Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Sleekly posted:

Whos got something to say about Forbidden Stars? I recognise I'll not be able to justifiably buy TI3 but I really really wanna.

Does FS make a reasonable substitute?

The End posted:

It's the best board game.

Sleekly posted:

My guts say thats not quite true but also that it seems to be a very good game. HMMMMM

gently caress it it'll resell later if I hate it.

Update: never selling this.
If you're on the fence and like some conflict grab it while you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
:cheers:

So I went and did a thing

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I've heard nice thing about the Great Western Trail, including comparisons to Caylus. Any goon opinions on it?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

We finished our sixth Gloomhaven scenario last night. It got a bit dicey at the end, as we had upgraded the scenario to level 2 and took too long in the first two of four rooms, but we managed to finish the scenario with only two turns of cards left. Still a lot of fun! We spent too long on setup, and I'm hoping the Meeplerealty insert that should be coming tomorrow will help fix that.

We also played Near and Far last week, and had a good time once we finished learning the game. It's very light, and despite having a ton of options available, is pretty easy. It's got issues, such as placing tents and fighting monsters is clearly the easiest and quickest way to win compared to actual exploring, but it was still fun. They just could have made it more balanced.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lichtenstein posted:

I've heard nice thing about the Great Western Trail, including comparisons to Caylus. Any goon opinions on it?

I just played it recently! I liked it. I don't think it shares much with Mombasa, which is the most common comparison, I'd probably put it more like Russian Railroads or Snowdonia with less worker placement?

I really enjoyed the "going through the trail multiple times, you control the speed, going more times gives you more scoring chances but fewer chances to do the actions in the trail" tradeoff. I also won against someone who's played a ton, but we did play it wrong (he went first and should have gotten a turn after I ended the game, I guess, though that actually sounds extremely powerful for going first, getting an extra turn?).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hey in case anyone forgot: gloomhaven is loving good as hell. Unlocked 2 classes last weekend: sunburst and 5 circles

spoilers on sun symbol:
What a fun take on the paladin concept. I like that this support/melee class focuses mostly on giving allies stronger attacks, with brief moments of invulnerability. Looks like a lot of fun to play as or with in a party, although I think the relatively slow movement speed early on will still make it tricky. I never play support-like classes, but I'd play this one in a heartbeat.

spoilers on 5 circles:
I seriously cannot believe how interesting this class is mechanically. A summoner is one thing, and could have been cool on its own, but there's so many little touches that make it shine. The ability to either recover lost summons or create an incredibly powerful summon? The emphasis on using your summons to generate mana to use for yourself? Really makes it play much more fluidly than just 'make guys and send them at the enemy'.

I have yet to be let down by any class we have unlocked.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Impermanent posted:

hey in case anyone forgot: gloomhaven is loving good as hell. Unlocked 2 classes last weekend: sunburst and 5 circles
spoilers on sun symbol:

We also unlocked the Sun Symbol, it's the first we've unlocked, and I'm excited to try it out maybe after next week. I'll be retiring my Scoundrel after finishing my personal quest, so I want to try something new.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lichtenstein posted:

It's nothing like Caylus, honestly. It feels a bit too mishmashy to me and doesn't feel as tight or cohesive as the idea can be. There are a lot of ideas in there but none of them really feel fully developed. I'm not sure if it's actually comparable, but I feel that Concordia sorta does things better and more elegantly, but I may be biasing that opinion towards the very soft deckbuilding aspects of both.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

We haven't unlocked any new characters in Gloomhaven yet despite having played 8? 9? scenarios. One player has "kill a bunch of bandits/cultists", one has "N scenarios > #50" and two have geographical ones. Did we just get bad luck in the draw or does it usually take a while to unlock anything?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lichtenstein posted:

It's not awful, but it's repetitive, too long, and there may be a single dominant strategy.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What boardgames have good online multiplayer windows (or browser) versions? I know that Dominion, TS, Ticket to Ride, and Puzzle Strike do, but Splendor does not.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Impermanent posted:

spoilers on sun symbol:
What a fun take on the paladin concept. I like that this support/melee class focuses mostly on giving allies stronger attacks, with brief moments of invulnerability. Looks like a lot of fun to play as or with in a party, although I think the relatively slow movement speed early on will still make it tricky. I never play support-like classes, but I'd play this one in a heartbeat.

more talk about the sun symbol - I've been playing as her for 10+ scenarios, getting her to level 7 this weekend:

- you can play the sunkeeper as support, but it hits like a truck - aside from holy strike, which you'll eventually want to get rid of, every single one of her attacks is 4+ base strength. My group is pretty focused with 2 damage, 1 cursing support, and me tanking/hitting hard. we split the heals out, but unless I want to end a scenario at or near max health, I've only been in danger, health-wise, 2-3 times.

