Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

I was at a wedding, met some new people. Bride is Russian, groom is Spanish, table had people from USA, China, Sweden, and Spain. They were all long-time friends.

Lots of joking with the two Chinese girls, talking about the language.
Everyone starts sharing how much they know.

I say 'I know all the Chinese I need to know'. Chinese girl says 'what?' I say 'Chabuduo'.

She looks at me a bit oddly, as if she was saying 'how do you know that?'

Someone else asks what it means. I move the plates and silverware around a bit so they're askew and say 'Ehhhhhhh, that's good enough. Nobody will care.'

She says 'yeah, that's exactly it' and both Chinese girls laugh.

Thank you, thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

thoughts and prayers posted:

I was at a wedding, met some new people. Bride is Russian, groom is Spanish, table had people from USA, China, Sweden, and Spain.

Lots of jokes about the two Chinese girls, talking about the language.
Everyone starts sharing how much they know.

I say 'I know all the Chinese I need to know'. Chinese girl says 'what?' I say 'Chabuduo'.

She looks at me a bit oddly, as if she was saying 'how do you know that?'

Someone else asks what it means. I move the plates and silverware around a bit so they're askew and say 'Ehhhhhhh, that's good enough. Nobody will care.'

She says 'yeah, that's exactly it' and both Chinese girls laugh.

Thank you, thread.

Did you bang them?

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Did you bang them?

Nope, both married. I did dance with the bride's absurdly hot Russian mom, though.

Babushka syndrome skipped her, and holy poo poo.

Out of my league though.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

thoughts and prayers posted:

Nope, both married. I did dance with the bride's absurdly hot Russian mom, though.

Babushka syndrome skipped her, and holy poo poo.

Out of my league though.

*Dances with hot russian mom, doesn't bang her*

"Eh, that's good enough."

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

JaucheCharly posted:

*Dances with hot russian mom, doesn't bang her*

"Eh, that's good enough."

Nah, it really wasn't. *sob*

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
I dont like the seething heteronormativity and undercurrent of misogyny that this thread has been displaying lately

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

who would win the china - india boarder war?

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
Flip a coin, really

India would have a billion people with sticks, China would have a billion people with guns that continously jam or backfire.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

BONGHITZ posted:

who would win the china - india boarder war?

In other words, who would use nukes first?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Two GRIPES:

(CHINA) GRIPE #1:
That girl I got annoyed with on the weekend at the restaurant (gay friend and brother in the house post a week ago) and offended hasn't really talked to me since. Then suddenly...

Puke Face, to her, means showing no emotion. I did not show any emotion while with her after hearing about her and her friend's problems. I was just annoyed and left, and that made her unlimitedly mad at me because here I am not caring about her problems. I realized she meant "poker face," and I laughed thinking about stoic, puke faced men braving hardships. "Rambo's face was puke as he watched the bombs go off in the small village."
She told me we can remain chat friends and maybe meet again before I go, but she knows I have lost all patience with her and that is my biggest fault.
I just said "ok."

So she took that as a cue to tell me her new problem. This is even better:
To continue where she left off earlier.; Her brother, whom she hates, wanted to stay in her house for 4-5 days, and the girl, instead of telling him no or she can't host him, was wanting to leave Shenzhen and go somewhere else until her brother left. She didn't want to say no because her mom would get mad at her.
Two nights ago someone, she doesn't know who, had told some random single woman and her kid that this girl lives alone and she can be bothered to get a place to sleep. The woman called her and said she needed a place to stay, so the girl actually went out to find her and bring her back to her house. For two nights this girl has had no sleep. I LOLd.

I told her I don't really have time to talk about her life as a pushover, but she said it is worse than I know. She said they were on the train going to Guangzhou now, because this woman wanted to meet some friends. This girl has some friends there so instead of taking the woman to train station so she can go to GZ and disappear, she bought all of their train tickets and all went together. She was hoping to stay the weekend (still escaping from her brother) and then return, and the woman said she needs her to also buy their tickets back to Shenzhen and she will stay in the girl's house. The girl told her her brother is already there, and the woman said the brother can sleep on the floor because she has a kid that needs the bed with her. I LOLd. The girl said there is no room for her brother on the floor, that's where she is already sleeping. I LOLd again.

