Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tainen posted:

How is Harthstone doing these days? I feel like a lot of people disliked the last set or two.

Whispers of The Old Gods was awful but the last expansion + rotation has led to a healthy + diverse meta. They did have to nerf(ban) one card from it though.

Arena is still horribly unbalanced despite their tweaks and its nothing but mage mirrors once you reach a certain win bracket.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So I was looking through my traders the other day and I realized I have a weird misprint.

It's a foil Captain's Claws, but the foil layer of it is the foiling from Goldnight Castigator.

I have no idea when I opened it. If it was back in the original run of Oath, then I wish I'd noticed it then, when it would have been a scoop on art from the next set!

I first noticed there was something off when I saw that it has a foil Shadows Over Innistrad set symbol overtop of the Oath of the Gatewatch symbol:

It doesn't photograph very well, but you can see other card's art in foil over the whole image, especially evident in the dark corners:

For reference:

Are these kind of mis-foils uncommon? Do misprint collectors actually care about this kind of thing?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

HEARTHSTONE TRAILBLAZING THE WAY FOR CCGS WITH 100% ORIGINAL IDEAS

(art is just a mockup from a stream spoiler if you're wondering why it looks like poo poo)

I loving hate Hearthstone's design philosophies so much

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

TheKingofSprings posted:

I loving hate Hearthstone's design philosophies so much

"Random" everything?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I know people care what I gotta say but I haven't played LOL since 2011 and I still put that poo poo on to watch before magic and I still play magic.

Magic is hard to watch.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

So I was looking through my traders the other day and I realized I have a weird misprint.

It's a foil Captain's Claws, but the foil layer of it is the foiling from Goldnight Castigator.

I have no idea when I opened it. If it was back in the original run of Oath, then I wish I'd noticed it then, when it would have been a scoop on art from the next set!

I first noticed there was something off when I saw that it has a foil Shadows Over Innistrad set symbol overtop of the Oath of the Gatewatch symbol:

It doesn't photograph very well, but you can see other card's art in foil over the whole image, especially evident in the dark corners:

For reference:

Are these kind of mis-foils uncommon? Do misprint collectors actually care about this kind of thing?

I think the whole american run of foils has this error. It's not a card people will pay attention to enough for a large number of them to get out there.

You could likely get 10 bucks in one of the groups for it, or stick it in your binder and hope someone who doesn't know how many there are spots it and wants it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mehall posted:

I think the whole american run of foils has this error. It's not a card people will pay attention to enough for a large number of them to get out there.

You could likely get 10 bucks in one of the groups for it, or stick it in your binder and hope someone who doesn't know how many there are spots it and wants it.

Yeah I looked it up and apparently it was a thing in those 3-card Standard Showdown packs where there was a whole run of this exact misprint of Captain's Claws with the foiling from Goldnight Castigator.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So which of these two bad decks should I take to Modern FNM tomorrow?

Deck: Abzan Evolve
or
Deck: UB Mill (still debating a singleton Dismember or Set Adrift maindeck, with the other going SB)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 4, 2017

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

C-Euro posted:

or
Deck: UB Mill (still debating a singleton Dismember or Set Adrift maindeck)

Mill for sure

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

or
Deck: UB Mill (still debating a singleton Dismember or Set Adrift maindeck, with the other going SB)

Not mill for sure.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

C-Euro posted:

or

The Evolve deck looks more fun, but Mill is like Burn in that it's really good at annoying people. Use your judgment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

Mill for sure

Yay.

suicidesteve posted:

Not mill for sure.

Boo.

Attorney at Funk posted:

The Evolve deck looks more fun, but Mill is like Burn in that it's really good at annoying people. Use your judgment.

I've been playing some variant of Mill for a few years and it does OK to great at my store, but I haven't tested it with Fraying Sanity yet. The Evolve deck is a new idea and I need to get more reps in to figure out if I want to keep the Eldritch Evolution focus or just move into a more traditional Little Kid Abzan list. But I did a little playtesting last FNM and it's fun!

