Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Prism posted:

Who's Dan? (Serious question, have no idea who you mean.)

I thought it was general policy for Banpresto to only use original VAs - that's why they kept using Banjo's original recordings for years after Suzuoki died - but I guess they changed their mind somewhere along the way?

I guess probably Toshiya "Godsigma" Dan? His original actor died in 1995.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

Prism posted:

Who's Dan? (Serious question, have no idea who you mean.)

I thought it was general policy for Banpresto to only use original VAs - that's why they kept using Banjo's original recordings for years after Suzuoki died - but I guess they changed their mind somewhere along the way?

Dan Toshiya, from God Sigma. He got recast (I think one of the God Sigma villains did too?)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Huh. Well, I guess they owned up to the fact that they were going to have to eventually (or only use them in unvoiced portables, or with old voice clips mixed together). Daitarn 3 is 39 years old, after all.

Guess I was wrong then!

KoB
May 1, 2009
Bright was recast in Unicorn and I think they used that same actor for Banjou? He does an amazing job as Bright anyway.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
They also recast Duke Freed in SRW Z, for what it's worth. But Grendizer hasn't been in a single console game since.

Also, I haven't seen any Akira Kamiya-voiced properties in console SRWs since he retired. That's a considerable list - Raideen, Daimos, original Macross, original Getter Robo, original Gaiking, Dangaioh.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 1, 2017

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Replacing voice actors is tough. I'm trying to think if there's anybody who sounds like Akira Kamiya but maybe thats the wrong way to go about it. I'd love a Grendizer Giga to hang out with the other Dynamic Pro upgrades. Gimme an upgrade to Getters Neo and Zan. There's the obvious main Getter upgrade but holy moly that might be a bit too wild to hang out even with Zero, Emperor G and God Shinji running around.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I feel like they usually announce the next game within the next month or two, weird that its already August with no announcement.

Maybe theyre killing the side/portable games and releases will be more infrequent.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
A couple of years back someone in this thread made battle scene mash ups using SRW Z cut ins and clips from anime. They were amazing. Gundam Build Fighters just released this today and it reminds me of the one video with Amuro vs Ribbons vs Setsuna. I'd like to think someone at Bandai watched it and got inspired to make this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ihIVEB3LY

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That's a fun watch. Doesn't sound like they got Ikeda back for Char though, or maybe I really misremember classic Char.

Seems like I'm really misremembering! Been so many years.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 4, 2017

KoB
May 1, 2009
Thats definitely not Ikeda.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's Toshihiko Seki.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Whew thank you, saved me from having a senior moment.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

We are officially through the looking glass. Ikeda has been replaced by a Char clone! :gonk:

Edit: actually, no! Toshihiko was the ACTUAL Char's VA in The Origin, so I guess it's meant to imply that Casval never took his place?

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 4, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Brunom1 posted:

We are officially through the looking glass. Ikeda has been replaced by a Char clone! :gonk:

Edit: actually, no! Toshihiko was the ACTUAL Char's VA in The Origin, so I guess it's meant to imply that Casval never took his place?

Nah, there's a lot of Lalah references in this ep so it has to be Casval. The likeliest explanation is that Ikeda had a schedule conflict of some sort so they booked the second most Char-esque voice actor in the business since it's just a one-off appearance.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
The fact that the clip says Episode 1 has me hopefully for more episodes. I also found the SRW video I was reminded of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAoxmV8NAEY

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Can I just say that I liked that way more than I probably should've? Especially Amuro's side glance when the voices were brought up.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

What's a good way to learn basic mechanics and how you should be playing to get maximum enjoyment out of SRW? I have V and Moon Dwellers and have no idea what I should be doing with moving pilots between mechs, what mechs to upgrade, etc. My experience with SRW has been watching attack compilation videos on youtube for like a decade, not paying attention to all the numbers.

