Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, I can't stand iOS and the Apple Watch looks like total garbage so that's definitely out, I'm seeing the end of smartwatches (for me, for now) as well.

Hi guys, I said this in the thread months ago but Yall should of got gear s3's. Smdh

I don't use any apps though other than running apps so I guess it's good for me. Pairs well with the pixel as well. Looks nice and has mega battery life and a beautiful non flat tire screen.

Also turning instead of swiping is baller as gently caress.

Good Canadian Boy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

withoutclass posted:

I've not used AW much but I just tested the notification stuff by sending him a text and it seems to work pretty well? The thing popped up full screen and easy to read. There's a lil notification dot at the bottom that tells you if you missed/unread notifications so you just swipe up and see them full screen there as well. Is this somehow a step back?

Yes, the notification used to stay on the screen until you did something with it (at least it could be configured as such). The difference between knowing you have a notification but have to act to view it compared to just glancing is enormous because the only time you care about seeing it at a glance is when you're too busy to pay attention, such as when you're driving.

It's quite literally the difference between useful and useless. If I have to act to view the notification, I'll use my phone--the whole point of having a second screen is lost if you have to interact with it to make it useful.

There is a way to make incoming notifications take up the entire screen and never dismiss but then that's not quite the same either. Peek notifications were the whole paradigm Wear was based around and now it's not even an option, it's just gone. Either notifications go completely unnoticed or they require so much effort to see that it negates the point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I always had peek turned off because I found it annoying to have half my watch face taken up by a Google now card every time the watch woke up, so usage hasn't changed much for me.

That's not to say I don't think it's stupid they took out the option, but it has zero bearing on my use case.

My wrist buzzes, I check out the notification, if it's something I really want to take action on I will (either through voice or with phone) otherwise I dismiss.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Another thing I've noticed with Wear 2.0 is that Assistant feels a lot slower to respond to OK Google than Google Now was. Frequently I'll have to tap the screen and try again because the thing says "tap the screen to talk" or something like that. Anyone else having this experience?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Hi guys, I said this in the thread months ago but Yall should of got gear s3's. Smdh

I don't use any apps though other than running apps so I guess it's good for me. Pairs well with the pixel as well. Looks nice and has mega battery life and a beautiful non flat tire screen.

Also turning instead of swiping is baller as gently caress.

The main watch apps I use are Authenticator+, Shazam, and I guess Google Now/Assistant. And I view/interact with notifications from various apps. I'm not sure all this is doable on the Gear S3 so I'm avoiding it for now.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

Yes, the notification used to stay on the screen until you did something with it (at least it could be configured as such). The difference between knowing you have a notification but have to act to view it compared to just glancing is enormous because the only time you care about seeing it at a glance is when you're too busy to pay attention, such as when you're driving.

It's quite literally the difference between useful and useless. If I have to act to view the notification, I'll use my phone--the whole point of having a second screen is lost if you have to interact with it to make it useful.

There is a way to make incoming notifications take up the entire screen and never dismiss but then that's not quite the same either. Peek notifications were the whole paradigm Wear was based around and now it's not even an option, it's just gone. Either notifications go completely unnoticed or they require so much effort to see that it negates the point.

Ah thanks, that helps clear up my confusion.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

LastInLine posted:

gently caress I hated that feature. I much prefer the watch letting me know that I have a notification (and depending on the face, how many unread notifications I have), but not displaying the content. I can then flick it up on my watch, or just check my phone. It's not monumental effort either way.

That said, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to straight up remove that as an option for those who did use it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I might have quite liked my Huawei Watch on 2.0 for IOS but got a Garmin Vivosmart3 on the weekend and literally haven't thought about going back once.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I think I just jumped ship - AW watches were just a bit too small for me. :/

Come on now, who wouldn't want a massive orange android wear watch??

e: vvvv as I'm phoneposting I'll edit out the picture and just give you the link to the massive orange watch instead.

Cultural Marxist fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 26, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Cultural Marxist posted:

Can't inline to http images, must rehost on a https host.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm honestly still wearing my Urbane 2 more than the new g-shock. I forgot about a lot of features I like, like trusted devices for auto-unlocking and google fit tracking etc.

G-shock will still be good for night time work.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm honestly still wearing my Urbane 2 more than the new g-shock. I forgot about a lot of features I like, like trusted devices for auto-unlocking and google fit tracking etc.

G-shock will still be good for night time work. covert ops

Fixed your post.

Urbane 2 still not AW2.. Zenwatch 2 got it.. not sure how I Feel.. I need to charge it all the way up and see how battery works on it now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Fixed your post.

Urbane 2 still not AW2.. Zenwatch 2 got it.. not sure how I Feel.. I need to charge it all the way up and see how battery works on it now.

Glad. You should feel overjoyed.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cultural Marxist posted:

e: vvvv as I'm phoneposting I'll edit out the picture and just give you the link to the massive orange watch instead.

Pssh only 48mm, g-shock GA710-1A is 57.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt2rxYSy2f4

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 28, 2017

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I'm holding out for the inevitable android wear carriage clock you can strap to your wrist.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
My ZenWatch3 finally updated to Wear 2.0 and aside from some hiccups during the update process it doesn't seem too bad.

The only complaints I have are that performance took a bit of a hit, and swiping left or right changes the watch face. I haven't changed a face on accident yet, though and it actually seems like a nifty way to show someone the watch when they ask about it (I get that a lot).

I was dreading the update after reading all the comments here but so far it's pretty spiffy.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Are you still getting decent battery life? I flashed back to 1.5 because 2.0 barely made it 12 hours.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Are you still getting decent battery life? I flashed back to 1.5 because 2.0 barely made it 12 hours.