- the single most important thing you need to do is gather the money (~100G) to add a +1 enhancement to Defensive Stance. this makes you the single best tank in the entire game. after that, upgrade the movement on any card you're planning on keeping; you won't regret it.

- upgrade cards - because you'll have defensive stance on most of the time, emphasize new cards that include high movement in addition to other attacks. Practical Plans is one of the best level 2 upgrades in the game.

- perks - rolling light generation is better than it sounds - eventually you'll get gear that allows you to consume light to add either +2 to an attack or +3 to shields. Until you get those items, focus on self healing and self shielding after removing negative cards.

I got more if y'all want it.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

head58 posted:

We haven't unlocked any new characters in Gloomhaven yet despite having played 8? 9? scenarios. One player has "kill a bunch of bandits/cultists", one has "N scenarios > #50" and two have geographical ones. Did we just get bad luck in the draw or does it usually take a while to unlock anything?

Do you have a reputation >=10 in either direction? Because you get a box open for both of these options. Check the back of the rulebook for them.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

head58 posted:

I had the 'kill a bunch of cultists/bandits' goal - when picking scenarios I tried to steer us toward ones with bandits/cultists, and I asked my teammates to leave them to me and focus on other enemies if possible.

We also had the 'N scenarios > 50' goal in the group and he was the last of our original characters to retire.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

head58 posted:

It takes a long time to unlock new classes--we've gotten a fair ways in, and still haven't retired anyone--with a slightly different choice of quests we would have (donate X times vs. see X people get exhausted, both unlock the same thing but our Tinker went with the Exhaustions), and one of our players has been absent enough that their quest hasn't had a ton of progress (15 check marks from combat goals). The one goal I'm not the happiest with is my own, which is two missions in the swamp. It sounds easy, but there's not many missions that take place there, and they're very scattered down different quest lines.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Great Western Trail is good but it's long (1hr per player, even longer for first plays) and is like the Rube Goldberg machine of engine builders so you have to be okay with that. It's not an elegant game, but it plays better than it reads and is thematic enough. It's definitely nothing like Caylus other than having the players build out the spaces on the board.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
I played my first game of Puerto Rico on boardgamearena. Game ended with scores of 52, 52, 51. I had 7 for the tiebreaker, second was at 4. My strategy was Diversify my production, build warehouses, get guild hall. I am so glad I read the OP and found this site. I still think I like Stone Age better because it feels less complicated and it reminds me of Lords of Waterdeep.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Roshambo posted:

I played my first game of Puerto Rico on boardgamearena. Game ended with scores of 52, 52, 51. I had 7 for the tiebreaker, second was at 4. My strategy was Diversify my production, build warehouses, get guild hall. I am so glad I read the OP and found this site. I still think I like Stone Age better because it feels less complicated and it reminds me of Lords of Waterdeep.

It sounds like you enjoy the Worker Placement mechanic. I don't know if there are online adaptations, but you should look out for Viticulture Enhanced Edition, and potentially Dungeon Lords/PEts (I haven't played petz myself).

Lords of Waterdeep is solid, but it has some issues which are better addressed in other games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Roshambo posted:

Try Keyflower. It mixes worker placement with bidding and town/tableau building via tile placement.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

It sounds like you enjoy the Worker Placement mechanic. I don't know if there are online adaptations, but you should look out for Viticulture Enhanced Edition, and potentially Dungeon Lords/PEts (I haven't played petz myself).

Lords of Waterdeep is solid, but it has some issues which are better addressed in other games.

I like worker placement games and pretty much all games. Unfortunately I work evenings so I don't get many opportunities to play with a group. Really want to try Blood Rage because I like drafting mechanics and I have seen people raving about how great it is.

Bottom Liner posted:

Try Keyflower. It mixes worker placement with bidding and town/tableau building via tile placement.

I will definitely give that a try, found it on the site.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
GWT had a steep learning curve for me and my wife but once we figured out the different strategies we had no problem with it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

head58 posted:

We didn't unlock our first new character until our 9th scenario, and that was with us agreeing to push heavily to get one character unlocked (the symbol looked very cool.)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone had a game go missing in the post after buying from CSI? Just curious what they do(if anything) if it doesn't arrive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I did. 3 days after tracking showed delivery I emailed and they rushed me another copy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Lichtenstein posted:

It's a rondel movement/hand management game where you need steadily better hands at the end of every rondel, a steadily advancing parallel track or you'll lose most of the value of your hands, and probably to set down some spaces of your own in the rondel or you'll hit big dead zones of other people's spaces.

