Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Raise your hand if you take seriously Zaphod calling someone a troll in this thread.

Zaphod.

Of all people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Walrus posted:

I would never accuse zaphod of being willfully ignorant

:colbert:

I'm here because I like game of thrones and want it to be better. All of my arguments are made in earnest. I hate trolling. Trolling isn't just arguing dude.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hi I am Zaphod and I wish I was the mod of Game of Thrones.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

:colbert:

I'm here because I like game of thrones and want it to be better. All of my arguments are made in earnest. I hate trolling. Trolling isn't just arguing dude.

Too bad, cuz all of us other posters want to make it worse.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I want them to stop pretending to be some deep or high brow or complex or whatever show anymore and just embrace the schlock

I want more Grey Worm hanging dong and less pretend scheming

its clear they're hack writers who can't do subtlety or good writing so just be schlock

its ok, schlock can be good. Don't continue to ruin the show by aiming higher than you can jump

they can't do anything really upper tier so just gimme big dumb spectacle every single episode

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, when Littlefinger was talking about some poo poo and the girls were practicing their routine in the background in Season 1.

High art.

Or Theon loving the odd girl on the boat or fingering his sister. Good stuff.

Take off your rose tinted goggles. The show has always been medieval shlock.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The biggest problem I have with the show, and why I'm so keen to bash it, is that it used to be so loving good. If the quality had always been what it is now I probably wouldn't be so harsh about it. But compared to seasons 1-4 the drop off in seasons 5-7 is undeniable. And it's not just rose colored glasses, I do a rewatch every year and those first 4 seasons still hold up for me.

I don't disagree with you but I would point out that this is possibly due to the source material getting worse as well. I have heard many people express that A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons weren't as good as the first 3 books.

I think an interesting idea would have been if more of the main characters had a full season of not being on the show at all, like Bran was through Season 5. That would have freed up more time to showcase other characters without cutting whole plotlines. Plus many of the characters have a spot in their story where they are just in a single place not doing much (except for "training") for a while, like Arya in Braavos, Jon at the Wall, or Sam at Oldtown.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Season 4 and 2 had massive problems and to a lesser extent so did 3. The only truly "high art" season is 1, the rest is simply really great tv.

I mean, have you guys seen S2 recently..? It's got LF acting completely retarded there, Jon's plotline sucking rear end, Cat's motives for freeing Jaime making no sense given that Bran wasn't reported to be dead and Dany's plot being poo poo from A to B (don't pretend you remember anything about it or the big black guy). Tyrion and Theon were great in S2, the rest ranged from fairly good to pretty crap. It had two fantastic episodes, one of them centering around battle. If it released now, it would be COMPLETELY shat on but it didn't and it instead released right after the masterpiece which was S1.

Oh and S4's problems were MUCH worse than what S7 currently has. Have you guys forgotten the Yara break out plot already? Or Karl Tanner?

Season 5 stands out the most, the rest of the show outside of S1 is pretty loving awesome tbh.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
karl tanner is a fooking legend

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Episode 4 was part of that hack and leaked today, so watch yer self out there folks.

E: apparently it was part of a separate unrelated breach

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

King of Foolians posted:

I think an interesting idea would have been if more of the main characters had a full season of not being on the show at all, like Bran was through Season 5. That would have freed up more time to showcase other characters without cutting whole plotlines. Plus many of the characters have a spot in their story where they are just in a single place not doing much (except for "training") for a while, like Arya in Braavos, Jon at the Wall, or Sam at Oldtown.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind if they had cut some of the "I guess we have to have them do something?" segments, though I can understand why they didn't.

BillBear posted:

Cat's motives for freeing Jaime making no sense given that Bran wasn't reported to be dead
I thought her motive was to get her children back? I don't recall Bran even entering into the equation.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I hope that Jonsnow gets all the gems and takes them back and kills the zombies!!!!

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
He will befriend them much like he did with the evil wildlings

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

fruit on the bottom posted:

The posts calling out people who disagree with you on the show as trolls are the worst posts in this thread. Like worse than "let's cut Arya and Danerys"

Arya is my favorite character but she's not a warg, her faceless man plot goes nowhere in the show she's literally just tying up of lose ends. My point was if you were adapting the books who/what would you cut merge together who would you shift around.

