Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

i am harry posted:

Why is it real bad when we have "freedom of press" written into law?

As far as I understand it, there are no federal shield laws and the federal government specifically doesn't recognize reporter's privilege. The only federal protection reporters have is the DOJ's own guidelines, which are apparently under review here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

evilweasel posted:

because it's an end-run around it

reporter gets a leak of classified information. reporter publishes story on the classified information, which is highly embarrassing to the white house.

sessions orders a criminal investigation into the leak of the classified information. he subpoenas the reporter, demanding the reporter give up his source. reporter refuses.

the doj puts the reporter in jail until they comply with the subpoena.

now, any reporter who wants to report on classified information will get jailed, unless they reveal their sources, in which case their sources get jailed and nobody writes about classified information. doj policy is not to subpoena reporters precisely because of this. sessions intends to throw that out.

This would go to the Supreme Court and fail there.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

i am harry posted:

Yes but even Heritage has a write-up that doesn't besmirch the idea: http://www.heritage.org/constitution/#!/amendments/1/essays/140/freedom-of-speech-and-of-the-press
and even supports indictment of the President:

"b. False statements of fact: False statements of fact may generally be punished if they are knowing lies, though generally not if they are honest mistakes (even unreasonable mistakes). There are, however, some situations where even honest mistakes can be punished, and a few where even intentional lies are protected. Gertz v. Robert Welch, Inc. (1974)."

right wingers are full of poo poo and don't actually care about freedom of press

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

What's the source? (if it exists; if you made it up, masterfully done)

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

skeleton warrior posted:

In the sense of "Here, let me mis-contextualize this release to make it seem like it says the opposite of what it actually says", for example, tweeting one paragraph about Mueller taking uranium to the Russians and 'just asking questions' about whether it was related to 'Clinton's sale of uranium' while completely leaving out the three other paragraphs from that same page which show it was Mueller taking evidence to Russia for a joint investigation.

Or in the sense of "Eh, we'll release all of the informant's names and vital information and credit card info, because snitches should get stitches"
I wouldn't be shocked if Mueller had some dings did too due to the length of his career, but I would assume it's more about who abusing discretion rather than explicit dishonesty, and I'm familiar enough with the Uranium stuff to know thats bullshit. On the other hand, what's with the Iraq stuff? I trust him to handle this investigation with integrity, but I would imagine breaking up civil rights groups and engineering crimes to solve is a bit more to the FBI's usual speed.

evilweasel posted:

now, any reporter who wants to report on classified information will get jailed, unless they reveal their sources, in which case their sources get jailed and nobody writes about classified information. doj policy is not to subpoena reporters precisely because of this. sessions intends to throw that out.
So they can finally stop Assange is what you're saying?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tell me again how "Democrats are better for native/indigenous/PoC/black and brown/non-dominant cultures and lgbtqqiaap/NA +2S communities?"

Republicans:
-escalates the war on drugs
-cracks down on legal and undocumented immigrants
-defends those who discriminate against LGBT people
-puts racists and nazis in the White House

Democrats:
-says 'Eskimo'

God, both parties are just as bad!!!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

hey thanks for the fresh meme chipotle, it reminded me of recent events and made me want to die

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

enraged_camel posted:

I doubt it. Reporters don't generally have a right to confidentiality of sources in the way that, say, priests do of confessants or attorneys do for their clients. There's no legal barrier to a mass contempt pogrom, it's just a norm.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

hasn't in the past

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Casey Finnigan posted:

right wingers are full of poo poo and don't actually care about freedom of press

Yeah but making them argue against the Heritage Foundation is worth doing like making them argue against Romneycare was worth doing (thanks nancy and obama)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

enraged_camel posted:

What are you basing this on? The SC has previously refused to hear a case where journalists were held in contempt for refusing to reveal a source.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Majorian posted:

What's the source? (if it exists; if you made it up, masterfully done)

http://my.democrats.org/page/s/happy-birthday-president-obama-2017

Twitter Responses to

https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I agree with the idea that in a Presidential election, a successful candidate cannot rely on a primary message of their opponent being unsuitable. We just had the most unsuitable GOP candidate of all time and the Democratic candidate (admittedly a mediocre one) lost with that strategy.

