Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Monglo posted:

You don't respond to words with violence. Violent against opposing political ideas is a hallmark of authoritarian regimes such as fascism. That makes everyone who punches a "Nazi" a Nazi (or a fascist) themselves making him deserving of getting punched. I haven't read through all the threads on this antifa/alt-right conflict. Sorry if I'm repeating a thing already covered.

Only if they are doing if from a position of authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You see the biggest problem with nazis is that the employ violence to political ends. In fact that's all a nazi is, someone who does that. Everyone who employs political violence is a nazi, and there's nothing else objectionable about nazis!

See also: noted nazi: nelson mandela.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Monglo posted:

You don't respond to words with violence. Violent against opposing political ideas is a hallmark of authoritarian regimes such as fascism. That makes everyone who punches a "Nazi" a Nazi (or a fascist) themselves making him deserving of getting punched. I haven't read through all the threads on this antifa/alt-right conflict. Sorry if I'm repeating a thing already covered.

Literally just "Fighting Nazis makes you the real Nazis".

Self-defence against a fascist threat doesn't make you as bad as the actual loving Nazis.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Refried Hero posted:

Except for the fact that nazism (and fascism in general, to be honest) is an inherently violent ideology. It, by its very nature, targets a group of people as 'undesirable' and seeks to remove them from the general population of the nation. A violent response to this is, probably, the most correct response, regardless of what you think about political discourse. Beyond that, allowing these people to have a platform allows them to gain legitimacy when they speak - purely by being calm and collected about how 'those people' need to be 'peacefully removed' from society.

quote:

Except for the fact that Marxism (and communism in general, to be honest) is an inherently violent ideology. It, by its very nature, targets a group of people as 'undesirable' and seeks to remove them from the general population of the nation.

hmm

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well except that that's also wrong sure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Monglo posted:

Violent against opposing political ideas is a hallmark of authoritarian regimes such as fascism. That makes everyone who punches a "Nazi" a Nazi (or a fascist) themselves making him deserving of getting punched.
If the state came out and beat someone for saying something critical of it then probably yes. If a handful of people who are not the state and work against it come out and beat someone for wanting to do genocides then probably no.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

You see the biggest problem with nazis is that the employ violence to political ends. In fact that's all a nazi is, someone who does that. Everyone who employs political violence is a nazi, and there's nothing else objectionable about nazis!

See also: noted nazi: nelson mandela.

Winnie Mandela told her followers to commit series of terrorist acts against innocent if bigoted (probably racist) people. Winnie Mandela is responsible for the killing and torture of children.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

OwlFancier posted:

I mean technically I agree with you, it would be much more efficient to employ massive collective or state action to suppress them rather than resorting to enthusiastic private enterprise :v:

Mm yes promote the fascist, after all, nobody has ever manged to convince people en-masse that fascism is good.

I don't think its promotion when its presented as something bad or worthy of mockery. That's essentially what folks like Kevin Logan are doing.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

:downswords:

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

Well except that that's also wrong sure.

*starts gunning down Kulaks for having too much land*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Winnie Mandela told her followers to commit series of terrorist acts against innocent if bigoted (probably racist) people. Winnie Mandela is responsible for the killing and torture of children.

You're responsible for the killing and torture of my brain cells.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

You're pretty dumb.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*starts gunning down Kulaks for having too much land*

That's marxist leninism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Clearly the correct way to protest is to keep having infinite Sharpeville massacres until either the state runs out of protesters to kill or some other state faces enough internal pressure and sends in the bombers, which are known to never kill innocent people or children.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Refried Hero posted:

You're pretty dumb.

he's a certified retard

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

What year are you in at school?

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Guavanaut posted:

If the state came out and beat someone for saying something critical of it then probably yes. If a handful of people who are not the state and work against it come out and beat someone for wanting to do genocides then probably no.

So, are you saying that it's unfair to call a handful of people who are not the state nazis?

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

That's marxist leninism.

Just been speed reading the Marxist-Leninist article on Wikipedia and found this

Has the Jam Man memed himself throughout space-time or something?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
IFM have you ever had full sex with a woman?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Monglo posted:

So, are you saying that it's unfair to call a handful of people who are not the state nazis?

He's saying your definition of nazi is stupid.

Which it is.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Gorn Myson posted:

What year are you in at school?

Reception

I am loving the Biff, Chip and Kipper books

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

JFairfax posted:

IFM have you ever had full sex with a woman?

What is full sex?

When you creampie inside her?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

What is full sex?