I've been asking about this but nothing yet, can you link to how to flash back to 1.5?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been asking about this but nothing yet, can you link to how to flash back to 1.5?

It's pretty simple if you've used fastboot and adb before

download and extract the AW 1.5 image
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tz9bg5fggpfn2q6/swift_partition_dump_part1_MWG68.zip?dl=1

make sure your watch has adb debugging set to on
connect your watch to your charger and your charger to your computer
open a command prompt and navigate to where you extracted the 1.5 image

adb reboot-bootloader

wait for the watch to go into recovery mode

fastboot oem unlock

follow the commands on the watch to unlock the bootloader, wait for the watch to reboot

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

when you flash the system partition, it takes about 5 minutes by itself so don't disconnect thinking something went wrong

fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot format userdata
fastboot format cache

i recommend you relock the bootloader, otherwise it's going to popup a warning everytime you reboot the watch

fastboot oem lock
fastboot reboot

And you're done. You'll need to repair the watch to your phone. There's no easy way to remove the nag for the update to 2.0 unfortunately.

if you need help with adb and fastboot install here's the links for them
https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
https://dl-ssl.google.com//android/repository/latest_usb_driver_windows.zip

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The black thingy fell out of the middle button :(

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

lostleaf posted:

It was ~50% when I got home yesterday. Battery life seems shorter, but not too bad. I'll have to see over the next few days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Battery life on my Moto 360 2 seems 100% unchanged.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

It was ~50% when I got home yesterday. Battery life seems shorter, but not too bad. I'll have to see over the next few days.

Worked a 14 hour day today and came home to about 25% battery life. Not too terrible, I guess?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Some new Fossil watches with Android Wear 2.0 and no flat tire:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/08/07/fossils-third-gen-android-wear-devices-pre-order-today-one-already-available-discount/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Those look nice

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, all I want is a transflective display so I can actually read it in the sun, GPS, waterproofing and (ideally, but not absolutely necessary) NFC

Is this too much to ask?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, all I want is a transflective display so I can actually read it in the sun, GPS, waterproofing and (ideally, but not absolutely necessary) NFC

Is this too much to ask?

I'm usually an OLED whore but I'd definitely buy a second "sport" style watch if it had a transflective LCD. Reading the HWatch in direct sunlight is an exercise in futility.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

wolrah posted:

I'm usually an OLED whore but I'd definitely buy a second "sport" style watch if it had a transflective LCD. Reading the HWatch in direct sunlight is an exercise in futility.

Sony's Smartwatch 3 is pretty close, it ticks all the boxes, but it's kinda ugly, only supports AW 1.5 (and specifically states it won't get updated) and has no heart rate sensor.

Casio's "Pro Trek Smart" wsd-f20 (the first version, the f10, lacks gps) also comes kind of close in that it has a dual layer screen so it can work like a dumb watch in direct sunlight, and it ticks the other boxes. But a dumb watch in sunlight, smart watch indoors is not what i'm looking for. I want to be able to use the watch as a smart watch in direct sunlight.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Moto 360 Sport had an "AnyLight display" which was supposedly usable in direct sunlight.

Edit: youtube link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDSCiatweHo&t=216s

Rastor fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 8, 2017

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So I got an LG Style and...it's good?

Like, it torched its battery loading apps and updating but it charges at .5A so sort of expected I guess? After that seems to be alright and AW2 is fine but I have no baseline whatsoever.

The only issue I have: common interaction (Swipe left) is bound to switching watch faces which isn't a thing I'm gonna want to do ever.

My PTR broke a while ago and I've been going without since then, I'm pretty happy with this as a replacement for $140.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FormatAmerica posted:

So I got an LG Style and...it's good?

Like, it torched its battery loading apps and updating but it charges at .5A so sort of expected I guess? After that seems to be alright and AW2 is fine but I have no baseline whatsoever.

The only issue I have: common interaction (Swipe left) is bound to switching watch faces which isn't a thing I'm gonna want to do ever.

My PTR broke a while ago and I've been going without since then, I'm pretty happy with this as a replacement for $140.

That's the one that can't make it through a whole day, right?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LastInLine posted:

That's the one that can't make it through a whole day, right?

I take mine off the charger around 130pm and if I forget to put it back on it makes it until I get off work the next day around 11pm. So no?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Len posted:

I take mine off the charger around 130pm and if I forget to put it back on it makes it until I get off work the next day around 11pm. So no?

The reviews were pretty consistent about its poor battery life but of course it always comes down to if it works for you. Do you use ambient mode?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LastInLine posted:

The reviews were pretty consistent about its poor battery life but of course it always comes down to if it works for you. Do you use ambient mode?

I do not. I don't use it or the wrist turning the screen on but even with both of them I still got a full day taking it off the charger in the morning (7amish)and having it still be alive by midnight

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

That's good. I always thought it seemed like a decent Wear model and was disappointed to hear reviews make it out to be an eight hour watch. I hope the battery holds up over the long term.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it looks like I'll get ~22 hours, pulled it off charger @ 8am today and currently at 69% (nice)

I have ambient mode off but wrist activation on

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FormatAmerica posted:

Yeah it looks like I'll get ~22 hours, pulled it off charger @ 8am today and currently at 69% (nice)

I have ambient mode off but wrist activation on

I have ambient and wrist activation off and got about 32 on this latest charge. Took it off the charger yesterday before work and I was at 6% when I got home from work today.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If that's the typical real world performance I guess that reinforces what I should have already known about tech reviews.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

If that's the typical real world performance I guess that reinforces what I should have already known about tech reviews.

If Im not mistaken, the battery was poo poo on that watch until an update. If not that watch Im sure it was another that I read about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Anyone have a good recommendation for a replacement band for the ZW3?