Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
well at least lets go to hell hasn't been that hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pleads posted:

He lost at least 3 pieces, including a bishop, to the opponent's king. That's mega bad at chess!!!

Huh, you're right. I was so caught up in the metaphor I wasn't paying attention to the actual game.

To be fair to Merle though the world is ending and his kids and all his friends could die at any second so he probably was having trouble concentrating.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm sure Griffin and Justin McElroy, Maximum Fun podcast personalities, feel a lot of pressure to say something. Griffin and Justin McElroy, Polygon employees, have Vox Media lawyers forbidding them from saying a single thing.

drat I keep forgetting Vox owns Polygon. Talk about uneven quality of your output, yeesh.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Because I didn't follow it very closely because I generally don't give a poo poo about Twitter drama.

I guess I must have misinterpreted your 18 posts about this since last night, half of which were dismissing the entire situation, as "following it closely" and "giving a poo poo".

Maybe just take this as a lesson to not defend people if you're not following a situation. Lots of opportunity for personal growth here :).

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
oofa doofa.

cool games inc is a joy, and i hope nick figures out his poo poo.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
well huh

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

inferis posted:

I mean I was sort of half joking but like, if you agree that misogyny exists on the internet it's not super far fetched to make the jump here

Yeah I mean "Young internet gamer that yells at developers on twitter and unironically posts about how much he wants to gently caress Krystal also kind of a creeper" isn't exactly a large leap. Just like when we learn about Griffin's secret weird DA commissions I'll just nod and say "Yeah that follows."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sorry man

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Farg posted:

well at least lets go to hell hasn't been that hot

I know it's still early, but I just don't see LGTH having the same legs as Car Boys even if Nick stays on. At least with Car Boys, it had a thriving mod community, so when things got stale, you could introduce a new car, object, or level and see where it takes you. LGTH is just a lot of doing the same thing to different games, and trying to wring comedy out of it, as opposed to Boundary Break, which is about showing off cool things, just isn't gonna work.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

All of this really sucks a lot.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The people who have written a shockingly large amount of actual Griffin/Nick erotica must have really red faces right now

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

oofa doofa.

cool games inc is a joy, and i hope nick figures out his poo poo.

This is the vibe I was getting from most people on Twitter who were posting about knowing what actually happened. Not that whatever it was was in a league of awfulness that they want Nick ruined or whatever, but that they hope he takes this as a chance to stop being a weird fucker to women he knows and chill.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

yeah it's super not great

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I hope the underage poo poo isn't true because IMHO you can't really come back from that, that's peak skeeze.

But it wouldn't totally shock me given how anime-immersed Nick is.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah even some of the OG posts were more 'get it together' than 'get fired'

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DoctorWhat posted:

I hope the underage poo poo isn't true because IMHO you can't really come back from that, that's peak skeeze.

But it wouldn't totally shock me given how anime-immersed Nick is.

nah feel like we'd be seeing a vastly different tone if it was underage stuff

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

(extremely solemn voice) this changes everything, nick

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
just look at that nick guy..... he has the hair of a pervertte

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ekeog posted:

The people who have written a shockingly large amount of actual Griffin/Nick erotica must have really red faces right now

Yea it's a rough day for me.

Blockhouse posted:

nah feel like we'd be seeing a vastly different tone if it was underage stuff

well why not posted:

yeah even some of the OG posts were more 'get it together' than 'get fired'

Yea if this was Seriously Bad poo poo it feels like there'd be a lot more overt vitriol than subtweeting and snark. That said there's unfortunately a lot of ground between 'creepy and uncomfortable to be around but harmless' and 'Seriously Bad poo poo'.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
gonna replace CGI with Polygon Show and I'm already excited to get some weekly Simone

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

I guess I must have misinterpreted your 18 posts about this since last night, half of which were dismissing the entire situation, as "following it closely" and "giving a poo poo".

Maybe just take this as a lesson to not defend people if you're not following a situation. Lots of opportunity for personal growth here :).
This wasnt directed at me but I wanna say that I still think how this popped off was in bad faith with bloodyhoney's attempt at a "dunk on 'em!!" sick burn for high fives, instead of collecting stories, vetting them, and reporting them while protecting the anonymity of the sources, and that immediately put me off. Because optically "heres my issue with overcooked" "DUNK ON EM" looks like essentially a driveby shitpost. And then you had people bringing up Nick's "wife" and the fuckin Internet Telephone game began. so like, it started in a bad place and then got worse, because no one would pass along an actual story with the victim's name removed, so it was like a shitpost katamari damacy rolling up and up and up.

Meanwhile the people also tweeting about women being afraid to speak up could have also been interpreted as "what's going on now is similar to an experience I had" rather than "Nick specifically did something that I know about". because it was all subtweets and vagueness and innuendo. combined with the shitposts.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 4, 2017

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Is it time to name this controversy? I vote for LandonGate

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Poque posted:

gonna replace CGI with Polygon Show and I'm already excited to get some weekly Simone

game for this solution tbh

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

possible silver lining: griffin-and-Pat content

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, definitely. I mean, being perfectly honest I will probably continue to make jokes about things without digging deeply into them, but I shouldn't have. I hosed up.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 4, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the problem is that in any case where people are going to want water-tight details just removing the victim's name is not going to stop people from trying to use the context of the story to figure out who it is

so even people who know a lot more than they're letting on are hesitant to gently caress over someone by saying too much

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I also apologize for being probably more dismissive than I would normally be just because I like the dude involved. That's something I make fun of all the time and I should do better than that.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Pinterest Mom posted:

Everything one needs to know was pretty clearly laid out in this thread, and you still kept mocking and dismissing it, so, maybe, try introspection and asking yourself why you were really holding on to reasons to not believe that this was happening instead of being snarky?

