Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wow, you really do this in every thread you post in, don't you?

Hey c'mon, that one was genuine. Mostly. I ask too many questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Pollyanna posted:

Hey c'mon, that one was genuine. Mostly. I ask too many questions!

Put your korma where your mouth is

Post pictures

vermin fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 30, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

vermin posted:

Put your korma where your mouth is

Post pictures

Shore. I'll try and write a recipe too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Happy Hat posted:

Isn't it just pearl wheat, barley etc? Dried mushrooms and thyme?

I think so, but I don't know how it gets cooked so fast.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Anyway, just got back from a bachelor party in Pismo Beach. I've never eaten so many clams!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Anyway, just got back from a bachelor party in Pismo Beach. I've never eaten so many clams!

:quagmire:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tomorrow I begin my adventure in Indian food with chicken korma. That's easy enough, right? :downs: But jesus, how hard does chicken thigh freeze? I'm trying to defrost a few pieces of thigh and they're taking even longer than a chunk of corned beef does to thaw. This is all in the fridge, by the way.

EDIT: Come to think of it, why do Indian dishes all use tomato paste/crushed tomatoes if tomatoes were originally from South America? Isn't it a bit weird that all these dishes from a culture that's existed for thousands of years use an ingredient that they didn't have access to until 500 years ago?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 3, 2017

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Unlike chili peppers?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
What most people think of as traditional cooking is whatever happened to be around when they were a kid.

There are very few culinary traditions whose current form is more than a century old, and a whole shitload of them are more recent than that, having been affected by the huge political and technological changes of the mid 20th Century.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pollyanna posted:

EDIT: Come to think of it, why do Indian dishes all use tomato paste/crushed tomatoes if tomatoes were originally from South America?
It tastes good.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

mindphlux posted:

haha gently caress

actual truth

the peatiness of scotch as well

I'm pretty sure Soylent is the ultimate drinking test for Asperger's.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Loutre posted:

I'm pretty sure Soylent is the ultimate drinking test for Asperger's.

touché

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You nerds need to tell me when you visit the central coast! I make good food and I'll drink with you after work!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
speaking of beaches and travel - open goonalert, I'll be with my gal in miami next weekend. never been. suggestions? miami food goons?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

i hear there might be good cuban food there

it's on my bucket list to never set foot in florida so i dunno

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

LOL, Florida is worth a visit or two.

Just don't move there.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

mindphlux posted:

speaking of beaches and travel - open goonalert, I'll be with my gal in miami next weekend. never been. suggestions? miami food goons?

Haven't been in a year or so, but MC Kitchen is impressively good Italian with a pretty ok selection of wines, but if you aren't sick of them yet they have pretty much everything dogfish head on tap or on hand. Other than that? I dunno. Pay $800 for a bottle or jack daniels at any number of lovely clubs? I don't much like Miami.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

This Chef Is Taking a Stand Against Your Fake Food Allergies

Love it, but can't help but think that he is making himself a target for nuisance lawsuits.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

This Chef Is Taking a Stand Against Your Fake Food Allergies

Love it, but can't help but think that he is making himself a target for nuisance lawsuits.

I feel the guy on the fake allergy thing. But not being able to accommodate a vegetarian confuses the hell out of me. Take vegetable A. Throw cheese B onto it. Ta-dah! All done. Pretty much vegetarian is code for "everything has to have cheese".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dino. posted:

I feel the guy on the fake allergy thing. But not being able to accommodate a vegetarian confuses the hell out of me. Take vegetable A. Throw cheese B onto it. Ta-dah! All done. Pretty much vegetarian is code for "everything has to have cheese".

They're going to a BBQ place. A place that by all means is "WE HAVE MEAT, WE HAVE LOADS OF MEAT, AND WE SERVE NOTHING BUT MEAT." They can do it, sure, but you're going to a place that advertises meat as their main attraction. You don't go to a pizza place and ask for a steak.

Also, part of his beef (:haw:) with them is that these people will claim they're vegetarian... but order meat anyway.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Or, if you're particularly lazy, grill portobello A with butter. Optionally, top with garnish herb B.

I personally hate that, but it's the easiest way to offer a vegetarian entree if you don't actually like vegetarians. His frustration is probably with the idea that vegetarians like ordering side dishes, and at a BBQ joint 90% of them are cooked in bacon fat and 10% are cooked in lard.

Author of the rant has at least two good points:

quote:

Friesen says that he's done with people who have inconsistent allergies ("Shellfish allergy but loves oyster sauce") or those who claim that they're sensitive to gluten, but only the gluten in bread.

quote:

You make it really drat hard for people with actual allergies and dietaries to go out to eat.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

EDIT: Come to think of it, why do Indian dishes all use tomato paste/crushed tomatoes if tomatoes were originally from South America? Isn't it a bit weird that all these dishes from a culture that's existed for thousands of years use an ingredient that they didn't have access to until 500 years ago?

this is true of almost all cultures. citrus is asian. imagine central or latin american food without citrus. Or italian food without tomatoes. Korean, thai, sichuan without chiles. Hell, hungarian without paprika.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

We've had this conversation before, and the speed at which the world-wide acceptance of potatoes and chili peppers happened was pretty astounding.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's cause those things are goooooooood

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Squashy Nipples posted:

We've had this conversation before, and the speed at which the world-wide acceptance of potatoes and chili peppers happened was pretty astounding.

