Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Huh, I randomly missed a Bulletproof Coffin one-shot back in June? Has there been anything else since Disinterred ended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I can't believe Invincible is finishing up for good. It's so close to the end now. I absolutely loving love everything about it. This final Viltrumite war is off the chain. I pretty much only read Image comics + Antman's more recent runs since a few years ago and Rick and Morty. I'm behind on Chew and Walking Dead but getting caught up. I loved Y The Last Man and Ex Machina. I loved Alex and Ada. I enjoy Sex Criminals, Manifest Destiny, Invincible Universe (obv), Tech Jacket (will there ever be more?), Brit, Saga (loving loooove), East of West(behind), Copperhead, Paper Girls, They're Not Like Us, Thief of Thieves (behind), Prophet (behind), Nowhere Men (so sloooow in publishing, amirite?), and I think that's about it or all I can remember for now. Anyone have any recommendations on poo poo I clearly should be reading but have let slip through the cracks? I don't know if my tastes have a clear correlation or of it comes off as eclectic or hodgepodge or whatever. I could really use some Best Tiger spinoff poo poo if that was available. I went nuts for what IU gave us as a side taste. Should I try getting into Savage Dragon at all? I've never really talked comics with anyone before, but if anyone wants to talk about these with me or has advice for me in any way, shape or form, hit me up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is it all just a bunch of superpowered torsos left flailing at each other after every other limb got ripped off?

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

The second to last issue that came out had a two page spread where there were like several thousand Viltrumites all flying full speed at Invincible, his dad, Eve, Space Racer, Allan the Alien, and his lady friend as various body parts, eyeballs, chunks of brain and other goo literally exploded on contact as they tore through them (these were young halfbreed Viltrumites).They are grossly outnumbered, however. The fight has a lot more to it than that, but yeah that moment happened. Their plan has a few different layers than that and they are busting out solid cameos left and right of older characters. We get to see tether dude again and, back on Earth, what Rudy/Robot/Clone-Rex-Splode has been up to. It's disturbing and badass at the same time. The art is top notch. Their daughter is heart warming, and the former Viltrumites back on Earth all have funny side poo poo going on now too.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 3, 2017

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Rogue Wave, maybe try:

For Sci fi:

Lazarus - - this one reminds me of East of West, with families vying for control but very different thematically. Definitely the most obvious one to read first given what you've liked imo.

Descender - - Sci fi, v cool world as well

Low-- reminds me of saga, in that there's a family dealing with some poo poo in a Sci fi world, but darker and post apocalyptic

For fantasy:

The Autumnlands - - give it at least a trade to see if you like it, very well done.

Spire - - miniseries, kind of reminiscent of saga in terms of the alien races and whatnot but v different scope and a detective story

Monstress - - maybe out of your ballpark, but does the 'feuding races' fantasy thing v well with great world building etc

Pretty Deadly - - another magical realist western themed comic, but much more focused on individual stories.

For rural town:

Southern Bastards - - small football town, racism etc; I'm not exactly selling it but it has a v gritty vibe and worth reading.

Murder mystery in fifties Hollywood :

The Fade Out: this kind of came to mind with Thief of Thieves, but is definitely a darker book. Still good though!

The Wicked and the Divine: the Gods are popstars who die in two years. One of those books you should try at least an issue or two of.

If you want more Matt Fraction (Sex Criminals), I like Casanova (iirc, spy getting into some poo poo) or ODY-C (gender swapped intergalactic version of the odyssey) best out of his other stuff, but a lot of people like Satellite Sam a lot as well.

You might also want to try the most recent run of Hawkeye from Marvel.

There's a ton of good image comics, and comics in general, and it sounds like you pretty much like a good mix of them. A lot of these are similar in one way or other to things you've read, but some more so than others. They're all good though, imo~ of there's any you like in particular I can definitely give other reccs too. I might have gone a bit far afield towards the end there but poo poo there's a lot of good comics out there.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

rogue wave posted:

I can't believe Invincible is finishing up for good. It's so close to the end now.

KIRKMAN COMICS CAN END?!?!?

Maybe its time to catch back up.
I was in the 90s issue wise I think.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Giant Days this week was real good as always. Fuckin' Ed Gemmell, sort yourself out man. Totally on Daisy's side, he looks like an idiot and is passing up a great girl just because he's hung up on Esther and bullshit notions of love at first sight. (Also fairly typical that Daisy can fix other people's romantic problems yet still hasn't quite figured out if she loves or hates her own girlfriend)

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Oh poo poo. You pegged my likes down with a swiftness.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Gonna recommend a Vertigo series: Sweet Tooth. Very weird Lemire art, post-apocalyptic world with human / animal hybrids, a sweet story about a journey and family. I think it's probably right up your alley.