When you creampie inside her?

that's a no then you virgin shut-in

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I did not propose my definition of nazis. I just said that violent response to an opposing idea is strongly associated with authoritarian regimes such as fascism (Nazism). So if a person doesn't want to promote these ideologies, it seems to me that he also should refrain from engaging into their practices, such as violence against people he doesn't agree with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Monglo posted:

I did not propose my definition of nazis. I just said that violent response to an opposing idea is strongly associated with authoritarian regimes such as fascism (Nazism). So if a person doesn't want to promote these ideologies, it seems to me that he also should refrain from engaging into their practices, such as violence against people he doesn't agree with.

"I'm not saying political violence makes you a nazi but if you use political violence you're basically a nazi"

Either one or the other, you can't have both. Own what you're saying.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Monglo posted:

I did not propose my definition of nazis. I just said that violent response to an opposing idea is strongly associated with authoritarian regimes such as fascism (Nazism).

It's also strongly related to western democracies during WWII and the cold war.and today

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Monglo posted:

Are you disqualifying political revolution? What should have happened in Haiti, or under the czar in Russia, or in France under the old regime?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Reception

I am loving the Biff, Chip and Kipper books
So you're a teenager or someone in their twenties that still wishes they were a teenager.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
He's a disingenuous fuckwit whatever age he is.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

"I'm not saying political violence makes you a nazi but if you use political violence you're basically a nazi"

Either one or the other, you can't have both. Own what you're saying.

My point is that political violence, and I think "punching nazis" falls under that umbrella, because it's done out of political disagreement, is wrong AND has a strong connection to actual historical nazism. Which makes it wrong for a person who says he's against it to engage in. That's if we are using the traditional definition of nazism as an ideology which follows in the footsteps of Nazi Germany's.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Monglo posted:

My point is that political violence, and I think "punching nazis" falls under that umbrella, because it's done out of political disagreement, is wrong AND has a strong connection to actual historical nazism. Which makes it wrong for a person who says he's against it to engage in. That's if we are using the traditional definition of nazism as an ideology which follows in the footsteps of Nazi Germany's.

I'm sorry for feeling strongly about people who want people like me put in death camps. I'm exactly like them for telling them to shut up with a baseball bat.

Get hosed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Monglo posted:

Your point is nonsensical. I am not remotely against political violence because political violence is not why nazis are bad. You might as well suggest that art deco architecture is nazi and people should refrain from that as well.

Do you seriously think that the use of political violence to achieve a goal is why the nazis are bad? You have, perhaps, no opinions on the goals they used it to achieve? The worst thing on the list of reasons why nazism is an abhorrent ideology is that they beat people up sometimes for disagreeing with them verbally?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Monglo posted:

So what about political revolution? What should the Warsaw Ghetto have done? What should the conquered people of France have done? The American colonies?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Monglo posted:

you're saying actions taken by private individuals have the hallmarks of authoritarian regimes. if you don't recognize how blindingly stupid this argument is then i doubt i can properly explain it to you. it's the same as complaining that someone telling you to shut up is violating your first amendment rights. i'm sorry that you had to find out that you are incredibly stupid in this fashion but time heals all wounds

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

business hammocks posted:

So what about political revolution? What should the Warsaw Ghetto have done? What should the conquered people of France have done? The American colonies?

*incredibly liberal centrist voice* "Erm actually, they should have tried talking to the people trying to murder them. Did you know the truth is in the middle and both sides are bad?"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Monglo posted:

My point is that political violence, and I think "punching nazis" falls under that umbrella, because it's done out of political disagreement, is wrong AND has a strong connection to actual historical nazism.

is this man a nazi? please answer yes or no

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

So what about political revolution? What should the Warsaw Ghetto have done?

Not have the Commies backstab them?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sorry pal, they're all nazis. everyone you like? nazis. i'm a very politically astute individual, and i hate to say it but you're probably a nazi. now let me tell you how baseless accusations of racism are ruining civil discourse

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

boner confessor posted:

is this man a nazi? please answer yes or no

he was a civil rights activist with extreme and sometimes violent methods

the Magneto of black civil rights

dont put Malcolm X on the same level as a bunching of LARPing bourgies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

boner confessor posted:

sorry pal, they're all nazis. everyone you like? nazis. i'm a very politically astute individual, and i hate to say it but you're probably a nazi. now let me tell you how baseless accusations of racism are ruining civil discourse

I did nazi see this coming

what a twist

• Locked thread