It seems pretty well paced in regard to itself in that if you gun for the top of each advancement track you will see it pay off at least once before the game's over. It's an interesting synthesis of mechanics, but the broad base means people are more likely to find some particular element not to taste.

My recommendation is to watch somebody's playthrough - the Heavy Cardboard people did a neat one - and if you want to see it keep going after half an hour or so, you'll probably be cool with the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tales of Woe posted:

Great Western Trail is good but it's long (1hr per player, even longer for first plays) and is like the Rube Goldberg machine of engine builders so you have to be okay with that. It's not an elegant game, but it plays better than it reads and is thematic enough. It's definitely nothing like Caylus other than having the players build out the spaces on the board.

We've played GWT many many times with four and it's NEVER lasted hours, more like two. How are you playing???

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Shadow225 posted:

Noting that Puerto Rico is a role selection game, not a worker placement game.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tai posted:

Anyone had a game go missing in the post after buying from CSI? Just curious what they do(if anything) if it doesn't arrive.
I had an entire box of games go missing last summer. It had the right address, and FedEx showed it as "Delivered" at a time I was not only home, but sitting about ten feet from the front door. If anyone had left and/or stolen a package, my dog would have gone nuts.

I have no doubt that FedEx mis-delivered it, but CSI replaced the order (a couple of weeks later - they had to file a claim with FedEx).

So, yay CSI, boo FedEx, I guess.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
New Dominion Alert(tm), named Nocturne

quote:

You've always been a night person; lately you've even considered becoming a vampire. There are a lot of advantages: you don't age; you don't have to see yourself in mirrors anymore; if someone asks you to do something, you can just turn into a bat, and then say, sorry, I'm a bat. There are probably some downsides though. You always think of the statue in the town square that came to life and now works as the tavern barmaid. The pedestal came to life, too, so she has to hop around. The village blacksmith turns into a wolf whenever there's a full moon; when there's a crescent moon, he turns into a chihuahua. That's how this stuff goes sometimes. Still, when you breathe in the night air, you feel ready for anything.

quote:

There are Night cards, which are played after the Buy phase; Heirlooms that replace starting Coppers; Fate and Doom cards that give out Boons and Hexes; and a variety of extra cards that other cards can provide.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

head58 posted:

Yeah - they're all over the map on time, and some are quite random (eg. some require swamp missions, which you might just run into, or may not hit for a long time). There has been some changes to some of these for second edition (as well as shortening the prosperity track) - it may be worth using those changes now.

We're just about to unlock our last class, and it coincides with us just starting to get tired of the game. Obviously I still give the game many, many thumbs up, but here's my list'o'negatives (mild spoilers):

1. Lots of party compositions tend towards repetitive tactics - shield up your tank, have him tank in a chokepoint (door/whatever) while other people support/use-ranged-attacks/jump-in-and-invis/whatever. It's not that this sucks... but it'd be funner if you were pulled in more different directions by mission, enemy or character design.
2. Stacking up stamina potions (minor+major+pendant+utility belt+etc..) is super effective (they're pretty much first items on every character), but also means you don't have to worry about budgeting your "good moves" much - and means you get much more repetition in play. I think play would be more interesting without them being so strong.
3. Enhancements aren't costed evenly. Adding a Strengthen to something like a Level 1 Move+Heal is way too good of a value and, again, ends up being the first thing you do on too many characters (except the ones where you buff a Shield or Retaliate, which are also bonkers). Other enhancements that seem like they would be fun end up costing way too much (higher level cards/multiple-target modifiers are often prohibitively costed, while many wouldn't actually be that strong).
4. All the characters we've played end up being interesting, but some have some level stretches (especially early) where they're super monotonous to play, and many have actions or whole mechanics that don't really seem to do enough (eg. lots have constant buffs or other lose cards that seem very unlikely). It's fine if something is situational (assuming it's also interesting), but it's boring to be stuck playing a bunch of your cards as basic attacks again and again because you just don't have anything else to pick.
5. Summons are fiddly (even with custom minis, I can't imagine how annoying it would be to play Summoner with the dumb colored discs), and especially the melee minions don't scale well enough at later levels.
6. Lots of the items are terrible (eg. lots of the non-movement boots are hyper-bad). There's a real shortage of interesting stuff for ranged characters to get. Partly the problem with items is that even the ones that could work are overshadowed by the OP stuff (eg. Goggles are good design, but they're outclassed by Pendant of Dark Pacts and/or Strengthen enhancements). Too few characters end up with real interesting/different choices on item builds.
7. There isn't a ton of rules problems (being a co-op helps), but the templating is pretty weak (compared to a Dominion or MtG) meaning sometimes you're kind of guessing at designer intention. I'd really like more consistent language on when something is a choice, when it's a triggered effect, exactly when you can make certain choices and what actions you're modifying with what, etc...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Toshimo posted:

What boardgames have good online multiplayer windows (or browser) versions? I know that Dominion, TS, Ticket to Ride, and Puzzle Strike do, but Splendor does not.

