Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SunAndSpring posted:

Darkest Paul is obviously a better person than Bastion.

1. Not racist. Bastion wants to kill all the Efheby while Darkest Paul is a friend of all peoples.

Except the Aldish, who he wants to genocide so as to accrue some political capital with the Crescian monarchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Except the Aldish, who he wants to genocide so as to accrue some political capital with the Crescian monarchy.

Eh the Alds deserve it

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bastion Winalils: Snake-fucker.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Goodbye Bastion :sadwave:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If you bleed out your memories before dying, do they ever return to the Khert?

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
Well, I for one am finding this situation more terrifying than snek-boss.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Alzheimers venom.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

isndl posted:

If you bleed out your memories before dying, do they ever return to the Khert?

If it works like the venom it's based on, no. That poo poo's gone for good.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Once again, Darkest Paul proves his superiority and power compared to the feeble author husbando that is Bastion.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

What's interesting to me here is that if a dude's primary value to you is that he knows a ridiculous number of secrets that you want, just slicing the poo poo out of him with a blade that makes you bleed memories is literally the dumbest possible thing you could do. Darkest Paul, everyone.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

What's interesting to me here is that if a dude's primary value to you is that he knows a ridiculous number of secrets that you want, just slicing the poo poo out of him with a blade that makes you bleed memories is literally the dumbest possible thing you could do. Darkest Paul, everyone.

What makes you think those memories are just bleeding out into the ether and not now being received by either whoever is holding the blade or that weird snake dude? That was what snake dude's venom was doing to that one unfortunate Ald guy, and that is what the blade was based on. Checkmate :smug:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tar_Squid posted:

What makes you think those memories are just bleeding out into the ether and not now being received by either whoever is holding the blade or that weird snake dude? That was what snake dude's venom was doing to that one unfortunate Ald guy, and that is what the blade was based on. Checkmate :smug:

It's strongly implied that the snake guy has to physically drink the leaking memories in order to gain them. So snake guy could theoretically lap up a few stray thoughts from the blade but a lot of what's leaking out is going to just be lost.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

It's strongly implied that the snake guy has to physically drink the leaking memories in order to gain them. So snake guy could theoretically lap up a few stray thoughts from the blade but a lot of what's leaking out is going to just be lost.

We'll probably find out for sure next page or so, but they did outright state earlier that they were going to use the blade to 'cut the memories out of <bishie dude>', so it is meant to somehow transfer memories. Admittedly its not yet certain if that means the blade absorbs them or if they just collect blood and viscera in a bucket or something. I would not put that second one past Cope either.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tar_Squid posted:

We'll probably find out for sure next page or so, but they did outright state earlier that they were going to use the blade to 'cut the memories out of <bishie dude>', so it is meant to somehow transfer memories. Admittedly its not yet certain if that means the blade absorbs them or if they just collect blood and viscera in a bucket or something. I would not put that second one past Cope either.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's the second one.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So, I just realized another facet of the Duane/Mathis father friction dynamic: Mathis realizes he's likely to die before Matty is fully grown.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Not likely, Quigley's guaranteed to die before Matty's grown. That's kind of like, Quigley's entire character motivation? He knows he's only got about 5 years left and is frantic to build enough money for Matty to be okay, which is why he was palling around with the red berry boys.

Plats get 30 years and he's 25, but the last years are spent in kind of a rapid-fire version of old age - he's not gonna be as healthy as he is for long.

Also we finally have a weapon that represents a real and significant threat to Duane. Only other thing that hosed him up was the silver eel.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Was unsure of the exact ages and what would be considered "fully grown" but sure. It is central to his character, but I never put together how much the idea of competition to be his son's dad could eat at him for that very reason until now.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Quigs cannot hope to defeat zombie-dad at the dadding arts. Duane has had two lifetimes of daddery. He's the most powerful dad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

Quigs cannot hope to defeat zombie-dad at the dadding arts. Duane has had two lifetimes of daddery. He's the most powerful dad.

