Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
that always happens to me too :( ill probably drop back to 5k in a dozen games or so lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eeeh I was really, really stupid to think I was anywhere near 8k. I'm 12, 13k at best, I must have just gotten insanely lucky for those ten games. Lost 8 in a row now, each one worse than the last. Oh well, it'll be nice to play against people who are brain damaged enough for me to even get to the end of the game without resigning. The igs ranking system must be awful, suddenly the 8k players I'm facing are just absolutely unstoppable joseki encyclopedias who have clearly studied this game longer than I've been alive.

e: 10 in a row now :lol: I yoyod all the way from 9k to 7k and back to 8k in the space of two days. :sigh:

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 31, 2017

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
joseki doesn't matter at 7k

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
happens to me every time. I go up a rank or two in a spurt of wins, then get cocky/arrogant/start thinking im invincible, then lose a crap load and drop back down.

just come to expect a losing streak after too long of a winning streak. you'll bounce back up

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I lost 11 in a row before I finally won a couple. I've seen people say things like 'joseki doesn't matter at x rank' - I guess I'll understand what you mean when I improve some more, but that seems wrong to me. By studying joseki I've learned to both use them and notice when my opponent doesn't know the joseki I'm using and makes a suboptimal move that I can exploit. I've hit a few people with the magic sword and it became clear immediately that they didn't know what it was, and lost stones because of it. Why wouldn't joseki matter in that context? I don't necessarily always expect my opponent to react the way the book says they'll react or anything, but if they don't, it's almost always something I can punish or exploit. If it's not, it's a new trick I've learned.

Mindset is probably a huge factor in whether I feel strong or weak against these players. I should probably make sure to only play when I'm feeling confident, not tired, and not anxious about anything else, if possible.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 31, 2017

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Don't listen to anyone that's so lazy as to simply blurt out unsupported declarative statements.

Oh poo poo....

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I haven't played in at least a year, maybe even two to three at this point, but I was a solid 1d on KGS a while back. I seem to remember they made the ranks tougher at some point so maybe my old rank would translate to a current KGS 2k (if I was still in my "prime")?

I joined your discord and I'll rejoin ITGO once I register a new name. I think the last name I played as was Squiggles.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Four losses in a row, I've been comfortably ahead until loving up at the very, very last 5 moves of the game :sigh:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I was just reading about one of the big name Napoleonics game designers, Kevin Zucker. I came across an interview...

Go, the game for crotchety old grognards

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Xom posted:

joseki doesn't matter at 7k

REEEEEEEEE

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

"Yes, i got a 1 point advantage on move 12 by choosing the correct joseki out of all these josekis i learned!"
goes to endgame and is shocked when he loses by 20 points

~a 7k

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

derp posted:

"Yes, i got a 1 point advantage on move 12 by choosing the correct joseki out of all these josekis i learned!"

~a 7k

Ehhhh you probably want to learn SOME josekis to avoid losing a corner unnecessarily, like maybe only a dozen or so and none past like 10-15 (obvious) moves.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

derp posted:

~a 7k

I magic sworded a bitch recently just to see if they recognized the joseki, figuring that if they did, it's fine because it was joseki. They clearly didn't and hosed up and got destroyed early in the fuseki stage as a result. That's how I use joseki as a 7k player, mostly. As a skill check to see if my opponent either knows the joseki or knows how to exploit weaknesses in a shape, and when to do so. Joseki exist because there's an established pattern that is good for both sides and if someone doesn't know the pattern they are prone to loving it up, and if they do then they'll recognize when someone fucks it up and how to exploit it. Can you explain a little better why joseki don't matter to players of my level? This is a viewpoint I've heard before, but I've never really heard it explained all that well.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i probably shouldnt talk cause im not that far above 7k myself, but my understanding is that the gains you get from playing the right joseki are going to be sooooo far outweighed by gains/losses in the rest of the game that its a waste of time to focus so much energy on them instead of, say, learning to fight good

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Knowing simple variations of common joseki can be useful so, as others stated, you don't end up losing an entire corner position with absolutely nothing gained.

That being said I reached 1d on KGS without know all but the absolute most basic 3-4 and 4-4 joseki, maybe 10-15 total.

I just play real simple openings and refuse to let my opponent draw me into a complicated joseki. I'll take a minor point or positional loss to ensure I don't get completely smashed.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Lyon posted:

Knowing simple variations of common joseki can be useful so, as others stated, you don't end up losing an entire corner position with absolutely nothing gained.

That being said I reached 1d on KGS without know all but the absolute most basic 3-4 and 4-4 joseki, maybe 10-15 total.

I just play real simple openings and refuse to let my opponent draw me into a complicated joseki. I'll take a minor point or positional loss to ensure I don't get completely smashed.

