Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Frijolero posted:

Is there proof of them burning her deliberately?

Seems like both the Intercept and her were sloppy and then the FBI found her easily.

knowing how to protect your source is pretty basic stuff for any real journalist who expects to ever do anything more than reprinting press releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

well, the coboplypse has been some new material in the kind of old-school meltdowns you used to find on something awful, and at least some entertaining memes have arisen from it

like this:

What my brain still can't adjust to in the dark universe is that getting extremely mad online about memes is now the domain of influential political members and major news organizations instead of just idiots on dead comedy forums.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the only thing reality winner did wrong was trust the intercept

any other news outlet would know to not send the original documents that were leaked to them, back to the government

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

knowing how to protect your source is pretty basic stuff for any real journalist who expects to ever do anything more than reprinting press releases

"Up-and-coming Intercept puts their whole operation on the line to oust a source" is really stupid though.

The main critics of The Intercept's actions are mainstream media outlets (duh) so the whole thing is fishy. Also if zergeman is pushing it then it's likely a load of poo poo.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
http://blog.erratasec.com/2017/06/how-intercept-outed-reality-winner.html

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Frijolero posted:

"Up-and-coming Intercept puts their whole operation on the line to oust a source" is really stupid though.

The main critics of The Intercept's actions are mainstream media outlets (duh) so the whole thing is fishy. Also if zergeman is pushing it then it's likely a load of poo poo.

mostly it's just hard to believe that someone w/ greenwald's experience in shielding federal leakers would be so bad at it, if it wasn't deliberate

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

(From what I've heard, Greenwald didn't even work on that particular story. The Intercept definitely hosed up, though whether it was incompetence or apathy or malice or any combination of the above is a more open question.)

I don't want your blood money!
Oh, that doesn't matter, our expenses are good.
I don't need your blood money!
But you might as well take it. We think that you should.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

now post that one blog about how tulsi hates muslims

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

logikv9 posted:

Free Reality Winner

this but unironically

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

even tho she leaked those documents in the dumbest way possible

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Frijolero posted:

now post that one blog about how tulsi hates muslims

don't meltdown over this, it's not worth it

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Karl Barks posted:

even tho she leaked those documents in the dumbest way possible

a competent news outlet (or at least one that isn't deliberately trying to gently caress her) would've known about the dots and hid them themselves

she should've done more research to cover her tracks but with something so small as printer-based fingerprinting i can't blame her

it's tyool 2017 and you can't trust paper

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

logikv9 posted:

don't meltdown over this, it's not worth it

Relax I'm breaking your balls a little bit

Now go home and get your loving blog post

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

logikv9 posted:

a competent news outlet (or at least one that isn't deliberately trying to gently caress her) would've known about the dots and hid them themselves

she should've done more research to cover her tracks but with something so small as printer-based fingerprinting i can't blame her

nice cheese melt

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Frijolero posted:

nice cheese melt

i was tempted to post pictures of food then i realized this is the reason we chased out MIGF

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

logikv9 posted:

also how they literally only ran the story to get her in trouble and immediately disavowed it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

comedyblissoption posted:

how can you believe both that the wikileaks stuff was really damaging to the democrats and also that the wikileaks stuff revealed nothing damaging at all

To be fair, their argument is that the news and media blew up the email leaks making them a big deal, when there was little substance there. They made the fact that the highly classified emails with potentially damaging information were leaked, without reporting that they had no damaging information.

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I see the problem with this then. The issue is that if a politician keeps a bunch of relatively un-challenging and uncontroversial promises, they'll still count as having kept most of their promises. So this data doesn't necessarily validate the idea that politicians can be relied upon to keep any particular promise, since they generally make a bunch of other promises that are relatively easy to keep.

Hot take: Most politicians keep their promises, it's just that their promises are usually bad.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

logikv9 posted:

if you really want to argue about what racism is i can kick you to TGRS, forever

A fate worse than death.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

logikv9 posted:

wait u think they deliberately tried to gently caress her? lmao

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Karl Barks posted:

wait u think they deliberately tried to gently caress her? lmao

Jazerus posted:

mostly it's just hard to believe that someone w/ greenwald's experience in shielding federal leakers would be so bad at it, if it wasn't deliberate

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

this is a legitimately insane opinion

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

my god greenwald is a loving CIA psyop

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I keep forgetting what Glenn Greenwald looks like and keep imagining Andre from The League

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

jeremy scahill is also a government agent

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Willa Rogers posted:

oh wait, that $19k/year for medicare was actually the figure from 2012, lol.

wait, what's caused medicare costs to skyrocket that much? Even people putting off care in their early 60s shouldn't drive it that hard

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This establishment smear against The Intercept is actually super true, the NYT and Jonathan Chait said so.

Also, never mind that leakers shouldn't be arrested to begin with.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Leaks are good if they give me dirt on people I don't like

In all other cases they are capital crimes GIVE EM THE CHAIR

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

my god greenwald is a loving CIA psyop

no he's just really really brokebrained about Russia and also a self-important douche

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

greenwald is to liberals as fishmech is to people who think nutrition and sustenance are the same thing

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

hello suck zone do we have full gay space communism yet

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Greenwald has no politics aside from something to do with govern surveillance

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Soviet Yugoslavia, Jill Stein's ancestral home, committed treason against America :911:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

UHD posted:

hello suck zone do we have full gay space communism yet

If you go to space you can build your one-person economy however you want

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

loquacius posted:

If you go to space you can build your one-person economy however you want

brb calling roscosmos

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

zegermans posted:

no he's just really really brokebrained about Russia and also a self-important douche

i'm sorry that's he right like 95% of the time and that bothers you. it's understandable, i get it

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

i'm sorry that's he right like 95% of the time and that bothers you. it's understandable, i get it

that's cool and all but the other 5% is sending people to prison for maknig him fell dumb

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tom is being a good boy and doing the work

https://twitter.com/TomPerez/status/893096297556832257

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

zegermans posted:

that's cool and all but the other 5% is sending people to prison for maknig him fell dumb

yes remember when Glenn Greenwald passed anti-whistle blower legislation and then arrested that poor woman

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

zegermans posted:

hm the opposite of being right is being wrong so your statement is illogical :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zeg, stop posting so much, you're keeping me out of my rightful place in the top 5 Suck Zone thread posters :mad:

The more time he spends in the company of Bernie and out of the company of Obama, the better

• Locked thread