Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Verisimilidude posted:

People talk about Canada as if people are having heart attacks and dying in droves waiting for service. The worst I hear is you have to wait a few weeks to see a doctor sometimes, and that is an issue, but the alternative is a system that encourages practices to play with people's hearts and emotions by sucking as much money out of them as possible. Paying for medical assistance doesn't mean you get better service.

Also, that literally means that lots of people are using the service. The big critique is that the system is so successful that everyone uses it, so people have to wait longer for it.

Like, if you've got a BBQ place and a McDonald's across the street from one another, and the BBQ place always has a line out the door, but the McDonald's always has at least one register free, most people aren't going to say "clearly McDonald's is the superior restaurant, what is wrong with you idiots?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Keeshhound posted:

Also, that literally means that lots of people are using the service. The big critique is that the system is so successful that everyone uses it, so people have to wait longer for it.

Like, if you've got a BBQ place and a McDonald's across the street from one another, and the BBQ place always has a line out the door, but the McDonald's always has at least one register free, most people aren't going to say "clearly McDonald's is the superior restaurant, what is wrong with you idiots?"

Remember the failed "Cash for Clunkers" program? Its failure is that it was too successful.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Donnie likes McD therefore it is better.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't think they anticipated how much people would min-max the gently caress out of cash for clunkers

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I guess YMMV by state, but I'm in PA and I've never had an unpleasant experience with the DMV. I'd go to the DMV five days in a row vs going to Comcast once.

How anyone who has tried to get their insurance company to agree to pay for anything could think a single payer system would be worse is beyond me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe I'm just lucky...but I have a DMV in my town, and unless you go on that one Saturday each month that they're open, there's never more than a 20 minute wait.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I've never had a bad experience at the DMV in midtown NYC. It's a weird paradox, I think people figure "that place will always be packed" so they don't go there, but when you go you wait at most 10 minutes before being served. For my permit test I got there early and they set me up way ahead of time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
In Massachusetts at least you can do all but the most complex of tasks online. I don't think I've been in over 5 years.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
I went to the DMV like 10 months ago for a new ID and it took over 4 hours. The time before that maybe ablut 5 or 6 years previous it took maybe 25 minutes. ymmv.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

jivjov posted:

Maybe I'm just lucky...but I have a DMV in my town, and unless you go on that one Saturday each month that they're open, there's never more than a 20 minute wait.

I've dealt with the DMV (SoS in Michigan) in Michigan, Oklahoma and Colorado and have never really had anything but quick, smooth and pleasant experiences. I think the whole "the DMV is terrible" is more mythical "common knowledge" than reality.

e: I also had comparably easy experiences in France in two different départements.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Soviet Commubot posted:

I've dealt with the DMV (SoS in Michigan) in Michigan, Oklahoma and Colorado and have never really had anything but quick, smooth and pleasant experiences. I think the whole "the DMV is terrible" is more mythical "common knowledge" than reality.

e: I also had comparably easy experiences in France in two different départements.

people HATE waiting. iirc when people are waiting for a bus studies indicate they overestimate how long they've waited by a factor of 3-5x. if someone has to wait fifteen minutes in line at the DMV they'll complain about how it took an hour

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Snowman Crossing posted:

Speaking as an American who has had health insurance for the last decade, I would really enjoy it if the screw ups were scheduling errors instead of, like, getting billed thousands of dollars for covered procedures because the provided didn't use the correct code, and then having to arm wrestle with the insurance company.

And even if everything is correct, you can get a "totally covered" surgery where initially it's like "okay, you will owe $3k, let's set up a payment plan" and then every month for a year thereafter they send you a letter telling you how much more you owe because gently caress you.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
Ugggh... just got this one.

Trump's first 6 months accomplishments.

US Debt has DECREASED under President Trump since his inauguration by (-$103) Billion.

Stock Market
In President Trump’s first six months since the election and since his inauguration the US Stock Markets are at record highs and millions of Americans are benefitting in their retirement savings accounts.

* The DOW daily closing stock market average has risen 18% since the election on November 8th. (On November 9th the DOW closed at 18,332 – yesterday on July 19th the DOW closed at 21,641 for another all time stock market closing high).
* On February 28th President Trump matched President Reagan’s 1987 record for most continuous closing high trading days when the DOW reached a new high for its 12th day in a row!
* The S&P 500 and the NASDAQ have both set new all-time highs during this period.
* The US Stock Market gained $4 trillion in wealth since Trump was elected!
* The S&P 500 also broke $20 Trillion for the first time in its history.
Veteran's Affairs
According the Department of Veterans Affairs, 526 have been fired for misconduct since President Trump took office. Another 200 have been suspended and 33 demoted.
US Debt
As of today, the US Debt has decreased under President Trump since his inauguration by (-$103) Billion.(President Obama INCREASED the US debt in his first 6 months more than $974 Billion or nearly $1 Trillion.) The difference between Presidents Trump and Obama is more than $1 Trillion.

