Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Speaking of inheritance, someone in this thread recommended Beyond the Grave for its collection of BWM stories and I wanted to thank them. There aren't really that many stories, but it's well written and seeing people from the perspective of an inheritance attorney is hilarious. The theme of the book is basically that your children are awful, petty monsters.

There's also a chapter subtitled "Do you really want to leave everything to a charity that clothes naked horses?" which feels very appropriate for this thread.

Who's the author? There are a million books named Beyond the Grave, hard to find the right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sjonkel posted:

Who's the author? There are a million books named Beyond the Grave, hard to find the right one.

It's literally the first result when I search on Amazon.

Condon is the author.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6rfiyp/i_cosigner_for_my_sister_shes_missed_payments_and/ posted:

I cosigner for my sister, she's missed payments and now wants to return her car.

Long time lurker, first post. Here goes: As the title says, I (27) cosigned for my sister (21), on her vehicle. I got a call yesterday from a repo guy asking me where I was so that they could repossess the car. I asked how they got my number and they said they asked my bank (I'm gonna call the bank on this). I didn't give the repo guy much information, besides what I already knew. Which was that, my sister called the financing company and she would be making a payment next time she got paid.

I have called and messaged my sister, but I have yet to hear from her. I talked to my mom and she said that according to my sister, she will be returning the car bc she can no longer afford it. She she moved to another state and her insurance went up, between that and her car payment it's about $1100/month.

I am trying to help her and at the same time help myself, since I don't want my credit score to get hosed. Is there anything that I can do, so that my credit score doesn't take a nosedive if she returns her car?

Feeling really helpless and frustrated. I don't know what to do.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Bad With Money: I cosigned

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

That girl at Roanoke would be paying waaay to much for board. Stables are cheap and plentiful out there and unless she wants ridiculous fancy poo poo she could easily find a full-care place for less than $250 a month. If she actually cares for the horse herself she'd pay maybe $100.

Virtue posted:

Have we had any crazy horse guy stories yet? Why are the crazy horse people always girls?

Remember that Parelli Pyramid I posted a long time ago? Although Parelli is technically suckering other people out of their money and using it for himself/his wife.

The BWM horse guys exist (in the rodeo world mostly) but they've mostly been replaced by BWM car guys.

crazypeltast52 posted:

I assume we selected for individuals that are less apt to survive in the wild. Also I assume feed is less abrasive to teeth than foraging in the wild.

Wild horses seem to do ok, so maybe domesticated horses are the bulldogs of the equine world?

True wild horses (Przewalski's Horses) almost went extinct due to human hunting/habitat loss so there's only a few thousand of them alive. They're pony-sized and ponies tend to be healthier and live longer than bigger equines. Even so the Przewalski's, the feral mustangs in the US and brumbies in Australia rarely make it to 10 years old whereas domestic horses/ponies often live into their 30s.

Donkeys, both wild and domestic, are generally far healthier and smarter than their more glamorous relatives and have a better sense of self-preservation. A horse will shy at a piece of paper, a donkey will attack and kill a coyote who makes the mistake of wandering into their paddock. There's a reason donkeys and mules are used as pack animals on narrow mountain trails and canyon ledges. An ideal animal for the horse crazy person who doesn't want to burn all of their money at once.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Looks like I just missed all the harvard woman chat, but the one thing that stuck out for me from that article is it says that by the time she quit her job she was making "mid six figures." Even though her plan seemed to be to retire before she hit 30 and she accomplished that admirably, it seems odd to me to not just work another couple years making 500k and literally double her money. I suppose there's always gonna be that point where you just have to stop working because that's the goal, but drat.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Barry posted:

GWM or BWM?

Being an equine dentist is neutral. Not as lucrative as being a farrier (which is actually a fairly in-demand trade requiring just an apprenticeship) but does not normally require vet school and all those loans.