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

HEARTHSTONE TRAILBLAZING THE WAY FOR CCGS WITH 100% ORIGINAL IDEAS

(art is just a mockup from a stream spoiler if you're wondering why it looks like poo poo)

Hearthstone is a cool game to spectate but gently caress, they hate the idea of player's control over their decks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

I mean, functionally, that mill deck is a burn deck. I don't mean that as an insult, but it basically operates in the same way, just goes after a different life total.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

I mean, functionally, that mill deck is a burn deck. I don't mean that as an insult, but it basically operates in the same way, just goes after a different life total.

No insult taken, Mill is basically Burn that's worse at creature interaction but is impervious to lifegain-based Burn hate.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I just started playing Hearthstone. I just play arena and pick every card that says random.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Hearthstone is a cool game to spectate but gently caress, they hate the idea of player's control over their decks.

Ultimately they've figured out that you need a power vs. consistency tradeoff to make deckbuilding interesting and provide enough variance between games to keep people playing. In Magic, that's built into the resource system - higher-cost cards are inherently less consistent (because you might not hit all your land drops on time), and you can pick the best cards from multiple colours in order to get more power at the cost of a less consistent manabase. In Hearthstone, neither of those are true, so they instead make the powerful cards inherently inconsistent via randomness. (See also: the fact that you can only have one copy of a particular powerful legendary card, which also increases variance)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I've complained about limited/my skill deficiency in limited before. I was encouraged to post decklists. Well, I'm starting an HOU sealed league tomorrow with a pretty sick initial pool, and would like input on where you would go with this pool: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hou-sealed-league-1/

I was originally Grixis, but a short convo in the Discord convinced me to just go UB and splash for the two gods. I liked the high end of my green, but the intermediate stuff in both it and white felt weak. In the end, I wanted to play around my two bombs instead of Rhonas.

What would you do?

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Shadow225 posted:

I've complained about limited/my skill deficiency in limited before. I was encouraged to post decklists. Well, I'm starting an HOU sealed league tomorrow with a pretty sick initial pool, and would like input on where you would go with this pool: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hou-sealed-league-1/

I was originally Grixis, but a short convo in the Discord convinced me to just go UB and splash for the two gods. I liked the high end of my green, but the intermediate stuff in both it and white felt weak. In the end, I wanted to play around my two bombs instead of Rhonas.

What would you do?

I would probably drop the graven abomination for either horror of the broken lands or oketra's monument.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

What would you do?

You play Oketra's monument. Full stop. Regardless of whether or not you're playing white.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

What would you do?

Serious answer: Play whatever you think is most fun, it's a casual sealed league dude.

Tryhard answer:

Rhonas isn't a bomb?

Your grixis manabase sucks rear end. Do not play colorless lands in your three color deck, the value of actually casting the spells in your hand massively outweighs the value of your utility lands. The red desert in your sideboard is so much better than the sunscorched desert. With spells that need BB, UU, UR, and BR, you want every bit of colored mana you can get.

I think your best option is playing green as a base color. It gives you ramp. mana fixing, good creatures to fill out your curve, plus two bombs in Scaled Behemoth and Sifter Worm. The Ramunmap Excavator is also great with the deserts you have. Pair that up with all the removal you have in black and you got a pretty strong deck that's not going to lose to it's own lands. You can splash for the BR god plus Abrade pretty easily, maybe the blue god as well but with only two sources of mana fixing that's pretty optimistic.

Also whatever deck you play I think Horror of The Broken Lands is pretty strong. It's a solid body that can cycle if you're digging for something. Don't get distracted by the other ability, even without many other cycling cards to turn it on, it's still a solid body.

TimNeilson posted:

I would probably drop the graven abomination for either horror of the broken lands or oketra's monument.

Agree that Graven Abomination is weak. Not a fan of monument since the deck has plenty of late-game value without it.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-fraying-sanity-modern

Man I swear Burn keeps the Modern format very honest, cause i've played a bunch of this deck today and I'm not sure my other modern decks would have fared as well as Burn has.

It's a legit deck though, I was usually sub 10 cards by the time I won and I'm sure it only loses to anything that can win prior to turn 4-5

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Here's the limited thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361226

Getting more posts there would be cool.

If you're splashing red might as well put in Abrade. Also drop the colourless desert if you're playing a 3 colour deck.