Sirlin's other main game, Yomi, also has a really good online client, and even a Steam version where you just buy all the decks at once (then all the expansion decks if you care).

Otherwise BoardGameArena has lots of good games on it and they're all rules enforced. It's also free barring 1-2 games unless you want to pay for stat tracking. Some personal recommendations for BGA are Caylus, Keyflower, Can't Stop, Jaipur, Troyes, and Lords of Xidit.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

taser rates posted:

New Dominion Alert(tm), named Nocturne

oh my goodness

I like Dominion a lot, and I hope they are able to implement the new one online, since that's how I do almost all my Dominioning

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Steam: Rails to Riches. It's on Steam, Android and iPhone, and I'm p sure you can access same account from all those devices if you need to make your moves on the move sometimes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

oh my goodness

I like Dominion a lot, and I hope they are able to implement the new one online, since that's how I do almost all my Dominioning

The plan, per one of the devs, is to have Nocturne available online day of release.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Toshimo posted:

http://play.boardgamecore.net is a barely adequate browser-based multiplayer interface. However, it supports 2 of my favorite games: Food Chain Magnate and Wir Sind Das Volk! It also supports Antiquity, which I have never played.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Descent is giving me a conflict

on the one hand, cool miniatures and fun little boards to recombine and a RPG in a box

on the other, wtf why do I have to buy all these lieutenant minis and why are they all out of print

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

There are rumors that FFG is giving up on Descent. No idea how much stock to put into it, but the fact that so much is out of print with no reprints scheduled lends some credence.

And really there's no reason to get those guys unless you HAVE to have the minis. The extra stuff in the package is generally poo poo, and they don't add very much to the app either.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I saw some generally positive comments searching the thread for Dogs of War but nothing much detailed. How has it stood up as a game? Worth getting during a sale? I like highly interactive Euros (like Keyflower, Caylus etc) and it seems like it would fit the bill.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crackbone posted:

There are rumors that FFG is giving up on Descent. No idea how much stock to put into it, but the fact that so much is out of print with no reprints scheduled lends some credence.

And really there's no reason to get those guys unless you HAVE to have the minis. The extra stuff in the package is generally poo poo, and they don't add very much to the app either.

Oh, I'd just like to have the relevant leuitenants for the base game. Technically they're all listed as at the printer's on FFG"s website . . . And like $50+ on eBay. So the smart move is just to wait, it's just annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Got our first play of Inis in the other day. 3-player game using the recommended "discovery" setup (starting with cove/valley/plains and with certain territories put toward the bottom half of the stack). Some observations:

Not much passing. I have heard/suspect that passing is important for getting your timing right (especially stuff like drawing out Geis). I needed to emphasise the importance/utility of passing more in my rules explanation.

I think one of our players learned the hard way that absolutely flooding a territory with clans is a waste of time (at one point he had about 6 clans in the one territory), because if everyone else leaves they're just dead weight (which is what happened when he'd killed everyone there). I suspect he was expecting the game to be far more about conquest than it turned out to be (memories of Risk, maybe).

Players were in general aggressive, normally choosing to attack in clashes rather than withdraw, to everyone's detriment. People were also (I think) too willing to discard actions rather than remove clans (our third player especially was super averse to losing clans, so she ended up having very action-poor rounds). Again, I think this is because players went in with a sense that beating up other people was going to be how you got yourself into a winning position.

Epic tales are very powerful/useful! The player who eventually won was the only one who made extensive use of them, and they let him chain together some vicious plays (such as starting a clash in a festival territory and designating me the instigator, forcing me to immediately lose a clan).

Our third player (my girlfriend, who is my main game partner) really does not like "dudes on the map" games, I think because she doesn't like 1) the feeling of being attacked in a more-than-two-players scenario (we do Tash-Kalar high form and 2p Dominant Species fine), and 2) is averse to losing her dudes/clans. So she wasn't really keen on the game, but I think that's also in part because we were still trying to get a feel for how to play and how the draft connects to the season phase; i.e., any action you didn't draft is probably going to get used by someone else.

Our second player recognised early on that I was going for a dispersed win (having clans in six territories) and quickly dug me out of some of those territories. He eventually won just with a Chieftain victory after some expensive clashes. I was out of actions to stop him, and the third player didn't have enough actions on their cards to dig him out by the end of the season. I love the thought behind the game, though I wish we'd played another one right away so we could get a better handle on how it plays.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 4, 2017