Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

sexpig by night posted:

I do like that we seamlessly crossed from "random people called him creepy never claiming to be a victim" to "well someone retweeted it, he's basically the next Gary Glitter"

??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's very appropriate. Dozens of women over the years have had stories about Ghomeshi, eight women came forward to the media with specific stories of abuse spanning over a decade. It was a ~known thing~ in media circles that he was a creep, and nobody came forward in a public way until one woman came forward and opened the floodgates, because he was a powerful man who was preying on women who were in his field and couldn't afford to cross him. He wasn't found guilty in the trial for a variety of reasons, but he is absolutely an abuser.

I don't specifically know what Nick did, but the point was mostly re: this kind of story spreading within the field in backchannels, and not in any kind of public way for years at a time, until suddenly it's public all at once suddenly, in a way that's very jarring for people not in the know.

No, you're right, I was only reading the surface level from the wiki article with how it ended up. He definitely seems pretty sketchy from the things that came out publicly, although from how it sounds the testimonies in the trial definitely muddied the waters of the other accusations. I agree with the general point of how things spread in the background in these sort of things, you're completely right.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i have a hard time believing the nick stuff without evidence and based on the fact the only reason i'm aware of his #content is due to him being randomly extremely nice to me

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The fact that this started by like three people in a tweet about him being evil for telling someone to shut up saying "I heard he was creepy" and spiraled into a "listen to people who say they've been victimized" thing that is good but...not what happened at first?

Like, did I miss a step? Nick called Nintendo's tech support stupid,randodude "ACTUALLY"d him, he said gently caress off, and then other randos said "yea I hear he's a creep"? Did I miss anyone actually saying anything beyond third hand "I hear"?

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

inferis posted:

no one said anything like that?

If you don't think there's something goofy about the statement "we have no idea what Nick did but if he did the thing (which we don't know what it is) we need to know when his friends knew and when" I don't know what to tell you.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 4, 2017

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

yeah but as far as i could tell this thread wasn't discussing it as a witch hunt and no one even said you're a bad person for consuming his content. i'm pretty sure most of the conversation was just, hey there's some prominent video games people vague tweeting about a person i like maybe doing some bad things and that's would be unfortunate because i like their work

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It feels like people are using this as a springboard to spread the very good and correct message of "hey reporting abuse is very hard and made a zillion times worse when the abuser has a public image" but somewhere we forgot that the thing that started it was incredibly vague talk from people not even claiming to know any victims let alone be one.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

sexpig by night posted:

Like, did I miss a step? Nick called Nintendo's tech support stupid,randodude "ACTUALLY"d him, he said gently caress off, and then other randos said "yea I hear he's a creep"? Did I miss anyone actually saying anything beyond third hand "I hear"?

Yes, there's first hand (but detail light) verification of some misdeed from Gita Jackson and various Friends at the Table people, most of which Austin Walker has retweeted. These aren't just randos, they're some of Nick's peers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Varam posted:

Yes, there's first hand (but detail light) verification of some misdeed from Gita Jackson and various Friends at the Table people, most of which Austin Walker has retweeted. These aren't just randos, they're some of Nick's peers.

I clearly missed where she did that because I follow her and Austin and all I see is a bunch of general stuff about victims having a hard time coming forward

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

It feels like people are using this as a springboard to spread the very good and correct message of "hey reporting abuse is very hard and made a zillion times worse when the abuser has a public image" but somewhere we forgot that the thing that started it was incredibly vague talk from people not even claiming to know any victims let alone be one.

This feels very specific to me, you may have different notions for what "incredibly vague" is.
https://twitter.com/bloodyhoney_/status/893257429378621440
https://twitter.com/ali_west/status/893259017635737600

And as to "randos" with "third hand I hears", we've got a current Kotaku staff writer, Gita Jackson, hinting that she may have been one of the people Nick creeped on, and signal boosting other tweets about this. We've got Austin Walker, editor-in-chief at Waypoint, signal-boosting people talking about this. This, at the very least, is a very strong indicator that there's been Talk about this behind the scenes for a while, and that people have been keeping their mouths shut about it. What you want to do with that is up to you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If Austin knew Nick was a Bad Person you'd think he would've held to his convictions and chosen to not appear on Cool Games Inc multiple times in the past year

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Quest For Glory II posted:

If Austin knew Nick was a Bad Person you'd think he would've held to his convictions and chosen to not appear on Cool Games Inc multiple times in the past year

And constantly have friendly conversations with him and boost his content and all

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

This feels very specific to me, you may have different notions for what "incredibly vague" is.
https://twitter.com/bloodyhoney_/status/893257429378621440

That clarifies it a good bit.