That green does look good though. Hard for me to process in that format.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Yuzenn posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-fraying-sanity-modern

Man I swear Burn keeps the Modern format very honest, cause i've played a bunch of this deck today and I'm not sure my other modern decks would have fared as well as Burn has.

It's a legit deck though, I was usually sub 10 cards by the time I won and I'm sure it only loses to anything that can win prior to turn 4-5

lol I just posted that in the Eternal thread. It's a sweet version of the deck but running Thought Scour over both Hedron Crab AND Visions of Beyond is baffling.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lone Goat posted:

Arena was also the name of their casual in store league in the 90s that had those awesome islands.

arena was also the name of the legendary tale of Garth One-Eye of House Oor-Tael

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

C-Euro posted:

lol I just posted that in the Eternal thread. It's a sweet version of the deck but running Thought Scour over both Hedron Crab AND Visions of Beyond is baffling.

Something something Hedron Crab dies to bolt something

(Totally joking, but I noticed the same thing)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Yuzenn posted:

Something something Hedron Crab dies to bolt something

(Totally joking, but I noticed the same thing)

Invalidating all of your opponent's creature removal game 1 isn't a bad strategy in a vacuum, but having played both Crab and Scour in this type of deck I know which one I'd rather see at any point in the game, especially early on.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

rabidsquid posted:

arena was also the name of the legendary tale of Garth One-Eye of House Oor-Tael

Don't need to hear about the fanfic you wrote about your own dick

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Thought Scour is basically Needle Drop in Mill, which I guess is kind of okay?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Well it looks like the VSL is coming up soonish, and you know what that means: A bunch of people who have never played and know nothing about vintage whining about an insanely inbred, 12 person meta yet again!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Yay.

Boo.

I've been playing some variant of Mill for a few years and it does OK to great at my store, but I haven't tested it with Fraying Sanity yet. The Evolve deck is a new idea and I need to get more reps in to figure out if I want to keep the Eldritch Evolution focus or just move into a more traditional Little Kid Abzan list. But I did a little playtesting last FNM and it's fun!

take mill and I'll show up with Living End

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

80s James Hetfield posted:

The less netdecking the better

This is a terrible terrible terrible opinion. More data is never bad.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

suicidesteve posted:

Well it looks like the VSL is coming up soonish, and you know what that means: A bunch of people who have never played and know nothing about vintage whining about an insanely inbred, 12 person meta yet again!

Chalice restriction didn't kill Shops. Lodestone restriction didn't kill Shops. Top ban didn't kill Miracles.

A big flaming stink posted:

Turn one Tome Scour, mill all the Living Ends.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Chalice restriction didn't kill Shops. Lodestone restriction didn't kill Shops. Top ban didn't kill Miracles.

Chalice restriction was the final nail in the coffin for Smokestack based builds of Shops and enabled nothing new (because miracle gro decks were still better than everything else.)

Lodestone restriction killed Terra Nova and Martello and enabled nothing new (because miracle gro decks were still better than everything else.)

Gush restriction barely helped because Mentor and Paradoxical Outcome are stupid, broken cards and miracle gro decks continue to be better than everything else.

Mentor restriction probably won't help much because Vice President Jace and Young Pyromancer exist. I'm pretty sure at this point without some bannings or an insane amount of restrictions there's just no way to get vintage to be anything but Mentor and anti-Mentor decks (that still lose to Mentor.)

Top ban absolutely did kill miracles, are you kidding? It's 4% of the mtgtop8 meta and it's horrible.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 4, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

A big flaming stink posted:

Maindeck Crypt Incursion and Surgical Extraction say hey (show up anyway!)

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

This is a terrible terrible terrible opinion. More data is never bad.

(((That was the joke)))

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

there's going to be a 45 minute live blogatog at hascon

why

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

80s James Hetfield posted:

(((That was the joke)))
Kind of a crap joke considering how many dorks still hate the very concept that someone, somewhere, might be playing a deck devised by a different person.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

let's get *throws a dart at board* monastery mentor banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
omg i looked at the hascon thing and apparently Beyblade is still around, what the gently caress