Jobs
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics President Trump added a projected 1,027,000 jobs in his first six months (January through June 2017.) President Obama on the other hand lost more than 3,826,000 million jobs in his first six months.

Unemployment
Also according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the unemployment rate since President Trump’s inauguration decreased from 4.8% to 4.4% (January through June 2017). The unemployment rate in January 2017 was 4.8% and by June it was down to 4.4%. Unemployment under President Obama on the other hand moved in the opposite direction. In his first six months as President the US unemployment rate increased each month from 7.8% in January 2009 to 9.5% by June of 2009.

Inflation
As noted earlier this week, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the US inflation rate decreased to an eight month low in June to 1.6%. This is in part due to President Trump’s energy policies that are helping average Americans with cheaper gas and electricity.

Housing Sales
Housing sales are red-hot in the US right now. In 2011, houses for sale were on the market an average 84 days. This year, it’s just 45 days.

According to the US Census Bureau, there were nearly twice as many US housing sales in the past couple of months as there were under President Obama in 2009 during the same time period. (The annualized housing sales rate for May 2017 is reported at 610,000 where in 2009 this amount was only 376,000.)

Decrease in Regulations
One of the first things that President Trump did in office was to reduce the number or burdensome regulations put in place during the Obama era. In January President Trump signed his 2 for 1 executive order mandating that for every new regulation, two regulations needed to be revoked. Even far left Politico notes that significant new federal regulations since Trump’s inauguration have slowed to an almost total halt.

Regulations cost Americans and American companies money to implement and maintain. Reducing or halting regulations allows companies to spend their money on more prudent money making areas.

Other Results

MADE IN THE USA
The US Manufacturing Index soared to a 33 year high in President Trump’s first six months which was the best number since 1983 under President Reagan.

Illegal immigration is down almost 70% under President Trump.

NATO announced Allied spending is up $10 Billion because of President Trump.

After being nominated by President Trump, Constitutionalist Judge Neil Gorsuch was confirmed and sworn in as Supreme Court Justice in early April.

The President has signed around 150 executive orders, memoranda and proclamations as of July 19th, including:

* Dismantling Obama’s climate change initiatives.
* Travel bans for individuals from a select number of countries embroiled in terrorist atrocities.
* Enforcing regulatory reform.
* Protecting Law enforcement.
* Mandating for every new regulation to eliminate two.
* Defeating ISIS.
* Rebuilding the military.
* Building a border wall.
* Cutting funding for sanctuary cities.
* Approving pipelines.
* Reducing regulations on manufacturers.
* Placing a hiring freeze on federal employees.
* Exiting the US from the TPP.

President Trump Donates His Salary Back To the USA...
President Trump’s donation of his first-quarter salary went toward a pair of projects at a preserved Civil War battlefield in Maryland.

The First Lady Melania Trump employs only five staffers. On the other hand, Michelle Obama employed a staff of 24, with a payroll that cost taxpayers millions of dollars annually.
Is kind of interesting view of our times that the media refuses to share with us... regards.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Verisimilidude posted:

I've been to doctors who have told me depression is in my head, that I should work out more instead of take medication, or prescribe things without knowing off-hand what the side effects were.

They're technically right, given that your brain and its chemistry are inside your head.

As for exercise, it's a really good idea, and it can mean you'll need lower doses of medicine, and along with that, less intense side effects.

Of course, good luck making it to the gym when you've got to psych yourself up just to roll out of bed in the morning.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Where the gently caress else would depression be?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Mr. BT posted:

Ugggh... just got this one.

:lol: at that person glad to see Wall Street having their circlejerk over a borderline-retarded oaf running the country with a demented version of the same philosophy that broke its economy 100 years ago, having the help of his partisans glad to bleed actual workers dry if it helps speculators this quarter.

& Hmmm I wonder how Donald Trump turned around that 2008 financial collapse in just six months, could there have been anything else to blame for that turnaround? Let's only ever examine the first few months of anything, and even than only superficially! Thalidomide really helps my pregnant friend with her morning sickness :)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Soul? Stomach?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

WrenP-Complete posted:

Soul? Stomach?

Mine's in my legs.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

It's a little rain cloud floating just above your head.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. BT posted:

* The DOW daily closing stock market average has risen 18% since the election on November 8th

I haven't really thought about it, but almost 20% over 6 months? Looking forward to when this particular bubble bursts, whatever it is. :negative:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Subjunctive posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWkWJZmmTxU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr. BT posted:

Uuuuuggghh

Yeah, I call bullshit. Unemployment is following a trend established under Obama. Citing his first six months' numbers is misleading enough to be an outright falsehood. Other than maybe the Dow Jones, all of the other growth numbers are also on a course plotted by Obama.