The woman started telling her she has a lot of debts and not much money, so she needs a place to stay for a while. I told the loving idiot girl to delete and block the woman's phone number and Wechat immediately upon separating in Guangzhou, but the girl said that would be too rude. She couldn't see that some random stranger with a kid forcing her way into her house was "too rude." She said she will just not reply to her messages and calls from now on. I said "yes, you will, you're pathetic." She didn't argue either points.

That intense annoyance from our date flared up again, since this kind of spineless face bullshit is way too much for me to handle. I wished her luck with her new roommate. She said the woman is not a roommate, and she has a plan to fix it. I asked what. She said she will move to a new house. I was shocked. Just the thought of someone being such a loving pushover seriously made me rage. I know she would probably pay the rent on the old house so the woman wouldn't get angry at her or follow her to the new one.

I told her I had to leave, I can't talk with her, I have no respect for her as a human being, and she is pathetic. She countered with "WHY DON'T YOU FIND A 30 YEARS OLD AMERICAN WOMAN SO YOU CAN BE HAPPY! YOU HATE CHINESE PEOPLE!"

LOL.

(INDIA) GRIPE #2:
I asked my friend to help me get train tickets to his city, since I'll be living there again for a while after I arrive. He was busy on a business trip, so he asked his son to do it. My friend is older than me, has a bunch of kids, and they are all about 5-10 years younger than me. The son he asked is what I would term the "bad son." All of the kids (adults now) are great and good people, friendly, sweet, attentive, and mild mannered. Just the best bunch of children parents could ask for. Except this son.

This kid has serious attitude problems. He is nice on the surface, but I got to know him, as well as seeing the way he treats the rest of his family, and I was pretty surprised. He is extremely defiant even in the most simple of things (like take out the trash, LOL). Because of this he has no job and just putts around all day waiting to eat, chatting with some girlfriend he never met, and doing everything on his terms and his time.
So I emailed him and told him when I wanted the train, and from where, since I will be staying Mumbai a bit before going. It took him days to reply, and it was just two sentences, but he bought the train ticket.

30km+ away from where I am staying. In Mumbai weekend traffic. In summer heat. Nobody I know there has a car. I have to take a ghetto Indian taxi that distance. I have 35kg of luggage with me. The time of the train and the traffic distance means no toilets for me for like half the day. gently caress.

I feel like I can hear him laughing from here.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
just bargain extra for an airport taxi

seriously man thats not a very big deal at all, you've been out of india wayyyyy too long if thats getting you riled up

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's what my Korean friend drinks.

Rough. Maybe better than bog-standard soju, though.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

plumpy hole lever posted:

Flip a coin, really

India would have a billion people with sticks, China would have a billion people with guns that continously jam or backfire.

I see someone doesn't know how much of a flaming shitpile the INSAS rifle is.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

just bargain extra for an airport taxi

seriously man thats not a very big deal at all, you've been out of india wayyyyy too long if thats getting you riled up
I'm not coming from the airport. I am staying a little while out in a small place near the sea. There's a train station about 7km from where I will be staying, and I told him that. He got a train on a different line and from the terminus station, so I now I have go all the way down from the top of the city to BCT. Mumbai is an okay place, but traffic in some areas and during certain hours can be downright garbage. The last time I was there I had about an 8km ride to the airport and it took about an hour because of the stop-and-go. I'm not looking forward to it.

Also that part where I've been out of cars for so many years that cars tend to make me feel sick now, which I never expected to happen. I get bad headaches and dizzy. I've become Chinese.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
A lot of India's heavy equipment is Russian or Russian-derived; the Indian army is actually pretty well-equipped

Save for the INSAS apparently being a big rifle-shaped turd, as mentioned.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Haier posted:

The time of the train and the traffic distance means no toilets for me for like half the day. gently caress.

Haier, veteran of China, veteran of India, unable to come up with a convenient place to take a poo poo while traveling along the streets of Mumbai.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
Haier bro i think we found a good way for you to ease your way back into indian culture

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Pirate Radar posted:

A lot of India's heavy equipment is Russian or Russian-derived; the Indian army is actually pretty well-equipped

Save for the INSAS apparently being a big rifle-shaped turd, as mentioned.
The Indian army's major bonus over China is that they have continuously fought against guys who are actually shooting and bombing back, and many soldiers have been in real fire fights. China's firing upon monks, students, and handcuffed Uighurs isn't quite the same.

