Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hagie posted:

What exactly is the "earth" element spell in FFXII? I see it on wolves and such, but realized I have never seen a stone or anything like that

There isn't one, it's entirely weapon-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Artelier posted:

Necrohol of Nabudis is completely, 100% optional.

If you're following the story and just got there, you went the wrong way from the Salikawoods. You want the other exit, which doesn't require you to go through a boss fight.

EDIT: The above post is correct that you can find an Esper there, but it's not Zeromus and it's after a relatively complicated quest. If you wanna look it up, the Esper is Chaos.

I'm loving around with Reddas in my party since I'm about to go to Pharos and I think that's a point of no return? Just doing hunts and some espers, trying to get better weapons.

In that vein, if I've got a shikari/breaker as my A team tank/melee guy, are daggers my better option for the evade boost? I haven't even found any ninja swords.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Pharos isn't really a point of no return iirc, just really really long. You do however lose Reddas at the end. If you haven't gone there at all, go until the gold crystal, that unlocks some hunts i think? Then the next trigger is completion of Pharos. Going off memory though, might be off.

I'm at the same point you are , finishing up most (not tedious) hunts that are available before climbing the tower and getting most espers.

If you want to tank, easiest option atm should be giving the shikari your best shield plus main gauche, which you can buy in jahara.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Artelier posted:

Pharos isn't really a point of no return iirc, just really really long. You do however lose Reddas at the end. If you haven't gone there at all, go until the gold crystal, that unlocks some hunts i think? Then the next trigger is completion of Pharos. Going off memory though, might be off.

I'm at the same point you are , finishing up most (not tedious) hunts that are available before climbing the tower and getting most espers.

If you want to tank, easiest option atm should be giving the shikari your best shield plus main gauche, which you can buy in jahara.

Thanks, that's good to know. I know main gauche has tons of evade, but I'm more thinking for general use dps/tank hybrid purposes. Plus I want to try for some ultimate weapons!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The overall problem with FF13's tutorial is that the game itself doesn't motivate you to play it properly. Most fights don't have a failure condition for taking too long, so you could very easily sit in COM/SEN/MED mashing X and beat every fight in the early game. But that takes forever and is really boring. Then you actually run into a fight with a DPS check (Barthandalus) and you fail because you've never had a reason to actually care about your DPS until that point.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Emron posted:

I'm loving around with Reddas in my party since I'm about to go to Pharos and I think that's a point of no return? Just doing hunts and some espers, trying to get better weapons.

In that vein, if I've got a shikari/breaker as my A team tank/melee guy, are daggers my better option for the evade boost? I haven't even found any ninja swords.

Pharos isn't the point of no return, but completing it will kick Reddas out of your party so you may as well get some stuff done while you have an extra target/Arise caster running around with you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

The overall problem with FF13's tutorial is that the game itself doesn't motivate you to play it properly. Most fights don't have a failure condition for taking too long, so you could very easily sit in COM/SEN/MED mashing X and beat every fight in the early game. But that takes forever and is really boring. Then you actually run into a fight with a DPS check (Barthandalus) and you fail because you've never had a reason to actually care about your DPS until that point.

It's funny, on my first run I remember Bart 1 being an absolute nightmare because he has this super move that also resets his Stagger gauge On my second run, I demolished him pretty easily (only got 3 stars though but that beats the no stars I got originally) because you can somehow knock him out of doing that move which I never managed to do before.

My problem was never realizing the power of SAB, both in terms of debuffs and slowing the Stagger gauge. I learned about that online after my first run of XIII. I guess the Scalebeasts are supposed to be your tutorial on that but they are completely optional.

Overall I did a lot better on my second run, although still couldn't beat Orphan without Poison.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Ventana posted:

Yeah that too of course, though I'd still like showing resistance %'s if you're already going to have a Scan/Libra page.

Pretty sure most of them only cover elemental weaknesses. I think it wasn't till FFX they started to Status immunities from what I checked? And the FFX wasn't clear about it iirc.

FF8 showed elemental weaknesses with Scan. In a few cases it literally told you "This monster is weak vs (element)".

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Barudak posted:

I loved the update on this that was the new company going "we have to start from scratch. Our plan is to deliver on the promuse of Matsuno single player strategy game" which gives me a thirst to know exactly what was done previously.