Paying for an equine dentist is very GWM since a horse with a sore tooth will starve and/or buck their rider off when the bit bumps the tooth.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Elysium posted:

Looks like I just missed all the harvard woman chat, but the one thing that stuck out for me from that article is it says that by the time she quit her job she was making "mid six figures." Even though her plan seemed to be to retire before she hit 30 and she accomplished that admirably, it seems odd to me to not just work another couple years making 500k and literally double her money. I suppose there's always gonna be that point where you just have to stop working because that's the goal, but drat.

some people use mid 6 figures to mean 500k, some people use mid 6 figures to mean 150k

I think she meant 150k, which I knew folks who got that right out of school

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

curufinor posted:

some people use mid 6 figures to mean 500k, some people use mid 6 figures to mean 150k

I think she meant 150k, which I knew folks who got that right out of school

If she was a senior analyst or junior VP at an investment bank it could easily have been $500k after bonus. The math of accumulating $2.25MM after 6-7 working years certainly implies such

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Elysium posted:

The junior analyst/VP career climb is stressful soul sucking work, it's very reasonable to want out of it as soon as financially possible. Also her husband still works.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's literally the first result when I search on Amazon.

Condon is the author.

Cheers! I was searching on Goodreads, and I only saw ghost stories or fantasy books with that name.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The junior analyst/VP career climb is stressful soul sucking work, it's very reasonable to want out of it as soon as financially possible. Also her husband still works.

On top of the hectic work environment, she probably would have had to pay about $250k of that income in tax, plus her living expenses in NYC trying to fit in with her peers. She probably could have saved about $200k a year.

I do like the fact that the husband still works though, that always cracks me up. I mean maybe he is also in the 1% income range, but it's funnier to imagine him as an average guy who will have to work for a decade to make $500k total.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

There's a lot of people getting sick of their jobs and I've found those earning that money tend to get sick of their work pretty drat quickly. Most of the engineers I know are wanting to retire once they've hit their 50's. Yet no one has retired, they just can't afford to. The real BWM, with respect to Harvard woman, is not saving a high percentage of a good professional income.

Like in Australia 23% of people do not believe they will retire before 70. Of course there's probably another 23% who don't realise they'll need to.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/too-poor-to-retire-more-australians-than-ever-will-work-past-70-20160408-go1ubf.html

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Devian666 posted:

Like in Australia 23% of people do not believe they will retire before 70. Of course there's probably another 23% who don't realise they'll need to.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/too-poor-to-retire-more-australians-than-ever-will-work-past-70-20160408-go1ubf.html

Why would someone need to retire before 70? Are there mandatory retirement ages there?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Why would someone need to retire before 70? Are there mandatory retirement ages there?

I suspect it's more "their bodies are too loving broken to continue doing physical labor"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, that makes sense in a terrible way.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

State pension payments kick in at 65 onwards, although it's not enough for most to survive these days. As hailthefish said there are a lot of physical workers where their bodies are hosed by 60.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

"I signed something to share the responsibility for payments so that the bank would actually agree to the loan, but now that the exact situation for which they required a cosigner occurs, I would like to renege. "

What do people think they're doing when they cosign? Do they even wonder why a bank is suddenly cool with giving someone money once someone else cosigns for it? Do they think it's the bank going, "hey family member, is this person totally cool with money? yes? ok, great, your totally unbiased opinion means a lot to us, here's $50k"

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ohgodwhat posted:

"I signed something to share the responsibility for payments so that the bank would actually agree to the loan, but now that the exact situation for which they required a cosigner occurs, I would like to renege. "

What do people think they're doing when they cosign? Do they even wonder why a bank is suddenly cool with giving someone money once someone else cosigns for it? Do they think it's the bank going, "hey family member, is this person totally cool with money? yes? ok, great, your totally unbiased opinion means a lot to us, here's $50k"
Yes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm a character witness to this anchor that's ruining my life.

She's great. Really. High quality.

I mean, I wouldn't lend her money buuuut...

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Virtue posted:

Have we had any crazy horse guy stories yet? Why are the crazy horse people always girls?

Does this count

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I should take a picture of this on my way to work, but there is a sign on my commute that uses that exact same font and color scheme. Except that it says:

CHEAP TREE CLIMBER!

ANY TREE AND 7 DAYS A WEEK!

