Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

He started this plotline by talking poo poo about dog shelters like I have never seen anyone do before but abruptly shifted to this.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he was just trying to make a bad joke, and that he doesn't genuinely believe that shelters photoshop their animals to be cuter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The gay robot agenda.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

The gay robot agenda.

Somewhere Branco's eye is twitching.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dees, Garrison, Branco all fell for the :siren:DEEP STATE:siren: (am I missing any thread regulars?)
The first two were a given but I'm surprised that Branco jumped on the bandwagon, I considered him to be a more mainstream shithead.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I wonder how angry Branco gets while he's drawing Schumer and Pelosi.

I'm guessing the answer is "very"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Dees, Garrison, Branco all fell for the :siren:DEEP STATE:siren: (am I missing any thread regulars?)
The first two were a given but I'm surprised that Branco jumped on the bandwagon, I considered him to be a more mainstream shithead.

nah, Branco was The Voice Of The Tea Party before they got eaten by Trumpism

like, he was Ted Cruz's biggest fan back when Ted Cruz was the crazy outsider rather than the sane establishment choice

He's been drawing rhinoceroses and dumb elephants labeled "GOP EST" since making Mexico pay for the wall was a twinkle in Trump's eye

He only seems "mainstream" now because the GOP's inmates are now running the asylum in name as well as in practice

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Last year a student in my class had to withdraw from his senior year of high school due to multiple concussions on the football field. I could personally loving observe the change in cognition. Eat poo poo, Bennett.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

loquacius posted:

nah, Branco was The Voice Of The Tea Party before they got eaten by Trumpism

like, he was Ted Cruz's biggest fan back when Ted Cruz was the crazy outsider rather than the sane establishment choice

He's been drawing rhinoceroses and dumb elephants labeled "GOP EST" since making Mexico pay for the wall was a twinkle in Trump's eye

He only seems "mainstream" now because the GOP's inmates are now running the asylum in name as well as in practice

Don't forget Branco has drawn multiple cartoons featuring SHADOW OBAMA.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Last year a student in my class had to withdraw from his senior year of high school due to multiple concussions on the football field. I could personally loving observe the change in cognition. Eat poo poo, Bennett.

I think Bennett is on your side here.

His point is that parents are (correctly) concerned about the safety of playing football, he's not mocking football players.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I don't think that's a pro-concussion cartoon (pro-football? Anti-concussion-awareness? I dunno what term to use exactly but the point is Bennett probably doesn't think the kid's mom is being dumb)

Of course it's still a flawed cartoon in that CTE is a separate issue from concussions and doesn't actually require blows to the head to occur at all

Also while I'm disputing other people's interpretations of cartoons I don't think Tinsley is anti-dog-shelter either, I think he was just making jokes about how he's a cynical crusty rear end in a top hat who can't even look at cute dogs without trying to act like he's angry about how cute they are

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Facebook AI shut down after it invents its own language

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

Also while I'm disputing other people's interpretations of cartoons I don't think Tinsley is anti-dog-shelter either, I think he was just making jokes about how he's a cynical crusty rear end in a top hat who can't even look at cute dogs without trying to act like he's angry about how cute they are

It's still really loving with me that a duck is trying to adopt an animal that views him as prey.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

that article posted:

Alice: balls have zero to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to

Bob: you i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me

Bob: i i can i i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me

Bob: i . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Bob: you i i i i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alice: balls have 0 to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to

Bob: you i i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

https://twitter.com/geraldmellor/st...-chatbot-racist

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WampaLord posted:

It's still really loving with me that a duck is trying to adopt an animal that views him as prey.

I can understand this reaction, definitely, but, in my opinion, you're attributing too much worldbuilding to the Mallard Fillmore universe. Yeah, I know, that's a really :goonsay: thing to say but I'm committed to this post now so strap in.

