Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sega's not doing anything. They've explicitly said they're taking a hands-off approach to owning Atlus and letting them do their own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Arist posted:

Also, yes, the loving culmination of this theme is supposed to be the main character's death but it's totally impossible to care that he's dead because he was the most boring enabler in the world. Even if the rest of Persona 3's thematic presentation was good (and I still don't think it is) this would still be a critical blow to the game's core thematic function.

This applies to every persona since dialogue-heavy presentation and silent protags don't play well

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Atlus is just making spinoffs of a popular ip. It doesn't seem all that complicated.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Motto posted:

This applies to every persona since dialogue-heavy presentation and silent protags don't play well

I dunno, I think both P3P and P4 (and definitely P5 though that game's ending isn't really about leaving people behind) did it at least slightly better to the point where it was possible to somewhat infer a personality for the protagonists.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If sega was in charge of atlus, we would've seen pc ports of persona by now

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Fuuka's thing is that her former bully whom she befriended ended up moving away, which was a a metaphor for death and being left behind after losing someone you were close to.

Except it kinda falls flat in a modern context because you can reach basically anywhere in Japan by train in just a few hours, and things like the Internet and phones exist. :effort:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not really? You don't have to be completely and permanently isolated from someone to feel sad about not living in the same immediate area as them anymore.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Arist posted:

noooooooo!!!!!

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment says hello. they weren't sallery men, but they were adults.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
From what I remember Fuuka's story is actually about how she can keep up with her bully-friend via cell phone, and that we as individuals are responsible for keeping our relationships going, which really has more to do with S.Links as a concept then the Accepting Death theme but it's not like Fuuka is remembered for her thematic relevance or any aspect of her character.

Also, it has been quite a while since I actually sat and played P3, but I'm of the impression that the reason the story is back-loaded is to back off and allow the player to explore the play space S.Links provide and let them speak for themselves, which is honestly something I wish P5 did more often. Granted this doesn't stop all but 4 S.Links being anything but "I think I should keep running on my destroyed ankle."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tae posted:

If sega was in charge of atlus, we would've seen pc ports of persona by now

sega please take control

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's backloaded and there's the game being like 3/5th's over when Aigis joins. The feeling of how backloaded it is might be compared to Makato not joining until two months after Ann.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
Question regarding what imports from SMT4 to SMT4A. I am currently going to get the Law Ending on Save 1. I got the Nihilist Ending on Save 2. New Game+ was not involved. I imported Save 2 into SMT4A. If I import Save 1 after beating the game into SMT4A does that overwrite the import data of Save 2 or do I get the rewards from both Save 1 and Save 2? It's really minor and I'm not going to worry about it one way or another, I'm just curious as to what is going to happen.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Going to go ahead and guess that Goro will be shoehorned into both of the P5 spinoffs and talk about pancakes all the time since it became a meme even though he said it only once in the actual game.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I wonder whether they'll keep up the trend of "remake characters" a la Marie, Labrys, Sho, etc.

Like, are we going to meet some kind of... "Phantom Idol" in P5DSN?

God, what a horrifying prospect.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
The Aeon social link will be the school principal, and getting to rank 10 before a certain date will change some event in the story for the worse. Also, he's in your party.

edit: and no FemPC because gently caress you

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
nothing like baseless speculation to make people hate something with barely any released information aside from a name with an insane furor, while also obsessing over it till release, and then it disappoints them by not living up to their negative expectations,

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Take your baseless speculation about our baseless speculation out of this thread, sir. It's no good here.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

cdyoung posted:

nothing like baseless speculation to make people hate something with barely any released information aside from a name with an insane furor, while also obsessing over it till release, and then it disappoints them by not living up to their negative expectations,

I too am terrified of jokes and humor.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i feel like now is the time to establish that i will only be dating one (1) girl in the persona 5 re-release

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Earnestly posted:

The Aeon social link will be the school principal, and getting to rank 10 before a certain date will change some event in the story for the worse. Also, he's in your party.

edit: and no FemPC because gently caress you

I don't think the principal will be in either of the spinoffs tbh.

Ruggington posted:

i feel like now is the time to establish that i will only be dating one (1) girl in the persona 5 re-release

Yeah, i'll probably date Sae when they add her as an option too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cdyoung posted:

the base for my speculation is "the Persona 4 spin-offs ruin that game's cast for me"

I'll be happy to be wrong but I'm not going to ignore the track record here

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The secret is to not play every spinoff.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is the principal a hot older lady too

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm about to start Persona 5, is there anything I should know beforehand? I've played P3 and P4 so I know what I'm doing, I mean more like stuff that isn't immediately obvious that I should do/not do

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

I'm about to start Persona 5, is there anything I should know beforehand? I've played P3 and P4 so I know what I'm doing, I mean more like stuff that isn't immediately obvious that I should do/not do

Feed your plant.
Get your smoothie every Sunday.
A decent amount of social links give skill-ups so go for those if you're spoiled for choice.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sell the free DLC Soma for mad cash that you can spend on equipment and healing items before your first dungeon.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Rushing the Death SL up to the point you can buy the SP-regenerating accessory will make doing dungeons in one shot a lot easier.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Don't be afraid of Morgana, even if it is almost scary how good he is.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
At certain points of the story if you interact with the chalkboard at the front of the classroom you get a free stat point

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

At certain points of the story if you interact with the chalkboard at the front of the classroom you get a free stat point

wait is this actually legit?

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

scaterry posted:

Totally forgot about this but yes this is true.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Have fun.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

scaterry posted:

yeah. idk all of the exact points because I didn't discover this until near the end of the game but when you get to the part where everyone hates the Phantom Thieves you can draw the Phantom Thieves logo on the chalkboard and get a free point of Guts

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think that might actually be the only one.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You can do it earlier but you don't get anything out of it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Arist posted:

Labrys should have been in Dancing All Night

Persona: 'Ey, I'm dancin ova here.

Poltergrift posted:

Like, are we going to meet some kind of... "Phantom idol"

Shadow dancer

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what loving smoothie

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what loving smoothie

In the Underground Walkway in Shibuya you can buy a disgusting health drink every Sunday

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Aojiru might as well be called "Green Stuff", but the ones in game range from generic "nasty health drink" to "seafood smoothie" and I don't want to imagine what kinda seafood smoothie would end up green (does seaweed count?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I was going over why I didn't enjoy Innocent Sin with some people elsewhere and a fact was brought up that didn't even occur to me in spite of its obviousness.

It's really damned easy. Game difficulty is one of those things that varies a lot from person-to-person but the fact is, I was so bored by the combat in the game that I just didn't engage with any of it and blundered my way through most of the game unchallenged. This is in sharp contrast to Strange Journey, P3 and 4, Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1.

Is Innocent Sin the easiest Atlus game?