And the "Decrease in Regulations" section needs some numbers. Surely someone in the administration researched the actual costs to the economy of government regulations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'll be honest even if I liked a president I wouldn't be attributing positive changes to them in the first 6 months, most of those things are either things he has no direct control over, or he would have indirect control over but would take years to actually pay off.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wait I thought the BLS unemployment numbers were fake

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Soul? Stomach?

Well... your gut does affect your mood :v:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Well... your gut does affect your mood :v:

:thejoke:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

It makes sense to say that Trump is the cause for all this stuff, because these people don't have a proper concept of time. Remember when they blamed Obama for TARP and the lovely economy? Same thing, but since it is their guy they're tripping over themselves to suck him off for MAGA!!1!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

J.A.B.C. posted:

It makes sense to say that Trump is the cause for all this stuff, because these people don't have a proper concept of time. Remember when they blamed Obama for TARP and the lovely economy? Same thing, but since it is their guy they're tripping over themselves to suck him off for MAGA!!1!

Give them enough time and they'll be trying to give Trump the credit for taking out Bin Laden.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder when Bin Laden got killed, Fox News constantly "misspoke" Obama Bin Laden.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder when Bin Laden got killed, Fox News constantly "misspoke" Obama Bin Laden.

Link? I remember them constantly using the spelling "Usama" for some reason but not this.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mr. BT posted:

Reminds me of something our favorite Trump supporting cartoonist linked the other day.

Dilbertman posted:

Now for some related fun. I have often said Trump supporters and anti-Trumpers are in the same movie theater but watching different movies on the same screen. You’ve seen lots of evidence of that, but I’m going to give you an experiment you can try at home. It might blow your mind.

1. Identify your most lefty, Trump-hating friend or family member.

2. Share this link (warning: Reddit) of President Trump’s accomplishments while you are in the same room so you can watch them read it.

3. Watch as your lefty friend turns “cognitively blind” to the list of accomplishments as if it is not really there. Your subject will KNOW President has accomplished nothing, and all of his or her friends know it, and the television channels they watch know it. So how-the-hell could there be in existence an extensive list of legitimate accomplishments that make perfect sense and can easily be verified?

The only way that list of accomplishments can exist in your anti-Trumper’s world is if the anti-Trumper has been in a hallucination for months, duped by the media and everyone they love. The existence of the list of accomplishments will form a crack in their reality. It simply can’t exist. That’s the trigger for cognitive blindness. The list will simply be “invisible,” but not in the literal sense, only the mental sense. If you check back in two days, your anti-Trumper will claim once again no such list exists. Watch their eyes when they say it. It will be freaky.

Some anti-Trumpers will pick any one or two items from the list, argue that they are not good for the country, and use it as an excuse to see the rest of the list as nonsense. Some will simply tell you Trump has shepherded no “major legislation” through Congress, which is true. It is also true that he intentionally waited for Congress (and Obamacare) to fail hard before he got serious. The harder they fail, and the more dire the situation, the more power the president will have to push creative solutions on a weakened Congress. Keep in mind that President Trump is a predator when it comes to deal-making. He would have been an idiot to enter the fight hard and early when Congress was at full credibility and strength. That gets you nothing but a committee-made crap-law that may or may not have your name on it. By waiting, he accumulates leverage and widens his options. That’s how I would have played it. I would wait for the lobbyists, Congress, and my critics to punch themselves out before I involved the public and put together a plan to shove down Congress’ useless throats with the help of social media.

It's a completely different list than yours with a lot of different points. I'm personally fond of the ones that Trump hasn't done, but are listed as accomplishments with explanations such as "Well he's said really loudly that he's going to do it!" Also poo poo like "He met with world leaders" being listed as an accomplishment. Like, wow, he did one of the simplest, most basic things a President is supposed to do, good job.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Reminds me of something our favorite Trump supporting cartoonist linked the other day.

It's a completely different list than yours with a lot of different points. I'm personally fond of the ones that Trump hasn't done, but are listed as accomplishments with explanations such as "Well he's said really loudly that he's going to do it!" Also poo poo like "He met with world leaders" being listed as an accomplishment. Like, wow, he did one of the simplest, most basic things a President is supposed to do, good job.