Saying anything's been clearly laid out in this thread is a bit of a stretch, since everything is still super vague, and the twitter drama coverage was interspersed with people hand-wringing about whether or not Griffin enabled Nick's actions (reminder: we still don't know what those are) or declaring that liking selfies is definitive proof of sex crime. Can't really blame anybody for not taking this seriously right away.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This is a new low for internet scandals.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

the problem is that in any case where people are going to want water-tight details just removing the victim's name is not going to stop people from trying to use the context of the story to figure out who it is

so even people who know a lot more than they're letting on are hesitant to gently caress over someone by saying too much
I disagree because you can say "An anonymous indie dev reached out to me to say that Nick DMed her asking for nudes" and it's not going to lead people to anyone in particular. And that would've been enough for me to say "Nick you DUMB FUCKER". You don't have to get into the major details like "An anonymous friend of mine who worked at Volition was approached by Nick at GDC etc etc etc" where people can triangulate poo poo. Just say "hey this journalist shared with me that she was harassed by Nick (x) times"

I take that stuff way more seriously than a sudden DUNK ON EM driveby shitpost with no clarification. like i said when this first broke "this'll be a bummer if it's true" but I also couldn't tell if this was a real thing or if it was one of those 'not your shield' things because twitter is a blighted wasteland of bad actors

A close personal friend of his breaking away is real real stuff.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 4, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 4, 2017

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

New Butt Order posted:

Saying anything's been clearly laid out in this thread is a bit of a stretch, since everything is still super vague, and the twitter drama coverage was interspersed with people hand-wringing about whether or not Griffin enabled Nick's actions (reminder: we still don't know what those are) or declaring that liking selfies is definitive proof of sex crime. Can't really blame anybody for not taking this seriously right away.

No one's blaming anyone for not taking this seriously right away, they're blaming people from going "this is bullshit" right away

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Had no idea what the Krystal thing y'all were talking about was. Turns out it's pretty :lol:

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/846175364418158593

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I understand the impulse to ask what the specific allegations are, because that's usually my own impulse. But here's the thing with this particular situation: clearly a lot of people have been treating Nick like a missing stair for a while. If circles of people I consider trustworthy are all passing around the message "be careful around this guy", that's a ringing alarm bell even if they're not publicly sharing the specifics of what he did. No, it's not evidence in itself, but it sure seems like there's a lot of smoke.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DoctorWhat posted:

possible silver lining: griffin-and-Pat content

God I hope so. I adore Pat. If he goes all milkshake duck as well I might have to kill myself.

Nick has been silent on Twitter for 15 hours which is unlike him. He's obviously dealing with this in some capacity.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd like to know if I need to start calling him a rapist like Faraci, or if this is something less severe.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Supercar Gautier posted:

treating Nick like a missing stair

Is this a McElroyism or what

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Quest For Glory II posted:

This wasnt directed at me but I wanna say that I still think how this popped off was in bad faith with bloodyhoney's attempt at a "dunk on 'em!!" sick burn for high fives, instead of collecting stories, vetting them, and reporting them while protecting the anonymity of the sources, and that immediately put me off. Because optically "heres my issue with overcooked" "DUNK ON EM" looks like essentially a driveby shitpost.

Yeah, the guy stepping up and calling Nick out on his bullshit and triggering a general venting about it is definitely acting in bad faith because he didn't prepare a full legal case to present to you beforehand.

When things like this spill out of private channels like this, it's going to be messy. This is hosed up real life, not content. It's not there for you.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, definitely. I mean, being perfectly honest I will probably continue to make jokes about things without digging deeply into them, but I shouldn't have. I hosed up.

I was 80% more snarky with you than I needed to be, and I'm sorry about that - I wasn't really treating you like you were engaging in good faith. I appreciate this.

Quest For Glory II posted:

This wasnt directed at me but I wanna say that I still think how this popped off was in bad faith with bloodyhoney's attempt at a "dunk on 'em!!" sick burn for high fives, instead of collecting stories, vetting them, and reporting them while protecting the anonymity of the sources, and that immediately put me off. Because optically "heres my issue with overcooked" "DUNK ON EM" looks like essentially a driveby shitpost. And then you had people bringing up Nick's "wife" and the fuckin Internet Telephone game began. so like, it started in a bad place and then got worse, because no one would pass along an actual story with the victim's name removed, so it was like a shitpost katamari damacy rolling up and up and up.

Meanwhile the people also tweeting about women being afraid to speak up could have also been interpreted as "what's going on now is similar to an experience I had" rather than "Nick specifically did something that I know about". because it was all subtweets and vagueness and innuendo. combined with the shitposts.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that I don't think skepticism is a healthy first response to this kind of stuff - we've seen a lot of internet whisper and smear campaigns that were entirely manufactured over the years, and they look a lot like how this situation developed. Given how much the games media is balkanised right now, and how different personalities communicate with different audiences, using different codes, and have credibility built up with different audiences, it's really not surprising that "if Gita Jackson and Austin Walker are subtweeting about this, it's definitely a real thing" carries more weight for some people than it did others.

But, yeah, basically this:

SoupyTwist posted:

No one's blaming anyone for not taking this seriously right away, they're blaming people from going "this is bullshit" right away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

Is this a McElroyism or what

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_stair

quote:

Missing stair is a term used to describe a sexual predator who many people know cannot be trusted, but who, rather than shunning, they work around by trying to quietly warn others. The analogy is to a structural fault in a house, such as a missing stair, that everyone who lives in the house has gotten used to and warns newcomers about, rather than fixing.