Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

gmq posted:

Romance everyone, marry the rainbow.

Chase the rainbow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sofia is the worst girl and I will be very happy if she wins the vote.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

MightyPretenders posted:

Raven would be a nice candidate once she's over her neuroses.

She certainly appeals to me. Most of these lunatics weird me out too much to find them attractive.

MightyPretenders posted:

Marian and Collette will never be in the running.

For good reason. Between the two, though, Collette's less terrible, so she's at least got that going for her.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

gmq posted:

Romance everyone, marry the rainbow.
Don't spoil the strategy from my original playthrough. :mad:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Leraika posted:

She transforms on the spot. IIRC it makes a little pop! sound.

I meant more in the sense of whether she could still travel/fight with you when her legs have gone.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Zagglezig posted:

I meant more in the sense of whether she could still travel/fight with you when her legs have gone.

Yeah, she does. a n i m e

(at least I'm 99% sure; I actually soloed most of this game and last played it years ago).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Zagglezig posted:

She can travel with you just fine, she just kind of...slides along the ground. And mermaid-form Pia gains a water beam spell but loses her melee weapon.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pathfinder SRD posted:

Strongtail A few merfolk have broad, strong tails that are more suited for land travel than the typical merfolk tail. Merfolk with this racial trait have a land speed of 15 feet and a swim speed of 30 feet.
Seems reasonable to me.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Romance Gaius please, he's the only sensible one in two towns full of nutcases

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

hey girl you up posted:

Let me remind you that he tried to grow plants in a field made of crushed iron ore.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Summertime Madness

Music: Spring

Raven is so unemotional, it makes her easy to understand. But that also actually makes it hard to understand her from from her reactions.

Raven's birthday? Hmm.

Fall 16, duh.

What?
Nevermind...

Believe it or not, Raven likes flowers.

Did you ask around....what I liked? I see...thank you.

How do you even break a waterpot?

My favorite waterpot broke. I'm borrowing Grandpa's right now, but...it's just not the same.
I see.
I need to find a new waterpot. Poor, poor Mr. Sprinkles.
And Mr. Sprinkles is...?
It was the name of my loyal and trusty Tin Waterpot You know, because it sprinkled water.
I...see.
*sob*
Don't cry.

Link's a little waterpot, short and stout.

Link...I'm being serious!
I-I'm sorry...

Don't worry about it. You've done so much for me.

Like break into my house to throw tutorials at me, or give me free cologne, or...uh...that's about it, really.

Are you sure...?
Yeah. Just think of it as rent for the Sharance Tree.

Pfft, that's chump change. What was Shara so worried about?

Thank you so much! I'm going to buy a new Mr. Sprinkles with this!
That sounds like a good plan. I'm happy I could help!
Hee hee!

More quests I can bribe my way out of, please.

... (I think it'd suit Link.)
W-What?

:allears:

It's time for a bad quest.

What?! Wait, aren't Weeds available any--
Oh, I'm not in a hurry or anything. So please get it to me ASAP.
Oh, okay. (She's even more confusing today...)

Talk to her again, and...

So I just need to bring you a Weeds?
No.
Did I get that right?
No.

I hate a girl who knows what she wants.

Yoink.

Honestly, you can't do anything right!
You seem pretty happy with someone who can't do anything right!
Well, here's a reward for your troubles! Thank you, Link! I'll never ask you for help again. EVER! Hope to work together again soon!
Uh...sounds like a plan?

Oh, Evelyn.
From the looks of it, it seems like you passed her test.
Test?
She has such a strange habit. So she sometimes tests if people can understand that.
So she was stranger than normal because...?
I'm sorry if she upset you. She used to be such an honest girl...
No, that's okay. I don't dislike her for the way she is now.
Hee-hee. Actually, I thought you would say that. But you know, she only does this with people she's taken a liking to.
What?

Incidentally, I'm horrified to see the audience has received Sofia so well.

Our prize is a delicious jelly donut.

Hammer time. Charging the hammer is dubiously useful; you get multiple ores per charged hit, but it's not much of a time savings. It does seem to give you better stuff, but I'm not sure if that's confirmation bias or not.

Link's new sword cuts through desert enemies like butter. They're all getting one hit killed now!

That's a proverb from Shino and Sakuya's country! But...isn't their country in the east? Now that I think about it, that proverb is BIZARR-O!
Uh...maybe their country has two coasts?

I dunno, this hellish winter coast is pretty good right now. I'll finish that quest from Kuruna, I swear.

Last day of spring, last set of Pink Turnips.

The first day of summer is technically a festival, but there's no events or minigames associated with it. It's kind of weird.