My understanding is they did a bunch of work on sp before pivoting in a panic to not run out of $

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Emron posted:

Thanks, that's good to know. I know main gauche has tons of evade, but I'm more thinking for general use dps/tank hybrid purposes. Plus I want to try for some ultimate weapons!

Something about this game is you have to choose somewhat between tank and dps. The Tournesol, the ultimate greatsword, has pretty great evasion for a two handed weapon, along with a good combo rate and ridiculous power. It's very time-intensive to get all the ingredients though.

If you want to sell your soul to the devil though, the Seitengrat bow is so powerful that it makes the Zodiac Spear look like a useless stick. In addition, it grants 75 evasion.

Another option is the ultimate shield, which I can't remember the name of. It grants 95 evasion, with complete immunity to every element. Pair this with the ultimate katana (which is inexplicably one-handed) and you have exactly what you're asking for.

However both of these are invisible and lame as gently caress, in addition to requiring you to study videos to master frame-perfect RNG to get them. In actuality, FF12 Zodiac provides a much more focused experience than OG FF12, albeit one that requires you to make choices and not create omnipotent gods.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Using Decoy on your main gauche user is still the most heroic combo in the game though.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I was exploring and I got almost all the Espers and then an area opened in the Henne Mines and SUDDENLY I'M FIGHTING THIS rear end in a top hat ZODIARK OMG HOW QUICKLY HE THROWS UP THOSE PALINGS HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO BEAT HIM

I may be a tad under leveled for this, my Penelo is 58, my Balthier is 51 and everyone else is lower...but seriously, I can get him into the last phase and then he's just immune almost forever? The interval between palings seem random, once it took like a whole minute and I got him to maybe 3 more Scathes, the latest run he just put it up the next turn he got twice in a row and I didn't even come close to the first try. And the physical one never seems to go down?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Artelier posted:

So I was exploring and I got almost all the Espers and then an area opened in the Henne Mines and SUDDENLY I'M FIGHTING THIS rear end in a top hat ZODIARK OMG HOW QUICKLY HE THROWS UP THOSE PALINGS HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO BEAT HIM

I may be a tad under leveled for this, my Penelo is 58, my Balthier is 51 and everyone else is lower...but seriously, I can get him into the last phase and then he's just immune almost forever? The interval between palings seem random, once it took like a whole minute and I got him to maybe 3 more Scathes, the latest run he just put it up the next turn he got twice in a row and I didn't even come close to the first try. And the physical one never seems to go down?

he is immune to physical attacks forever and immune to magic attacks most of the time and yes you're just supposed to wait for it to drop and then have everyone cast scathe in that brief moment. save your quickenings for that point too because they aren't affected by palings,

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Artelier posted:

get three physical weapons users with great weapons
bravery
haste
berserk

send one dope in solo to get killed by darkja

when it says "select a new team" you swap in your big burly boys to pound zodiark into the stone age before it can cast a single paling

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

corn in the bible posted:

he is immune to physical attacks forever and immune to magic attacks most of the time and yes you're just supposed to wait for it to drop and then have everyone cast scathe in that brief moment. save your quickenings for that point too because they aren't affected by palings,

Nice, will try the Quickening strat.

Any tips for Darkja? I assume it's Dark element but I have no immune or absorption to it atm. I have some halving equipment but it does enough damage that the people that can equip them die anyway. My tank Balthier with Bubble (9999) tanks it...sometimes. And other times he dies from full health? Is the damage variance that high or am I just missing something?

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

get three physical weapons users with great weapons
bravery
haste
berserk

send one dope in solo to get killed by darkja

when it says "select a new team" you swap in your big burly boys to pound zodiark into the stone age before it can cast a single paling

Haha I don't think my level/damage output is high enough for this but I'll give it a shot anyway and yes I've been sacrificing Basch to Zodiarc every time, the fate of all Monk/Archers!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If I'm not mistaken, not only did scan show status effect weakness in FFX, it also showed if they were immune to break attacks.

Speaking of which, I just finished X. I need a little clarification, what is exactly is Tidus again? My interpretation was that his Zanarkand was basically like a summon from the fayth, and he came with it. The fayth basically said "gently caress it, we're tired of dreaming, kill yu yevon" and him being a good guy and wanting to save Yuna's world went along with it. Still not sure how Auron got there though.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

seiferguy posted:

If I'm not mistaken, not only did scan show status effect weakness in FFX, it also showed if they were immune to break attacks.

