Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Varam posted:

There is a reliable direct source (Gita Jackson) and a pretty reliable person (Austin Walker) rting her and other people tweeting about it. They aren't naming names or laying out a direct case (and Gita's tweet's make it pretty clear why not) but it's not at all hard to piece together that Nick is the topic of discussion.

Ah. Then I've raised my estimation of 'something probably happened although I don't know what' and that's sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Maybe Fisher never retweeted anything before because it kills voidfish.

Edit: Probably not, though, that seems a bit dark for TAZ. It definitely wouldn't surprise me if it takes a lot out of them though. That'd explain why it's so rare even in their home planar system.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Maybe Fisher never retweeted anything before because it kills voidfish.

In his home plane, Fisher broadcasted the existence of Magnus' duck carving.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Varam posted:

If you dig around through all the subtweeting you can trace the entire thing to Nick's Overcooked tweets; hence the tweet saying "it's not about one bad tweet." It seems like a lot of people were angry with Nick over this for some time and his dickish tweet triggered it to boil over and someone called him on it and then a collective venting took place.

As for "hard evidence" and why you're not getting any, read this thread Austin just rted: https://twitter.com/ali_west/status/893322058784006144

I read that too. But while I understand it, it means that there's nothing i can do as a Content Consumer than throw up my hands and keep going as I was before. Maybe I file this away in the back of my head if i ever hear something shady about Nick in future. Overall absolutely nothing has changed except a bunch of people are confused, frustrated, and misinformed. So pretty much your standard Twitter Experience I guess.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ariong posted:

In his home plane, Fisher broadcasted the existence of Magnus' duck carving.

Oh. Then the fact that Fisher and Fisher Jr. broadcast so much info at once probably has more to do with their going under the radar. I don't think they're dead or anything though. Johann has written a lot of music, I mean, and the journals are highly detailed accounts of a century.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

PostNouveau posted:

Twitter seems like about the worst place to try and hash it out because the UI makes it very difficult to track what the gently caress is going on. You got something to say, post it on Tumblr or something and link to it.

Agreed.

I'm just ambivalent about the whole situation. Whilst I am sympathetic to the whole "person who puts their hand up and makes the accusation puts themself in the professional and personal firing line" point (which is definitely true) I'm also cognizant of the fact that the pendulum swings both ways, and by allowing out snippets of vague details the target's personal and professional lives are directly (and potentially largely) impacted. Whilst this in no way should be construed as me taking either side (how could I, I don't have any actual information), I don't think it's fair to do so*. There are a number of channels that could be taken to release this information with varying degrees of protection or anonymity, which I think would be fairer to everyone involved.

* if someone has an accusation to make, the person accused should have the right of reply to offer their defence.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cicadalek posted:

I read that too. But while I understand it, it means that there's nothing i can do as a Content Consumer than throw up my hands and keep going as I was before. Maybe I file this away in the back of my head if i ever hear something shady about Nick in future. Overall absolutely nothing has changed except a bunch of people are confused, frustrated, and misinformed. So pretty much your standard Twitter Experience I guess.

Yeah I mean all I can really do is file this away to compare to future information. It sucks tho.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Oh. Then the fact that Fisher and Fisher Jr. broadcast so much info at once probably has more to do with their going under the radar. I don't think they're dead or anything though. Johann has written a lot of music, I mean, and the journals are highly detailed accounts of a century.

OMG, what if they're tiny now? :3:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ariong posted:

OMG, what if they're tiny now? :3:

:3:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I just picture a mirror of this thread on NeoGaf or somewhere, except everyone is convinced that it's like Dave Lang these tweets are about

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

well the earthworm jim guy did a bad thing too today so who knows, twitter is a wild place

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

inferis posted:

well the earthworm jim guy did a bad thing too today so who knows, twitter is a wild place

The Earthworm Jim guy is a known bad actor. He used to have a blog that his lawyer told him he had to stop updating.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Cicadalek posted:

I just picture a mirror of this thread on NeoGaf or somewhere, except everyone is convinced that it's like Dave Lang these tweets are about

Every rumor about Dave Lang, may he Rest In Peace, is true. Especially the ones that contradict each other.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

inferis posted:

He's been a jerk openly for a while though. Much like JonTron, he has done us a favor by clearly and loudly letting us know that we should ignore him and his work.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

oh i forgot that was the same guy as the neverhood creator

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh, hey!