Sherman would like us to cater a party. So...I thought that we could contribute a dish made with a vegetable you grew.
My vegetable? Okay. I'll bring something right back.
Please, wait. There's one more thing. I'd like you to make the dish yourself.
What?! Me?!
I must admit that I'm quite busy cooking the other dishes. And I'm sure you will do a fine job.
Okay. What should I make?
Let's see...Boiled Pumpkin, or Pickle Mix...Boiled Spinach, any one of these.
Okay. I'll give it a try.
Thank you.

Pumpkins grow in summer and also take a while, Pickle Mix requires both Pink Turnips and regular Turnips(which are a winter crop), and Spinach is a lightning-fast Fall crop. I'm going to go for the boiled spinach, but there's no point in leaving quests tied up while that grows.

So you get to endure Collette for now.

I...Actually, I...I want to get bigger!
Yeah, I know.
Of course. I still believe that I can get bigger some day, but I haven't changed at all. I asked Marian and all she told me was to "exercise, eat a lot and sleep!"
Why do you want to get bigger?
To become a good cook. I want to become a good cook!
I see...wait...what? Why?
Link! Please! It's to help make me bigger!
Y-Yes. Well, I'd be happy to help. (What does being bigger have to do with cooks?)
Thanks! But what should we do?
Well...for now...
I'll just try to do what Marian prescribed!
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.
Alright! First is "exercise"! Well let's go get some Apples from Privera:Stoneway!

Collette's weapon is a lollipop. No, really.

Phase two: cooking! I can do that! Just make sure I don't scarf the ingredients beforehand!

Whoa! You made a ton!
Eat well, play well! I gotta get big! Now then...time to eat! Yum yum....Yum yum...
(She tries so hard. She runs around the forest, and looks so serious cooking here. Even now, she's eating with all...) Wait...what?
Yum yum....Yum yum...
Um, Collette?
Huh, what?
Well, it's um...really hard to say this, but...
What? Go ahead?
Isn't this...How you usually are?

Link...I'm a bit tired, I think. You can eat the rest.
Huh?!

Our reward is her leftovers. Yum!

Might as well complete the set of cooking gear while I'm here and thinking about it.

One more fish to go for Kuruna's quest.

W-what should I do?!
Let's calm down first.

You know, it's kind of interesting that for all the hubbub about humans and monsters never getting along, Pia can waltz around as a mermaid just fine.

Then again it's Pia, so I'm guessing everyone immediately realized she's harmless. :v:

Fish set complete.

If you're really desperate to grind cooking skill, once you have an oven it's easy to make a shitton of bread(which just requires flour) and turn it into a shitton of toast(which requires one thing of bread in the oven).

And most fruits can be mad into jam using the pot, which is slightly more useful than turning them into juice.

Music: Monster Village

Let's do this.

Monsters usually deliver a diverse selection of food to the settlement. But they've recently stopped coming.
Could it be...HORNLESS?!
Oh, I don't think you can blame--
Hornless are NEVER without blame! Their hands are red with the blood of slaughter!
But don't you need some proof of--
It was the Hornless! Their race knows only sacking, slaughter, and subjugation!
I'm sorry. I, uh, didn't realize they were so vicious.
...No, it's my fault. I didn't explain the Hornless' malevolent nature clearly enough. I thought their misdeeds were obvious to all. You're still new here, comrade, so let me impart our settlement's most important knowledge. If you remember nothing else I tell you, I ask.that you remember this:
Hornless are the root of all evil. Even if the Hornless did not perpetrate this particular injustice, they are evil. Never forget that, comrade.
I...understand.
Your efforts will not go unrewarded. Here you are, comrade. You've fulfilled your patriotic duty today. But the struggle against the Hornless will not end in a day. I will have more trials for you at a later date, comrade.
I'll, uh, be sure to come back then.

I'd argue against her, but Link does spend a lot of time murdering monsters sending monsters back to the forest of beginnings.

Now to grab some spinach for Blaise's quest...

...and some summer seeds so I can get planting first thing tomorrow. Most summer crops keep producing after harvest; the big exception right now is pumpkins. That said, it's balanced out by a load of bullshit we'll see sooner or later.

Now that we're in Oddward Valley for non-quest purposes, we start getting clues about the boss.

And by clues I mean "Link hears more howling as he travels in a relatively straight line towards the boss room."

I'm not really sure what the point is. It'd make more sense if this was set up like the desert where there's a few different ways you could go, but here it's just one way with a couple side rooms.

Oh well. It's getting late, so let's deal with this later.

Music: Festival

Because it's summertime! Thanks to Beach Day technically being a festival, we don't get summer music yet, though.

Any spring crops we had left would have died, but I planned better than that. All this withered grass is from where the bamboo shoots were, and am I glad there's a ton of it! Plowing it into the ground rejuvinates the land, which is important since poor soil makes crops grow worse.