Like I said, part of the confusion is it's goddamn impossible to find what you're specifically looking for on Twitter. Apparently the non-vague stuff was 7 hours ago in replies.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Who are those people?

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

Who are those people?

Ali is one of the friends of Friends at the Table. The connection to this thread if she can be said to have one is that Griffen loves the poo poo out of her podcast. Cus it's good.
I have no idea who the other person is.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 4, 2017

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean it's very possible that he went on CGI, then heard about the bad poo poo from people he knew wondering whether he knew about it before he went on the show. It seems like that'd be consistent with what he's doing now, trying to signal boost people as much as possible now that stuff is starting to come out in the open.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The hosts of the Polygon Show seem fine with Nick, as do the McElroys. Don't really know if you can get a better endorsement.

Perhaps this is all misunderstanding that's being overblown?? Perhaps people misinterpret jokes when they're in text format. Perhaps people love to cut down a tall poppy?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

well why not posted:

The hosts of the Polygon Show seem fine with Nick, as do the McElroys. Don't really know if you can get a better endorsement.

Perhaps this is all misunderstanding that's being overblown?? Perhaps people misinterpret jokes when they're in text format. Perhaps people love to cut down a tall poppy?

No. Nick Robinson is the new Bill Cosby.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

No. Nick Robinson is the new Bill Cosby.

well good news then, you don't have to worry about him having any consequences at all whether he did anything or not

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Will today forever be known as the Wet Pringles Face turn?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

me, seeing someone drink Pringles: fukn perv

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

well why not posted:

me, seeing someone drink Pringles: fukn perv

That is, to be fair, a sign of a twisted soul.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

well why not posted:

You shouldn't assume that a person's coworkers know the full details of his personal life and endorse his moral character just because they happen to work together. If Nick is guilty as sort-of-charged and has been engaging in obviously bad behavior, he's probably not open about it with people he thinks would disapprove!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The Oral History Of The Rise And Fall Of the Cheeto Champ --- A Six Part Series Sponsored By Old Spice Deodorant And Blue Apron Dot Com

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Varam posted:

You shouldn't assume that a person's coworkers know the full details of his personal life and endorse his moral character just because they happen to work together. If Nick is guilty as sort-of-charged and has been engaging in obviously bad behavior, he's probably not open about it with people he thinks would disapprove!

What is he being charged with? It's been like three pages and I'm still not sure.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Someone implied Nick was a perv / creep and Twitter has kinda boosted it. Austin Walker retweeted some stuff which could be considered an implication that it's true.

That being said, it's all so nebulous and hearsay. Basically nothing has actually happened and no one is naming names or even being clear as to what they actually mean.

It's also suspect that it's cropped up directly after Nick was critical about Overcooked's port and told a rabdo to STFU.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What is he being charged with? It's been like three pages and I'm still not sure.

Being a manipulative creep who preys on women.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

As someone who is very quick to assume guilt about this kind of thing, there's honestly not a whole lot if you're looking for something specific and firsthand it's not really out there. It seems like it's gaining steam since earlier this evening so you're probably better off waiting a few days if you are more of a "listen to all the evidence" type of person

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The rumour seems to be that he's kind of a sleaze who hits on a lot of prominent women in gaming journalism and makes them uncomfortable, and that a lot of these women have told each other this sort of thing so that when one person comes out saying it, a lot of them corroborate it, and it all comes out at once and seems very sudden, when it may have been brewing for a while.

Twitter is definitely a terrible place for these kinds of discussions, because there's almost zero context or follow-up to tweets, which is how you end up with dumb people genuinely thinking babylonian Nick Robinson cheated on his wife instead of politician Nick Robinson.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Varam posted:

Being a manipulative creep who preys on women.