Who would have thought that humans are masochists.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

quote:

Friesen says that he's done with people who have inconsistent allergies ("Shellfish allergy but loves oyster sauce")

I agree with most of what he said but this is dumb as hell. A crustacean allergy without a mollusk allergy is super common amongst people with legitimate, anaphylaxis inducing shellfish allergies.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

this is true of almost all cultures. citrus is asian. imagine central or latin american food without citrus. Or italian food without tomatoes. Korean, thai, sichuan without chiles. Hell, hungarian without paprika.

Yeah, I'm always impressed by the degree to which tomatoes became so integral to Italian cooking. I'd never really thought about citrus being imported to the Americas.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fair enough - I'm not really up to par on my food history.

Tried making a chicken korma today (you can see the results in the dinner thread) and it came out surprisingly okay, but I ran into a few snags along the way. I burned the ground spices, failed to really caramelize the onions, and put wayyyyyyy too many cashews in the sauce. Also, it took like an hour and a half to cook and I really really wonder why it took that long.

I might make it again if I end up with a lot of chicken thigh I want to get rid of, but next time I'm using a recipe. Maybe tikka masala, or butter chicken.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

Yeah, I'm always impressed by the degree to which tomatoes became so integral to Italian cooking. I'd never really thought about citrus being imported to the Americas.

I always figured that was because tomatoes grow so well in Italy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pollyanna posted:

Fair enough - I'm not really up to par on my food history.

Tried making a chicken korma today (you can see the results in the dinner thread) and it came out surprisingly okay, but I ran into a few snags along the way. I burned the ground spices, failed to really caramelize the onions, and put wayyyyyyy too many cashews in the sauce. Also, it took like an hour and a half to cook and I really really wonder why it took that long.

I might make it again if I end up with a lot of chicken thigh I want to get rid of, but next time I'm using a recipe. Maybe tikka masala, or butter chicken.

The Guardian recipe for tikka masala is really great.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I always figured that was because tomatoes grow so well in Italy.
Not really. Tomatoes first arrived in Italy in the 16th Century (along with the potato, eggplant, capsicum peppers, and so on), but it isn't until the 18th Century that they start forming the basis of the kinds of dishes we now associate with tomatoes in Italian cuisine (e.g. the first red sauces). The proliferation of the tomato in the world is basically the story of Spaniards bringing them back to Spain from Peru and trying for several centuries to figure out what the gently caress to do with them (the answer for most of this time was more or less ratatouille if they were eaten at all---like the pineapple, tomatoes were often cultivated entirely as an ornamental plant), and then all at once they start catching on everywhere.

Like most of the cuisines in Central and North America get the tomato by way of Spain rather than up from South America.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SubG posted:

Not really. Tomatoes first arrived in Italy in the 16th Century (along with the potato, eggplant, capsicum peppers, and so on), but it isn't until the 18th Century that they start forming the basis of the kinds of dishes we now associate with tomatoes in Italian cuisine (e.g. the first red sauces). The proliferation of the tomato in the world is basically the story of Spaniards bringing them back to Spain from Peru and trying for several centuries to figure out what the gently caress to do with them (the answer for most of this time was more or less ratatouille if they were eaten at all---like the pineapple, tomatoes were often cultivated entirely as an ornamental plant), and then all at once they start catching on everywhere.

Like most of the cuisines in Central and North America get the tomato by way of Spain rather than up from South America.

How accurate is the "common wisdom" that tomatoes were seen as poisonous, and how long did that last?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

SubG posted:

I always thought tomatoes originated from Mexico. Google says turns out they grow wild in Peru but the Aztecs in Mexico were the first to cultivate them. The more you know.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

Trap sprung! If you want to get a detailed answer from SubG, just post some half-assed poo poo you made up, so that he can correct you. :haw:

The thing I've always wondered is, how did the eggplant get so popular in so many cuisines, when it has so little nutrition? No protein, no fat, low on vitamins. Seems like there are better things to farm.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

While not as funny as that "one more trip to flavortown" jpg, I got a laugh out of this:

Same bad hairdo and facial hair, anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Trap sprung! If you want to get a detailed answer from SubG, just post some half-assed poo poo you made up, so that he can correct you. :haw:

See, it works well, doesn't it?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ok, now I feel dirty all over. :colbert:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Squashy Nipples posted:

The thing I've always wondered is, how did the eggplant get so popular in so many cuisines, when it has so little nutrition? No protein, no fat, low on vitamins. Seems like there are better things to farm.

The eggplant is an elaborate prank Chinese peasants played on nobility that got out of hand.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

vermin posted:

The eggplant is an elaborate prank Chinese peasants played on nobility that got out of hand.

Makes sense. But drat I love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

is it a prank if it's delicious tho?