Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

I get what you are trying to show us, but referring to your own games like this makes all the claims of "Dumbwreck Shart only hates on CIG to promote his games" seem more believable to causal onlookers.
Also I am hardly surprised you couldn't wait with announcing leaks until the 22nd like you said you would... the draw of the extra attention is just too strong, isn't it.

Here is my prediction: ELE isn't coming any time soon, nobody goes to jail, refund cascade will not be a cascade. Calling it now, two years... July blog etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

So.
Wow.
Yeah.

Uhm, Chris.
First of all, it's all faked — it's a video game.
Second of all, it's been done before. All of it. For two decades. By actual programmers working for actual game companies.
Third of all, render-to-texture is something every engine does out of the box these days. Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure it has moved to the graphics API layer by now.
Fourth of all, creating a “hologram” is just a matter of placing a second model in the world with a alpha layer on it. That would actually make it less fake and more like a hologram than using render-to-texture.
Fifth, making one model mirror what another model does is trivial — it's the same data. I know that pointers and references break the brains of first-time CS students, but come on, man.

Sixth, and finally: you're a loving idiot hack retard. Go get a job that matches your competence. Like allergy testing of cosmetics and hygiene products (not as part of the testing staff, obviously — that requires the knowledge of how to observe and use a pen).

It's completely amazing to me how he does this every - single - time. I mean, seriously. They've been battling to get the LY implementation of render-to-texture working for MONTHS now. All of a sudden, it's new tech.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lmao, that yaw turn. flight dynamics! lmao

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ah, so basically stuff we've seen since pre-2000?

Oh yeah, totally.

My original point was that it'd only be revolutionary were they capturing a volume in a three-dimensional render target. I've not personally seen anyone else doing that (besides Epic games tech tests).

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In all seriousness though, do any of your leaks hint/suggest that Chris or his brother voted "Yes" on Brexit? He seems like the kind of idiot who would...
They were too busy coding something called a "3D Game Engine" to vote. I dunno if the world is ready for actual 3D computer games, built from polygons with textures wrapped on them.

It just seems too sci-fi to me. Imagine what kind of games people could create after Chris Roberts is done presenting his newest creation to the world.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, I've never heard of Stellaris. Is it some kind of RTS?

Best 4x currently out. Seriously, if you like imperial conquests and getting rolled by a bunch of superintelligent monkey things, it's extremely your thing.

It's in the tradition of Paradox grand strategy, meaning they roll out the DLC after the jpegs for a *game that is already out*. revolutionary idea that is going to transform gaming.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Somewhere in a sparsely furnished room, a redditor sits smugly contented with how the new hologram progress footage sure "shut those goonies up"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol

scope out who is in the main vid

but I'm sure amazon still doesn't have anything to do with CIG at all, nope

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In all seriousness though, do any of your leaks hint/suggest that Chris or his brother voted "Yes" on Brexit? He seems like the kind of idiot who would...

Doubt it, it's really going to gently caress them over with Cheshire and Frankfurt. There was some talk that a lot of the expat overseas votes not getting counted, and you had to be on the ball to get registered and vote as an expat.

D_Smart posted:

It's completely amazing to me how he does this every - single - time. I mean, seriously. They've been battling to get the LY implementation of render-to-texture working for MONTHS now. All of a sudden, it's new tech.

Well, it's new to him :colbert:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Somewhere in a sparsely furnished room, a redditor sits smugly contented with how the new hologram progress footage sure "shut those goonies up"

Well people being exited about it definitely has me at a loss for words.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Our graphics team have really created something I haven’t seen in any other engine and allows to actually do proper holographic telepresence. None of it’s pre-rendered or faked, it’s all live and the possibilities for longer term gameplay are pretty exciting.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

zcrow posted:

Oh yeah, totally.

My original point was that it'd only be revolutionary were they capturing a volume in a three-dimensional render target. I've not personally seen anyone else doing that (besides Epic games tech tests).

I'm not even clear how this is different from what's generally done. Normally you have a viewport off somewhere else, it's rendered as a 3D scene, and sent to a 2D texture as a surface, or just displayed in the view. That's a 3D volume being rendered, it's just elsewhere, and then pasted. This sounds like, you make a little bubble universe inside something which you can see into, with things in it, and render them, which eventually gets sent to your monitor as a 2D image. That's still just a thing being rendered and projected to the screen. What's the difference if the rendered volume is elsewhere, or magicked into being in something?

I understand the behind the scenes difference, but I'm not understanding why any of that would make any difference whatsoever to the end consumer looking at their screen while playing a game.

Please explain, I must be missing something.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Real game devs make things look cool while cutting every corner imaginable.

Chris Roberts makes things "the hard way" and "real" because he's sure they can fix that sub double digit frame rate at some point in the future.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Our graphics team have really created something I haven’t seen in any other engine and allows to actually do proper holographic telepresence. None of it’s pre-rendered or faked, it’s all live and the possibilities for longer term gameplay are pretty exciting.

I wish they would spell out what the possibilities for gameplay are, i mean i don't think an in game skype call with another commando is all that exciting.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hav posted:

Best 4x currently out. Seriously, if you like imperial conquests and getting rolled by a bunch of superintelligent monkey things, it's extremely your thing.

It's in the tradition of Paradox grand strategy, meaning they roll out the DLC after the jpegs for a *game that is already out*. revolutionary idea that is going to transform gaming.

Cool. I might check it out.

Anybody remember when CIG did the veteran's thing for 20$?

You paid 20$ that would go to a charity and you got a unique upgrade for your hornet.

Needless to say not everyone was happy about giving stuff to a veteran's charity.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Needless to say not everyone was happy about giving stuff to a veteran's charity.

