down, and bring the piss tape.

Well, after losing his company, wife, kid, and job (no word yet on house, truck, or dog), I assume he's announcing his upcoming country album

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Actually that's been a tradition since the revolutionary war

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

crazy vets would just shoot up a VA clinic, not anything relevant to the people pushing that legislation

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

crazy vets would just shoot up a VA clinic, not anything relevant to the people pushing that legislation

I know. :(

Whoops, stoned advocacy of that probably isn't a great idea.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 4, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A lot of veterans with pressure-wave-induced scarring of their brains are white and unemployed or underemployed. It makes perfect sense that they're huge fans of Trump.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Bear in mind that we live in a country where a veteran literally set himself on fire in front of a VA clinic and nothing happened.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They're just as likely to be Trumpets if they weren't veterans. Billy Joe from Horse's rear end in a top hat, Nebraska would likely be just as dumb if he didn't leave Nebraska and see various shitholes the world over.

Concussions and TBIs definitely don't help, though.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Uhm a vet died at a VA in Florida this year and his body was left in the patient shower area for 8 hours prior to being moved to the morgue because the nurses couldn't be arsed to do their jobs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They'll shoot up a VA clinic or a restaurant owned by foreigners(IE people from another state)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Two black vets snapped and went cop hunting. I don't think any vets have really tried to rack up a civilian body count - yet.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ that guy that flew from Alaska to Miami and just started shooting at the baggage pickup.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Uhm a vet died at a VA in Florida this year and his body was left in the patient shower area for 8 hours prior to being moved to the morgue because the nurses couldn't be arsed to do their jobs.

That could just as likely happen in a private hospital and never be spoken of outside of a board room.

But it's still loving horrible. Stupid goddamn VA.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Not to mention invoices going to Northup-Gummond, Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, KBR, L-3, and so on get cut off before veteran benefits do. So there's a population of really well armed, retarded and crazy people in the mix if things shut down for a really long time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gobbeldygook posted:

Two black vets snapped and went cop hunting. I don't think any vets have reallt tried to rack up a civilian body count - yet.

I can't pretend to imagine the anger marginalized people have returning from fighting a war must feel coming home to abused communities. I don't condone their actions but something something chickens roosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

oh dear me heavily armed veterans taking it out on the front line mental health providers in America this has never happened before

also it's cute that you think the only people launching ambush attacks on police are black, the deliberate police attack types are gloriously multiethnic. gently caress, one of them was a Yugoslavian war reenactor, a pair of them were professional joker / harley quinn cosplayers and of course your good old fashioned white supremacists have quite the LEO body count

'MERICA

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 4, 2017

• Locked thread