Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I wonder how many people got what they wanted once proof of a pig flying was put out there.

"Technically it's not flying, it's just *hovering*."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2omx0uvl0WU

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Starr seems really awesome as a villain, and I will enjoy his presence a lot more then SoK who didn't really have that goofy / funny vibe about him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krispy Kareem posted:

There are no good guys.

You could say there are no smart guys either.
OK, so apparently it's not going over my head, because I got that. Thanks.

Diddie posted:

You should re-watch that scene
I'd rather not, I didn't think it was that great a movie. :shrug:

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, we're getting The Messiah, too. I really hope it's someone off-the-wall like Gilbert Gottfried.

It's probably gonna be Seth Rogen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Castor Poe posted:

It's probably gonna be Seth Rogen.

Or James Franco. :ohdear:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or James Franco. :ohdear:

I wonder if his part will be as long and meaty as his recent appearance in that lovely Alien movie

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Tiggum posted:

OK, so apparently it's not going over my head, because I got that. Thanks.

I'd rather not, I didn't think it was that great a movie. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BvoO-dpN_Q

He didn't fail the test

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I feel like I'm not supposed to like Starr, but here I am.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Firstborn posted:

He carried the comic, it's only fair he carries the show, too. I can't remember much of Jesse's dialog, but I sure as gently caress remember Starr's.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Firstborn posted:

You're totally supposed to like him. So far he's been an underdog and you can tell he's literally and figuratively seen some serious poo poo.

It was only hinted at in the comics. He was a horn dog, but I don't think they'd played up the kink side. Or if they did it wasn't until later than I've read. I've only gotten past the Allfather part.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yes they did.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Oh yes they did.

Well the mix up with the prostitute. But like I don't recall self consummation or nipple clamps in the comic.

I stopped reading around the time he distracted Jessie with a butt toy.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well the mix up with the prostitute. But like I don't recall self consummation or nipple clamps in the comic.

I stopped reading around the time he distracted Jessie with a butt toy.

clamps? them doggies is pierced dude

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

zeal posted:

clamps? them doggies is pierced dude

Think he's talking about comic Starr. He didn't have any piercings, but did have some strange desires, like pissing in prostitutes faces, etc. His biggest sexual deviancy came after one of his Grail associates (Hoover, the black driver of the van on the show, presumably) is asked to hire him a prostitute for the night. Hoover, knowing nothing about prostitutes, hires a dude, who ends up taking care of Starr with the ol' how's yer father. Starr is horrified and feels as if he's been raped at first, but slowly realizes that he enjoyed it, and ends up paying his prostitutes to use a strap on. That's the aforementioned butt toy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's also Stick your head down the toilet, I'm coming

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Didn't he? You're obviously seeing something in that scene that I'm not. :shrug:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Tiggum posted:

Didn't he? You're obviously seeing something in that scene that I'm not. :shrug:

He passed, but Zed came to the conclusion that he still wouldn't make a good agent because of his behavior/tone

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh god, this is gonna become 'a thing,' isn't it. :cripes:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

He passed, but Zed came to the conclusion that he still wouldn't make a good agent because of his behavior/tone

Yeah. I think it's fairly obvious from the reactions of the other candidates in chair/table scene that the "test" wasn't actually what was on the paper.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
question

Cassidy has been asked by his son to make him a vampire.

What are preacher vampires like in the comic verse?

obviously they burn up in sunlight and guzzle blood, and they regenerate, but is Cassidy a relatively "nice vampire" when compared to the mean average?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

shades of eternity posted:

question

Cassidy has been asked by his son to make him a vampire.

What are preacher vampires like in the comic verse?

obviously they burn up in sunlight and guzzle blood, and they regenerate, but is Cassidy a relatively "nice vampire" when compared to the mean average?

Compared to comic Cassidy, show Cassidy is a goddamned saint. I mean, seriously - show Cassidy goes out of his way not to kill, only doing it when desperate for blood/sustenance or in defense of himself or ~his mates~. In the comic, Cassidy was bitten by a 'swamp hag' near the turn of the century and became a vampire - to my recollection he doesn't 'turn' anyone, since generally when he feeds he makes sure it's lethal. But in the comic, because he's lonely, he takes advantage of Tulip being depressed (for reasons that might become a big spoiler, so I won't post them here), and turns her into a junkie so she can't/won't leave him. Some sub-character in the comics as I recall said he didn't think Cassidy was evil, just 'weak.'

In the show, it's Jesse and Tulip who are the biggest pieces of poo poo thus far. My impression is that show Cassidy is one of those "shows you the night of your life but you can't remember his name a week later" kind of guys, and up until this point he's been content to be that because it probably punctuates the boredom of immortality. In the comic, you really don't give a tin gently caress what happens to Cassidy, but here he's the only true protagonist. It's weird.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 4, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In the show, it's Jesse and Tulip who are the biggest pieces of poo poo thus far. My impression is that show Cassidy is one of those "shows you the night of your life but you can't remember his name a week later" kind of guys, and up until this point he's been content to be that because it probably punctuates the boredom of immortality. In the comic, you really don't give a tin gently caress what happens to Cassidy, but here he's the only true protagonist. It's weird.