Edgelords? In _my_ Star Citizen? <clutches pearls>

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Foo Diddley posted:

I have that table in Pinball Arcade; looks like it was released in 2013. I guess FarSight must have used a time machine to steal the technology from CIG

FUD, downvoting and moving on.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

peter gabriel posted:

I remember 16 years ago when I got this demo with a graphics card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85UScVJ_9zc

This is the only demo that excites me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEVKzZNQDY

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
You know if you figured something was a distraction for your staff you probably should have noticed that a long time ago I dunno like when you last went through your shows not even a year ago and gutted everything.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Sabreseven posted:

Looking for grains of truth, in a sandi beach of lies.

:golfclap:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I totally bought this during the Steam summer sale.

It's the least I could do for all the hours of entertainment you've provided me.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mr.Tophat posted:

This is the only demo that excites me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEVKzZNQDY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFv7mHTf0nA

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
We figured out how to tweak alpha shaders, something you can do with one or two commands..
-CIG

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hav posted:

Edgelords? In _my_ Star Citizen? <clutches pearls>

It was weirder than that because CIG gave people the option of getting the upgrade without having to give to the charity.

I guess people were just mad that a charity exists.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

It was weirder than that because CIG gave people the option of getting the upgrade without having to give to the charity.

I guess people were just mad that a charity exists.

We live in a time that if someone female came out against punching baby bears in the dick, you'd have a PAC set up decrying the 'liberals' for wanting to take away god-given dick punching freedoms upon proto-killing machines. Someone's always mad, we just made the mistake of putting them on TV and catering to their bullshit.

There's an intersection set there with Star Citizen, too.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

XK posted:

I'm not even clear how this is different from what's generally done. Normally you have a viewport off somewhere else, it's rendered as a 3D scene, and sent to a 2D texture as a surface, or just displayed in the view. That's a 3D volume being rendered, it's just elsewhere, and then pasted. This sounds like, you make a little bubble universe inside something which you can see into, with things in it, and render them, which eventually gets sent to your monitor as a 2D image. That's still just a thing being rendered and projected to the screen. What's the difference if the rendered volume is elsewhere, or magicked into being in something?

I understand the behind the scenes difference, but I'm not understanding why any of that would make any difference whatsoever to the end consumer looking at their screen while playing a game.

Please explain, I must be missing something.

I'm not saying that's what CIG are doing. The effect they're doing could just as easily be done with a shader and some extra meshes. They're trying to reinvent the wheel just for the sake of being able to say "hey we reinvented the wheel".

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

BREAKING NEWS

Rumor has it that next weeks ATV will feature a revolutionary new tech, developed entirely in-house at CIG. This paradigm shift in computer science will allow two computers to exchange information at lightning speeds without even being in the same room!. Labeled InterStarExplorer, the tech is very experimental so there are still some issues, but RSI feel confident that within the week, they can scale this tech to allow every citizen to inhabit the same virtual space at the same time. Think about it! Literally dozens of people, all gleefully T-posing together as if they were next to each other!

This news came from my very reliable sources that are not at all personifications of the voices in my head.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You know that thing people have been doing for 20 years? Well, we are doing it too, but with far more performance issues.

--CIG, every year since 2014

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

This music is extremely my poo poo

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

You know that thing people have been doing for 20 years? Well, we are doing it too, but with far more performance issues.

--CIG, every year since 2014

You can't just iterate and extend, you have to _reinvent_
-- CiG, Doors 2012 - 2017

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 4, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

zcrow posted:

I'm not saying that's what CIG are doing. The effect they're doing could just as easily be done with a shader and some extra meshes. They're trying to reinvent the wheel just for the sake of being able to say "hey we reinvented the wheel".

I'm sure CIG is just doing bog standard graphics engine poo poo.

I'm honestly asking about the rendering thing you're talking about, though. It sounds kind of interesting, but I'm not sure what it actually accomplishes.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also, taking features that were just put up in the latest Lumberyard version and passing them off as CIGs own technology is loving hilarious

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TheAgent posted:

also, taking features that were just put up in the latest Lumberyard version and passing them off as CIGs own technology is loving hilarious

you mean LumberYard

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Should have done this last week two weeks ago.

:toxx:
No 3.0 for regular backers in 2017 (Not some hollowed out "3.0" You need to be able to fly from Olistar to the surface, hidden or blatant loadscreen is fine; and drive generally around the whole thing. No invisible walls at CRYENGINE_MAP_WIDTH)

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

The start of today's AtV is a must watch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ4mou4OR4U

- Chris attempts heavy damage control but is unable to say when 3.0 will actually come out.
- Studio reports are cut from here on out "so as not to disturb the studios while they work towards 3.0"
- AtV is now going to be a weekly documentary on the development of 3.0. Basically "Road to Citizencon" but every week. The feature is called "Burn Down".
- Chris is a lying toad person and he is now one step closer to being eaten alive by his own fanbase.

TheAgent posted:

if 3.0 doesn't come out this year

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/893169786754039809

I'm effectively giving Chris a :redhammer: I Immediately regret my decision.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

XK posted:

I watch a youtube thing called Boundary Break, where the guy uses camera hacks to show what's going on off screen, in places the player isn't supposed to be able to get to.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PencakeAndWuffle/videos

Half the videos involve him diving off the map into the void, and finding a little room where actions are played out that are displayed on screens in the game world.

The Portal 2 video shows a bunch of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAdtBksh31s

I'm just baffled why they're showing this off, unless they literally have nothing else.
This is super interesting.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6rj9gj/kinda_feel_like_moving_on/dl5jy8w/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

CIG's about to start bliting bmps to the screen.

Hold on to your hats, the pipelining is real.