I also go for the simplest joseki. When I'm playing stuff out at josekipedia or eidogo and it says "complex pattern" or something, I just avoid it. As others have stated, I want to know basic joseki so that I won't get out-joseki'd. Also, a lot of you are comparing "knows joseki well" to "knows basic joseki" when the real situation in sdk is "knows basic joseki" vs "doesn't know poo poo and wings it".

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think that if you're trying to improve your game, then you'll want to study both general principles that you can use to 'wing it' and also common patterns. If something happens to me enough times that I recognize the pattern across several games, then I'm probably going to try at least go back and play through some variations after the game, whether it's a joseki or not.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I should probably start looking at joseki- do you guys just look at josekipedia or do you have a book recommendation?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i use eidogo.com

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eidogo is what I use too. Very useful tool.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The weakest spot in my game right now seems to be when the sides have been pretty much hemmed in and my opponent has a space large enough that I absolutely, 100% should be able to invade and live, even if uncomfortably. I am just really loving bad at it most of the time and my opponents seem to always know exactly where the key point is. How can I improve on this? What sort of moves help create a good shape in the middle of a hostile, but reasonably large, space in the center board?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i want to say if everything is 'hemmed in' then you probably should have invaded earlier

got an example?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Maybe just rebrand invasion as "aggressive reducing". How aggressive you are depends on how much support your opponent has. You may not be able to get into their 3rd or 4th line for some sides and just have to reduce from the center.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

derp posted:

i want to say if everything is 'hemmed in' then you probably should have invaded earlier

got an example?

I'm not really sure how to post games I've played on IGS here, but yeah I have some from today.

Also:

https://twitter.com/MorningJazz69/status/893493974467563520

I suppose I should get on KGS and play with you fellows, but I just like the IGS interface soooo much better and I found it much easier to get games on

I'm on KGS as 'littleprof'

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 4, 2017

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
youve got to log onto the pandanet netplaza or whateverthehell its called. then look at your game history and you can download the sgf, then upload it to somewhere you can link to like eidogo or your OGS library if you have an account there

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What's a good place to upload an SGF to? I have an OGS account but I don't play there. I have like 550 games on pandanet IGS this year though.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

empty whippet box posted:

What's a good place to upload an SGF to? I have an OGS account but I don't play there. I have like 550 games on pandanet IGS this year though.

even if you dont play there, you can use your OGS account to store the sgf files and easily link them to people.

Eidogo is another option but you'd have to save the links in a text document somewhere or something, cause i dont think there are eidogo accounts that keep track of the games youve uploaded

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why do you guys prefer KGS, anyway?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Why do you guys prefer KGS, anyway?

i know some people don't like the weird canadian time setting that's the only option on igs.

I think most people like kgs because they are english speaking, and people on this forum play there.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There's a bunch of different time settings available on IGS, but 1 minute main / 10 minutes per 25 stones byo yomi is what everyone plays with, for the most part.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I exclusively play on ogs, is there a reason that one gets panned?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
their rating system used to be bonkers and almost no high level players play there.

the second is still true

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm currently living the go proverb "lose 100 games as fast as you can"

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
find somewhere you effed up each game, and try not to do it again

gotta lose to learn

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to train myself to be chill about losing. Being a petulant manbaby is in my DNA, I'm afraid, and I also spent way too much time playing world of warcraft and league of legends, which made it worse. But go is different since it's not a team game; the better player wins, pretty much every time, and so I can't rage against the unknowable forces of chance, I just have to see how I hosed up. Plus, I don't know why I'm in such a hurry. I was stuck at 12k+ for about a month, had a breakthrough and rocketed to 7k, and settled at 8k. That's a huge improvement really fast and it'll take me some time and studying to have another breakthrough. Most importantly I have to keep having fun as I play, which I am. I just have to stop caring about rank so much.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

I just have to stop caring about rank so much.

seriously this is the hardest but best thing to accomplish

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
one thing that helped me was playing on a few different servers. they all set me at different ranks, and thus my 'real rank' became nebulous, and a bit less important because of it. instead of saying "im 3k" i think "I'm 3k maybe? on this one site? but i could be 4 or 5k? who knows, i think im better than i was a few months ago though" its a lot less pressure when i go up or down a rank because who knows what it means anyway

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
At the same time, if I ever manage to get to an official AGA dan level ranking, I'm puttin' that poo poo on my resume.

winning a game by 4 points by creating a seki in a corner at the end of the game :smug: feels good man

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 6, 2017

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
on that subject, new ogs rating system, i lost some rank esteem oh nooooooo

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
dwyrin's latest video is pr cool. emphasizing attack for profit, not to kill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6WefDe20TI