Summer crops are go. Lots of corn, eggplant, cucumber, and pumpkins.

The bigger question is: Why the hell are you heading into my house?

It's the day when all the girls in bikinis fall for me. Ha ha ha!
Is that it?
Oh, bro', you better not be staring at the ladies! Stare at me instead. Ha ha ha.

...I'll take it over him talking about how creepily close to Carmen he is.

Speaking of Carmen, it's been a while since I've done one of her quests. Let's fix that.

Oh, you! The atmosphere is really important...oh, well. I just need you to answer some simple questions.
Okay. (I wonder what this is?)
Well, here we go.

I guess I should go for the obvious correct answer.

My! You just get it!
???

Just keep picking the top option until it's done. That's what she wants, right? :downs:

Okay! You have a big heart.

What's wrong with the question? You say some funny things.

..Okay. Don't answer.
Really?

I could answer properly, but trolling her is more fun. :allears:

What are you fishing for?!
(I guess she didn't get the joke.)

Carlos said to look at him, so we're just following directions! :v:

Screenshots provided so you'll believe this is the actual dialogue.

Uh huh...uh huh...All done! 15 percent match. But do not give up. There is always still a chance! ...I see. I got a good idea about you now. We're done here now. Good work!
Um, what are you using these answers for?
What? J-Just as reference. You know, it's good to learn about your enemy and stuff.
I'm the enemy?
Stop probing! Here's a present for taking the time to do this. Well, dismissed!
What was that about?

If Link was any denser he'd be a black hole.

Let's check out the beach, since it's Beach Day and all.

All that Beach Day means is that most characters on the lake screen will be in swimsuits now. Woo. :geno:

Hey! Hurry up and grow your fins out so we can hop in the lake together!
I...don't have fins, if you hadn't noticed?

A few are more than just putting a swimsuit on, like how Sakuya actually lets her hair down for once. But for the most part they're nothing special.

Despite all this & the fact that Evelyn actually has a swimsuit we can buy, we can't actually swim in the lake. Immersion. :saddowns:

Instead let's help Daria with a thing.

This time, I'm looking for--The perfect! Round! Stone! So could you find it?
Ummm?
Basically, I want a Round Stone! Now go! My assistant!
W-Wait a minute! Where do I find one of those?
I wonder.
She's...
Hmmm...what to do? A Round Stone...is it a gem? Maybe I'll ask someone who's an expert on them.

Round stones: Totally a gem and not a round rock. Link is super smart.

Off to Oddward Valley!

:toot:, but that's not why we're here. And it's not even the right place(although I do get that Spinach planted). Despite half the dungeon being in shallow riverbeds, where you actually go is...

...the waterfall. Poorly translated, or just ambiguous directions? Who knows. At least we got our rock.

Although this makes me lean towards poor translation.

Bingooooooooo! It's perfect, Link!
Oh, good.
Link, you have good instincts! I'm impressed, my dear assistant!
Fine...I guess I'm your assistant.
Link...I'm sorry...to ask so much of you...
...?! What's the matter?! Why are you suddenly so timid? What?! What?! Are you really Daria?!
You don't need to use so many "?!"s.
Besides, I'm grateful. I can finally finish my sculpture. I'm so happy.
Daria...
Now! I'm going to go take it to the Privera Forest! Oh, you can go home now. Here, take this with you. Now, you just wait! For my great stage!
Rainbow!
Daria...

How could anyone hate this ball of energy and happiness and rainbows? :allears:

More equipment from chests in the desert.

It's very slightly better than my current hat. Oh well, I'll take it.

Bonus Art
It's Shara, whose entire outfit is hitting you over the head with "she's a flower girl at the flower shop who loves taking care of flowers and FLOWERS FLOWERS FLOWERS"(and whose art is way bigger than everyone else's for some reason), and the terrible bachelorette Sofia.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

Our prize is a delicious jelly donut.

You monster.

For content, when I played this game, I went for Raven, but when we get to the voting I think I will probably vote for Sofia. She is pretty boring.

Although, as long as it's not Shara, Collette or Marian, then I am good with whatever we go with.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I honestly find Sofia's gimmick to be kind of stupid, but :shrug:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

hey girl you up posted:

None of the sensible options are available, that means Gaius as well. :smith:

I wonder if Carmen gives you a better reward if you go along and doctor your preferences. Or reward you with trash or a failed dish for a zero percent matchup. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is a mermaid an honorary human because they can turn into one? Or is it more that nobody can stay mad at Pia?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
She's not a mermaid, she's a bath. Get it together people. :rolleyes:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
An Apple A Day

Music: Summer

Let's see how the soil's doing.