However, midterm Congressional elections are a different beast altogether, and running against a President who's an incumbent with a track record is different from two Presidential candidates without incumbency running against each other.

I kind of had the impression that running against a sitting President is a message and technique that often works very well in Congressional midterms. It's certainly what 2010 Tea Party Frenzy was all about, at its core.

What I'm saying is, running primarily on a message of Trump Bad may quite possibly be the best message for 2018 rather than Better Deal etc.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

enraged_camel posted:

In a 5-4 decision...

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Is there an article yet about what specifically they plan to do?

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

aware of dog posted:

Republicans:
-escalates the war on drugs
-cracks down on legal and undocumented immigrants
-defends those who discriminate against LGBT people
-puts racists and nazis in the White House

Democrats:
-says 'Eskimo'

God, both parties are just as bad!!!
I take it you missed the 90s and Obama's deportation rates.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Casey Finnigan posted:

Phone posting so I can't post the graph itself, but Gallup claims 14% of Republicans trust mass media as of September last year. Imagine what it is after a full year of making GBS threads on their orange coal god.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/195542/americans-trust-mass-media-sinks-new-low.aspx

There would be a ton of right-wing, gun toting sociopaths willing to do "a service to their country" by murdering members of the free press in broad daylight.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I doubt it. Reporters don't generally have a right to confidentiality of sources in the way that, say, priests do of confessants or attorneys do for their clients. There's no legal barrier to a mass contempt pogrom, it's just a norm.

It seems like the real protection comes from the fact that if you go after one journalist you need to be ready to go after almost all of them or face immense media backlash. (Minus Fox, probably!) I'm absolutely not convinced, however, that this is somehow a bridge too far when it comes to politicians doing extremely unsavory things.

Zwabu posted:

What I'm saying is, running primarily on a message of Trump Bad may quite possibly be the best message for 2018 rather than Better Deal etc.

Running on the benefits of your platform was the old politic, the new world is just ruthless takedowns of your opponent because we're no longer equipped with the sense that even if the party you voted for isn't in complete power that we should still be a loyal opposition party. Now opposition means obstruction, and only you and yours are loyal to the right America.

It's absolutely 100% necessary for the campaign against Trump to be savage because he won't fight clean, and he doesn't deserve to be fought cleanly. To win, he must be torn down, discredited, and thoroughly shamed in the hearts and minds of the public. He's gonna tee up such amazing things for campaign ads no matter what happens, the Democrats just need to be bold (and mean) enough to use them to their full effectiveness.

Red Baron fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 4, 2017

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Dude, are you kidding?

Which would make you more mad?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Ripoff posted:

Phone posting so I can't post the graph itself, but Gallup claims 14% of Republicans trust mass media as of September last year. Imagine what it is after a full year of making GBS threads on their orange coal god.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/195542/americans-trust-mass-media-sinks-new-low.aspx

There would be a ton of right-wing, gun toting sociopaths willing to do "a service to their country" by murdering members of the free press in broad daylight.

Don't look up, you might notice the sky falling.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
PSLF looks to be going down the drain too. DoE is trying to delay forgiving the first wave of loans. This is not going to end well. Also it's a good way to never have anyone aged 18-35 ever vote republican.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Sneakster posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if Mueller had some dings did too due to the length of his career, but I would assume it's more about who abusing discretion rather than explicit dishonesty, and I'm familiar enough with the Uranium stuff to know thats bullshit. On the other hand, what's with the Iraq stuff? I trust him to handle this investigation with integrity, but I would imagine breaking up civil rights groups and engineering crimes to solve is a bit more to the FBI's usual speed.