Speaking of which, I just finished X. I need a little clarification, what is exactly is Tidus again? My interpretation was that his Zanarkand was basically like a summon from the fayth, and he came with it. The fayth basically said "gently caress it, we're tired of dreaming, kill yu yevon" and him being a good guy and wanting to save Yuna's world went along with it. Still not sure how Auron got there though.

Tidus was basically being summoned by the fayth in the same way that Dream Zanarkand itself was.

AFAIK Auron's ability to go to and from Dream Zanarkand was left intentionally ambiguous; I think there's reason to believe that, since Dream Zanarkand was a place that literally existed somewhere on Spira, Auron just figured out where it was and was able to take a ship there or whatever. Alternatively, it's because he's an unsent and they had some special ability.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a special power that comes with being over 30 in a JRPG

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a special power that comes with being over 30 in a JRPG

Truly a rarity

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm thinking of starting a new FFXII:ZA game with the gimmick that I won't use any offensive magic. Right now the party I have planned is:

Vaan: Shikari/Foebreaker (ninja swords, debuffer)
Penelo: White Mage/Machinist (guns, healbot)
Balthier: Uhlan/Bushi (spears, access to White Robes + Holy Lance)
Fran: Monk/Time Mage (poles, access to haste in midgame)
Basch: Shikari/Bushi (Katanas, access to Black Robes + Yagyu Darkblade)
Ashe: Knight/Bushi (greatswords, access to White Robes + Excalibur)

Thoughts?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

It was a very nice touch of X that it said IMMUNE to certain things so you knew right away it just didn't work instead of wondering if the status effect just missed.

Also Auron tells you he hitched a ride on Sin.
Auron: "Don't make that face. Being dead has its advantages. I was able to ride Sin and go to your Zanarkand."

Sin is how everyone gets from Dream Zanarkand to the rest of Spira because Plot.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm thinking of starting a new FFXII:ZA game with the gimmick that I won't use any offensive magic. Right now the party I have planned is:

Thoughts?

I hope you are prepared to farm for Motes

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

I hope you are prepared to farm for Motes

Are there any bottlenecks I'm not thinking of that can't be dealt with using elemental weapons?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Thoughts?

you'll do fine but be insanely bored for the entire game so my thought is don't because that's stupid

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

you'll do fine but be insanely bored for the entire game so my thought is don't because that's stupid

I find 0.5-player games insanely satisfying so that's kind of the idea

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Are there any bottlenecks I'm not thinking of that can't be dealt with using elemental weapons?

yeah, every boss past 2/3 or so has a physical paling at some point so please enjoy spamming knot of rusts forever

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spam my rust knot

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

yeah, every boss past 2/3 or so has a physical paling at some point so please enjoy spamming knot of rusts forever

Do elemental weapons and ammo not work against physical palings?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

those are physical attacks so they are blocked

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

in vanilla 12, not even quickenings worked against physical palings

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

those are physical attacks so they are blocked

Well that's what Shades of Black is for then :toot:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well that's what Shades of Black is for then :toot:

tfw u cast poison, and then blizzard, which the boss absorbs, and then poison again, and then blizzaga

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Would messing with the battle speed help with Zodiark? Just musing for game plan ideas for when I get time to play later grrrr

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

in ff12 you should always have battle speed at max because the later bosses all get instant-cast skills and on lower speeds you'll be outraced easily. other things like doom and the demonwall also work separately from battle-speed

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

in ff12 you should always have battle speed at max because the later bosses all get instant-cast skills and on lower speeds you'll be outraced easily. other things like doom and the demonwall also work separately from battle-speed

That's dumb. I max battle speed anyway. But still that's dumb

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So if I were to ask which is the best FF sequel, am I correct in assuming most responses would be X-2 or Lightning Returns?

Just curious. It probably won't be Dirge of Cerberus or The After Years. But what of Crisis Core or Revenant Wings or Tactics Advance? (does that count? Maybe TA2?)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Crisis Core was fairly fun but limited by being on the PSP, Revenant Wings is about what you'd expect from a DS RTS by people who'd never made one before, the Tactics Advance games are okay but I hate the law system and I miss the 'real' Ivalice story instead of the imaginary world one in those.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TA2 is real Ivalice I'm pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's been long enough that 1 & 2 kinda run together in my head