Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

The Iron Rose posted:

Man I should be a police informant because apparently people are just loving dying to confess their criminal conspiracies to me.

Reported that poo poo, hands waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay the gently caress off this now.

Our office says IT.

I should say Therapy with the amount of poo poo we hear from ~everyone~. I know more about stuff I shouldn't know about than I care to. I'm glad I can keep my mouth shut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Be wary of HR unless you are very sure what they did is an issue. Their #1 priority is to protect the business, and that doesn't always intersect with your own issues the way you think it would.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Siochain posted:

Our office says IT.

I should say Therapy with the amount of poo poo we hear from ~everyone~. I know more about stuff I shouldn't know about than I care to. I'm glad I can keep my mouth shut.

So very much this. Bonus points for people assuming that you won't be insulted when they tell you how much they dislike you, or how they think they're better than you and should have a higher paycheck because ~egos~.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Oh man I missed a boatload of frantic messages that she sent me at 5 in the morning, assuring me that I would "in no way be violating my security obligations."

Bitch this is source code you wrote for us. Even if it was just vacation photos or a dick pic collection, I'd be violating my security obligations because I have no way to verify that she hasn't masked the files in some way.

Anyways mostly panicking because our lawyer said they'd have to do a wipe, which probably explains why she wanted me to not only clone her hard drive, but also export code she wrote over the internet to a server in her control. She wanted me to do this from my loving office.

Shockingly, no one here really seems to care that much. Apparently since they're wiping it anyways it's whatever.

My hands are clean though. Took screenshots of the messages, drafted an email detailing everything and sent it to my manager and to my personal email account. If someone hangs for this, it sure as hell won't be me.

My first day! Jesus.

E: I can't wait to see what she sends me when she realizes that I reported her.

Don't worry, I'm a generous gal. I'll share with the class.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 4, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Iron Rose posted:

Shockingly, no one here really seems to care that much. Apparently since they're wiping it anyways it's whatever.

My hands are clean though. Took screenshots of the messages, drafted an email detailing everything and sent it to my manager and to my personal email account. If someone hangs for this, it sure as hell won't be me.

Until it migrates it's way up the chain, and a C-level gets told that a competitor tried to steal our source code, then it's all hands on dick emergency time.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Until it migrates it's way up the chain, and a C-level gets told that a competitor tried to steal our source code, then it's all hands on dick emergency time.

:confused:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

We've said man, we're here for you. And if that requires touch you, we will.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I don't see what's confusing given your avatar.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh man I missed a boatload of frantic messages that she sent me at 5 in the morning, assuring me that I would "in no way be violating my security obligations."

Bitch this is source code you wrote for us. Even if it was just vacation photos or a dick pic collection, I'd be violating my security obligations because I have no way to verify that she hasn't masked the files in some way.

Anyways mostly panicking because our lawyer said they'd have to do a wipe, which probably explains why she wanted me to not only clone her hard drive, but also export code she wrote over the internet to a server in her control. She wanted me to do this from my loving office.

My first day! Jesus.

E: I can't wait to see what she sends me when she realizes that I reported her.

Don't worry, I'm a generous gal. I'll share with the class.
Keep up with this, don't ever stop demonstrating intent to destroy the data, but give her the files.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

anthonypants posted:

Keep up with this, don't ever stop demonstrating intent to destroy the data, but give her the files.

Oh man the less talked about option C. Could have our own HBO special on hand here.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sirotan please read the goon in the well story, your indecision about what to do is slowly turning you into the goon in the well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

anthonypants posted:

This was her offer to me, and I quote:

"It's convenient that you're the current hardware master, this is technically social engineering. Your cooperation would be met with much personal respect and likely several several lunch and drink tabs."

I'm actually insulted that she thinks that I'm so easily bought.

Gee, thanks. I'll definitely be really happy I have your personal respect from the inside of a cell.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"They'd gotten an intern to wipe it before I could get to it, sorry."

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

This was her offer to me, and I quote:

"It's convenient that you're the current hardware master, this is technically social engineering. Your cooperation would be met with much personal respect and likely several several lunch and drink tabs."

I'm actually insulted that she thinks that I'm so easily bought.

Gee, thanks. I'll definitely be really happy I have your personal respect from the inside of a cell.

lol at trying to bribe someone to steal source code with some free meals and drinks.

Edit: And bonus 'personal respect'. If I have to buy someone's respect, then what is it worth?

Edit2: This reminds me of the coworker I had that tried to get me to 'help'(read: do for him) an exam that involved refreshing A+ level information. I reported him and all that happened is that he got someone else to do it for him. :eng99:

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 4, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

And what do you know, I just learned that I'm getting a $5000 raise. Because they didn't think the previous salary I was quoted when I accepted the job literally yesterday was "fair to me."