More like Dick Robinson.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I feel like most people who are accused of being creeps don't have a podcast where they discuss what they think is appropriate when pursuing a relationship and are perfectly clearly able to identify creep behaviour as bad. Like that's literally what Terrace House Mafia is, several hours of extremely reasonable opinions.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The vagueness of these Nick accusations are frustrating. I really hope it's either not true or it's been blown out of proportion.

Then again, he's yet another guy that got a lot of attention early in his life and obviously wasn't pulling a lot of ladies back in school. Then he gets a semi-coveted job in a popular market where he has women peers who share his interests. That's usually a recipe for creepdom.

Additionally, Ali West has been very cool to me on Twitter and doesn't seem to be a person that likes to stir up poo poo.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

What if he did something inappropriate with the cheeto?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh you know he did that Cheeto dirty.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Inzombiac posted:

Then again, he's yet another guy that got a lot of attention early in his life and obviously wasn't pulling a lot of ladies back in school. Then he gets a semi-coveted job in a popular market where he has women peers who share his interests. That's usually a recipe for creepdom.
This is about where I landed for what it's worth. He does definitely have the recipe of a more successful infinitely funnier Tim Buckley.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
For those saying "Well, what do we do about it?" here's a nice thread

https://twitter.com/ali_west/status/893339560050143232

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

something something ethical consumption under capitalism

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

EDIT: Nah nevermind

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 4, 2017

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Inzombiac posted:

Oh you know he did that Cheeto dirty.

Cheeto soup

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Does nick have a big following outside of the mcelroy periphery because I feel like that group would be way more willing to disown him than go after the accuser or whatever

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

but this wouldn't be only fans responding here, gamergate is a thing remember

unless they have a rock solid case then they women get torn apart when making public accusations and there isn't really evidence to show for (just as an example) "like 10 of my friends have told me about how gross this dude was to them when they worked together"

inferis fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 4, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Organza Quiz posted:

I feel like most people who are accused of being creeps don't have a podcast where they discuss what they think is appropriate when pursuing a relationship and are perfectly clearly able to identify creep behaviour as bad. Like that's literally what Terrace House Mafia is, several hours of extremely reasonable opinions.

Several prominent male "feminists" have been outed as being harassers. Here's one. I remember several others in the last few years. It's actually a pretty effective lure -- [dude] is an awesome person with good politics, therefore I can hang with him with no problems. Surprise!

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

I suppose it's potentially easier to identify unhealthy behavior by others than to introspect on it sometimes though. I don't know if I'm dogpiling or being charitable, but it would be a positive outcome if this resulted in Nick/theoretical other person indulging in some frank self-examination.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

inferis posted:

but this wouldn't be only fans responding here, gamergate is a thing remember

unless they have a rock solid case then they women get torn apart when making public accusations and there isn't really evidence to show for (just as an example) "like 10 of my friends have told me about how gross this dude was to them when they worked together"

Yeah, and women know this, and in small, hermetic fields, this kind of stuff gets communicated through backchannels and becomes "known" to a certain in-group much, much before it goes public-facing.

In the example I'm familiar with, Canada had a prominent radio host face rape accusations a few years back, and those accusations being made public is what prompted a flood of people telling their own stories in a public way, but to people in and tangential to the media and political world, the word on him being a complete creep had been spreading for years and years. I'd personally heard about him being gross to women like three years before anything went public, but I wasn't about to publicly blow the whistle with "hey this beloved broadcaster is apparently a piece of poo poo, but I can't tell you why or relate any specific incidents that aren't my story to tell."