Ten gurkhas should be enough to hold off a thousand-man-deep human wave of Chinese buzzcut soldiers.

Known Lecher posted:

Haier, veteran of China, veteran of India, unable to come up with a convenient place to take a poo poo while traveling along the streets of Mumbai.
I have many times a street pissed, but never a street shitted. I did poo poo behind a baby pine tree once, while a squad of street dogs watched and waited. I also took a diarrhea splash on a moving Indian train squatter, and used the rusty steel cup provided to wash my butt. I took my pants off for that one.

Haier bro i think we found a good way for you to ease your way back into indian culture

I'm the two guys on the bottom right having a squat chat.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Haier, just hopping from one poo poo garbage culture to the next.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Also it's Friday AND raining. What a glorious drunk I'll be during lunch.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Haier posted:

I'm not coming from the airport. I am staying a little while out in a small place near the sea. There's a train station about 7km from where I will be staying, and I told him that. He got a train on a different line and from the terminus station, so I now I have go all the way down from the top of the city to BCT. Mumbai is an okay place, but traffic in some areas and during certain hours can be downright garbage. The last time I was there I had about an 8km ride to the airport and it took about an hour because of the stop-and-go. I'm not looking forward to it.

You got chabuduo'd by a spoiled lazy young man who delayed several days before doing the simple task... Sounds like China awaits you in India too.

(Indianote: My wife's cousin finally found a rishta so it sounds like we're going to India in the spring for the wedding. I'm looking forward to it because we're going to spend a day or two at the wedding and then see the sights the rest of the time. The guy she's marrying is well-off but fat, balding, and looks older than the 25 he claims. Whatever, it's not my life)

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

(INDIA) GRIPE #2:
I asked my friend to help me get train tickets to his city, since I'll be living there again for a while after I arrive.

*waggles head left and right*
"OK no problem"
*does nothing*

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Pham Nuwen posted:

You got chabuduo'd by a spoiled lazy young man who delayed several days before doing the simple task... Sounds like China awaits you in India too.

(Indianote: My wife's cousin finally found a rishta so it sounds like we're going to India in the spring for the wedding. I'm looking forward to it because we're going to spend a day or two at the wedding and then see the sights the rest of the time. The guy she's marrying is well-off but fat, balding, and looks older than the 25 he claims. Whatever, it's not my life)
India has their own brand of "good enough" that is sometimes much more frustrating than China's. At the same time... it's not in China.

Enjoy the diarrhea, haggling, getting ripped off, and more diarrhea. What places will you be in?

LentThem posted:

*waggles head left and right*
"OK no problem"
*does nothing*
Russell Peters, is that you?

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

I dont like the seething heteronormativity and undercurrent of misogyny that this thread has been displaying lately

as opposed to the glorious lgbt acceptance and feminism all of chinar shows

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

GBS threads may be bad but what about china also???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haier posted:

Russell Peters, is that you?

drat, thats cold

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

GBS threads may be bad but what about china also???

yah that was pretty whataboutist

still think lots in this thread are kinda more woman-haters than anti-chinar

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Haier it's your own fault for not sorting out your own ticket.

And if you buy the "wrong ticket" off the son of your mate, you're almost as bad and as "face"ive as the woman who couldn't stand to tell the random stranger lady to get the gently caress out of her house. Tell him to gently caress off if he insists that you pay for the ticket he bought you.

How hard is it to get to a train station yourself and buy the correct ticket?

You have become China.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Glenn Quebec posted:

Also it's Friday AND raining. What a glorious drunk I'll be during lunch.

Is it lunchtime yet? I can guarantee I never saw my Korean friend but it didn't matter.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is it lunchtime yet? I can guarantee I never saw my Korean friend but it didn't matter.

I've been back for about 15 mins and I'm sure I smell like gin and olives.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Haier posted:

India has their own brand of "good enough" that is sometimes much more frustrating than China's. At the same time... it's not in China.

Enjoy the diarrhea, haggling, getting ripped off, and more diarrhea. What places will you be in?