I love breaking final fantasy tactics and other srpgs over my knee, so I know what I'm in for, but I'm having trouble getting over the metagame stuff I'm expected to know already that isn't covered in the tutorials.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

upgrade the mechs you want to use
put people into mechs that you think would be funny for them to use

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Upgrading mechs IS the gamebreaker. The game's have been designed to play without upgrades for quite a while.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I'm glad to hear that "watch super robot pro wrestling" is viable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

these games aren't hard at all. occasionally you'll have to do some light enemy prioritization depending on if you want to get every SR point but the only way to make these games remotely difficult is to never upgrade anything at all. no items, no mech upgrades, no skills.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

xarph posted:

I love breaking final fantasy tactics and other srpgs over my knee, so I know what I'm in for,

I'm sorry, sir, we felt you interviewed nicely but I'm afraid you're overqualified.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm sorry, sir, we felt you interviewed nicely but I'm afraid you're overqualified.
For me breaking FFT is just not immediately dismissing Orlandu when you get him.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

xarph posted:

What's a good way to learn basic mechanics and how you should be playing to get maximum enjoyment out of SRW? I have V and Moon Dwellers and have no idea what I should be doing with moving pilots between mechs, what mechs to upgrade, etc. My experience with SRW has been watching attack compilation videos on youtube for like a decade, not paying attention to all the numbers.

Just pick your favorite character and go nuts. SRW is not exactly a difficult game, and you can pretty much make anyone viable with enough work. As far as best pilot/machine combinations, the vast majority of the cast are already preset to their best machines with a few exceptions. If a character has an exclusive machine or special functions that only they can use they should almost always be in it. I have honestly never switched people around much in the crossover games but I couldn't stomach using Hathaway in V so switching Kinkaid to the Xi Gundam was a priority for me. In the OG games you can get creative more often, take Katina and Russel for example; they are both characters with decent strengths offset by some crippling flaws and their below average machines only magnify these problems. However if you put them into the Grungust Type 3 with Katina in the front you end up with a pretty amazing unit that can pretty much tank everything forever even without it's TK barrier and Katina's terrible defense stat thanks to Russel's defensive spirits, and Katina's damage output is outstanding when her revenge bonus no longer has the threat of her blowing up instantly alongside being a character that can start a maximum break.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I remember OG2 being pretty punishing between the final bosses trolling you all game long and those loving L-Schneides.

e: memories... flooding back... flank an enemy front the entire map long... all L-Schneides and five Rhino-class tanks...

Anyway, doesn't Russell have Synchro with the intent being to twin him with Katina?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 5, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caphi posted:

Anyway, doesn't Russell have Synchro with the intent being to twin him with Katina?

He does, and their stats are somewhat built around it(Russel's offensive stats are total trash but his defense is game best, whereas Katina's defensive stats are mediocre at best but her offense is crazy), but stat boosts don't compensate for Katina's lack of effective defensive spells and Russell's lack of offensive ones. It's much more effective for the two of them to be in the same robot where Russell's dirt cheap Guard can protect Katina infinitely better than him digging into her SP pool to cast Synchro every turn to buff her defense stat. It also means that you don't need to waste two launch slots on getting both of them out there in a series increasingly crowded with god-tier super units.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
SRW games are really bad at teaching their mechanics. Like most of my SRW mechanics knowledge is because I actually make fangames of it. I think if someone went and beat a Fire Emblem game before coming back to SRW, he would probably become much better at playing SRW, even the really easy FEs.

Number 1 advice to become better at SRW is probably to not be extremely miserly with Spirit Commands - I think the only time conserving them is ever an issue is if the boss has HP Regen (Large) and you absolutely cannot deal enough damage to race them fast enough without Hot Blood, which is something that is rather rare in modern SRWs - the most recent time I remember that is Don Sauzer in A Portable.

As far as upgrading goes, a lot of people already stated that most of the game can be done with 0 upgrades, so as far as I'm concerned, the upgrade meta-strategy is less "to beat the game" and more "to beat it faster"

In that regards, I generally find that the more recent the game, the more likely it is that you want to upgrade Weapons because enemies tend to be HP bloated, but very un-threatening offense-wise. Due to the damage formula being additive rather than multiplicative, Armor tends to have diminishing returns which further contributes to that.

