Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jazerus posted:

mostly it's just hard to believe that someone w/ greenwald's experience in shielding federal leakers would be so bad at it, if it wasn't deliberate

didn't greenwald hook up snowden with poitras bc greenwald himself didn't understand the concept of encrypted email?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It wasn't that he didn't understand the concept, but he was too bad at computer to be able to follow Snowden's instructions

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Willa Rogers posted:

that figure is for those on medicare aged 65+.

I reckon it's a combination of factors, from Part D calling for the government to subsidize retail pharma pricing to "that last year of life accounts for x of medical spending" (aka "end-of-life care") to private insurers' profits being capped under the ACA at a *percentage* of medical costs, which does nothing to rein in inflationary medical pricing.

Plus, you know, medical inflation, which has outpaced other sectors for a long time.

Here's a KFF study from a few years ago that examines the various factors, including increased longevity.

Thanks. I'm still not totally clear why private insurers even get involved with Medicare itself (ignoring supplement/advantage), despite having worked on cases involving it.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Never attribute to malice that which adequately fits my ideology.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Frijolero posted:

Never attribute to malice that which adequately fits my ideology.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Thanks. I'm still not totally clear why private insurers even get involved with Medicare itself (ignoring supplement/advantage), despite having worked on cases involving it.

I don't think you *can* ignore supplemental/advantage bc private insurers' profits on those programs are greater than their profits in the individual market.

But my point was that the ACA did little to deincentivize medical costs' going down bc private insurers (in non-medicare markets) benefit financially from higher medical & pharma costs.

eta: From a 2016 nyt story on pharma pricing:

quote:

Makers have raised prices on brand-name drugs by double-digit percentages since the start of the year, according to interviews with executives at Express Scripts and CVS Caremark, two major drug-benefit managers. And a report last week by the research firm IMS Health found that in 2015, list prices for drugs increased more than 12 percent, in line with the trend over the five previous years.

“It used to be the drug companies only took one price increase a year,” said Dr. Steve Miller, chief medical officer at Express Scripts. “Now what they’re doing is taking multiple price increases multiple times a year.”

Sure glad harry reid pulled the dorgan amendment from the aca that would have allowed drug importation because it "only" had 59 votes in favor.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Aug 4, 2017

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

my conspiracy theory: Greenwald is a huge dumbass who hires fellow huge dumbasses

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Fallen Hamprince posted:

my conspiracy theory: Greenwald is a huge dumbass who hires fellow huge dumbasses

congratulations on your position at the intercept hamprince

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Haha Glenn Greenwald is such a loving idiot

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

February 24 2016, 2:17 p.m.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

February 24 2016, 2:17 p.m.

Just to think 7 days later the primary would already be over

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

zegermans posted:

Just to think 7 days later the primary would already be over

why think about the general when you can revel in the primary

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

why think about the general when you can revel in the primary

why walk when you can ride

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

not a big ol nerd, had to google the ref

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

"why the super delegates must give the nomination to bernie" is definitely a take to have

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Karl Barks posted:

liar

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't think it actually got used, since the initial reaction to it appearing on like one press release or whatever was so universally uproarious.

Well what did the hillary campaign team think about that, I wonder?

http://designobserver.com/feature/im-with-her/39523

quote:

Then there was Donald Trump. Bad typography; amateurish design; haphazard, inconsistent, downright ugly communications. When the Trump / Pence monogram was mocked for its how-did-they-miss-that salaciousness, their campaign team committed the ultimate act of weakness: they blinked and took it down without comment. The Republican convention was a gruesome and tawdry spectacle. And everything was topped off with nothing more than a red hat with a badly kerned, caps-locked slogan.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Why X when you can Y

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

so what you're saying is

you make a special google, just for me?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Well what did the hillary campaign team think about that, I wonder?

http://designobserver.com/feature/im-with-her/39523

Why did these guys think Hillary crashing into the two towers was a good logo

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/893570751391027200

who is the hill lanyard

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

why cant the hill shut the gently caress up about her

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Hate clicks -> The Hill profits -> more The Hill Chelsea Clinton reporting. Don't feed the media beast on this

That said, things keep happening like some "Chelsea Clinton got an award on the cover of Variety Magazine" headline, I look more into it and the non-profit's website lists The Clinton Foundation as one of their principal donors at the bottom of the front page of their website, as if they're trying to "make" news events, and it's kinda tiring

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

"why the super delegates must give the nomination to bernie" is definitely a take to have

An outrageous, untenable, and ultimately, in hindsight, completely correct take.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

zegermans posted:

please do not tell a mother to shut up about her daughter

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

zegermans posted:

Because they freaky fridayed with the staff of teen vogue

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zegermans posted:

She's running for president, as is everybody from that experimental reptile DNA batch (see Zuck).

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

She's running for president, as is everybody from that experimental reptile DNA batch (see Zuck).

lol nah

I mean zuck is totally running but i doubt chelsea will

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
In my dream Z-Berg runs against Bernie or a Bernie heir-apparent and blows billions only to lose the primary bigly, after which Bernie/heir goes on to permanently & brutally stump the Trump. Around that point I usually wake up in my nutrient casket and focus on trying to drown myself before the monitoring ai detects unauthorized activity and reaccommodates me.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

She's running for president, as is everybody

You've already been here before
You already know where it goes
You chose this, you know it's supposed to be over

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Vox Nihili posted:

In my dream Z-Berg runs against Bernie or a Bernie heir-apparent and blows billions only to lose the primary bigly, after which Bernie/heir goes on to permanently & brutally stump the Trump. Around that point I usually wake up in my nutrient casket and focus on trying to drown myself before the monitoring ai detects unauthorized activity and reaccommodates me.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

he's got my vote

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

penniless lobster doctor 2020

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

UHD posted:

he's got my vote

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

UHD posted:

lol nah

I mean zuck is totally running but i doubt chelsea will

Sorry, it doesn't matter if it makes sense, it's just part of her programming, she is as much of a victim in this scenario as you and me, but she needs to be stopped.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/samknight1/status/893547086360326144

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

prisons are fine, filling them with people who have done no harm to society is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
more of a gulag guy myself

• Locked thread