Unfortunately we don't get any numbers just vague good/poor stuff. And even more annoying: You can plow withered grass into soil to improve it, but it only affects that one tile. Not the 9x9 grids marked off by default, but one single plowable tile. Hope you like your uphill battles!

On the bright side, the Spinach is done!

Done. Now to re-accept and finish that quest.

Along the way...

What's the right answer?!

All three options lead to the same answer.

WRONG! The correct answer is...Turnip!
That's not even a fish!

Umm...how is it?
Wonderful. It turned out better than I thought. I'm surprised.
Oh, good.
Thank you, Link. This is to show you my appreciation. Please take it. It could be that...no, never mind. Thank you again.
It was no problem.

:toot:

Well, I thought it might suit you. You know, because you're like a girl.
What?!

Just roll with it.

Today Yue's selling accessory breads, so I buy a bunch. I actually buy too much, but at least now I won't have to worry about it competing with cooking bread for a while.

This lets me hammer out some new boots so I'm slightly less likely to die from a stiff breeze.

Or from Pia.

Wait! Scrubbing? That wasn't in the request!
I just knew you wanted to get on your knees and SCRUB! It must be telepathy! I feel like I can hear your inner voice!
Um, maybe you could listen to my actual voice first.
Chop chop, buddy! Get to scrubbin'!

Music: Home 2

Considering all the weird poo poo Link's had to do for requests, is scrubbing really that bad?

...eh, probably.

Oh, yeah. Totally.
Then just wait here. I'm almost done, too.
I could use a break. Well, guess I'll just kick back here.

All done!
Huh?!
Sorry. Keep ya waiting long, buddy?
Nah, I kept myself occupied. But you're quite...thorough.
Heh. Not exactly...It takes me longer than it should because I have to avoid turning into a mermaid! It's hard to scrub with fins!
Makes sense.
Now to put away the mop...

Hey, Pia. Isn't it hard working at a bathhouse when your fins could pop out at any second?
Yeah. It can be. But this bath is like me.
How so?
I was always alone when I lived at sea. The fish were my friends, but I couldn't talk to them. And the sea was always so dark and quiet. I only heard my own voice.
You must've been pretty lonely...
I came to this town because I wanted friends, and the first person I met was Sakuya. She handed me a mop. I didn't have to say a word.

She just handed you a mop?
Yeah! She said, "If you wanna eat, you gotta work!"
Typical Sakuya.
At first, it took me a whole day to clean the bath. But when I finally finished, Sakuya smiled. She said, "See? I knew you could do it!" Sakuya gave me a purpose that day. So I'll always have passion for cleaning the bath, no matter how long it takes me!
That's...quite inspiring.

Oops! Gotta go! Sakuya's looking for me! Nice chatting with you!
Wait, Pia! ...She's gone, I guess.
Whoopsie! Almost forgot!
Huh?
Here's your payment! Ta ta!

Something other than squid? Must have been an accident.

The rest of the day was pretty boring, so have some thoughts from Malcolm X.

Compassionate rulers are conquered rulers. History is littered with their corpses.
But don't you think that you should be a little flexible as a leader?
I'm the elder. It's my duty. I will protect this settlement with my last breath.

I wish I had more settlement quests to show off, but with only three people in town, they come pretty slow.

So let's fast forward to tomorrow and help out Sofia.

And remember Carlos' birthday at some point.

I see. Well, then I'll need to gather up some materials.
I'm counting on you.
Yeah, leave it to me!

>Eating

Well then, I can make you something homemade.
Huh...?!

>Sakuya

What?! I-I didn't mean that...well, um, that's good...
What?
H-Honestly! Never mind!

Never don't toy with people's emotions.

What?!
Ha ha! I'm kidding!

It's this town's passtime anyway.

:siren: Creep detected :siren:

Thanks! You must be in love with me as well!
I told you I like you! So come closer!
Of course!
Ahhhh!!!!

Huh? You saw the bulletin?
Well... (But I still want to go home.)
Somebody!
Oh! First I need to help Sofia.

Huh? Who are you?
A friend of Sofia's. She says the opposite of whatever she's thinking.
Ha ha ha. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Now, off with you! My dream is untouchable! I want to work and find a wonderful girl to start a lovely family with!
That's quite realistic.
Of course. I always carry a medicine box with me on trips.
Hmmm. (A glass heart?) I think they're wealthy.
That's perfectly fine! In fact, that's better! Money is never a problem.
So honest...
How wonderful...
I knew you'd say that.
I said come closer! Didn't you hear me?!
Of course!
Ahhhh!!!!
This is too complicated...you know, I think the opposites are a bit more than usual.
When she's getting emotional, it happens more often. She really isn't happy right now.
I can tell by looking.
Oh, fine... (Although this is entertaining.) Then how about you go get whatever Sofia asks you to.
What's the point?
Link will too, and we can see who's really correct.
What?!
Is that OK, Sofia?
No...!
OK then.
Wait a minute, she just said that she...
Anyway...go bring me an Apple you can't pick from Privera Forest.
Did you say something?
I guess it was just my imagination. I'll go get it for you!
What a trooper.
You go too, Link.
Oh, yeah.