And because you like Invincible gutsplosions: Justin Jordan's Luthor Strode. Three mini-series of over the top violent insanity. They're just really fun.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Holy gently caress I forgot to list Luther Strode too! You're dead on.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
And on top of all these solid recommendations, I think you'll really enjoy Savage Dragon too. There are seven black and white Archives TPBs so far, reprinting 25 issues in each. That would be the best way to catch up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

rogue wave posted:

The second to last issue that came out had a two page spread where there were like several thousand Viltrumites all flying full speed at Invincible, his dad, Eve, Space Racer, Allan the Alien, and his lady friend as various body parts, eyeballs, chunks of brain and other goo literally exploded on contact as they tore through them (these were young halfbreed Viltrumites).They are grossly outnumbered, however. The fight has a lot more to it than that, but yeah that moment happened. Their plan has a few different layers than that and they are busting out solid cameos left and right of older characters. We get to see tether dude again and, back on Earth, what Rudy/Robot/Clone-Rex-Splode has been up to. It's disturbing and badass at the same time. The art is top notch. Their daughter is heart warming, and the former Viltrumites back on Earth all have funny side poo poo going on now too.

Have you tried Metabarons?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
^^ this comic is cool too!

Orc Stain is another classic "a loving ton of poo poo going on in battle scenes" comic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The 3 luther strode series were probably my favorite purchase of last year or early this year.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

foutre posted:

Orc Stain is another classic "a loving ton of poo poo going on in battle scenes" comic.

Warning for Orc Stain is that the series has one collected volume out and basically no sign of new releases in sight.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
There's a Luther Strode hc coming out in October so if you're thinking of buying it maybe wait for that one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've been very reticent to pick up many indie books immediately just because I've been burned so many times by delays and scheduling issues that I generally will wait for at least one or two trades before I jump into a new book. But yesterday a new series by Jay Faerber came out and I'm big fan of stuff like Noble Causes, Dynamo 5, and Copperhead (which admittedly is one of the often delayed books that I was referring to earlier) so I pretty much had to check it out.

The book is called Elsewhere and it starts out on an alien planet with two aliens trying to escape from these guys on some weird flying creatures. They hear a female voice crying for help and find Amelia Earhart stuck by her parachute in a tree. They get her down and she tells them she has to find her partner Fred Noonan but the other aliens show up again to chase them so all of them start running again with aliens explaining they had just escaped from the dungeon of a tyrant who had taken over their land. They find their own flying creatures to help them get away and Amelia immediately bonds with hers which they say usually takes much longer for a rider and she tells them about how good she is at flying her plane and all. They say they've heard the word plane before but it's not a word they understand and one of the prisoners in a cell near them was talking about a plane as well. She now knows that the guy they're trying to escape has Fred Noonan so she gets intentionally captured as part of a plan to break him out. They throw her into the cell, but it's not Fred Noonan in the cell, it's DB Cooper.

The book was great up until that reveal. But that reveal immediately makes this one of the books I'm most looking forward to reading every month now. Of course I'm sure the Shipping Gods will punish me now for taking so quick a liking to the book but I just can't help it.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 3, 2017

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sold!

Dynamo 5 is dope. D. B. Cooper is dope.

I'm still upset that Urban Myths didn't get a full series...

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

Have you tried Metabarons?

metabarons (and the technopriests and the incal) is... weird. dune by way of space opera is the best aesthetic comparison, though it lacks for complex themes. definitely worth a read, but you're reading for a fun journey rather than extremely compelling plots or characters.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Neurosis posted:

metabarons (and the technopriests and the incal) is... weird. dune by way of space opera is the best aesthetic comparison, though it lacks for complex themes. definitely worth a read, but you're reading for a fun journey rather than extremely compelling plots or characters.

Metabarons is awesome. The whole thing feels like Greek mythology in space. Sure it doesn't always make sense, but it is a glorious ride. I very much disagree with the statement that it lacks complex themes, there is a lot to explore.

Didn't care for The Incal at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought the art and stylized violence of Luther Strode were excellent and unique, but it's one of the worst written comics I've ever read. His Manic Pixie Dreamgirl Killer GF may be the least natural and most irritating character I can remember in a comic book. The whole thing smacked of a self-insert fantasy where the nerdy loser becomes the taciturn best and coolest murderer of all time.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

I've been very reticent to pick up many indie books immediately just because I've been burned so many times by delays and scheduling issues that I generally will wait for at least one or two trades before I jump into a new book. But yesterday a new series by Jay Faerber came out and I'm big fan of stuff like Noble Causes, Dynamo 5, and Copperhead (which admittedly is one of the often delayed books that I was referring to earlier) so I pretty much had to check it out.