Especially when those meetings went very very poorly.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Dilbertman has gone so far off the reservation that he's now made a Dilbert comic where the guy criticising someone for taking vacation time is the good guy. And that's the shallow end of the piss pool

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
A postmodern neoliberal college professor was teaching a class on fourth wave non-binary genderfuck feminism. “Before this class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Foucault, and accept that he was the greatest philosopher of our age, and vow that you will no longer engage in kink shaming or misgendering!”

At this moment, an expert on Marxism who had read all three volumes of Capital in one sitting and could literally manifest the dialectic as a physical presence, stood up holding a copy of Engels’ The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State.

“Are you familiar historical materialism and the origin of women’s oppression as laid out by Fredrich Engels?”

The woke professor smiled subjectively and smugly replied, “Engels was a SWERF and a TERF, because he based the definition of woman upon biological sex, which does not even really exist, being just a construct designed by the patriarchy to repress transwomen and non-men.”

“Wrong,” said the dialectical warrior, “If woman were an identity, women could just identify out of their oppression, but under class society, women’s bodies are literally the means of reproduction, and the source of their oppression is the need by the ruling class to control this very means of reproduction. No man, regardless of what he identifies as, can actually become a woman and be oppressed in the way that women are.”

The professor, visibly shaken, dropped their chalk and copy of The History of Sexuality. They stormed out of the room crying socially constructed tears.

The students broke out into a spontaneous rendition of the Internationale and accepted dialectical materialism as the one true immortal science. A bear named Communism climbed atop the flagpole, raising the Soviet flag, and shed a tear on the chalk. The Communist Manifesto was read several times, and Lenin himself showed up to seize the means of production.

The professor lost their tenure and was gulaged the next day. They died of starvation after refusing to accept their situation as anything other than a socially constructed smokescreen. The professor’s name? Judith Butler.

And the brave comrade who ushered in an era of full communism? Angela Nagle.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Deceitful Penguin posted:

A postmodern neoliberal college professor was teaching a class on fourth wave non-binary genderfuck feminism. “Before this class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Foucault, and accept that he was the greatest philosopher of our age, and vow that you will no longer engage in kink shaming or misgendering!”

At this moment, an expert on Marxism who had read all three volumes of Capital in one sitting and could literally manifest the dialectic as a physical presence, stood up holding a copy of Engels’ The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State.

“Are you familiar historical materialism and the origin of women’s oppression as laid out by Fredrich Engels?”

The woke professor smiled subjectively and smugly replied, “Engels was a SWERF and a TERF, because he based the definition of woman upon biological sex, which does not even really exist, being just a construct designed by the patriarchy to repress transwomen and non-men.”

“Wrong,” said the dialectical warrior, “If woman were an identity, women could just identify out of their oppression, but under class society, women’s bodies are literally the means of reproduction, and the source of their oppression is the need by the ruling class to control this very means of reproduction. No man, regardless of what he identifies as, can actually become a woman and be oppressed in the way that women are.”

The professor, visibly shaken, dropped their chalk and copy of The History of Sexuality. They stormed out of the room crying socially constructed tears.

The students broke out into a spontaneous rendition of the Internationale and accepted dialectical materialism as the one true immortal science. A bear named Communism climbed atop the flagpole, raising the Soviet flag, and shed a tear on the chalk. The Communist Manifesto was read several times, and Lenin himself showed up to seize the means of production.

The professor lost their tenure and was gulaged the next day. They died of starvation after refusing to accept their situation as anything other than a socially constructed smokescreen. The professor’s name? Judith Butler.

And the brave comrade who ushered in an era of full communism? Angela Nagle.

And that bear was Trofim Lysenko

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Subjunctive posted:

Your physical brain is just a conduit for the greater, ever-expanding, universal Consciousness, man :350:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/02/politics/nebraska-voters-donald-trump/index.html

quote:

Asked why their support for Trump is still so strong despite no concrete legislative successes in his first six months, supporters here quickly blame "obstructionists" for failing to enact what they see is the Politboro President's aggressive agenda.

"He hasn't had the accomplishments because he hasn't had the cooperation of the majority in the supreme soviet Congress, and they need to get on board with him," said John Svec, who teaches high school government, standing on the side of the town's pool, which he manages during the summer.

These guys obviously just want to live in the Soviet Union/Russia/Belarus anyway so maybe we can get them onboard with full ML communism if we just replace words :ussr:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

lancemantis posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/02/politics/nebraska-voters-donald-trump/index.html

These guys obviously just want to live in the Soviet Union/Russia/Belarus anyway so maybe we can get them onboard with full ML communism if we just replace words :ussr:

*frowns bordigishly*

downout
Jul 6, 2009

There was an image posted in D&D some time in the past (year or two?) that debunked the concept of how people can't protest the systems they benefit from. I think the example was French workers or maybe slaves in the South? Anyone remember the image/graphic and have link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

?