Yoink.

I birthday-ambush Carlos on the way back.

That wasn't great!

Sadly, Link's pick-up lines are left to the reader's imagination.

>But I won't try

I see. That doesn't matter.

Less flirting, more delivering apples.

Sofia. Here you go.
Wait a second!

Yes. Well...well, that's about the only place around here you can find Apples.
But Sofia said she wanted an Apple that couldn't be found in Privera Forest. And so you've failed!
No, like I said...
It seems like Link won. (Although it was obvious he would.)
Impossible! All he brought was a regular Apple!
Like we said, it's the opposite. Sofia wanted an Apple that can be "found" in Privera Forest.
B-But...it's no use. I can't keep up. I'm sorry!
He went.
Well, that's good, isn't it? (I didn't like him from the start.)
Are you okay, Sofia?
Yes...it's not that I care or anything.
Anyway, thank you for everything. This is just to show my appreciation. I'll never ask you again.
Okay...
Oh... (I think that was a...)
Well, I'll come by again.
...!
...I wouldn't like that...
... (She seems happy...)

:toot:

You recycled that one, Sofia. :colbert:

This means incredible things will start happening soon. What incredible things? You'll see.

So you realize it, too.
No.
But that's the good thing about you.
I-I'm not happy to hear you say that or anything!

B-baka!

I'm not sure the last quest had enough ellipses in it. Let's go to Raven.

Oh.....I wanted to make a brooch.
A brooch?
Gaius is always...taking care of me. I wanted to thank him.
Oh, I see..
But...
Something the matter?
...Is there something funny about giving him a brooch?
Nope. I think he'd like that.
...Really?
Yes.
...What about you?
What?

So many accessories are rings and necklaces that Link had damned well better wear jewelery.

I see...Well, I'll need some hard bone for a base. Could you help me get it? Sol Terrano:The Fossil should have the bone I'm looking for.
Yeah, okay.

Uploaded less for her stat info and more for how terrible her in-game model is up close. :gonk:

Music: Sol Terrano Desert

Are you okay with the heat, Raven?
I don't really feel the heat or the cold...
Is that right...?

Out of all the weird poo poo in this game, not feeling temperature extremes barely even registers.

I don't think it's that big of deal. (sic)
Really? I think it's pretty cool that you're so calm and collected.
It's not cute, is it?
What?! No, I mean...
It's okay. I don't really care...

Ooookay then. Let's just get to that fossil.

Raven? Oh, that's right. You're scared of skulls.
That's why you wanted me to come. Well then, why didn't you say so from--
No...
What?

I'll be fine.
You don't need to...
I'm...fine.

I'm fine.
But you're shaking...
I'm fine...!

And then Raven murdered us. The end.

Ah!
Oh...!
I-I'm gonna fall...

Well, we had a good run. Shame there's no New Game+.

(Oh...what a pretty bird...Did it save me...? I should thank it...)

A pretty feather's on the ground. This feather...That bird did save me.
Link?!

Yes. I'm great!
I see..
...I'm sorry...
What? ...that skull was scaring you, wasn't it?
Yes...
Well, why were you being so stubborn then?
Well...
...I didn't want you to think that's the reason why I asked you to come.
What?
Oh, I see. Well, umm, well...anyway, let's get out of the desert! We'll just get sweaty talking here!
Oh...That feather...
This? Oh, it seems like it's from the monster that saved me.
Can I have it...?
What?
It looks like I can make an accessory out of it.
Oh, yeah. Well, sure!
Thank you.

Thanks...
You know, you and Gaius have a strong bond. It really seems like you're a family. I'm a bit jealous.
...I never had a family.
Huh?
I don't remember my parents. I never had that.
Oh, I see...
But...It's just a feeling.
What?
Gaius is...
...a Dad, I guess?
Not a brother?

Considering how he acts? Yes. Dad. Definitely Dad.

You've done so much for me...so I wanted to repay you...
Oh...okay. Thanks.
...It's nothing special.
Really, thank you. I'll take good care of it.
...Bye then...

Well that was...heartwarming?

Time to murder spiders until this drops...

...because I need it to upgrade the fishing pole.

The axe, hoe, and sickle get upgrades too. Upgrading the hoe isn't essential in the slightest, but hey, it's an excuse to grind Forging skill.