Dad speedrunner versus Dad endurance run

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Motherfucker posted:

Meanwhile, Quigley isn't even going to get one.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Duane is a cool dad except he gets violent at night. He's not gonna calm you down after a nightmare. :ohdear:

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
His new girlfriend is kind of weird. I've heard about some of the guys she used to see before, and well...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch12/ch12_71.html

Today's update is the best page ever IMO.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I still don't know why there are naked men humping the angry dome.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

They're senet beasts, specifically Stormbringers. They're the male counterpart to the Water Women we saw earlier. Specifically, they tend to have crazy sex with them which causes storms. The shield is getting in the way of them doing that, but also they are agitated about something (according to the last couple of comics). We don't know what the thing they're agitated about is yet. They aren't too bright and have virtually no memory retention, which contributes to their current behavior.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also they just want to press dong on glass like a normal person would

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Not the first group to mistake quigley for a girl I'll bet.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jeez, poor Matty.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I loving love the art on his flashbacks. Thats blood on that deck though I'm sure of it.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Oof, these last few pages. Some of the comments on the site are better at lying to themselves than Sette if they think Nary didn't sell her out.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Sette still best character though. "You I'll cut nose t'knob" what a priceless little scamp.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
So I guess that even with Sette being an unreliable narrator, her version of her dad isn't entirely fiction. I assume he still doesn't remotely care about her, but at least he's smart enough to know how to push her buttons.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
While the likely answer here is Nary's just a conman who knows his own daughter, I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a Zoldyck situation where he genuinely cares about her, you know, within the context of their entire family being a bunch of professional ne'er-do-wells, but the problem is he has an extremely distorted view on "How" one cares for their loved ones - again, part and parcel of the family business being what it is, Sharteshane being the place it is.

Still a bad dad, but more interesting in a narrative sense.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

While the likely answer here is Nary's just a conman who knows his own daughter, I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a Zoldyck situation where he genuinely cares about her, you know, within the context of their entire family being a bunch of professional ne'er-do-wells, but the problem is he has an extremely distorted view on "How" one cares for their loved ones - again, part and parcel of the family business being what it is, Sharteshane being the place it is.

Still a bad dad, but more interesting in a narrative sense.

This seems pretty consistently how he's been characterized. She's his presumptive heir in a family that firmly believes in the strong eating the weak. Nary caring about her gets her thrown in these situations with a modicum of survival skills and enough background on what's going on to have a shot at making it instead of locked in a cart with a gutful of magical hatred or whatever; Sette just mistakenly believes this means he'll ever start treating her better than he does now.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 25, 2017

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cope seems to want us to read this as a caring gesture:

http://unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/164595874200/so-i-assume-sette-is-the-one-who-said-predators

quote:

Anonymous asked: So I assume Sette is the one who said "predators don't die old" to activate the spellery, that right?

Yep. She saw the little lion tail on her name, got suspicious, gave it a good, deep sniff, and woah! Da snuck her a message!

I saw a bit of grumbling about what a coincidence this is, and it kind of is, but it’s important to ask yourself just how important it is. And it’s not, really, unless you are floundering, lonely, uncertain Sette. Nary going to great lengths to reassure his daughter when he suspected she might need the reassurance must have been an act of pure decency rather than cunning because the chances of her never finding this letter were fairly high. It contained no important instructions, no carefully guarded secrets. It was a pat on the head and an encouraging kick in the tail that it wasn’t necessary for him to provide at all.

Also: Nary-style_dadding.png

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

wtf I like nary now??

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
If you pay attention to the background flashes we've had of Nary, he's actually pretty interesting. He's smart and ambitious enough to understand he's playing a totally dead-end game by being a criminal overlord in Sharteshane. Everything Sette values becoming, Nary is already sick of being.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch06/ch06_39.html

He's definitely not a good guy, but he's probably in to something way deeper than just transporting the silver. There just hasn't been enough additional information to see exactly what's going on with him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
That's an interesting point, and the meaning behind that speech is a lot more significant now that Nary's told Sette his (presumably?) real opinions on Stockyard--Nary just wanted to wash his hands of him, but he twisted around his actual motivation to use it as a teachable moment for Sette.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
"Don't none of us die old," is a stupidly good line.

I remember reading it for the first time in like 2013 I think and whenever I start thinking about Unsounded it's always one of the first things to bubble up to the surface of my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I kind of like Nary too now though I have a bit of a soft spot for bad people in fiction who display human qualities from time to time. It's still kind of hard for me to read basically anything from Nary as entirely genuine though and I honestly wouldn't have if it weren't for word of god pointing it out as genuine. I guess it makes sense for a dude who lives his life like he does that it'd be hard to believe him even when he's telling the truth.