Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

We just have to make sure the Vizier doesn't marry the Sultan's daughter, and everything should be fine. He's too old anyway.

Edit: What's our devastation look like Hashim?
Whoops, quoted myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015
Let's go with A because it's full revolution or nuthin' :v:

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Edit: What's our devastation look like Hashim?
Whoops, quoted myself.

It's worse in places like al-Mansha and Tulaytullah, which have been repeatedly freed and captured again, but most of the rebel-occupied provinces are still between 1 and 5%. With France out of the war, most of northern Iberia has already begun to recover.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I don't know if it makes sense to assume most of the rebels died; the stackwiping of rebels might just mean that the army broke as a fighting force after defeat. So 20000 losses could be interpreted as like 4,000 casualties and 16,000 peasants making GBS threads their pants and scattering instead of retreating.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

punched my v-card at camp posted:

I don't know if it makes sense to assume most of the rebels died; the stackwiping of rebels might just mean that the army broke as a fighting force after defeat. So 20000 losses could be interpreted as like 4,000 casualties and 16,000 peasants making GBS threads their pants and scattering instead of retreating.

Could also explain why the rebels kept popping up.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Updated tally:

A - We Refuse Him - 11 - ThatBasqueGuy, Crazycryodude, Agean90, Raserys, Weebus, Mountaineer, Sinner Sandwich, TheFlyingLlama, Slaan, tunapirate, mcclay.

B - We Accept Him - 24 - Talas, Lord Cyrahzax, TyrsHTML, devildragon777, RZApublican, Frionnel, Crazycryodude, unwantedplatypus, Yvonmukluk, Captain Oblivious, WilliamAnderson, GunnerJ, Mountaineer, Soup du Jour, Hitlers Gay Secret, Grizzwold, Erwin the German, Ralepozozaxe, Technowolf, paragon1, AJ_Impy, HiHo ChiRho, catlord, Zakrelo.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Thirty Years War accounted for approximately 3,000,000–11,500,000 casualties altogether, with the average German state losing 25% to 40% of its population. This civil war is absolutely devastating, and proportionally equal to the TYW in terms of casualties thanks to Iberia's smaller population, but in terms of sheer numbers the HRE has got us beat.

Not that it matters, because we just became the Sick Man of Europe, and the rest of the subcontinent is looking hungry.

Also, B.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I changed to B after seeing the stability tab, I'll go edit my original post to make that clearer

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

I'm pretty sure that it's a general rule in Paradox games that the casualties listed aren't all combat deaths, most of them are probably just prisoners of war or fleeing or something. Otherwise you can end up with Victoria 2 battles where hundreds of thousands die in a single fight.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Hashim posted:

Otherwise you can end up with Victoria 2 battles where hundreds of thousands die in a single fight.

That's like the one time it can be true though.

EDIT: Forgot you can't actually nuke in Vicky 2.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
merchants! :argh:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
As much as I'd like to blame everyone left, right and centre, I also know that right now we have other things to be worrying about. A vote for B is a vote for a stable Andalusia.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Never back down. Never surrender.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hashim posted:

Updated tally:

A - We Refuse Him - 11 - ThatBasqueGuy, Crazycryodude, Agean90, Raserys, Weebus, Mountaineer, Sinner Sandwich, TheFlyingLlama, Slaan, tunapirate, mcclay.

B - We Accept Him - 24 - Talas, Lord Cyrahzax, TyrsHTML, devildragon777, RZApublican, Frionnel, Crazycryodude, unwantedplatypus, Yvonmukluk, Captain Oblivious, WilliamAnderson, GunnerJ, Mountaineer, Soup du Jour, Hitlers Gay Secret, Grizzwold, Erwin the German, Ralepozozaxe, Technowolf, paragon1, AJ_Impy, HiHo ChiRho, catlord, Zakrelo.

I'm voting for A too.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Well.

That was quite a shitshow.