By doing what?

inferis posted:

As someone who is very quick to assume guilt about this kind of thing, there's honestly not a whole lot if you're looking for something specific and firsthand it's not really out there. It seems like it's gaining steam since earlier this evening so you're probably better off waiting a few days if you are more of a "listen to all the evidence" type of person

Yeah, it seems that way. I'm also usually quick to assume guilt in this situation, but right now I can't really figure out what this guy did.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Seems like it could be a range of things. Probably at least making women feel uncomfortable by hitting on them in DMs.

Hard to say whether that extends into harassment or abuse of power although this tweet points toward abusing his position

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

well why not posted:

It's also suspect that it's cropped up directly after Nick was critical about Overcooked's port and told a rabdo to STFU.

How? Are you suggesting that Overcooked's developer has ties to all these known internet personalities has orchestrated an immediate smear campaign against Nick? That seems unlikely.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gluten Freeman posted:

Twitter is definitely a terrible place for these kinds of discussions, because there's almost zero context or follow-up to tweets, which is how you end up with dumb people genuinely thinking babylonian Nick Robinson cheated on his wife instead of politician Nick Robinson.

Yeah I thought for awhile they were talking IRL stuff. Of course online harassment is awful too, but with as vague as it's all been, he might just be a thirsty motherfucker.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not, but further back a page or two in the thread someone mentioned that the indie game circuit can be a bit of a clique where favour comes & goes quickly

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

well why not posted:

I'm not, but further back a page or two in the thread someone mentioned that the indie game circuit can be a bit of a clique where favour comes & goes quickly
It very much is and popularity/signal boosting/whatever stupid crowd funding thing is most popular at the moment can rely heavily on who your friends with and what lip service you pay. It's a lot like a highschool where everyone hangs out with the nerdy kids - and it's filled with the exact same stupid highschool drama associated with that except now it also impacts people's professional lives and futures. In a vacuum someone who produces good content might never get the awareness needed to make profit but all it takes is a brief mention on a show like Adventure Zone to blow their views or sales out of the water. Inversely if a lot of popular e-celebrities start shunning someone, even just based on half-heard gossip and implications it can have the exact opposite effect.
The indie circuit - and most current digital media enterprises such as youtube, streaming and even podcasts are heavily influenced not necessarily by the quality someone can output but by who they make happiest and it's led to a situation rife with nepotism and a lot of he said/she said issues where the end result isn't judged based on what actually happened, but based on the popularity of the accusers. Just look at the past few pages even, "This guy said this..." and "Griffin likes him though!" people are slinging poo poo back and forth but no one seems to know what actually went down and no one seems to be in a big rush to actually provide any evidence either.

Speaking of the adventure zone though; I'm not really feeling this last arc and I'm kind of glad this campaign is coming to a close. I loved the series for its goofs, my favorite moments are almost all in the train arc with the Tom Bodetts and the guys just ripping into Jenkens constantly. The more serious it gets the less interested I feel, but I've listened this long I might as well hear it to the end. It feels like Griffin was the only one really talking at all this latest episode. Like, even when the players did get their chance to do something it was usually just to redo a thing until they did it right. The whole episode just felt like a really annoying scripted segment in a video game.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Not to distract from a heavy issue, but I'm listening to the latest TAZ and I can't believe Joaquin used McCree's ult.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Roach Warehouse posted:

Not to distract from a heavy issue, but I'm listening to the latest TAZ and I can't believe Joaquin used McCree's ult.

*extremely Matt Mercer voice* It's okay everyone, I have magic powers.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well that was sure two hundred new posts about Twitter gossip and untagged TAZ spoilers. Never change, forums dot something awful dot com.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

purple death ray posted:

Well that was sure two hundred new posts about Twitter gossip and untagged TAZ spoilers. Never change, forums dot something awful dot com.

Bummer about the Twitter gossip but TAZ aired 3 days ago, no need to spoiler tag any longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Apparently wires got crossed and there's another Nick Robinson involved with the BBC who cheated on his wife? I don't even know.