I think that might just be the quickest raise ever received on record.

Man now I'm really curious about that source code.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 4, 2017

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

And what do you know, I just learned that I'm getting a $5000 raise. Because they didn't think the previous salary I was quoted when I accepted the job literally yesterday was "fair to me."

Man now I'm really curious about that source code.

Was her name Slugworth? I think you may be winning a chocolate factory.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dear HP support,

I buy extended warranties because I don't work at an MSP anymore and have 0 interest in troubleshooting lovely hardware problems. Please send just send me a shipper and stop asking me to cannibalize workstations in production to do your work.

Thanks.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Calling it - management and this ex-employee are colluding to see who they can and can't trust with proprietary data. She may still even be on the payroll...

slightpirate fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 4, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Lol at people not keeping personal archives of everything you've done at work.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

MF_James posted:

Lol at people not keeping personal archives of everything you've done at work.

"Your Honor, I'd like to submit my posting history on the 'dead and gay comedy forum' Something Awful as evidence."

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
A chat came in:

12:13PM :confused: : Hi!
12:25PM :what: : Hey, if you let me know the issue when you say hi, I can help you quicker. It'll be easier for both of us instead of waiting for me to say hi back and I can prioritize better. If you're issue is a P1, I can stop what I'm doing and help you.
12:26PM :confused: : Hi!
12:45PM :what: : ...

Is it rude to just reply with http://www.nohello.com

Tigren fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 4, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tigren posted:

A chat came in:

12:25PM :what: : Hey, if you let me know the issue when you say hi, I can help you quicker. It'll be easier for both of us instead of waiting for me to say hi back and I can prioritize better. If you're issue is a P1, I can stop what I'm doing and help you.

Is it rude to just reply with https://www.nohello.com
Yes, because that website doesn't support https.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Yes, because that website doesn't support https.

Turns out SA automatically adds https if you leave it off.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tigren posted:

A chat came in:

Is it rude to just reply with http://www.nohello.com

Uh... Saying hello is good. And polite.
Edit: And if someone wrote those :words: about saying hi, I'd also probably respond with hi.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 4, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm feel like I'm in the minority in this industry. But I feel like a little bit of small talk around these interactions is good and important.

It helps humanize the user to you, and you to the user. It goes a long way into influencing how people perceive each other, and makes the working environment more pleasant overall.

That being said, there are still plenty of assholes that will treat you like poo poo no matter what.

edit: Basically, what I'm saying is that if someone said hi to me, I'd respond with "Hey, how is your day going?" not some rant about them not immediately complaining about a problem.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Uh... Saying hello is good. And polite.
Edit: And if someone wrote those :words: about saying hi, I'd also probably respond with hi.

They aren't saying to NOT say Hello. They are saying to not say JUST Hello.

So, instead of just seeing "Hello" in support chat, you see "Hello. When I access the intranet site, I am getting a 501 error. What can we do about this?"

See? SO MUCH better.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
ERROR: INEFFICIENT HUMAN INTERACTION DETECTED

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Do you get mad if the other person just says hi back

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

I got a raise in between receiving a job contract and signing it - sent it late at night on June the 23rd last year, signed it the next day, for a job defined in dollars but paid in pounds.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Yeah. You've obviously never done any real support. You have limited time to spend on each case, but you can't really tell a client that. So, yeah, go do your thing then come back when you have some experience.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Yeah. You've obviously never done any real support. You have limited time to spend on each case, but you can't really tell a client that. So, yeah, go do your thing then come back when you have some experience.

You're assuming a lot about me based on my post, and I'm assuming a lot about you based on this post, so we'll just go on our separate ways equally ignorant. :)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

There is nothing wrong with help desk... But there is much more in IT than processing faceless users through a phone queue.
For example: I have never worked in help desk, and if I took that attitude towards my users or coworkers I'd be fired by the end of the day.
Treat everyone as a human being and you will go far.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

You're assuming a lot about me based on my post, and I'm assuming a lot about you based on this post, so we'll just go on our separate ways equally ignorant. :)

Fair enough. Pax.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet working as intended.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

it's not an assumption on his part, just a logical extension based on your dumb post.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
WHAT R U WEARING???

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

WHAT R U WEARING???

IBM Type M with the coiled PS/2 cable. You wanna feel the heft of my steel back plate and experience the tension in my keys?? :heysexy:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Elizabethan Error posted:

it's not an assumption on his part, just a logical extension based on your dumb post.

P sure he's talked about being in helldesk multiple times. Some people manage to be helpful and efficient without sperging out at people who just say "hi." In fact, it's more efficient to type "how can I help you?" because it takes a lot less time.

I hope that helps you and/or the OS (original sperglord) in your job where your tenure is measured in days until alcoholism. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone who doesn't open conversations with "sup" is a four-eyed square, man