Delhi, Lucknow, and probably Kerala. I intend to take bottled water with me everywhere and be careful about where I eat but yeah it's probably inevitable. I will get a typhoid shot before I go, and I'm already up to date on my hepatitis vaccines. If I get malaria, I'll just sit around drinking gin and tonic until I get better.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Taipei '83:

There are a few more pictures in that gallery there. If I can find the negatives, I'll try to digitize some more. Pictures of pictures is the best I can do right now. A box of brake pads and a pack of smokes just happened to give me the right stand-off. Good enough for government work, at least.

E: lol, guess not. Phone posting is hard.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 4, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Delhi, Lucknow, and probably Kerala. I intend to take bottled water with me everywhere and be careful about where I eat but yeah it's probably inevitable. I will get a typhoid shot before I go, and I'm already up to date on my hepatitis vaccines. If I get malaria, I'll just sit around drinking gin and tonic until I get better.

Incurable debilitating disease? Sweet! Time for a bender!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Outrail posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_water

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

madeintaipei posted:

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Taipei '83:

There are a few more pictures in that gallery there. If I can find the negatives, I'll try to digitize some more. Pictures of pictures is the best I can do right now. A box of brake pads and a pack of smokes just happened to give me the right stand-off. Good enough for government work, at least.

E: lol, guess not. Phone posting is hard.

Please post more! I love seeing pictures of cities I've lived in from previous decades. For anyone who's interested, there's also: http://shulinkou.tripod.com/Dawg1.html/

If you can excuse the 90s site design, browse around that site a bit and find photos of Taipei from the 60s and 70s. It's awesome.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Outrail posted:

last time malaria was incurable was the 1850's

e: tonic for gin and tonics isn't enough
there was a bit in david arnold's crazypants cocktail book, "Liquid Intelligence", about bootleg quinine to make legit tonic with, to get the original gin and tonic
he cray

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
can anyone with any knowledge of the subject explain if there is any substance behind the recent avalanche of "China soon to be leader in AI" articles or was it all prompted by the CCP declaring that china is going to lead the field in 2020 2030

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Steakandchips posted:

How hard is it to get to a train station yourself and buy the correct ticket?

Judging from the pictures the trains in India are so full all the time that unless you book your ticket 20 years in advance the best you can hope for is standing room on top of the worst class carriage.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Fojar38 posted:

can anyone with any knowledge of the subject explain if there is any substance behind the recent avalanche of "China soon to be leader in AI" articles or was it all prompted by the CCP declaring that china is going to lead the field in 2020 2030

i do ai for a living
the answer is lolno
all the good ai chinese people are in good china, immigrated to the us or immigrated to britain
they're even thin in the ground in other western countries, for god's sake
there's a lotta good groups in tokyo and literally one good group in korea but just lol
there's more deep learning expert pi's who actually know what they're doing at berkeley outside of the actual eecs dept than in the entirety of the prc, in my estimation of what's been published

all the good journals are supposed to be international but are de facto "good american colleges + oxbridge and a few other places + toronto + montreal + ethz + like a few other places etc etc"

the actual countries that have outsized impact on deep learning poo poo: switzerland, canada, germany
the tech majors took a lot of the canadians for gigantic piles of money, same deal with a lot of the swiss and germans

curufinor fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
industry wise, also lol
everyone has to be super wise to charlatanry in ai applications and vc's in the space have learned from experience that you have to actually be able to trust the guys to not be faking poo poo and stuff like that, even more than the trust involved in normal code production, because everything to do anything is a little researchy still

does this sound like the prc to you?

anyhow, chinese nationals, sure. lotsa people on green cards faffing about in ai poo poo there. will they move back? prolly nah. maybe if the avatar of cocaine makes them

edit: the example of the extremal learning machine is pretty instructive
elman was trying that poo poo and noted that it wasn't worth a publication in 1995 or so
10 years later, this prc guy comes around and masturbates on its excellent perf on mnist
ok, people still care about mnist then. but it just doesn't replicate on any other goddamn thing
i still don't know what was up with that but the model performs on par with svm on a good day, same as echo state net w/ autoregressive svm
but the esn guy (jaeger, over in germany) never claimed jack poo poo about perf

curufinor fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 4, 2017

• Locked thread