Most Full Upgrade Bonuses tend to be trap choices IMO except for the handful that end up being overpowered - they tend to look very attractive but not really be worth the cash.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A friend of mine in Singapore is sending me this and Gundam Breaker 3.

Any advice for starting SRW5? Never played a game in the series.

EDIT: I have read the above posts. I suppose I should be fine!

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 5, 2017

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

A friend of mine in Singapore is sending me this and Gundam Breaker 3.

Any advice for starting SRW5? Never played a game in the series.

EDIT: I have read the above posts. I suppose I should be fine!

It's V, not 5 for one. I think it's short for Voyage.

If it's your first time I think there is a training mode available that'll give you a basic overview. But for the most part, upgrade robots, blow up other robots, use the coolest robots. There are very few robots, especially in V, that are utterly unusuable.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am genuinely shocked it is not 5. I mean, I knew there were a ton of games in the franchise, but I figured it was just some reboot in the naming scheme. How about that.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
It isn't officially 5, but I suspect there's some wordplay going on - the decision to bring back the Huckebein and Grungust (which I believe first appeared in 4) is probably not a coincidence.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wasn't that just an anniversary thing?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The +10% to a stat choices for Full Upgrades are generally way worse than anything else on offer. The Full Upgrade bonus hierarchy is +1 Item Slot and then way after that +1 Range/Move depending on unit with niche cases depending on game and unit. Like Shinkiro in Z2.2 getting Barrier Cost 0 is really good and in J you pretty much always want S Rank in All Terrains, but that stopped being an upgrade in most games because its gross.

Just as equally to don't save all your SP is don't spend all your SP right away! Kouji doesn't need to cast Strike, Iron Wall and Invincible every turn and Amuro doesn't need Focus and Sense active at all times (most games). I think it mostly comes down to feeling free to use spells, but making sure you have enough for an emergency Strike/Flash in case you need it against a boss. It depends on the game, but realizing you don't have to cast Focus/Flash every turn on your reals means you'll have enough to really go all out when it comes to a boss and end up being able to one turn them. Also knowing that Prevail is a thing so your supers actually get better when they're down to half health so you shouldn't waste a ton of SP on healing them up, saving it on your support guys for Cheer and Bless instead.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Remember, the V in Combattler V is a V, but the V in Voltes V is a V.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Schwarzwald posted:

Remember, the V in Combattler V is a V, but the V in Voltes V is a V.

:gonk:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess SRWV could theoretically be considered the fifth main line SRW series (original, Alpha, Z, OG, V) except OG isn't finished...I hope.

Also I still can't tell if V will end up being standalone or not.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess SRWV could theoretically be considered the fifth main line SRW series (original, Alpha, Z, OG, V) except OG isn't finished...I hope.

Also I still can't tell if V will end up being standalone or not.

My guess is they wrote it as a standalone game, but also left things open enough for sequels due to how dimensional travel works in V

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
In Z3-2, the game floods you with so much money you can FUB a lot of units even on first playthrough, but most likely not have enough items to actually fill up everyone if you pick +1 Item Slot for everyone, so I actually ended up taking S in Space just for +10% damage in the majority of end-game missions.

Different playstyles and all that, but I usually like to specialize my units/characters when it comes to deciding how to expend SP.

So in an actual example, I usually set aside a small handful of characters who I don't mind blowing their entire SP bank over several turns to take out grunts while also having another handful hang in the outskirts until it's time to burst on the boss - they're HP bloated, but generally not to the point that you need every single one of your 15-20 units at full power so the former grunt-fighting units having to sit out the boss doesn't really bother me at all.

Given the track record so far, I really hope V doesn't become a series.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

What do you people like to go for first in getting skills for your pilots? I'm always saving up to get those high value things like Continuous Action and so on but I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'd rather not have a V2 just because V already felt like it had a lot of post-plot series (or no plot series).

• Locked thread