One last quest before I call it a day.

But there are humans out there...Is this settlement not enough for you?!
It's not that--
Liar!
I'm not lying. There may be humans outside, but there are things you can't find here.
For example?
Well...A vast flower field. A thundering waterfall. Or fragile ice flowers. I love walking around places like that.
...You must have a lot of time on your hands.
It's not that.
...I have never left this desert. So I'm a little jealous of a wanderer like you...
Kuruna...

I think it is pretty, too. Especially at night.

Let's see all three, with the magic of text dumps.

>You do.

What?! What are you saying?! I'm so ugly...I wish I was born a minotauros instead.

>Nothing...

Really? That's why you didn't want to stay...

And then they converge.

*sigh* I will leave the matter there. This isn't much, but I wanted you to take this home with you.
Thank you.
I'm not giving up on you.
Ha ha ha.

Please. Her hatred for the hornless burns as pure and bright as the sun. Loosening up means defeat!

Bonus Art
Behold the glory of the Univir(and a dwarf), comrade.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 4, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Haifisch posted:

But there are humans out there...Is this settlement not enough for you?!

I think you are missing a line or two here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

BlazeEmblem posted:

I think you are missing a line or two here.
Uploaded the wrong screen shots and somehow didn't notice during my editing pass, derp. :downs:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
We should marry comrade Unicorn Lady and show her the world.

Though Raven apparently also being a transformy thing like us does make it seem more fitting, I suppose...

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

This is the spot where I really started not liking Sofia, apropos of nothing. I could kind of buy the gimmick as something she does to mess with people, but keeping it up even when she's feeling directly threatened not only strains credibility but also raises all sorts of issues about things like consent that probably shouldn't be in a silly game about henshin sheep. The whole thing just comes off as really creepy to me.

Yes, I'm thinking about it too hard, but that scene would have been SO MUCH BETTER WRITTEN imho if it'd just had her break character to show that this was a serious issue.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Though Raven apparently also being a transformy thing like us does make it seem more fitting, I suppose...

And don't forget Pia. :kimchi:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Leraika posted:

This is the spot where I really started not liking Sofia, apropos of nothing. I could kind of buy the gimmick as something she does to mess with people, but keeping it up even when she's feeling directly threatened not only strains credibility but also raises all sorts of issues about things like consent that probably shouldn't be in a silly game about henshin sheep. The whole thing just comes off as really creepy to me.

Yes, I'm thinking about it too hard, but that scene would have been SO MUCH BETTER WRITTEN imho if it'd just had her break character to show that this was a serious issue.

What I feel they were going for was Sofia getting so flustered she couldn't break kayfabe after the suitor misunderstood her the first couple times. As you point out, though, it's easily interpreted differently and could have been handled better.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Sage Grimm posted:

What I feel they were going for was Sofia getting so flustered she couldn't break kayfabe after the suitor misunderstood her the first couple times. As you point out, though, it's easily interpreted differently and could have been handled better.

Well, yeah, that's what they're going for but... she's also begging someone she's repulsed by to come closer and confessing that she likes him. That's when it stops being a cute character quirk and starts being something that could get her in real loving trouble, and yet it's still treated as just a 'oh that's something she does, no we're not going to bother trying to get her to cut it out' type deal.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I went with Collette, because at the end I was sick of all the weirdness and went with the most normal girl in town. It was a close contest between her and Sakuya for "who is the most normal here".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
City Dreams

Music: Summer

Crops coming along nicely.

I-Is that true?

It doesn't even fit.

And Daria's toying with the fabric of reality.

And Karina wants to do something for once.

Uh, I'm here about your job request?
Oh...right. (What was that request about again?)
Uh, it sounded like you wanted to go somewhere.
Oh, that's right. Actually, I think it's time for me to leave this town.
Oh, okay.
Wait, what?!
I'm running away.
Whoa. Uh, isn't this a little sudden?
It's not sudden at all.
What?
I made up my mind a long time ago. (One week, actually.)
Is that right?
But I guess we should go hear what Evelyn has to say first.
What? Why Evelyn?
Well, she knows the most about the city. I'll bet there are tons of people like her in the city. People who have fun jobs and only work when they feel like it. It sounds like a dream...
Uh, I think Evelyn gets to live like that because she was born rich. I don't think growing up in the city had anything to do with it.
I choose not to believe that argument.
Ooookay...
Anyway, can you just find Evelyn for me? We can talk after that.
What? You're not coming?
No, running around and looking for her sounds pretty exhausting. It doesn't make sense for both of us to go through that, right?
*sigh*

Clearly the correct decision here is to keep enabling her. Let's go!