King of Foolians posted:

This probably would've worked but I think actor's guild contracts make this a no go? Like the faceless men is two whole seasons of nothing she's somehow no one but now she's Arya Stark and he's happy? It's obvious they were stalling for Martin so I do have a bit a sympathy but that ending did not land well

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hope sunday's ep shows an unarmored dothraki horde charging a pike phalanx and winning. Also the pike phalanx is far away from Dragonstone.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hope sunday's ep shows an unarmored dothraki horde charging a pike phalanx and winning. Also the pike phalanx is far away from Dragonstone.

Me too

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phi230 posted:

And I won't hear otherwise!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

zoux posted:

Episode 4 was part of that hack and leaked today, so watch yer self out there folks.

E: apparently it was part of a separate unrelated breach

It's a great episode, even the spoiler forum agrees. Can't wait to see it in HD.

e: Saw the 360 version and it owns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barreft posted:

It's a great episode, even the spoiler forum agrees. Can't wait to see it in HD.

e: Saw the 360 version and it owns.

Gah spoiled that it's great

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Who is Karl Tanner?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Uh, a loving fookin' legend?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phi230 posted:

He drank booze out of Mormont's skull. That's pretty loving legendary.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

zoux posted:

lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tenzarin posted:

Who is Karl Tanner?

The easiest paycheck Burn Gorman ever cashed.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Jonsnow and his friend Onion will mine up ALL the magic gems and KILL the zombies in the north!!!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Jonsnow and his friend Onion will mine up ALL the magic gems and KILL the zombies in the north!!!

Good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Phi230 posted:

I want them to stop pretending to be some deep or high brow or complex or whatever show anymore and just embrace the schlock

I want more Grey Worm hanging dong and less pretend scheming

its clear they're hack writers who can't do subtlety or good writing so just be schlock

its ok, schlock can be good. Don't continue to ruin the show by aiming higher than you can jump

they can't do anything really upper tier so just gimme big dumb spectacle every single episode

Well we already had Spartacus.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I know not to go on the internet on sunday until I watch this, unfortunetely they leaked or whatever ep4 apparently and I got immediately spoiled, just 1 season, just 1, not get spoiled, just one, one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

zoux posted:

I think the 4th episode of almost every season of GoT has had some of the best "oh holy poo poo" and "gently caress yeah" moments, especially towards the end of each of them. This season's episode 4 was on a whole other level though.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 5, 2017

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Honestly I agree about spoilers, but all my friends are more hyped then ever after hearing some details. Just don't google the script or piratebay the episode and you'll be fine. That said I piratebay'd the SD leak and I'm more excited then ever to see it in HD on Sunday, so everyone reacts to spoilers different I guess.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I know not to go on the internet on sunday until I watch this, unfortunetely they leaked or whatever ep4 apparently and I got immediately spoiled, just 1 season, just 1, not get spoiled, just one, one.

Do you mean just 1 episode? Otherwise I'm lost on how to read this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are there really people who can't wait a day?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

business hammocks posted:

Are you mad that the episode was leaked?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It just doesn't seem that urgent. I could see the whole season being worth downloading in fuzzy megaupload vision, but you've already waiting a year and a half so why not just watch on tv a day later?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I think a lot of people get off specifically on spoiling it for others. Other people probably just wanna see it asap before it gets spoiled.

But yeah, I'll just wait and watch it in proper HD.

teagone posted:

Are you mad that the episode was leaked?

lol "u mad bro?" comeon teagone

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The new episode was so good. Im going to watch it when it re-airs so I can watch it in HD

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

lol "u mad bro?" comeon teagone

I tried my best to make it not sound like that, but I guess there was no way around it haha. Guess I could have used "annoyed"? There are fans angry on the internet about it being leaked though, which why I was quick to judge.

It just doesn't seem that urgent. I could see the whole season being worth downloading in fuzzy megaupload vision, but you've already waiting a year and a half so why not just watch on tv a day later?

It's not urgent at all. But if I can watch anything early I personally will. I love when I get invited to advance movie screenings, and this leaked episode (and the leaked episodes from season 5) is kinda similar. It's not like I'm not going to watch it again on Sunday. This upcoming episode even moreso because it's loving amazing.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The quality isn't even bad at all, it's just in 360p. Watching it on a 60" tv I'm sure will look like poo poo but a monitor it's okay.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah quality was fine on the 40" TV in my den. Was like DVD screener-ish quality, slightly worse. I wasn't about to go waste a low bitrate leak in my home theater setup, no way. Which is why I still can't wait for Sunday :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I watched the leaked ep because it was sent to me by two separate people who I know will spoil it for me later today if I hadn't watched it.

It was really good.

Even this thread will probably like it, although there are a few things I can see being nitpicked in my mind already. But still. Really good.

• Locked thread