It has no price listed, no contact information, and no description of what you are paying him to climb the tree for.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Factor Mystic posted:

Does this count

There's no gender, that could still be a lady :colbert:

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
that was the thread subtitle a few months ago
it could be the thread subtitle again
the spirit of horse compels you

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Virtue posted:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Oh hello Mr. Hands.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Never knew what he looked like, but somehow when I saw the picture...I knew :horse:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Poor young Lou Reed. Thought of horses and about a hour later died.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Guest2553 posted:

Never knew what he looked like, but somehow when I saw the picture...I knew :horse:

I never seen a photo of him either it was just instinct like you said, just a generation of watching hosed up videos on kazaa

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Elysium posted:

It's really hard to get off the treadmill when your comp keeps going up and up even as the hours and stress get worse and worse. Congrats to her on actually doing that.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

There's a lot of people getting sick of their jobs and I've found those earning that money tend to get sick of their work pretty drat quickly. Most of the engineers I know are wanting to retire once they've hit their 50's. Yet no one has retired, they just can't afford to. The real BWM, with respect to Harvard woman, is not saving a high percentage of a good professional income.

I think I fall within that 23%, even though I'm ~30. The retirement age will continue to go up and up, by the time I am 70, it will probably be 80.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

Does this count
Owner of a glue factory or a dog food factory. lol

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Suspicious Lump posted:

I think I fall within that 23%, even though I'm ~30. The retirement age will continue to go up and up, by the time I am 70, it will probably be 80.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't plan to live that long. :toot:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I assume that I will work until I die. Or, more likely, die shortly after I am no longer capable of working.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Only need the title for this one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6rhv98/i_gave_my_friend_6000_to_invest_in_stocks_and_now/

quote:

I gave my friend $6000 to invest in stocks and now they are not responding to me and blocked me from social media

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
My husband and I just moved to a small farm and everyone keeps saying we'll have to get a horse for our daughter when she's older.

I just smile and politely tell them that's not an option since I'm allergic. My dad took me riding once as a kid and then dropped me back at my mom's house wheezing with my eyes swelled shut. She was not amused and I ended up having a fun trip to an allergist after that.

I grew out of most of my other allergies so I may not be allergic anymore, but I've no desire to find out.

A big thing around here is mini horses. All the expense of a horse, none of the utility. Can't even ride them! They're really cute though...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

SquirrelFace posted:

A big thing around here is mini horses. All the expense of a horse, none of the utility. Can't even ride them! They're really cute though...

As they'd have to be bred specifically for that (read: inbred) I'm sure they actually are even more expensive than regular horses with even more maladies.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The "my income is bitcoin-based" guy whose landlord cashed all 22 of his rent checks posted an update.

It turns out that everyone involved with bitcoin is dumb and shady. Surprise!

quote:

[UPDATED] NYC: Landlord cashed all my rent checks at once.

I want to thank those who offered useful advice in my recent thread. I ended up spending the day talking to my attorney and landlord, trying to figure out what happened and how to address the situation.

Basically, the broker I was working with was a freaking scumbag.

In addition to the 15% fee he got from me, he was getting 10% of the money paid to the landlord. Since he controlled all communication, he managed to convince me that giving two years of checks was necessary to calm the landlord's concerns about me paying on time and being around to make those payments (the "does he have the money" concerns had been addressed by me providing detailed financials). At the same time, the broker told the landlord I would pay two years up front, which is the only way he would have been willing to rent to someone with present assents but a very uncertain income.

After working with the landlord, he's somewhat more comfortable with the idea that I'm not some sketchy scumbag, but still wants to have his money up front. I like the new place and anticipate staying here for much longer than my current lease. While inconvenient, this situation is something I can deal with.

The landlord is equally pissed at the broker, though, and he's paid me what the broker would have received and will help my effort to go after the broker. The guy lied about several things and I have more claims against him than just the misrepresentation about rent.

The email the broker sent explaining what a weirdo I was for writing a bunch of checks is pure comedy gold; it will make a wonderful exhibit in the complaint.
Moral of the story? NYC brokers are scum; don't trust them.

Several have asked what I do - my main business is connecting people who have gift cards / merchant credits but want bitcoin with people who want merchandise but have bitcoin. I also mine and trade bitcoins.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yep, I'd rather have the drug dealer. Much better chance of actually getting "merchandise".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Oh, if he's actually the guy that runs the biggest one of those services, then yes he could be making 40x the rent. He's acting directly as a money launderer for foreign nationals.