Like, it's not a world where there are animal people, because no other character is an animal of any kind (except the ones where dinosaurs or fish make metaphors about how black people will kill us all, which are pretty clearly outside the continuity of the rest of the strip since, eg, Mallard and Dumb Jew Editor never sit down for coffee with a stupid liberal apatosaurus or a scary Islam shark). There aren't any other duck people with their own duck-person culture or anything. Really, when you come down to it, no character ever really acknowledges in any way that Mallard is a duck, including Mallard himself. Unless I'm forgetting something.

The strip makes a lot more sense if you take it as a given that the reader is the only person who sees Mallard as a duck (in service of the pun in the strip's name and for no other reason). Every character in the strip itself sees him as the fat, balding, post-middle-age white human he is. I'd put money down that if Tinsley ever introduced Mallard's immediate family members, they'd be humans.

It would actually be a pretty clever self-aware detail if Mallard adopted a dog and it alone out of every character in the strip was able to perceive him as a duck, but I doubt this will happen.

Tay was a complete success from a scientific perspective. I will die on this hill. :colbert: Essentially, it was a learning algorithm whose knowledge-base was entirely composed of Twitter trolls, and it successfully learned how to be a fantastic and convincing Twitter troll. The only reason it got taken down was that having a Nazi robot was bad PR. If I were Microsoft Research I'd have given the algorithm a new, anonymous Twitter account immediately without telling anyone, and I'd bet money that's exactly what they did.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

WampaLord posted:

I think Bennett is on your side here.

His point is that parents are (correctly) concerned about the safety of playing football, he's not mocking football players.

loquacius posted:

I don't think that's a pro-concussion cartoon (pro-football? Anti-concussion-awareness? I dunno what term to use exactly but the point is Bennett probably doesn't think the kid's mom is being dumb)

Of course it's still a flawed cartoon in that CTE is a separate issue from concussions and doesn't actually require blows to the head to occur at all

You're probably right. I teach in Texas so I have a massive hate for the high school football culture here, I probably got a little knee-jerky here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

I can understand this reaction, definitely, but, in my opinion, you're attributing too much worldbuilding to the Mallard Fillmore universe. Yeah, I know, that's a really :goonsay: thing to say but I'm committed to this post now so strap in.

Like, it's not a world where there are animal people, because no other character is an animal of any kind (except the ones where dinosaurs or fish make metaphors about how black people will kill us all, which are pretty clearly outside the continuity of the rest of the strip since, eg, Mallard and Dumb Jew Editor never sit down for coffee with a stupid liberal apatosaurus or a scary Islam shark). There aren't any other duck people with their own duck-person culture or anything. Really, when you come down to it, no character ever really acknowledges in any way that Mallard is a duck, including Mallard himself. Unless I'm forgetting something.

The strip makes a lot more sense if you take it as a given that the reader is the only person who sees Mallard as a duck (in service of the pun in the strip's name and for no other reason). Every character in the strip itself sees him as the fat, balding, post-middle-age white human he is. I'd put money down that if Tinsley ever introduced Mallard's immediate family members, they'd be humans.

It would actually be a pretty clever self-aware detail if Mallard adopted a dog and it alone out of every character in the strip was able to perceive him as a duck, but I doubt this will happen.

MY IMMERSION!!!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

loquacius posted:

Per official Mallard lore, he is a diversity hire as an Avian-American.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Thanks. It took some scrolling, but I found the smoking gun.

BOOM! He's a duck! That dog is going to kill him!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xander77 posted:

In my memory he was a diversity hire as a token conservative rather than a token bird, but even with this information I stand by my analysis :colbert:

I file this tidbit under "one-off racist joke" rather than "worldbuilding element," since Mallard's species never comes up as a plot element ever again and his character's strongest self-identification is pretty blatantly just "Limbaugh devotee"

Mallard can never make jokes about how alone in the world he feels as the only bird he knows, because that would imply that minorities in this country are at some sort of disadvantage, when as everybody knows the country's most oppressed people are conservatives. So it just never comes up again, and Mallard is for all intents and purposes just a white guy.