That's not a Mueller thing; that's an Assange thing:

The Guardian posted:

A reporter worried that Assange would risk killing Afghans who had co-operated with American forces if he put US secrets online without taking the basic precaution of removing their names. "Well, they're informants," Assange replied. "So, if they get killed, they've got it coming to them. They deserve it."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How could the press come out against Trump any harder than what they're already doing? He said they were the enemy of the American people in January. This is just the next move.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Millennials are not the democratic base. The Democratic base is the people who vote for Democrats. Bernie was not even popular enough among Democratic primary voters to win the primary.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Xombie posted:

Millennials are not the democratic base. The Democratic base is the people who vote for Democrats. Bernie was not even popular enough among Democratic primary voters to win the primary.

hot take comin thru

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is there an article yet about what specifically they plan to do?

I expect they will subpoena reporters and ask them to divulge their sources. When they refuse they'll be jailed for contempt and Trump and his crew will begin their real assault on freedom of the press.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

enraged_camel posted:

No it wouldn't. It's already happened during the Bush admin.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sneakster posted:

Why do you think immigrant advocacy groups have different views of Obama and Trump if their deportation rates were functionally similar?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Xombie posted:

This is a really weak argument, given how popular Sanders is now, and I think you know that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/893451156269223936

:eyepop:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xombie posted:

millennials are stupidly, overwhelmingly, incredibly pro-democratic and anti-republican, to a degree essentially unmatched in american history: getting them to vote is absolutely critical to retaking the country and if done successfully republicans don't have a hope

berniebros and millennials are not the same, however

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Xombie posted:

Clinton being within MoE with Trump since the spring while Bernie was crushing Trump by double digits but struggling as obscure figure in an uphill battle in a messy primary means by the associative law that if Bernie is most popular now, Clinton is even more popular cause she won the primary, which would mean she's president, and didn't pathetically fail to beat a literal retard nazi that she's current polling worse than. It's air tight logic.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lote posted:

PSLF looks to be going down the drain too. DoE is trying to delay forgiving the first wave of loans. This is not going to end well. Also it's a good way to never have anyone aged 18-35 ever vote republican.

I find it hilarious that the actual Bar Associate is suing them. Like the professional group that makes lawyers actual lawyers is suing the DoE.

It's still terrifying. My wife's relying on it to pay for law school so she can put bad people in prison.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Lote posted:

Luckily, the plan to bring back debtors prison is going to take care of all those people.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Xombie posted:

Your criminal lost, get over it.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Xombie posted:

"Democratic primary voters" and primary voters in general is not a great thing to measure by when comparing to actual national elections.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Sneakster posted:

Deportations only increased at the border, and were declining overall since 2012. Meanwhile, Obama started DACA and Trump, despite saying he was only gonna go after the "bad hombres," rescinded DACA, halted the plans for DAPA, and stared a propaganda outfit to demonize immigrants. The two are nowhere near equivalent, but you're an idiot who defends Julian Assange, so I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilweasel posted:

millennials are stupidly, overwhelmingly, incredibly pro-democratic and anti-republican, to a degree essentially unmatched in american history: getting them to vote is absolutely critical to retaking the country and if done successfully republicans don't have a hope

berniebros and millennials are not the same, however

White millennials voted for Trump.

"Millennials" are much more pro-democratic that previous generations because non-white votes have shifted dramatically towards the Democrats and the next generation is just barely 55% white.

If asian, hispanic, and indian voting patterns ever go back to their historical averages and the Republican share of the white vote stays close, then the generation will end up close to the overall voting pattern of the current electorate (slightly Dem overall; concentrated in urbanizing areas)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sneakster posted:

Clinton being within MoE with Trump since the spring

To understand this election one must realize that hillary was moe, while trump was tsundere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

This is a really weak argument, given how popular Sanders is now, and I think you know that.

sanders supporters have never really reckoned with the fact (a) he lost the primary, and it was not close: he had no hope of success for the second half and was losing by much more than Hillary was losing when obama had effectively locked up the nomination and (b) he is significantly more popular than clinton because republicans supported him as an anti-clinton and to try to split the democratic base, but if he ran he would immediately lose that support

i mean, clinton was stupidly popular in the middle of obama's term, because she was a non-partisan figure (at the time) and vaugely preferable to obama for some republicans. that, uh, changed.

• Locked thread