B.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
loving french super kings out of nowhere

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
For what its worth, I took Utman's Aragonese and Castilian support to be from sunni governers ruling over large dhimmi populations. They don't want to be deposed so they throw their weight in with the Sultan.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
b

Less swords more plow shares!

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
I vote A. No pulling out unless we have total victory.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
I put my vote towards A - We Refuse Him.

gently caress 'em.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

I say B. Don't think of it as giving up on Sunni Islam - consider it as not giving up our dreams of a Jizrunid Caliphate! The Ulema has never had greater opportunity, even if we have to modify some prayers and learn some new Hadiths.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
B.

Aljadid Mars, First of his name.

By the grace and light of Allah, you people are the worst whiners! I spend 300 years as a hermit in Granada to come back to this nonsense. Well, let me give you a reminder: once there was no Al-Andalus, once there was but a tiny Taifa, a speck at the south end of Iberia named Cadiz. There is no defeat that is final, no loss that is insurmountable. All we need do is persevere.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Wait, what the hell happened to Japan? They actually lost territory to some nobody northeastern Asian power? Wow, East Asia by and large is in a shitshow.*

*with the obvious exception of the Red Turbans gobbling up even more of Korea. Seriously, I want to buy this game and download your mod just to play as them right now.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Once I realized that Jianzhou sounds shockingly similar to G. I. Joe when you say it out loud, I've been unable to prevent myself from rooting for them.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Once I realized that Jianzhou sounds shockingly similar to G. I. Joe when you say it out loud, I've been unable to prevent myself from rooting for them.

Well, knowledge of the divine is half the battle. :eng101:

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

My favourite thing here is Beninese Taiwan.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I've been loyal forever, highness!

the JJ posted:

I'll join the pretenders faction.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'll go with B.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"
Let's go with A.

For no discernible reason.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jeez, Hashim, are you alright? Do you need a hug? Have a hug.

:roboluv:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been wondering, how much of this is stuff that sort of spontaneously happens or arises because of poor life choices, and how much is specifically modded to happen? I never played EU4 but that's a hilarious dogpile.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been wondering, how much of this is stuff that sort of spontaneously happens or arises because of poor life choices, and how much is specifically modded to happen? I never played EU4 but that's a hilarious dogpile.

A bit of both. For example the Fitna of al-Andalus was a modded disaster (though it's pretty much adapted from the English Civil War disaster), but you can't really predict who's going to be declaring war on you before even starting the game, so everything in the previous update came together to become a bit of a dogpile, so yeah.

Edit: I will add though that things aren't as apocalyptic as some people seem to think. There's still 140 years left in EU4, we're the birthplace of manufactories and primed to become the birthplace of the industrial revolution, and we still have control over some of Iberia's richest cities. It's going to be an upward climb, but we'll almost definitely be a great power come vicky.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 4, 2017

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Not if the merchants keep running things we won't :argh:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Slaan posted:

Not if the merchants keep running things we won't :argh:

no jihad but class jihad

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Jesus christ, this update.
I just want to see Iberia prosper ;_;

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
This feels more like the Spanish Civil War than anything. We even had a pseudo-fascist leader.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Agean90 posted:

no jihad but class jihad

Qft

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012

Hashim posted:

A bit of both. For example the Fitna of al-Andalus was a modded disaster (though it's pretty much adapted from the English Civil War disaster), but you can't really predict who's going to be declaring war on you before even starting the game, so everything in the previous update came together to become a bit of a dogpile, so yeah.

The EU4 AI is also pretty good at recognising weakness. Previous wars and rebellions had already drained manpower and with the new revolts it would probably have sat at 0 this entire decade. Anyone intrested in Andalusian territory and/or considering them rivals was very likely to go to war as soon as they thought they could win. (I'm actually not sure how heavily the AI weighs opposition debts in those calculations - probably not too heavily giving the amount of debt the AI's themselves can run around with on occasion - but they probalby don't help either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This feels more like the Spanish Civil War than anything. We even had a pseudo-fascist leader.

Are you saying Cromwell wasn't proto-fascist?