The book is called Elsewhere and it starts out on an alien planet with two aliens trying to escape from these guys on some weird flying creatures. They hear a female voice crying for help and find Amelia Earhart stuck by her parachute in a tree. They get her down and she tells them she has to find her partner Fred Noonan but the other aliens show up again to chase them so all of them start running again with aliens explaining they had just escaped from the dungeon of a tyrant who had taken over their land. They find their own flying creatures to help them get away and Amelia immediately bonds with hers which they say usually takes much longer for a rider and she tells them about how good she is at flying her plane and all. They say they've heard the word plane before but it's not a word they understand and one of the prisoners in a cell near them was talking about a plane as well. She now knows that the guy they're trying to escape has Fred Noonan so she gets intentionally captured as part of a plan to break him out. They throw her into the cell, but it's not Fred Noonan in the cell, it's DB Cooper.

The book was great up until that reveal. But that reveal immediately makes this one of the books I'm most looking forward to reading every month now. Of course I'm sure the Shipping Gods will punish me now for taking so quick a liking to the book but I just can't help it.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that picked it up because I am terrible at recommending new comics.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

I thought the art and stylized violence of Luther Strode were excellent and unique, but it's one of the worst written comics I've ever read. His Manic Pixie Dreamgirl Killer GF may be the least natural and most irritating character I can remember in a comic book. The whole thing smacked of a self-insert fantasy where the nerdy loser becomes the taciturn best and coolest murderer of all time.

The art had a fantastic sense of movement to it. Haven't seen much that compares for that visceral feel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Neurosis posted:

The art had a fantastic sense of movement to it. Haven't seen much that compares for that visceral feel.

Yeah it's allllmost worth picking up for the art alone, I've never seen it done that way. I know around here people frown at gory violence but yeah I can't really think of anything that compares to it. Some Invincible fights might be close, but it doesn't approach LS in terms of stylization.

Cannot over state how much Justin Jordan sucks though, and how much I believe the main character is his self insert. Can't think of another comic where there's such a gap between the art and the writing. Usually it's the other way around, with terrible artists loving up otherwise well written books, but not here.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioTech posted:

Metabarons is awesome. The whole thing feels like Greek mythology in space. Sure it doesn't always make sense, but it is a glorious ride. I very much disagree with the statement that it lacks complex themes, there is a lot to explore.

Yeah, a comic where a character has to hunt down the head of the last surviving poet in the galaxy in order to feel love has some themes.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I love the frantic and almost limitless art direction of the muscles in Luther Strode just as much as I like futuristic endless cities like Telscria.

I wish I could find better examples online, but Telscria is the poo poo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

People complain about the gore in Invincible, but Ryan Ottley's made HUGE leaps in his art style while working on that book, his outer space stuff was phenomenal. I was really happy that the book took place in alien environments for a couple arcs and let Ottley really shine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ottley does great spreads too. He draws super strength fights very well.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

You said what I was trying to say and found much better scans!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Everyone try Mech Cadet Yu, and give it to the kids in your life . It's great.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Thirding a recommend for Elsewhere! Good art, interesting story.

I also picked up issues 1 & 2 of Shirtless Bear Fighter, just because.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

foutre posted:

So glad you posted this. I remember picking up an issue at my LGS years ago, and eventually lost it. I could never remember the title, just the amazing artwork. So glad I can find it again now, thank you.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Everyone try Mech Cadet Yu, and give it to the kids in your life . It's great.

Seconding this, it was great. I thought it was great that the first issue sped through what would usually be the first arc - we all knew where it was going so get that poo poo out of the way quickly and move on to the robot punching and teen drama

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Shame it's a 4 issue mini. I would support a full on ongoing so hard.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

Roth posted:

Shame it's a 4 issue mini. I would support a full on ongoing so hard.

I think it's a 4 issue mini "for now". If it sells well it'll keep going

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, for instance, Giant Days is on #30 of a 6 issue mini.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

OH really? Sick

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

W+D

Woden you creepy gently caress

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Synthbuttrange posted:

W+D

Woden you creepy gently caress

Woden's my favorite part of W+D. I just love reading about really lovely people like that, and he is especially interesting to me since his whole mindset feels scarily like real people to me.

Basically a lovely internet nerd given god powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've been falling out of w+d because it feels like a soap opera lately
Omg gasp she was...hitting him!!!