Not exactly. It's a little difficult to explain. It'd be better if you just came with me.
Oh, so it's a surprise?
Well, it sure was a surprise to me...
Sounds exciting!
I'm glad you're being a good sport about this.
Oh, it's no problem. I like a little mystery!
Ha ha...*sigh*

I guess you're my surprise today.
Uh, sure... (What?) Anyway, Evelyn, I was thinking about moving to the city.
The city? Which one?
It doesn't matter, as long as it's a city. Anyway, I was wondering what kind of clothes I should wear.
Clothes? You're just going to ask her about CLOTHES?
Yeah. Why?
*sigh*
You're a little strange.. Anyway, what do you think, Evelyn?
Let's see...well, I actually just finished an outfit that you could wear.
What? I can just have it?
Of course.
What?!
Let's go to my house. You can try on the outfit there.
Great!
She just gives her clothes away? It really is just a hobby for her...

Hmmm... (They're all nice.) This one, then.
I knew you'd pick that one, Karina.
...?
Link...
What?
I want to change. (Honestly, isn't that obvious?)
Oh, sorry...!

In a good way, of course.
Oh. (Phew.)
Anyway, we'll take it in a little here, and let it out a little here...
Ow, hey! Let me get out of it before you start sewing!

Keep it in your pants, Link.

Oh, sorry. I got a little carried away.
It's...okay. (It'll heal, I guess.)
Hee-hee. Anyway, it's done! Here you go.
Oh, it's perfect!
It really is. This is amazing. Link, come take a look!
Uh, okay.

It's incredible that Evelyn could use curry to make Karina's regular outfit!

It's just...wow. (In every way.)
Oh, stop. You're making me blush.
Ha ha.
This is the final touch.
Oh? That pendant...
Oh yeah. I borrowed it from Sofia. You made it, right?
Yes.
She said to take care of it. But I accidentally broke it the other day. Right, Link?
Oh, I remember the pendant. I didn't know you broke it, though.
Hmm...
Anyway, thanks, Evelyn. Let's go, Link.
What?! Now?! Didn't you want to talk about...hey, wait!
Bye bye!

I only have one question.
What?
Where is the city, anyway?

...success?

Talk to her again, and:

All things considered, it's a miracle she manages to deal with the shipping bin on time every day.

...I'm not one to kiss and tell. And I most certainly don't want you to give me them!
But if she won't tell me how to make them...what should I do?

Rare cans get fished up, and super fails happen when you try to cook non-food. And this conversation happened fairly late considering I've fished up two rare cans already.

Sakuya time.

Music: Home 2

I see...then I hope you stay friends.

>Someone important

And which one are you speaking of? Not both are you..?
No, umm...

>Who are your girls?

Huh?
No...I'm sorry.

Shino is truly a formidable foe.

That's right. You ready, Pia?
Yup. All ready!
Alright. Then you mind coming with us? We'd be in everyone's way here.
Hm? Okay.

*cough*
Well, thank you all for coming today.
Huh...?
Please just sit down and make yourselves comfortable.
Tuna should come by, too!
But then how would they be able to breathe?
Well, I'm going to sing a song!
Why?!
What?! But you said you liked my song!
Oh, honestly! Pia, you need to follow the script!
Oh, yeah! I forgot, this was that! The, um, s...Squid show.
Stand-up comedy.
Is this part of the act...?

We don't have a unique draw, so we thought we could draw in people with stand-up. What did you think?

Both lead to the same response.

Well, I didn't really need to ask.
If only I were smarter, I could come up with better material. You know, I heard there was some medicine that could help...

Oh, I'm just glad to get your opinion. We'll work on it some more. You, too, Pia! You can't rely on Link so much either.
Okay!
Oh, but, I made it this far...
No. No!
Y-Yes. Okay... (But I'm worried they might go fighting monsters if I left them be. Medicine...Maybe I should ask someone about it.)

Time for an awful idea.

Marian, is there any medicine that makes you smarter?
You mean Mental Supplement? But I guess it doesn't really make you smarter, technically. What about it?
Well, I just thought I'd want some is all.
You mean you'd take the medicine?
Well...
...!
W-What? Why did you pat my shoulder...?
You just made my day! I'll make it for you right away!
What?! Wait, I didn't ask you to--
You just wait right there!
She's not listening...

You sound surprised about how much you made...
Now, give it a try!
Oh, well, it's not for me...wait, you don't need to get me tea! I'm not staying long!
Really? Then just the water and medicine then.
No, what I'm trying to say--

Convenient that Marjorie is missing for Marian's latest case of malpractice.