Outside of his willingness to just eat people's pets (dick move, bro) he really is the moral center on the show. I'm surprised to learn he's not in the comics. He's one of the only people I'd say is pretty much a good guy on the show at the moment.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Outside of his willingness to just eat people's pets (dick move, bro) he really is the moral center on the show. I'm surprised to learn he's not in the comics. He's one of the only people I'd say is pretty much a good guy on the show at the moment.

I do have to say that even in the comics, Cassidy doesn't kill indiscriminately, it's just that being around comic Jesse generally leads to a lot of people threatening him or pissing him off.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Also notable that in all of Preacher the comic we see two other vampires. One's the swamp hag that turns Cass who shows up for all of one panel, the other is a wanker. There's not a vampire community or anything, it seems to be a relatively rare condition (Cass walks the earth for a century and meets this one guy) and each vampire seems to just figure it out as they go. Honestly if you think about it the whole vampire angle is kind of a bizarre inclusion to begin with.

The storyarc with the wanker ("is that one of the more Western-European translations?") is actually pretty good and worth reading. It's a shame that we don't seem to be getting it in the show. If any backstory was worth spending an episode on it's that one and they were already shooting in New Orleans. It's called Cassidy: Blood and Whiskey, collected in the Dixie Fried TPB, if you want to track it down.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

My Lovely Horse posted:

The storyarc with the wanker ("is that one of the more Western-European translations?") is actually pretty good and worth reading. It's a shame that we don't seem to be getting it in the show. If any backstory was worth spending an episode on it's that one and they were already shooting in New Orleans. It's called Cassidy: Blood and Whiskey, collected in the Dixie Fried TPB, if you want to track it down.

It's also worth noting that the whole thing is a send-up of the effeminate Anne Rice vampire cliché. If they ever do decide to include something like it in the show, they might go with a more "Twilight" vibe for modern audiences.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So whose the guy Cassidy calls after the private jet medieval weapon massacre? The guy who cancels all of Cassidy's credit cards and tells him to lay low?

It wasn't his son. Je ne parle pas anglais

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Blazing Ownager posted:

He's the moral centre of the show. He's also kind of the centre of the comic (despite being absent for whole chunks of it), in so much that ultimately it's less about the search for God and framed more around the relationship between Jesse and Cass'.

If the show continues I imagine they'll still follow the same beats and it'll be arguably more heartbreaking because Gilgun's Cass is so comparatively lovely discovering he's a monstrous, abusive sack of poo poo with a trail of ruined lives in his wake will hit even harder.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Blazing Ownager posted:

Cassidy in the comics (and the show, it seems) does not need to drink blood unless he needs to regenerate from a serious injury, so his only option aside from draining humans is to rob blood banks/hospitals or feed on animals. Blood also doesn't seem to have a euphoric effect on him, nor does have a relentless hunger for it -- he spits out some blood when it's offered to him by another vampire because he'd prefer a beer.

Other than that, he's super strong and burns up in sunlight. Something that was not touched on much in the comics but was present was that Cass had a super sense of smell, that or at least he was able to smell the presence of a vampire from several miles away.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

In the comic it's shown that Cassidy does need to feed on blood to survive, but he usually just ingests uncooked steaks.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i haven't done the math on the age Cass gave Tulip to know if he's exactly as old as he was in the comic, but I really hope we get an Easter Rising + Bog Witch Vampire vignette at some point

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think he is the same age, yeah.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arseface gettin swole :stare:

E: LOL Zagnut bars in hell, I hope that's a Beetlejuice reference

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
:lol: They have to use duct tape as toilet paper in hell

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

:lol: They have to use duct tape as toilet paper in hell

The rapist from 13 Reasons Why is in hell because he raped.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I didn't find this one quite as HOLY poo poo as the last couple episodes, but the Denis stuff is just breaking my heart. Eugene's "super Hell" tho. :allbuttons:

(I couldn't stop laughing at the caveman duct-taped to the Yule log TV.)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"They said 'yes' to the date though, didn't they?"

"And then you set them on fire." "BECAUSE IT WAS *NEVER ENOUGH*!"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Eugene and Adolf Escapist Shenanigans is a spinoff I would watch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Labes for days posted:

Eugene's "super Hell" tho.

"I told you I'd come for you, Eugene!" absolutely cracked me up :)

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, i figured Cass had tried this at least once before in his ~century of unlife.

And the more we see of Eugene and Adolf in Hell, the better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Eugene and Adolf Escapist Shenanigans is a spinoff I would watch.

Looks like we're going to get exactly that on the main show, no need for spinoff :)

• Locked thread