Y'know. Like the kid from Prickly City.

e: From that same link (kudos on the profile btw):

loquacius fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 4, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Hehehe... balls.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xander77 posted:

are you mother loving making GBS threads me

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Seamus Jennings on Venezuela – Venezuela’s opposition has announced plans to block the inauguration of a contentious constituent assembly whose election was further clouded on Wednesday by fresh allegations of ballot fraud"

Telegraph:

‘Not about the money’: Neymar checks in at PSG relishing his new challenge

Independent:

Russia sanctions: Trump signs bill imposing new measures

Times:

Evening Standard:

Grand jury used in Trump-Russia investigation

Mail:
Mac on... Designer babies

'Yes. It was the dawn of designer babies way back in 2017 - my mother was a big fan of Picasso.'

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can I take another moment btw to fully appreciate the face from this panel

because I'm really impressed at how good a Bruce Tinsley self-portrait this is even though it is a drawing of a cartoon duck

That facial expression just captures him so well

you can just feel him suppressing the urge to reach for his hip flask

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
These old Mallard Filmore cartoons look like they might have actually taken a little time to draw. About when did Tinsley give up completely?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dr Cheeto posted:

These old Mallard Filmore cartoons look like they might have actually taken a little time to draw. About when did Tinsley give up completely?
Early 21st century, like every other cartoonist.

Potato Salad posted:

are you mother loving making GBS threads me
?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 4, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

loquacius posted:

In my memory he was a diversity hire as a token conservative rather than a token bird, but even with this information I stand by my analysis :colbert:

I file this tidbit under "one-off racist joke" rather than "worldbuilding element," since Mallard's species never comes up as a plot element ever again and his character's strongest self-identification is pretty blatantly just "Limbaugh devotee"

Mallard can never make jokes about how alone in the world he feels as the only bird he knows, because that would imply that minorities in this country are at some sort of disadvantage, when as everybody knows the country's most oppressed people are conservatives. So it just never comes up again, and Mallard is for all intents and purposes just a white guy.

Y'know. Like the kid from Prickly City.

e: From that same link (kudos on the profile btw):

It's like if Howard the Duck was written by an idiot.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PICTURED: the thread reacts to a Mallard Fillmore

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

loquacius posted:

Tay was a complete success from a scientific perspective. I will die on this hill. :colbert: Essentially, it was a learning algorithm whose knowledge-base was entirely composed of Twitter trolls, and it successfully learned how to be a fantastic and convincing Twitter troll. The only reason it got taken down was that having a Nazi robot was bad PR. If I were Microsoft Research I'd have given the algorithm a new, anonymous Twitter account immediately without telling anyone, and I'd bet money that's exactly what they did.
And that account...was @realdonaldtrump.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

A-are you my old organic prof, come back to life?:ohdear:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Throwing shade at the Internet's favorite sassy gay uncle? Yeah, that's gonna go well.

EDIT: Did Takei even say anything about Shatner sticking his dick in the soup, or is this Garrison just lashing out?

He's taking a slap at furries, like a decade or so after most of the Internet moved on. Sounds like lashing out to me.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I figured that he lashes out on furries and sjws because if he mentioned Jews and blacks specifically he'd be kicked out of every business platform he is using.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

Can I take another moment btw to fully appreciate the face from this panel

because I'm really impressed at how good a Bruce Tinsley self-portrait this is even though it is a drawing of a cartoon duck

That facial expression just captures him so well

you can just feel him suppressing the urge to reach for his hip flask

It just kinda remind me of Inspector Canardo, but as a bitter shithead instead of a depressed investigator.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Wow how is this the first time this has come up when discussing Tinsley in this thread?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dork457 posted:

Wow how is this the first time this has come up when discussing Tinsley in this thread?
Maybe this is sarcasm, but it isn't.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm surprised no-one has made a Smash Bros joke about Drunky's latest arc.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

Maybe this is sarcasm, but it isn't.
It totally is though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sarcasm or the first time :tinsley: has been compared to Canardo?

• Locked thread