*cough*! *cough*!
So?!
Huh...? Nothing seemed to have happened.
Any tingling or poison?
What did you put in it?
Then it's a success. You probably got smarter.
Hmmm...It's not like it's anything I could tell right away. But it doesn't seem to have any side effects. It's probably safe to give Sakuya.
Sakuya?
Well, she's the one who actually wanted medicine to make you smarter.
I might have come up with a new formula!
Yes, of course she's not listening. I knew she wouldn't.

at least nobody exploded this time?

I-I need to get back to human-form.

Ahhh! So cute!!
B-Bah! (I-I can't escape!)
What's going on?

Yup! It's so cute!
No, not that...

You're the wooly that helped me the other day. ...But a monster is a monster. Shoo it away.
What?!
What if something happened to a customer? Go on now.
Bah. (...)

RF3, home of zany close calls.

Huh? Why's Marian here?
Marian came to make sure Sakuya didn't take the medicine.
What?!
It seems like it creates an unbalance of rune energy in the body. Grandma said that Link might be okay, but Sakuya might not be.

And how exactly did they figure this out when Link was the only one who took it?

Oh... (That's why I transformed.)
Hmmm. So Marian's telling the truth?
Oh!
I said you just had to watch. I'm sure it was for someone else, wasn't it?
Oh...well...
I heard it was for you, Sakuya.
Why did you have to mention that?!
Hmmm. For me? What's that mean?
Oh, well...
What's so wrong with that?

You're the one that told me to stop relying on him so much.
That was about before.
Come on!
Well, let's all calm down.
Link.
Can you be quiet?
I'm sorry...
I'm going to sing now!
Why?!

Ah, they're all at it again. Well, I'm going home.
What?! Th-Then I'll go home, too...

A kind but intense innkeeper, a great businesswoman, and a strange staff member. I'm pretty sure this inn is plenty unique without needing a stand-up routine.

Our reward is the single point of INT from Marian's Medicine. No, really.

I spend the rest of the day fishing, and...

Why hello.

Legendary scales can only be fished up from the big lake in town. I hoard this one for now, but any extras will get sold since look at that sell price.

Bonus Art
It's Karina (of course.) and...Collette? Yeah, sure, Collette.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 11, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
A legendary scale?

So will we one day get the fish?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I wonder if the manzai skit was any more coherent in Japanese.

Probably not!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Our reward is the single point of INT from Marian's Medicine. No, really.

I had no idea that request actually increased your INT. :aaaaa:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's because the Sakuya-Pia skit feels like it drains three points of INT.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Leraika posted:

I wonder if the manzai skit was any more coherent in Japanese.

Probably not!

I don't think Pia is coherent in any language.

glocknar
May 17, 2017
This just highlights why I'm going to be voting for Raven or Karina when the marriage poll comes up, because they are the only bachelorettes even close to sane. Raven has done the smart thing and bunkered down, refusing to interact with the terrifying mad house that is disguised as a town beyond absolute necessity, and Karina has just given up caring about any of this at some point, making her a rock of sanity. Now it's just a question of which one is more likely to end up catching the crazy as soon as we tie the knot.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

They're both boring as hell, imho

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well, I mean, if your choices are between Squall Leonhart and Garfield the cat...

At least Pia's oddness isn't a danger to herself or others. Neither is Daria's, really, unless you're her "assistant".

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

KataraniSword posted:

Well, I mean, if your choices are between Squall Leonhart and Garfield the cat...

At least Pia's oddness isn't a danger to herself or others. Neither is Daria's, really, unless you're her "assistant".

She's a threat to the Splatoon franchise

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TurnipFritter posted:

She's a threat to the Splatoon franchise

I stand by what I said, she only brings good to this world :colbert:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If we don't pick Comrade Unicorn I'll launch a coup in this LP!

Unless it involves her liberalizing, in which case it's better to stay away from her I suppose...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If we don't pick Comrade Unicorn I'll launch a coup in this LP!

Unless it involves her liberalizing, in which case it's better to stay away from her I suppose...
I'd bet dollars to donuts Kuruna's character arc involves learning that humans aren't all bad and cooperation and THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP are stronger than the Communist Party.

Currently I'd be voting for Pia, because at least her flavor of insanity is relatively benign, and is explainable by her being a literal fish out of water. I mean, she probably learned human behavior and etiquette from a seagull or dolphin or something.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
By the way Haifisch, if you want to update your OP with a link, there is now an LP of RF2 from LordHippoman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

someone awful. posted:

They're both boring as hell, imho

Are you telling me ellipses don't capitvate you...?

ThornBrain posted:

By the way Haifisch, if you want to update your OP with a link, there is now an LP of RF2 from LordHippoman.
Done. I've played a bit of RF2 to scratch the itch without getting too far ahead of where this LP is, and man it's insane how much smoother everything got in the span of one game.

In other words I'm glad LordHippoman gets to LP RF2 and not me. :v:

• Locked thread