Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Zaphod42 posted:

And even moreso, Tenya's reason for attacking Stain was his love for his brother and his being so upset that a good hero could no longer help people because of Stain. That in itself is actually a noble hero quality, even though stain sees it as petty "revenge", stain himself is a villain no matter how you slice it and stopping him is heroic in itself.

No, Tenya is not doing the right thing there. He's putting his pride over his job. With his speed he could have easily saved Native and called for back-up, but instead nearly gets both himself and Native killed because he has to be the one to defeat Stain. He doesn't feel like he should save anyone, or rather, he puts saving someone on a lower priority to being the good younger brother that restores the family honour his brother lost. You can try to excuse this as "but he's trying to become a hero, and heroes have to stop villains, so he's doing his job right", but it doesn't work like that, not if you're endangering people in the process. Tenya's pride touches on a tangent with the job of a hero but it does not coincide with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Iida and Todoroki are really similar tbh. Both have had their family relations define themselves and then come to realize that they aren't being true to what they believe and want to be. Like Todoroki realizes that he has let his hate for his father consume and that Quirk is HIS power and he must use it fully to progress as a hero, Iida must realize that he's let his obsession with becoming like his brother consume him, not having any actual idea of what he wants to do or be other than Just Like My Brother. Iida sees how his family and the world love Tensei because of his noble spirit and Tenya wants to be the same kind of great hero. This isn't necessarily bad, it's just extremely hollow and has shades of Endeavor devoting his adult career to reaching #1 without an actual idea of what makes the #1 guy the #1 guy when Iida is capable of so much more.

In his encounter with Stain, Tenya's a young kid playing at hero and Todoroki is the perfect person to remind him to never forget what he wants to become. Fight on Iida!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dont really think Iida's problem is how he wants to be like his brother. That's like saying Deku wanting to be a hero like All Might is a major flaw. When Todoroki saves him he does that whole "set your eyes on the hero you want to be" thing and Iida remembers his "Ingenium, that's the name of the hero who will defeat you" spiel and that's treated as the moment where Iida starts resolving his issues. Because he wasn't acting like his brother he was lying to his friends, ignoring people in trouble and fighting for a selfish reason. That's not like Ingenium, that's not even like a hero.

Thankfully he recognises this and when he gets back in the fight he's not just fighting for revenge he's fighting for his friends too. He takes a knife to the arm for Todoroki and everything. He's acting like a hero again, like the brother he admires and that's a positive thing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hi I just realized that Endeavor's name is because it's got an "en" in it (Japanese for "flame").

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dont really think Iida's problem is how he wants to be like his brother. That's like saying Deku wanting to be a hero like All Might is a major flaw.

Okay but part of this arc has been Deku, too, realizing that he needs to stop thinking only in terms of All Might or he's limiting his abilities and failing to grow past his power's weakness.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That's like saying Deku wanting to be a hero like All Might is a major flaw.

It's a pretty big flaw even if it's noble. It has limited his growth up to this point and will likely limit it in the future until he fully unshackles himself from All Might and is his own hero and not a kid trying to be the PILLAR OF JUSTICE.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, they beat the drum about how Deku's fanboy reverence for All Might is actively holding him back in a lot of ways and how he needs to shed it to some degree if he's going to actually make OfA his own quirk and be a real hero of his own.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The scene where Deku tells Endeavor that just as Deku isn't All Might, Todoroki isn't Endeavor, but also pretend he said that Iida isn't Ingenium

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Off screen, Kirishima realizes that he can't only want to be Red Riot forever and Ashido begins to notice the weaknesses of the alien queen.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There are no weaknesses in Alien Queen. She even goes by the alias Pinky as an awesomeness redundancy.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Turns out Mineta hates grapes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Froppy... will idolize frogs forever because frogs rule.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Froppy is currently the only character without faults.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Turns out Mineta hates grapes

Mineta's obsession with melons is hindering him developing his grapes? I dunno.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Filler episode characters are cool looking.

The octopus dude's name is literally "Innsmouth".

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Fabricated posted:

:rock:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, anime original episode next week, which is kinda cool tbh since I feel MHA's world/characters really shine in the "slice of life" department

octopus guy rules

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpacePig posted:

If Stain ever encountered Froppy he would have to admit that All Might is not the only pure hero

Fabricated posted:

Awesome. Is he a villain I assume?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Zaphod42 posted:

If Stain ever encountered Froppy he would have to admit that All Might is not the only pure hero

Awesome. Is he a villain I assume?
I'm guessing this is Tsuyu's side-story for her internship so he could be the stowaway she busts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I'm guessing this is Tsuyu's side-story for her internship so he could be the stowaway she busts.

Yeah a bunch of aquatic heroes and villians, seems likely. Which gives them a way to do something exciting and not just a filler episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The important thing to take away is that we're getting a Tsuyu episode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah that episode looks like it will be fun. It's the kind of stuff we wanted for anime.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SpacePig posted:

Did someone say sans défauts?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He has a self-admitted fault in his inability to stop twinkling.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"fault"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Like, sure, Aoyama can't stop twinkling, but let's be honest here. He doesn't want to, and no one else should want him to either.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/toidinami/status/893247093124497409

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Deku's costume in adult proportions is freaking me out at a primal level.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Moltrey posted:

Yeah, anime original episode next week, which is kinda cool tbh since I feel MHA's world/characters really shine in the "slice of life" department

octopus guy rules
Wait don't we have that Stain aftermath episode first tomorrow?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes. Hence why he said next week, which is not tomorrow.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah I counted this Saturday, tomorrow, as part of this week and next week's Saturday will be Tsuyu's arguably canon ocean adventures

Apparently Monday is the official start of the weekday but I always thought it was Sunday, weird how that works

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dang

Also lol All Might's ringtone

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's that good good bite girl.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Sakurazuka posted:

Dang

Also lol All Might's ringtone

i had a friend in school with the exact same setup

his text message alert was him screaming full force MMMEEEESSAAAAGGGGGEEEE

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I've been waiting for the Hosu Chief of Police to show up ever since the show started and I was not disappointed, woof

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also next week is (mostly) a Tsuyu episode.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Waffleman_ posted:

Also next week is (mostly) a Tsuyu episode.

They know their audience.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Tsuyu saying "You can enjoy watching me in this anime-original episode!" is one of the most self aware I've ever seen a series be

also todoroki has no respect for cops, hes a great hero

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, she knows I will enjoy watching her. It's about time she got some focus somewhere for how popular she is.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Moltrey posted:

Tsuyu saying "You can enjoy watching me in this anime-original episode!" is one of the most self aware I've ever seen a series be

also todoroki has no respect for cops, hes a great hero

Did not expect them to say that in the preview. Anime is not usually that direct about filler.

Also, it was great to see those villains at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That line from a few episodes back about what Todoroki says to Ida about not losing sight of the hero he wants to be came up in the dub today and they translated/rewrote it pretty nicely

"You want to make your brother proud? Then stand up and be Ingenium. Become the hero he wanted you to be!"

• Locked thread