What we're seeing tonight, especially with people in the games and games media space who are credible and respected voices like Gita Jackson and Austin Walker signal-boosting the discourse around this, is really consistent with that pattern.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

PostNouveau posted:

Nobody's even said it's Nick they're vaguely talking about?

Is this what Twitter is always like?
Yea, a lot of Twitter is essentially celebrity gossip mags for the 21st century. Take my advice, stick to the parts of Twitter that just post gags or rate dogs out of 10.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
There's only one thing I know for sure right now and that's that this situation puts Griffin in a hell of an awkward position. If true it also raises significant questions about Griffin. Namely did he know, did he try to stop it, or did he enable it?

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.

zimbomonkey posted:

There's only one thing I know for sure right now and that's that this situation puts Griffin in a hell of an awkward position. If true it also raises significant questions about Griffin. Namely did he know, did he try to stop it, or did he enable it?

Find out in the series finale of the dragons and dungeons thing. Bonds matter.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, and women know this, and in small, hermetic fields, this kind of stuff gets communicated through backchannels and becomes "known" to a certain in-group much, much before it goes public-facing.

In the example I'm familiar with, Canada had a prominent radio host face rape accusations a few years back, and those accusations being made public is what prompted a flood of people telling their own stories in a public way, but to people in and tangential to the media and political world, the word on him being a complete creep had been spreading for years and years. I'd personally heard about him being gross to women like three years before anything went public, but I wasn't about to publicly blow the whistle with "hey this beloved broadcaster is apparently a piece of poo poo, but I can't tell you why or relate any specific incidents that aren't my story to tell."

What we're seeing tonight, especially with people in the games and games media space who are credible and respected voices like Gita Jackson and Austin Walker signal-boosting the discourse around this, is really consistent with that pattern.

I don't know anything except what was in that article but that guy ended up acquitted on all charges and every one of the complainants in the trial had (what appeared to be) fairly dubious flaws in their testimony... I mean, he doesn't sound like the greatest guy in the world (to put it mildly), but it seems an odd example considering how it all turned out in the end.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

zimbomonkey posted:

The real question is is Griffen a rapist if he friends with someone who has not been directly accused of anything?
To remind people Nick has not even been named in this weird haze that includes no details about what it is he even is supposed to have done.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

iajanus posted:

I don't know anything except what was in that article but that guy ended up acquitted on all charges and every one of the complainants in the trial had (what appeared to be) extremely dubious flaws in their testimony... I mean, he doesn't sound like the greatest guy in the world (to put it mildly), but it seems an odd example considering how it all turned out in the end.

It's very appropriate. Dozens of women over the years have had stories about Ghomeshi, eight women came forward to the media with specific stories of abuse spanning over a decade. It was a ~known thing~ in media circles that he was a creep, and nobody came forward in a public way until one woman came forward and opened the floodgates, because he was a powerful man who was preying on women who were in his field and couldn't afford to cross him. He wasn't found guilty in the trial for a variety of reasons, but he is absolutely an abuser.

I don't specifically know what Nick did, but the point was mostly re: this kind of story spreading within the field in backchannels, and not in any kind of public way for years at a time, until suddenly it's public all at once suddenly, in a way that's very jarring for people not in the know.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sam Sanskrit posted:

The real question is is Griffen a rapist if he friends with someone who has not been directly accused of anything?

That's why he changed his name

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Sam Sanskrit posted:

no but there are people in the mcelroy fanbase who would be uncomfortable supporting someone who worked very closely with someone who had these kinds of stories floating around if they were well known in the industry

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I do like that we seamlessly crossed from "random people called him creepy never claiming to be a victim" to "well someone retweeted it, he's basically the next Gary Glitter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

no one said anything like that?